Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to my fellow November Bandsters!!

Today will be a challenge for many of us!! But let's all just do our best and remember to be thankful for this opportunity that we have been given to change our lives for the better!

Have a wonderful day!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you too! No turkey for me.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you too! No turkey for me.

So I am curious to know how you, and all of us, fared on Thanksgiving? I am far enough out on my surgery, and doing well enough, that I had a little taste of everything. What was interesting to me, however, was how much less I ate. And it still felt like a LOT. I had a few bites of hors d'oeuvres first, and small amounts of all other things...and then I was able to eat just over half of what was on my plate. I hated stopping, but I was full and the food ceased to be so appealing.

I have also tried a little wine since surgery...anyone else had any, and how did that go?

And...much to be thankful for, I would say!

Deb WS

weight.png

Banded Nov. 3, 2010

Brigham and Womens Hospital, Boston

Dr. Malcolm Robinson, Surgeon

Dear all,

I was banded on 3rd November 2010 by Dr Stephen Watson in Perth. I found my first week to be the worst, terrible shoulder pain was the worst of the pain, nausea and light headedness was hard to get used to aswell. Other than that, transition from Fluids to Mushies to solids has been very easy and at the moment I am finding that I am able to eat almost everything and am feeling very hungry most of the time now so I am really looking forward to my first fill which is due on 1st December 2010. I am a little disappointed in that I have not lost as much weight as I was hoping to judging from other individuals posts on other forums. I have only lost kg in three weeks so am a little disapointed in that.

Good to hear other opinions on their weight loss.

Good Luck everyone.

Rene

I think i did okay for my 1st Thanksgiving! I got the word to start on the mushy food phase on Monday. So yesterday, I had a little turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing and one small bite of cheesecake. I think I did ok. I chewed everything really well and ate using small bites. I thought I woud be tempted to eat more, but surprisingly, I didn't !

Hi,

I was banded on November 17th. I think I am progressing well. Eating, really drinking, liquids and some mushy foods. Can't wait to pass through this phase! Down 10 pounds and 6 1/2 inches since surgery!!

Diane

I'm starting this thread on the post-op site, hoping that November 2010 Bandsters will post their responses and comments here.

My procedure is tomorrow, November 3, and I'll try to hang out here. Would welcome company!

Deb WS

weight.png

I'm hanging in there too. every day I have less gas floating around and less soreness. I was banded on 11/17 and was back to work on 11/19 - so not much down time.

I have been losing about a pound a day (from pre op through now) and I hope that stays until I move to mushies. I have a full 2 week liquid diet so I have almost another week to go. I also have my first post op appt on 12/2 (my bday :))

For Thanksgiving I had exactly 2 bites of mashed potatoes, 1 bite of pumpkin pie, 2 bites of applesauce and half of a deviled egg. That was pretty much my first attempt to have mushy foods. It did just go down and sit there like a rock. Like I am not ready so I am glad I didn't overdo it.

I can't believe how quickly I am dropping weight... I haven't incorporated my normal gym routine yet (just not enough energy) but I hope I can keep up a steady loss even when moving on to foods.

Happy black Friday!

Hi!

Had my first massage since band on 11/9. It was like HEAVEN. This whole thing has destroyed my back so much, since I can't sleep the way I need to since the band, and it really helped so much to see the massage therapist.

I am not losing at all- in fact, I put on two pounds since the lowest since the surgery. I have no restriction- nothing- and didn't right after the band, either. I could easily sip 8oz Protein Shake in a couple of minutes, even the day after I got home from surgery. I worry I'm one of those with so little restriction in the band as placed that it will take me forever to get to restriction and lose. And that make me sad- it's easy to get disheartened! I can eat as much as I want, and I am trying to be good, but without this extra tool, I'm sure my portion sizes are 4 times as big as they will be once I get restriction.

I"m just trying to eat as healthy as I can and work out as much as I can (easier to do with the extra food!) and prepare for restriction... whenever that may be. I'm happy for those of you with quicker loss/restriction after surgery- my gosh, there seem to be a lot of you in november!

Hi All! Hope everyone survived Thanksgiving! I was banded on Nov. 8th and was told that I could start on solids the 29th...I started a few days early! I had a deviled egg, mashed potatoes and alittle stuffing which all went down easy since I'm not restricted yet. Just got to get through Christmas...getting my 1st fill on 12/28!

HI EVERYONE GLAD TO HEAR EVERYONE IS DOING GOOD. I WAS BANDED N0V.3 AND AM FEELING SO MUCH BETTER SINCE BEING ON A PUREE DIET IT HAS GIVEN ME BACK MY ENERGY!! MY NEXT VISIT TO THE DR. IS DEC.2 AND I WILL HAVE MY FIRST FILL. I HAVENT BEEN HUNGRY AND HAVE BEEN ABLE TO EAT THREE SMALL MEALS A DAY. MY WT. LOSS IS 15 LBS AND THAT WAS THE FIRST WEEK. I HAVE NOT LOST ANYMORE WT. BUT MY TUMMY IS GOING DOWN NICELY! WELL THE NEXT STAGE IS SOFT FOODS IM LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT. THANKS EVERYONE ONE FOR YOUR POST IT REALLY HELPS TO HEAR EVERYONES PROGRESS AND LITTLE PAINS AND WORRIES. MY PORT AREA STILL HURTS A LITTLE WHEN I LAY ON MY SIDE BUT BETTER EVERY DAY.WELL GOD BLESS AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYONE.

