Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

i have clear liquid for a full week after then I see the dr and he moves me to puree foods that is a week long then i can have foods with lumps like cottage cheese and applesause with lumps then week 4 see the dr then regular food... that will be the first of the year for me... sorry to hear u have no gas x it is a blessing 1! good luck !

Hello,

Purpleshell~ I would think one glass of wine would be fine as lond as it's not sparkling/bubbly.

Vicky~ You did great eating out!

Heather~ I think mushies are a little more advanced than pureed. pureed should be blended with a blender, mushies are soft like scrambled eggs and soft cheese.

Today is my last work day until January 3rd, YAHOO!!

Have a good day, Joan

Ok after pureed I have "soft food" that's probably mushies.

I gotta start preparing, any of you do puree yet? Not sure what to eat. Think it said like thinned chicken salad, pureed refried Beans, cottage cheese etc...

I'm day 4 and I'm fine today. Back to my regular routine, gone out shopping and stuff, not tired, stomach is a tad sore, but not much gas.

I'm on pureed/mushies. I have pureed chilli all the time with a bit of shredded cheese. It goes down nice, has tonssss of Protein and it tastes wonderful lol. I've also had scrambled eggs and low fat corned beef hash (which is super mushy). I'm not into sweets so these type of foods are right up my alley so I'm not feeling deprived; plus those types of foods really fill me up. :)

pureed chili sounds yummy I will have to try that, I can move on to pureed foods on Tuesday I think. I was able to eat Jell-o today (first time since surgery) I'm taking it real slow I don't want to do to much too soon, even though my stomach just growled. First time since Tuesday pre surgery.

Thanks everyone for your input. It makes me feel better to know that what I'm being told here isn't too far off what you're doing over there.

Thanks Joan for the reminder re: bubbly. The restaurant we are going to on Christmas day has bubbly included. I will just order a glass of wine from the menu instead :)

Has anyone tried fine Breakfast Oats with skim milk yet? I need the fibre IYKWIM but forgot to check with my Dr.

My Dr is very pleased with my efforts so far and said the weight I've lost so far is "on the house" and not due to the band. I've lost 9 kilos since the day of my surgery ( thats nearly 20 lb) The real weight loss will be noticed after my 3rd fill apparently. He told me that he will only gradually add to fill to my band and I won't notice much restriction until the 3rd fill. I was a bit disappointed hearing this at first, as I've read that many people's first fill is a big one but happy now and glad to be taking it slow.

Glad to hear people are recovering well and feeling much better.

Thank you for all your support!

Day 2 post surgery, and all is well. Everything has gone very smoothly, very little pain, able to sleep on side and back and able to drink my liquids with no problems. I only took the pain meds three times and don't feel they are needed anymore. I am very happy with my decision so far.

Purpleshell,

I had my banding three days ago in Spain -- my doctor said he is more agressive about getting his patients back on solid foods. I am on liquids for three days, soft foods for 4, and back to "regular" food the second week, with restrictions. There seems to be a lot of variety in how doctors approach aftercare eating, but the big thing I was told was to listen to my body -- if I'm overdoing, my stomach will let me know! :)

I'm on pureed/mushies. I have pureed chilli all the time with a bit of shredded cheese. It goes down nice, has tonssss of Protein and it tastes wonderful lol. I've also had scrambled eggs and low fat corned beef hash (which is super mushy). I'm not into sweets so these type of foods are right up my alley so I'm not feeling deprived; plus those types of foods really fill me up. :)

Ooh that sounds good, I'm gonna get some hummus, try maybe chicken or egg salad, refried Beans with salsa, and maybe some oatmeal.< /p>

I'm getting a little concerned about my vacation to Vegas next week! but this menu is far broader than I had originally thought it was, I should be ok, I'll just bring a bunch of Protein Shakes with me, also maybe sneak out of dinner and go gambling instead laugh.gif so my parents can enjoy their real food.< /p>

Purpleshell,

I had my banding three days ago in Spain -- my doctor said he is more agressive about getting his patients back on solid foods. I am on liquids for three days, soft foods for 4, and back to "regular" food the second week, with restrictions. There seems to be a lot of variety in how doctors approach aftercare eating, but the big thing I was told was to listen to my body -- if I'm overdoing, my stomach will let me know! :)

Wow that is quick, I mean I guess it doesn't really matter, I hate the liquid but i like using this time to adjust to not eating, and forgetting about food and I'm much more grateful to get to eat something real tomorrow! My full regimen is 25 days, Liquid for 5, Puree for 10, then Soft Foods for 10 then I can eat normal food. Well besides the liquid it is essentially real food which is good, I mean not everything obviously but it's still fairly normal.

I was banded yesterday the 17th. I had a hiatal hernia repair also and my chest had been sore for a few days before surgery due to the coughing from the reflux. In oct when they found hernia I was told it was a small hernia. When it was repaired it was apparently quite large. When I was woke from anesthesia I had so much pain in my chest and felt as though I couldn't breathe but she kept telling me my oxygen was fine but it hurt. It doesn't hurt today and my stomach is sore but not too terrible. I have had very little gas pain thankfully.

It is so strange how all docs have different post op diets. In my book from the doctors office there is a schedule of foods that you slowly add. I will share my schedule and hope it helps..

