Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

Was the PB in the 1st 10 days when you had restriction or recently?

Both PB have been recently.....NOT in the 10 days that I felt restricted. Monday monrning was the pizza, this morning was the bagel.

I normally don't eat until 9:30 and I usually have yogurt for Breakfast.< /p>

Both PB have been recently.....NOT in the 10 days that I felt restricted. Monday monrning was the pizza, this morning was the bagel.

I normally don't eat until 9:30 and I usually have yogurt for breakfast.

PBing and restriction are two different things. Having true restriction means you can eat a cup of solid food and stay full for 3-4 hours. You can PB any time and not be resticted. If you are getting hungry inbetween meals you probably need a fill. Best wishes and hugs your way...

@ Mushsbat - My surgeon says 3 meals a day, but my PCP says 5 to 6. I follow my PCP, as I have a thyroid thing and she says to have small meals often, will keep my metabolism up.

@ Karyn - Sorry to hear you have not been well and that you are having problems with tightness. I hope it settles down in the next day or so. Just after my last fill I had a drink of Water, it did not go down right away and came out my nose instead!!!! Thank goodness there was no one around to see. Small sips from now on.

@ Dottie - To be high-fived by your surgeon must make you feel really good. Great job with your minus 6! I'm getting sweeter, but maybe not at full sweetness yet, hard to tell as I'm sticking to the 3 days of liquid/2 of mushies post fill diet.

@ New Joy - I would stay away from breads, sounds as if they are forming a dough ball and can't get thru the band, as you can eat other things I would say you are not too tight.

@ Ara - It seems that the past 5 months have just been our training period and now the 'chew, chew, chew and small sips really kicks in. Take care.

And now I have a funny story to tell - I was at the supermarket yesterday and as I am walking around I thought, "My jeans are really feeling baggie". I was surprised they felt so baggie, just one day after my fill - could I have lost a bunch of weight over night??? Now I am feeling really good and swaggering up and down the aisles. As I loaded the groceries into the car I am again amazed how my legs can move inside my jeans. I get home and then notice not only is my zipper undone, but also the button is too. I am so lucky my pants did not fall down in the parking lot!!!!! Once I did my pants up they felt normal again.

Viv - You are so darn cute! Thanks for the laugh!.. it made me spit up more Water (ha)!

New Joy - IMHO, it sounds like you might need a fill. I'd recommend a small one. Also, at the point we're at now, I really think all those LB rules are becomming more and more vital (i.e. chicklet-sized bites, knowing what you can and can't eat and chewing to mush). There isn't a lot of rooom for error now (literally and figuratively).

As for me, I've made my decision. The swelling isn't going down (maybe because of the cough - IDK). I've been struggling to keep fluids down for two days now which has been bearable, but not fun. Then last night I woke-up from a dead sleep unable to breathe. My air passage was blocked. I had aspirated Fluid that hadn't gotten past my band, into my lungs. Frightening feeling - like I was drowning. So, with the weekend coming, I don't want to take the chance of becoming dehydrated. I weighed 203 Wednesday morning before the fill and 195 this morning. As thrilled as I am to see a number that starts with a 1, I know that 8 pounds in two days is not weight loss, but water loss.

I'm heading to the doctor's. I'll let you know how it turns out. Have a great day everyone!

UPDATE: I heart water!! I have a new love and appreciation for that cool, crisp, wonderfully thirst-quencing drink! I can't stop drinking it. The doctor took out 1cc (I'm down to 6) and I can swallow liquids again. I feel SO MUCH better!

Great! I'm pleased to hear you are comfortable again.

Hi...i was banded 12.1.09 n i have only lost 7lbs since surgery. i am very disgusted with myself...i have had 3 fills thus far...4 some reason my surgeon won't tell me how much he has filled my band with...i still don't feel full after a saucer of food...im not making horrible food choices and i exercise 3 days a week...i just dnt know what 2 do...preop i was 296...now im 279....has anyone else had this to happen? oh, ive changed jobs, so my insurance wont kick in until june 1st..i already have an appt. with a new doc on the 2nd of june. does anyone have any suggestions or words of encouragement?

@ SteffiB - I think you have made the right decision in changing doctors. Any surgeon who can not treat you as an adult and be honest with you about your fills is not worth much in my opinion! You may have had a slow start, but with a new doc, who hopefully will be more respectful of you and will give you the fills that are right to get you to the sweet spot. Have him/her check how much fill you have in your band already. Hang in there, June is not too far away. Keep us posted.

Hi steff... I agree with Viv and think that you made the right decision by changing docs. What I've also come to realize is that, this is a process - - a slow process. In the months following surgery, until you feel real restriction, weight loss, if there is any, has little to do with the band. First, there's a healing period (no saline in the band - or very little), then you get a couple of fills (some saline in the band but not enough to keep hunger at bay for long). food goes right past the band, so you can eat more than you think you should be able to. In those first few months following surgery I think we're adjusting to life with a band - learning how to take really small bites, eat right and chew. Some start exercising, which helps with the weight loss. It's hard not to feel discouraged because the weight isn't falling-off. Tell you what, on April 5th, I weighed two pounds more than I did on March 5th, which is... frustrating to say the least. So I guess what I'm saying is, HANG IN THERE! Once you feel restriction, the weight will start coming-off.

Thank you Viv and Missy! :biggrin:

Karyn: I'm so glad you had some (or all ) of that fill taken out. I've had that same experience twice and it scared the pants off of me. I'm sorry you had to go through it, too. I couldn't swallow my own saliva during the night and woke up choking a million times - then just stopped trying and went to the doctor. As soon as that fill came out, I was my normal self again. Sounds like your fills are going to end up at .5 or .3 CCs like mine. I'm so relieved you're feeling better, though.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello to my fellow December bandsters. I don't post a lot but I have read a ton and have found this site quite helpful and insightful at times. I wish everyone the best on this journey. I know it can be tough w/ all the adjustments and the fickleness of the band but for me it's been a life changer for the better. Like many of you, I'm not at ideal restriction yet either but I've committed myself to changing my eating and living the healthiest life I can. The bands gonna have to catch up w/ me :eek:

All the best,

Lauren

I've committed myself to changing my eating and living the healthiest life I can.

Lauren

Hi Lauren, I think your statement (above) is the key to making the band successful, we cannot expect to eat and live the same way as before being banded. Realizing that we have to change those old ways of eating etc and commit ourselves to a new lifestyle will bring us to the best healthy and hopefully longest life we can have. :eek:

I haven't gotten any emails lately so I thought everyone was just being quiet!

Lauren - so true! You can't expect the band to work for you if you don't work with it.

However this baby has a major sweet tooth and made me gain a few pounds already.

Hi ppl...im new to this so bear with me...i was banded 12.01.09 n i havent lost any weight! Well, 17lbs..ive had 3 fills n i dnt know how much is in my band b/c my surgeon won't tell me! All he does is degrade me n tell me how i am the worst pt he has ever had...encouraging huh?...I am not making terrible food choices and i try 2 exercise at least 3 days a week...has anyone else had not so good with the band? Im just so disgusted and depressed abt this. I am on here to find some support b/c i dnt really have anyone to talk to abt what im going thru. does anyone have any suggestions? oh, i have since moved to another city due to my job and i have another surgeon that i am gonna start seeing...BUT my insurance doesnt kick in until june 1st...my appt is june 2nd lol...