Thanksgiving was wonderful for me...i am 17 days post op and I eat food just long as it's healthy and I chew it to make it mushy...which takes forever...lol...I also count calories and don't do liquid calories unless i had less then 800 calories a day...but since thanksgiving I have been meeting a 1000-1200 calories...which is cool cause I be full for 4-5 hours after a meal. I also Have lost weight nice amount of weight. the first week post op when I was doing just shakes and not even getting 800 calories I lost 3 lbs.... two days later I was down another pound, then 3 days out of no where i lost 3 more lbs and not since then i have lost 9 more lbs which means that by my first fill which is dec 9th cause my doc says 4 weeks is fine for a fill...I will probably be down 30 lbs...which is my goal and I am half way there already only 14 more pounds to go...plus I started exercising today which was wonderful......yesterday I brought my first pair of 24's since i was 17....amazing and when i started I wore 30's-32's....yay!!!!!!!!!!

Praying that everyone gets to enjoy their journey and lose as much as they wished for!!!

God bless

Great to hear from a number of you regarding your Thanksgiving experiences. I felt good about the way I survived Thanksgiving -- without eating too much, and without my father-in-law (who tends to have many opinions about how much people weigh) opening his mouth. I also had my first comment from someone who hadn't seen me in a while, who said, "Have you lost weight? You look fabulous." That was so, so nice...to put on a jacket I haven't worn in a while and have it fit much more comfortably, to know that my pants look better...these are blessings.

So now I suspect we all face the long progression of "holiday month," where, everywhere we turn, there are parties and sweets and Snacks. I am trying to remind myself that calcium chews are really like sweets, and so a craving for a treat should be followed by, not preceding, a Calcium chew (what a game to play with myself, but it works).

How's everyone doing? I go to my surgeon on Dec. 15 for a check-up and my first fill. Since I note that my appetite has increased a bit, I am glad, but wishing it were a little sooner!

Best to all,

Deb WS

weight.png

Hi all! Is anyone else not receiving e-mails when you get a reply to a thread? Ever swince they re-vamped the site, no more e-mails! Bummer!

How is everyones weekend? i go back to work tomorrow after a lovely 4 day weekend. Now the rush is on until Holiday recess in about a month! I am actaully looking forward to going back to work because it keeps me in routine. I am constantly busy and do not think about eating as much. I am still strugglig with Portion Control and eating the right things.

Last night I made a great low cal turkey rice casserole. It was basically like a turkey Soup without all of the broth. But it was delish! I know I took more that I should of, but I was starving!! I did chew it slowly and very well, while taking small bites. I really need my nex appt to come soon so I can discuss a fill. My appt is on 12/21 and I cannot do this battle every single day! I do it, because I did this surgerty for a reason. But I can't live my life like this forever!

I am 5 days post-op and feeling much better. First 3 nights I could only sleep on my right side, but now I'm doing fine on both sides and back. My port area was very tender at first, hard to sit down, get up, turn, etc. That is mostly 100% better! My only problem seems to be burping. I burp a lot and it usually hurts! dry.gif I have read of other people having the same problem though. It hurts in my diaphragm area, which I guess is due to the hernia stitching....?

Is anyone taking a B12 supplement? What brand do you use, and is it chewable or liquid? I think the B12 has a lot to do with people's increased energy. I'm supposed to start that with the mushy food, I think. I'm REALLY looking forward to mushy food!

Hi! I'm new to this site and not sure exactly how to post, but here goes. I was banded on the 11/22/2010 .. I think I'm doing pretty good. I plan to return to work tomorrow. My surgeon has me on a liquid diet for 3 weeks, after that we move to a "pudding consistency" diet for another 3 weeks before starting the "re-feed" process. Prior to the surgery, there was no specific diet to follow. My surgery was outpatient and within a few hours of surgery I was home. The recovery room nurses advised me to walk as soon and as much as possible so the "air" would not make me uncomfortable. I have to admit, I haven't had any issues with it.. thank goodness!

I'm just not real sure what I'm feeling... I have 3-4oz at a time and I guess I'm just feeling full... I just hope it's not too full... how do you know when it's too much?

Thanks!

I too need my restriction! Ive been eating the recommend foods (pure mushies) but its hard to control portions because I feel like Im always hungry. I need to start watching my calories too. Im only down 6lbs since surgery, but they did warn me that when I hit musies I might gain some, so having a maintain with a little loss still feels good to me. I did also put on a coat that I havent worn in 3 years and it fit! Good thing too because it was an expensive coat, and Im gonna need it, since Im moving from Cali to Missouri in a little over a week.