Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

I would love a way to tell if I have restriction. Can I be included? :biggrin:

PM me with your email address and I'll attach it as a Power Point.

Tracy, you're BEAUTIFUL!... and your boys are precious! I hope you had a great date. You're doing awesome.

Tracy, you're BEAUTIFUL!... and your boys are precious! I hope you had a great date. You're doing awesome.

Thank you so much!! I think the first time in my life I am actually feeling beautiful too. :thumbup:

I checked out your pictures and WOW. There is such a difference. It is truly amazing!

I was supposed to get my 4th fill today, but according to the doctor's scales, I've lost 6 pounds in two weeks, although my scales don't show that much. But I'm actually feeling pretty good restriction right now. I wouldn't say I'm at my sweet spot, but for now, I'm definitely within the green zone.

Sooo jealous!!!

Back from my doctor's appt.

I lost 5lbs this month and a total of 20 per their scales.

That's 15% of my excess weight.

We talked about Restriction alot---and she agreed that I need a fill. I was given .75cc so I am now at 5.75cc in a 10 cc band.

She told me to think of it like this--- the stomach is a muscle and it too is shrinking...so that's why I need adjustments so the band keeps fitting correctly. That made total sense!!

I go back in 4 weeks---she said they will do smaller adjustments because the goal is to get to the sweet spot without overfilling.

I'm going to use the next two days of a liquid diet to try to wean myself off the sweets again.

6 lbs in two weeks???

Woohoo Mel!!

Well I got my fourth fill yesterday taking my up to 6.5ccs in a 10 band. I showed my doctor the graph from the Power Point and exactly where I was on the graph. This helped her determine if I needed a fill or not. I lost 3 more pounds in 2 weeks. Not quite as much as New Joy but it's something. I get my glasses back today. Have been wearing the old ones and can't see a darn thing. Can't wait to get them back. Have a great day everyone and if you want the graph from the PP you need to PM me with your email address. Hugs and love to all....

6 lbs in two weeks???

Woohoo Mel!!

Thanks! My scales this morning were closer to what the doc's said than yesterday. 240.6. I must be doing something right.

Hi All,

I really needed this site tonight. I have been sorta depressed lately and eating everything that will go down...and that is everything that I put in my mouth. I feel so bad, I have not exercised in about 2 weeks-working a lot of overtime due to back log and everything. Well enough of that pity party...I am scheduled for a fill on Thursday. Only my second and I only have 1 cc since my surgery on Dec 17th. I will definitely ask for an aggressive fill too. Also, I will get back into the exercise routine so that I can get going in the right direction. I really want to lose 50lbs by May and I know that I can do it. Thank you all for being here. I love this family!

Great - you can do it!! I can't believe we were banded on the same day and you are only at 1cc. I would definitely be seeking a more aggresive fill.

I officially had to take off my wedding ring and my mother's ring today. They are just getting too loose. When my fingers are cold, they both fall right off. I was so scared of losing them, so I will put them in a safe spot for now. I want to wait to have them resized until I have lost more and I am closer to my goal. I would hate to have to have them resized again.

Hi All,

I really needed this site tonight. I have been sorta depressed lately and eating everything that will go down...and that is everything that I put in my mouth. I feel so bad, I have not exercised in about 2 weeks-working a lot of overtime due to back log and everything. Well enough of that pity party...I am scheduled for a fill on Thursday. Only my second and I only have 1 cc since my surgery on Dec 17th. I will definitely ask for an aggressive fill too. Also, I will get back into the exercise routine so that I can get going in the right direction. I really want to lose 50lbs by May and I know that I can do it. Thank you all for being here. I love this family!

You certainly deserve a better fill than just 1cc since mid-December! I phoned for a fill appointment today, as I am so hungry and gained 2 lbs over the past week:ohmy: so I sympathize with you. My surgeon will be at the office near to my home tomorrow, but I have a dental appointment, so will have to wait 2 more weeks until I get a fill. I think you have done well to go all this time on 1cc - I have had 2 fills for a total of 5cc's.

Tracy mentioned her rings are falling off - well I have to go to the dentist because my crown fell off! Could my mouth be getting smaller!!!:)

Hey ladies!!

10 weeks out form surgery today...and I weighed 228.8 on the scales. I am about to jump up and down and fgo screaming down the hallways. For the first time I am really saying "I am shrinking".

I am so close to being at my lowest weight....I *think* I weighed 219 when we got married.....and that was after losing weight on Atkins.< /p>

I ordered a dept t shirt at work today...I decided to get a Large ( NOT X-Large) and make it a goal shirt.

What is everyone eating today??????????

