Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

Happy Me....I am right there with you....Banded Dec 2nd 2009 and I have lost a total of 20 pounds and I have done EVERYTHING they have said. I am super frustrated and I don't know what to do. I am at 6ccs and I cant go ant further because i get really sick when they fill it more and when they take some out I can eat anything. You are not alone. I am right here with you.

Guess the saying is true that misery loves company because I was "glad" (for lack of a better word) to see that I am not the only one that this surgery has not worked for. It's even worse because NOBODY (friends/family) thought I "needed" it and now that I did it and haven't lost ANY weight, they all are giving me the silent "I told you" looks. Very disheartning and disappointing. I tried EVERY diet/exercise/liposuction/massage/pill/ and still, here I sit... :angry:

Hi all I have accomplished a lot in the last year. I have defiantly had my battles but am trying my best to keep being successful. I had issues with the band being toooo tight and eventually had to have all but 1 cc in a 10 cc band removed. I have been struggling to keep within 5 lbs of my lowest weigh. I go up 5 lose 5. It is kind of good because I can eat everything. I have lost 84 lbs to date and am very proud of that considering all of the issues I did run into.. I will be starting to get my band filled up again on the 18th. I will be asking for at least 1.5 ccs for my fill. I want to get this losing back on the road...

Clothes I went from a size 24, 3-4x to a size 14-16 pants and a l-xl in shirts. I am sooo proud of myself. I have read a few posts of individuals who are not having some of the same success.... i hope that you are able to go back to where you had your surgery and have them help you, I have an amazing support team from where I had surgery. I am hoping everyone else does as well...

Hope everyone continues to have some success in the next year and a half. Huggzz all around...

Hello, everyone! I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of most of these posts. I really feel for those of you who had not had success. And I'm quite envious of those of you who are near or at goal!! After 1.5 years, I've lost 69 pounds, and I'm still about 44 pounds from my "100% happy" goal. I had made a list of fourteen goals with #8 being 100% happy and everything after that as bonus. I'm less than two pounds from hitting my goal of losing half of my excess weight, which my surgeon considers a successful band. At times I've not been too fond of "Esther" (as my band has come to be called), but all in all I'm happy with the surgery. I have been losing very slowly because I've taken my own approach...I just couldn't imagine a life without some guilty pleasures, so I have not followed any particular diet. The band has helped rein in my hunger and control some of the things I eat. Best of all, if I do lose control, my weight stays fairly stable, whereas in the past I'd gain and gain. I might gain a few pounds, but it usually falls back off when I get myself under control. I can't eat bread, potatoes, or Pasta, but I don't mourn them like I thought I would. I mean, if my husband has fries, it's difficult, but I might take a tiny bite, and it helps me deal. I've lost track, but I think I have 5.75cc in my 10-cc band. I've had a lot of discomfort lately and might have some taken out. I also want to get back on track to losing more quickly. I have a group of band girls that meet regularly (for dinner, ha ha). We had decided after a year that the support group through the surgeon was filled with cranky RNYers, so we broke off. It's been interesting living with Esther. I couldn't have taken off 69 pounds without her, and while I'd like to have lost more, I feel like we still have a lifetime together.

Hello, Hello! I was banded Dec 3, 2009 and I am soooooo excited to say that I am just about through losing. I have a few more lbs (becasue I want a buffer, lol) and am enjoying my new body so much. I feel really healthy, my body confidence is so much higher and I can do so many more things. Things I never really thought about before, so didn't miss. Now I think "how could I have never done these things!?"

I just started facilitating two lap band meetings in my area and am happy to have the accountability as I learn about maintenance. I am currently saving up for the reconstructive surgery I hope to have by the end of this year. Its been a WONDERFUL journey for me and I am so happy to have had this forum to come to during the tough times. THANK YOU!

~Mya

YEA YEA YEA Well done! I am close to my goal and have about another 12 pounds to go. Sure seems slow the closer I get. I am chasing after those last few pounds and hope to see a plastic surgeon in August and schedule some work before the end of the year as well. I wish there were better options for arms and inner thigh skin though. The belly scar does not seem to bad and totally worth it. I am so happy in my new body but after spending my entire life up and down on the scale, I still worry about this not lasting and ending up heavy again. Honestly it feels like the band has done most of the work, my food choices are not always so great but the band wont let me over eat or pig out on carbs. Wondering if any of this sounds familiar....

Hey all! Hope everyone's doing well! I've had my band for a bit over a year now, and while I have no regrets and would highly recommend it, it seems I'm at a standstill with my weight loss. I'm down at 163 from 235 and I can't seem to get the scale to budge from that! In addition, I've developed terrible acid reflux. I'm going in for an esophagram next week and a visit, I haven't seen my doctor or had a fill in quite some time, so maybe that's attributing to the lack of weight loss. But the acid business is awful- it keeps me up at night, and there are weird gurgling sounds coming from inside. Not from my stomach, more from my esophagus. Had anyone else had this? I really don't want to be taking reflux pills for the rest of my life, so I'm hoping this is something that will pass.

