Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

In reply to your post stl, try not to be too down-hearted. I'm sure it's hard for you to read our success stories and not be embarrassed or peeved off that you are not in the same position as us at the moment. Something for you to contemplate is that while majority of us have lost a substantial amount of weight, we haven't faced the hardship you have. If you place it in a different perspective, you are where we were in January/February this year, and I know I hadn't lost a HUGE amount by this stage. I feel so sorry for you that the beginning of your journey did not run smoothly, it must have been terrible to go through. Don't worry too much about the fact that you don't have much restriction after your second fill, I didn't really start to feel mine until the 3rd fill, but each person is different and you may take a couple more. Having said that, I did quickly realise that I still have to exercise my own personal control as well. As soon as you feel that feeling of becoming full, whoa nellie, otherwise it can turn ugly (in the form of pain).

I think that while you have faced something that most of haven't, you're still trying and that's the main thing. You could have opted to have the band removed and stop trying altogether, you didn't. Give it a couple more months and I'm sure you'll find that you have started sailing along (or rather down) those scales. I find that when I think positive, or try to when i'm on a bit of a downer... it makes eating better and exercising easier. I don't come on here so much anymore, but if you want you can drop me a line in my email (kaseyslessar@hotmail.com) Happy to support you through this rough patch! :cursing:

Ok.....confession time.....

I have not been logging in for several months, mostly because I have not been losing weight for several months.

Between my first and second fill (March) my port flipped and I had to have a revision surgery. I started getting so discouraged about the second surgery.

Since then, I have not lost any weight. In fact, I have gained (to the point that I now weigh 2 lbs heavier than I did the day of surgery).

I have some restriction but not enough to make me stop eating. I am really having a hard time staying motivated when I am not seeing any results.

I am so happy for all you December banders who are doing so well. Does any one have any advice on how to make it through the rough spots? :cursing:

I'm sorry you've been having problems with your band. That has to suck.

Can you go back in for another adjustment? In addition to eating less with restriction, have you been exercising? I must admit, that if I don't exercise, my weight loss stalls. I can't rely on my band alone any more to lose weight. Which is a good thing, but I must do my part.

Perhaps you should go back to the basics. Very small portions, lots of Water, exercise, and of course, adjustments to your band. You can do it!

stl -

You are not alone. After 3 difficult fills (under flouro) and my restriction fading so quickly, my surgeon suspected an issue. Sure enough, my band flipped, and all the poking around to access it caused a leak. It was late March by the time we figured this out, and because my ins changed Jan2010, I had to pay cash for my port revision. I was not able to get the revision until late May. So I, too, feel way behind the game. I so much wanted to be under 300 by this time, and can't seem to crack 320. Having to revise all my goals was so disheartening, I stopping logging/graphing my weight.

It has been a slow go to "get back on the wagon", since I has essentially been living like I didn't have the band from March until my revision. I'm still re-learning the "rules." I'm due for a fill - definitely have some restriction, but not enough. I had my first EVER sliming/PB episode and i was so happy! :tongue_smilie:At least I know my band is working and I'm figuring out my limits.

I read the posts occasionally for inspiration. I know I will get there eventually - and so will you!

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I have really been having a hard time. I have had a couple episodes of gurgling and vomiting, so I think that the solution may be to have some Fluid taken out.

The good news is that I am drinking enough Water, taking my multi, and exercising like crazy. Typically, I burn about 1,000 calories in exercise a day. I would say the large part of my problem is that sometimes I get pain on the first bite. I then drink a sip of water (I know it is against the rules, but when it hurts so bad you have to) and then I loose everything I just ate. I walk away from the table hungry. So then I start munching, usually on convenient foods, which typically are really bad for me. When I am this discouraged, I find it really hard to make wise food choices. That said, I track my calories and I am not eating more than I exercise out. I understand that I am not following the band rules perfectly, but still feel like my lifestyle is healthy enough that I should not be gaining so rapidly (approx 2lbs a week). I just feel like there is some other component mediating this whole thing. All I know is that I am not in control of my body and it is really scary.

I am going to see the Dr on Wednesday. Maybe she will have some good advice.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words.

I'm still here.

At a slow yet steady rate....averaging still 5lbs a month.

It's been 5 weeks since i had a fill- I have to decide next week if I want a small one or if I should stay where I am at.

How long does restriction last once you get to the sweet spot?? I don't want to push it since I know I have restriction but seem okay eating anything after 10am.