I got my fourth fill on Monday and haven't gotten stuck yet! I'm so proud of myself. We even had fish last night and I ate 2 oz. very carefully and successfully!!! Yeah. Restriction rocks! I love, love, love my band. I'm down, yet, another pound and now that I have restriction the weight is coming off.

Great, You really need to speak with your doctor about this. There is no excuse for you to not be restricted by now. I would tell him to get with the program and ask for an aggressive fill. I'll say a little prayer for you! Take care and get on that doctor's case, big time!!!

Here is a list of behavior modifications that I got at support group last Monday. It is from a book called The Emotional First Aid Kit: The Practical Guide to Life after Bariatric Surgery.

1. Eat only as advised by your bariatric doctor. Usually this will be three meals per day. Try not to allow yourself to snack between recommended meals while making this transition. If you must, make it a bariatric-friendly snack.

2. Eat very slowly and place you eating utensil on the plate between bites. As a bariatric patient you will be advised to chew your food at least 25 times, so this in itself will slow you down.

3. Do no engage in other activity except eating at mealtime. Concentrate only on eating. Avoid reading, watching television, or too much conversation. This time is about eating only.

4. It is most important to eat in a specific place. Choose a room where you will do all of your eating, and promise yourself not to eat anywhere else. If possible, eat in the same chair. Do not eat while driving or doing other activities as you will quickly lose track of the amount you have consumed. It is important not to establish a connection between driving and eating.

5. Stay out of the kitchen except when absolutely necessary. Keep the kitchen light off so the room is not so inviting, and try to take alternate routes that don’t lead you past it if possible. Make sure food is stored only in your kitchen.

6. Use small plates, bowls, and utensils.

7. Do not keep leftovers on the table to invite additional nibbling after you finish. Instead, get up from the table immediately and do something else. It may be helpful to store leftovers in the refrigerator before your meal so you will not be tempted to eat more later.

8. Keep food out of sight as much as possible. Dot not keep it on the counter or in see-through containers. Keep your healthier choices in see-through containers so you learn to choose those before the others.

9. Do not leave bowls of small snacking food son the counter or table. We will eat “one or two” every time we pass.

10. Use these principles at work too. Take all Snacks out of your drawers and off of your desk including candy dishes for “clients or coworkers”.

11. Bring healthy snacks and meals with you to work so you will not be at the mercy of the cafeteria, fast food, or vending machines.

12. Do not eat lunch at your desk. Go to the lunchroom or a picnic table outside, but break the psychological connection between your desk and eating.

13. At break time, avoid the break room where others may be eating or where vending machines are located. Instead, take a stroll outside or inside your building. Make phone calls, do some stretching, or balance your check book.

14. Learn to change your routine. If you go to the refrigerator first thing after work, learn to go directly to another room so you will eventually break that connection.

15. Learn to read labels on grocery store items. Shop only when you are not hungry and bring a prepared list. Avoid certain aisles that might be tempting for you, like the crackers and Cookies aisles, for example. There will be little or no food appropriate for a new bariatric patient in that aisle.

16. Play soothing music while eating. It tends to slow us down.

17. Try not to nibble while preparing foods. This is a common trap. We may not eat much at dinner but we do not count all those bites taken during preparation. Plan ahead so you are not hungry while preparing meals, and try strategies such as brushing your teeth or keeping sugar-free hard candy around if you need something.

18. If munching while you cook is a problem for you, try to prepare several meals at once to decrease the amount of time you will be vulnerable.

19. Keep healthy snacking alternatives available, such as sugar-free hard candies, sugar-free popsicles, or sugar-free flavored Gelatin.< /span>

20. Always keep a bottle of Water with you. It will keep you feeling fuller between meals and is very healthy.

21. Always have an escape route. Do not put yourself in a situation where you feel unable to control your eating. If you find yourself overwhelmed at any time, have a plan for how you will allow yourself to leave.

22. Monitor your progress. Assess your BMI on a weekly or monthly basis. Weigh yourself weekly. Keep track of your workouts. Many people have difficulty when they stop monitoring themselves. We tend to feel more responsible for eating and exercise when we have to be held accountable.

23. Be aware of visual cues for eating. Let’s say someone puts donuts on a desk nearby you at work or there is a community candy bowl you pass by several time a day. A little snack here and there may feel like nothing, but it all adds up. Break the connection between eating and the cue. Move the donuts to another part of the office. Get rid of the candy dish. If you find your cue is being with a particular friend, then attempt to alter the connection by going to a movie instead of dinner.

24. When you have a craving, try waiting 10 min. before you eat anything. When you do not immediately respond to cravings, they tend to decrease in intensity. If you do this over time, the craved food will lose its strength and power over you.