Great job on your weight loss! I too have been experiencing the acid reflux. The nights are no fun at all. I sleep with a few pillows and still it wakes me up feeling like acid went down my airway. I am thinking it might be that I have a cup of coffee in the morning and I was noticing my Dr. has a no caffiene rule in his book. Also I might be eating too late at night before going to bed. How did your esophagram go? My last fill was about a year ago. so I find it odd that this is just now a problem.

Why can't I find this anymore?

Update your weight loss folks on our spreadsheet-

don't forget its under community, social groups, spreadsheet

we are rounding out our 6 months banded let's support one another in our journey!

Hi Delights! I was hesitant to even read this thread because I am so disappointed with my band and results and I knew reading all of your success stories would make me feel worse about my lack thereof... I was banded Dec 7, 2009 and I have NOT LOST ONE POUND. I have actually gained 3 lbs since then. I have 10cc's in an 11cc band and haven't been back to the doctor in over 6 months. There is no leak (as of last check) all 10cc's are there, the band just never got tight enough for me to cut back on the foods I like. Breads - no problem! Anyway, just checking in and sending sincere CONGRATS to all my fellow December Delights on all your successes!

I think it's well beyond time for a second opinion!!!!

Great job on your weight loss! I too have been experiencing the acid reflux. The nights are no fun at all. I sleep with a few pillows and still it wakes me up feeling like acid went down my airway. I am thinking it might be that I have a cup of coffee in the morning and I was noticing my Dr. has a no caffiene rule in his book. Also I might be eating too late at night before going to bed. How did your esophagram go? My last fill was about a year ago. so I find it odd that this is just now a problem.

According to my doc... this aspirating means your band is a wee too tight. Acid reflux could mean slipped band :( I know that he gave me strict orders to come straight to him when either of these things happen. =/ Or, as you said, eating just before laying down for bed could cause either of these. I haven't experienced either one til my most recent fill last week. So, I am trying to time myself before I haul myself in for an unfill.

I have had the gurgling a lot. Since I was first banded. lol Sometimes it's embarrassing! Haha!

Charise = i dont remember ever getting into that spreadsheet, so I cant help there. I know with my band I have had to work out it. I constantly monitor what I eat and work out 5 times a week. That is awesome that your band is working so well for you!!

Nebraska - wow girl!! You are doing awesome. Me and you are neck and neck. We started out and about the same weight too. I was at 330. My goal is to be 185, but ultimately want to be at 175 one day. Hoping after I get this excess tummy skin removed (maybe next year), I will reach my goal. You are doing a great job!!! Crazy to think you have lost a whole other person, isnt it?

How is everyone doing now that we are 2 years out??

Does anyone still check in here? I know I fell of the face of the earth.

By the doctors scales I have lost 70lbs in 2 years.

It has gone ALOT slower than I anticipated and I don't know if I will ever get to my goal of 150.

However, I am much happier than ever before so if this is as good as it gets I will take it.

I had an aggressive fill yesterday ( .50cc) eek.gif so I am staying on the liquid diet for a few days and hoping to kickstart some weight loss back in.

New Joy and all our bandsters,

I still keep track of this thread.

New Joy, stay with it. Getting a fresh fill and going back to the basics (i.e. start with liquid again) will renew your resolve and will get you to your goal. It took me a year and a half and I too went back to liquid to jumpstart my second attempt to reach my goal early last year and it worked. So, I have no doubt that you will get there!

If you need someone to talk to, please post. I will respond. This system works and sometimes, all you need is a little support. My dietician was the greatest ally I had! He always called back and kept me on track. He left the clinic I used last year and I really miss his help. The other dietician talked to me also and she is just as great!!!!!!!

Stay with it everyone! Sometimes you just have to start over to get to your goal!

Anthony

weight.png

Hey everyone! I am sad to hear that some of you are having problems with your band but happy that you are still posting here and trying hard.

I have lost around 90 lbs so far. Losing goes slow but that is okay with me. There is a definite pattern to the way I lose: down 2, up four, down 5. I am getting close to my mini-goal and it's almost a little scary. When I realize it and feel anxious, I notice that I have a bad day...eating more junk, etc. I think that is fear-based self sabatoge but haven't figured out what I am afraid of.

I have gone from 22-24 to 16-18 now. When I look in the mirror, I still see the same person I always did. That's not necessarily a bad thing because I never really saw myself as "fat" weird, I know :) My body is smaller but the shape is still the same, though.

I definitely LOVE not being tied to food or plus-size clothing stores anymore. I have more energy. My sleep apnea has improved by 75% and the pain in my ankle is not as severe.

I have had one fill since being banded and my doctor says I am doing great. :) I am starting to play with the idea of a Tummy Tuck or body lift when all is said and done. I had said I never would (surgery for vanity sake) but it seems a shame to not finish the job I started.

For those of you who are still struggling, don't give up.

So happy to hear from some of you.

Today is my 32nd bday and I am happy to say I officially reached my goal today of losing half myself!! I started out at 330 and today I offically weigh 165. It is such a crazy feeling to be at goal. I am hoping for a Tummy Tuck this summer. That will just be icing on the cake for me.

Don't give up!