Days 1-2 Clear Liquids (which is day of pre-op and day of surgery)

Days 3-4 add full liquids v-8 juice thin Soups and yogurt

days 5-6 add sf applesauce pudding smoothies and bananas

day 7 add mashed potatoes, cream of wheat (no grits, rice Pasta or peanut butter) well cooked veggies, vegetable Soup and legumes

days 8-10 add sweet potato, oatmeal, soft boiled eggs, low fat cottage cheese and no sugar added canned pears

days 11-12 slowly add fresh fruits. continue Protein supplement drink 64 oz of sf no calorie Fluid like crystal light, propel, or Water.< /p>

Day 14 slowly add baked fish, tuna, whole grain toast or crackers, small amount of brown rice, whole grain pasta, vegetables (except asparagus, celery, corn) and whole grain Cereal granola bars, Protein Bars. decrease Protein Shake to 1 or less daily

day 16-18 (approx 3-4wks) try baked turkey and chicken

at 8 wks and after you can move to lean ground beef, gradually add roast beef, ham and turkey sausage. Steak should be last.

I was banded yesterday the 17th. I had a hiatal hernia repair also and my chest had been sore for a few days before surgery due to the coughing from the reflux. In oct when they found hernia I was told it was a small hernia. When it was repaired it was apparently quite large. When I was woke from anesthesia I had so much pain in my chest and felt as though I couldn't breathe but she kept telling me my oxygen was fine but it hurt. It doesn't hurt today and my stomach is sore but not too terrible. I have had very little gas pain thankfully.

It is so strange how all docs have different post op diets. In my book from the doctors office there is a schedule of foods that you slowly add. I will share my schedule and hope it helps..

Days 1-2 clear liquids (which is day of pre-op and day of surgery)

Days 3-4 add full liquids v-8 juice thin Soups and yogurt

days 5-6 add sf applesauce pudding smoothies and bananas

day 7 add mashed potatoes, cream of wheat (no grits, rice Pasta or peanut butter) well cooked veggies, vegetable Soup and legumes

days 8-10 add sweet potato, oatmeal, soft boiled eggs, low fat cottage cheese and no sugar added canned pears

days 11-12 slowly add fresh fruits. continue Protein supplement drink 64 oz of sf no calorie Fluid like crystal light, propel, or Water.< /p>

Day 14 slowly add baked fish, tuna, whole grain toast or crackers, small amount of brown rice, whole grain pasta, vegetables (except asparagus, celery, corn) and whole grain cereal granola bars, protein bars. decrease Protein Shake to 1 or less daily

day 16-18 (approx 3-4wks) try baked turkey and chicken

at 8 wks and after you can move to lean ground beef, gradually add roast beef, ham and turkey sausage. Steak should be last.

Ours is painfully slow

2 days clear liquids post op

Day 3: one to two weeks post op general liquids

3 to 4 weeks post op pureed foods

4 to 5 weeks post you can add things like eggs cottage cheese, oatmeal cream of wheat etc....

6 to 7 weeks post op soft Proteins like tuna, ground chicken, turkey etc...

8 to 10 weeks post op you can start adding un ground foods very slowly.

We are told to avoid all starches like potatoes, pasta, rice and bread, to have them rarely and in very small portions.

Again the discrepancies between drs is laughable.

Pam, the book I have from my doctor has those guidelines, but it's for Gastric Bypass. Interesting.

I think Pasta because it has no nutrients or anything of value. Moist bread expands in your stomach because of the gluten and you likely won't be able to keep it down. I guess to avoid problems, also after eating Protein, then veggies, probably not much room left for carbs.

I bought all my food for my purees tomorrow I'm so excited!! Fresh & Easy has some good premade things, they have small containers of egg salad and several flavors of hummus, makes things easier. :D

Wow its so interesting what we're being told to eat and not eat. Thanks for posting what you're Dr's have told you. It helps me make decisions and not feel so bad. Glad to see another overseas bandster on here too- ckeely

I'm day 13 post op today and still rather scared to eat anything with lumps, even though I've been told by week 4 I'll be back on normal foods. I'm still blending all my food, but letting my Soups become a little thicker. For lunch today I'm eating an avocado and plain yoghurt dip that I made and using an oat cracker to dip into it. I'm biting off the smallest amount of the cracker at a time and chewing it to a pulp laugh.gif

What I really miss is washing my food down with a drink. My Dr. didn't really go into this but from what I've read on here its not the best idea.

I'm staying away from rice, potatoes, corn and Pasta due to the high carbs. I lost a lot of weight years ago by eliminating these from my diet, so I thought I would give myself a head start and do it again. I haven't been told to by my Dr. but I know it makes sense for me. I don't want to live forever without these in my diet if I don't have too though.

I'm on holidays now, so have to really watch myself. HeatherinCA- I think you'll be fine in Vegas. There will be so many other things to distract you :) I have a friend who was banded over a year ago now, but she said buffet were the best for her as she could eat small amounts and go back to the buffet but over a longer period of time. A set meal was harder for her to eat. I guess you'll just have to have a tiny spoonful of a lot of things- just for the taste :) Have a great time.

Anyone rewarding themselves for their losses? I usually always reward myself with food. So now I have decided that for every 7-10 kilos (14-22lb) I will buy myself some clothes a size smaller. I don't want to buy too many as I hope to not fit them for too long, but thought it would be a more suitable reward than food. What are you doing?

Is anyone out there not losing weight? I'm post op day 4 and I'm liquids only and I haven't lost a pound. During the pre-op diet, I lost 20 pounds but right now I'm stuck! I wouldn't mind so much but I would like the scale to move a little bit since I'm going through all this pain and gas stuff! The only thing I'm eating is clear liquids, Isopure, Protein Shakes and some brothy Soups. Any ideas?