Joy,

My doc says that as your weight decreases you also loose fat around your stomach where the band is, which causes the band to loosen over time between fills. That's why 4 or 5 weeks after a fill the restriction becomes less and you can eat a bit more than right after a fill. After say 6 months the fat between the band & stomach is gone so then you should be at the "sweet spot". The time of course will differ from person to person & to the amount of weight lost.

Does that help any or make any sense?

Good luck all - keep up the good work.

I feel like I'm not losing as much as I should. I'm exercising and eating less, but still only lose 4-5 lbs a month. I was losing more at first. In April I lost 10 pounds and in May I lost 12, now I'm lucky to lose 1 lb a week. Any advice?

Just wondering if you know of a clothing swap or if we could maybe do one?

I am looking for 16's and have some 22's to get rid of. I have just been wearing really big clothes and refuse to go back to work wearing the same things when I go back in a few weeks. Maybe even some 18's would fit you know how sizes vary at every store you go to.

Let me know.

I finally got my second fill. I'm so happy! I hope this help with the wl. I've been stalled no matter what I've tried. Just had to share with people who really know my excitement! :)

I finally got my second fill. I'm so happy! I hope this help with the wl. I've been stalled no matter what I've tried. Just had to share with people who really know my excitement! :)

You were banded in December 2009 and just now got your second fill? Damn, girl, why? I think I've had like 6 or 7 fills now. I'm glad this fill seems to be working for you. I'm just curious why you haven't had more.

You were banded in December 2009 and just now got your second fill? Damn, girl, why? I think I've had like 6 or 7 fills now. I'm glad this fill seems to be working for you. I'm just curious why you haven't had more.

YES I have been so frustrated. I have a hernia just above the band. When I had surgery they were suppose to fix it but decided it wasn't bad enough to. Since every time I go for a fill under flouro they tell me no fill do to reflux. I had 3 cc's at time of surgery and first fill was 1.5. I have lost 32 lbs. All due to dieting, white knuckling, exercising IMHO. I struggle everyday and sometimes have wanted to say f it. I really hope this helps. I got .5 today. He tried to do 1 cc then went down to 3/4. He did try. I don't want to push it and have problems but dang it. I've dieted for years. I had the band for a reason.

Well, I am still waiting for the appt with my new doc for my 3rd fill. My doctor left, and there was a 3 month wait for the one who was taking his patients. Ugh.

I am past being able or willing to choose to just no eat. I can't wait until the 2nd!

missyms

Who are you going to? I am not doing very well. I messed up and gained back about 7 pounds. I am so frustrated. I just can't keep it together. I have restriction, but I want to eat everything that is bad for me. I even quit exercising. I need to get myself back on track. I do ok for about 2 weeks then I fall of my rocker. I know what I need to do, but how do I make myself do it???

I spent a lot of my summer working at an overnight girl scout summer camp. It was hard eating every meal in front of people I didn't know well enough to share my medical history with.

I didn't lose any weight while I was there, which is crazy because I have consistently lost 10 lbs a month since surgery.

I got back home a few weeks ago and it was such a relief. I was able to eat as slowly and as little as I wanted without feeling like people would think I was anorexic.

The weight is coming off again. I was a little sad because I am trying to fit into my wedding dress by October. It is about a size 12 I would say.

Well I took some pics just to update where I am and see if I could tell a difference since I left for camp. The difference is HUGE! My body is a totally different shape. I think I gained a tone of muscle or something and that is why it didn't look like I lost lbs.

I tried on my dress just to see before I left for camp I was like 4 inches away from it zipping. It fits! Well, I can get it on, it doesn't look quite right but I know it will totally fit or maybe need to be taken in by October.

:cursing::thumbup:

Ok fellow bandster's I am having a very difficult time right now and need some words of encouragement.....:thumbup: I have not lost but 4 lbs in the last 8 weeks...I also have not been the best exerciser or watcher of what I put in my mouth....I seem to have fallen down and am having a hard time getting up again!

I lost my sister in March...My parents who have lived in the same area as me my entire life have now moved to Missouri, my husband how I love dearly has decided to become very possessive and insecure so I seem to be taking better care of him than me.....I know I just hit a bump in the road but thought I would handle these better than I have...I am going to see a different surgeon tomorrow. My surgeon is 6 hours away from where I live and I don't seem to make it over to the Front Range as often as I need to for adjustment. I was forced to chose that surgeon because of insurance reasons...I now have different insurance and can see one in my area...I hope that will help me....I have also joined a local gym, as walking and swimming don't seem to be cutting it anymore....I'm sorry if I sound like I am whinning but that is probably what I am doing.....Just need a little encouragement to pick myself up and get going again....You guys are always great for that! I will keep you posted as to my progress after seeing the surgeon tomorrow!