Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

As I've said before, I take my official weight on Monday mornings, but I still weigh most mornings. Last night, before putting my pajamas on and hopping in bed, I got on the scales. When I saw it read 248 and change, I knew that this morning's weight would be really good. And I wasn't disappointed! 245.6!!!! Now let's see if I can keep up whatever it is I'm doing and have that weight or less on Monday morning! :wink:

I had my surgery 12-17. All went well, but it seems they are taking their time with fills. i just had my second fill and still feel very little to no restriction. They don't want to do another fill for 4 weeks. Is that normal. I am trying to watch portion size and have lost 22 lbs, but most of that was the liquids for so long. Any advice going forward into my new life?

Good job! Everybody is different and everybody's body reacts differently. I bet in addition to different doctors having different treatment plans, they probably have a different plan for each of their patients based on what they learned about them pre-op! So, I think the most important thing is to be open and honest with your doctor (and yourself) about what you are and are not doing in regards to eating and exercise.

I think in addition to watching portion size, it’s also important to count calories. If I didn’t start counting calories, I would have had no idea that the food I typically ate, even in small portions, was horrible and there were just as satisfying alternatives that are better.

For instance, for Breakfast, I would gear towards maybe a Sausage McMuffin with egg. One of those is not huge, even for those with restriction could probably go down ok with some good chewing. But that sucker has 450 calories, 30g carbs, and only 21g protein! A better choice with what I've found to be just as satisfying, a ham and cheese omelet on low carb tortilla - 235 calories, 12g carbs, and 25g protein! Even other things as simple as yogurt, Yoplait light vs. Yoplait thick and creamy or regular pudding vs sugar free pudding, both the same amount of food, but a difference of almost 100 calories. That’s the main reason I do keep track of what I eat, it just helps me to make better choices.

I'm not melting away, but I'm ok with that now because I know I'm doing the best I can making good food choices and better eating habits. The weight will come off in time. I've already lost over 20lbs in 2 months when it took me 30 months to lose 80lbs on my own, so I think I'm doing pretty darn good with my band!

When I decided to have surgery it was because I was tired of doing diets and watching what I eat. I have never been good at it so I thought this would be my best answer. I know the nutritionists tell me not to eat this and that, but I don't count my calories or watch my fat intake. I'm amazed to see how well everyone else is doing at this.

I haven't felt any restriction yet and eat exactly like I did prior to surgery. Am I crazy? Will I never lose weight if I don't start watching my intake? I really don't want to do it. I thought maybe when I got skinny I would have more of a desire to stay that way and watch it then.

Does everyone watch what they eat?

I have to watch what I eat and count calories - it is the only way I know exactly what I am putting in my body. I think I would grossly misjudge the calorie/carb/protein count on any food if I did not count.

Also, I found that keeping a record of my food intake makes me more aware of what is in that can of Soup or candy bar, so I am reading labels more - always looking for foods with the least amount of cals & carbs and with high Protein.

I use 'www.MyFitnessPal.com' to log my meals and exercise and once you get into a habit of doing it it gets easier and just takes a few minutes. Do I miss logging some meals or the odd day - yes I do. But by logging I know I have 3 nutritional meals and 2 Snacks a day for around 200 cals each. I know I would eat far more if I did not keep a record. Will I have to do this forever, I don't know.:wink:

Edited by Vivinthewoods

Hey there December Delights! I got my third fill on Monday and still have really good restriction. Almost too good. I PB'd yesterday on a bite of chili...it was my fault...didn't chew good enough. But I'm no longer starving as I have been through most of this journey. I am learning to take small bites and chew, chew, chew. Tonight we're having chicken and I'm a bit scared of this. I get stuck easily but am waiting it out to learn and for the swelling to go down. Just wanted to update you all as you are family in my eyes. Have a great day...hugs your way...

Banded (RB) on 12/4. A few experiences...

1 - I was surprised with how bad the cotton mouth was and how long it lasted. I must of sipped several gallons of water/ice that day.

2 - 2nd day, had pretty bad gas pains. I was grateful for each burp and otherwise. :smile2: It's gotten progressively better though. Walking helps alot.

3 - Don't get a lot of precise info on wound care, this annoyed me somewhat.

4 - The largest incision I have is almost two inches and the stomach is still somewhat numb around it. Not sure how normal this is, but it's not red/oozing/smelly. I'm scheduled to see my surgeon next Monday (was hoping they would see me this week).

5 - I plan to be at least 100lbs lighter by end of 2010. :)

Rich

12/4/2009

Update:

Initially, the weight loss was pretty quick, which seems to be pretty common. However, after 4-6 weeks, I found it slowed down a good bit. I've had 1 fill so far and will be going back for my 2nd this coming Monday.

When I went in for my first fill I did ask the surgeon how I was doing and he said average. I'd like to get back to that initial feeling of where I ate because I had to, not because I want to and can. Know what I mean?

So far I've lost 34 lbs, which is around 2.8LBs a week (although much of that average is because of the first 4-6 weeks. I've only lost 3 lbs during a 2 week period prior to this one). Should I mention anything to surgeon, like I need a bigger fill?

I have been following a decent regimen, working out 3-4 times a week @ 40 mins a pop.

We...at 8 weeks and 1 day...I had my first stuck incident and mega sliming.

Holy Heck! I will never again wonder what they are talking about.

It's my fault---I needed a quick meal so I grabbed a McD's bacon egg and cheese biscuit figuring I would eat the egg and meat only ( and only 1/2 of it)

I wasn't paying attention and ate some of the breading.

I thought I was gonig to die. I finally got it to move around by coughing....and I went through a handful of napkins of yuck.

I hope not to make that mistake again.

Hi all!

I lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks! Feeling pretty good, looks like the band is finally doing something for me! It was slow moving at first, so I was worried. The problem I'm having is that left shoulder pain- still! It doesn't seem to be from gas, I get it more often when I eat a little too much. Does anyone else have that? My doc only gave me .5 cc at this last fill since I lost 7 lbs fast, but I feel like that's going to slow me down! I'm just trying to be careful about what I eat, even though things are going down pretty easily.

weight.png

Hi all!

I lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks! Feeling pretty good, looks like the band is finally doing something for me! It was slow moving at first, so I was worried. The problem I'm having is that left shoulder pain- still! It doesn't seem to be from gas, I get it more often when I eat a little too much. Does anyone else have that? My doc only gave me .5 cc at this last fill since I lost 7 lbs fast, but I feel like that's going to slow me down! I'm just trying to be careful about what I eat, even though things are going down pretty easily.

weight.png

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/help-110691/

This thread may or may not be applicable.:smile2:

Need a pick me up ASAP! I was banded on 12-23, and by my first fill on 02-01 I was doing real good (in the doctors eyes) by losing 12.5lbs (9%), they were happy because they said that was about what bypass patients lose in that amount of time. I was a little disappointed because i thought i lost more (from my scale at home). Only 3cc were put in, and absolutely no restriction, my sec fill is on 03-01. I know I have not lost any since and scared I may have even gained a lb or two back! I feel like canceling the appt to a later date to avoid humiliation however I would have to wait til beginning of April, and I know I need more fill to help with being less hungry! I have had some stressful situations in the past few weeks at home, though I know its no excuse. I have also been working out at least 3-5 times a week (usually 5) for an hour each time. I also think that some of my frustration has come because I have seen other get banded right around the time I was and have lost 20+ by my first fill (02-01). Please help, I'm starting to get really down on myself and I dont want to give up, any helpful tips out there?

Had my second fill today. Think I'm too tight. Can't keep anything down including my own saliva. Called the doc and the answering service is going to have him call me back. This really sucks right now.

Hi all!

weight.png

Thin me, I have this pain too. It's more in my left shoulder and my neck when I'm "stuck" or too full. The thread recommended by another poster said that the band may be on the phernic (sp) nerve and if it's a real problem the band may have to be removed. It would take a lot of pain for me to give up my band!!!

Need a pick me up ASAP! I was banded on 12-23, and by my first fill on 02-01 I was doing real good (in the doctors eyes) by losing 12.5lbs (9%), they were happy because they said that was about what bypass patients lose in that amount of time. I was a little disappointed because i thought i lost more (from my scale at home). Only 3cc were put in, and absolutely no restriction, my sec fill is on 03-01. I know I have not lost any since and scared I may have even gained a lb or two back! I feel like canceling the appt to a later date to avoid humiliation however I would have to wait til beginning of April, and I know I need more fill to help with being less hungry! I have had some stressful situations in the past few weeks at home, though I know its no excuse. I have also been working out at least 3-5 times a week (usually 5) for an hour each time. I also think that some of my frustration has come because I have seen other get banded right around the time I was and have lost 20+ by my first fill (02-01). Please help, I'm starting to get really down on myself and I dont want to give up, any helpful tips out there?

What I did was just tried to maintain during this period. It was hard and I was hungry but I did do it. The doctor expects this to be a hard time for you and has probably seen lots of patients gain weight during this period. You don't have restriction and if you can just maintain, don't feel badly. Hang in there...Best wishes!!!

Just got back from fill #2--PRAYING for at least a little restriction. Not too hopeful though cause I am STARVING right now (have to be on liquids rest of the day). I am now at 4.2cc's in a 10cc band. Not scheduled for another fill for 2 months, but was told I can make it sooner if I need to! I am really trying to be in ONEDERLAND for my vacation in May. 24lbs to go! :cursing:

Hey y'all! Hope everyone is doing well!

Does anybody else actually "feel" lighter? Like when I workout and get up off the floor after stretching, I actually just get up instead of the one knee up, ok, brace self, grunt, push, grunt some more, etc, lol. And when I do my lap around the office (it's a pretty big office) I go so fast (compared to before) I feel like going "zoooommm!".

Anybody else feeling that way? Feels good!

Off to workout...zoooommm! :-)