Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

Hi all -

Just checking in. So, I'm 3 days post-op now. Still having some pain with gas pressure and a bit around the incisions. The gas pain is weird and my stomach is VERY gurgly. It's like it's own personality right now. Talking all the time! The worst pain is around the middle of my chest and some in the shoulders.

Overall, there was much less pain so far than I thought I would have, but still enough to keep me on pain meds.

Total I start full liquids and am going to try some watery oatmeal this morning. See how it goes. Then a Protein Shake at lunch I think.

Anyway, glad to hear so many folks are banded and doing well!!

Congrats to all who were banded yesterday. We've heard from a few of you but want more of the details as soon as you're feeling up to it. Let those of us that are "yet to be banded" how it went. Hugs to all....

Hello everyone! I was banded on the 3rd here in Monterrey Mexico. It has been a mostly pleasant experience. the surgery went well. I had a tough time coming out of anasthesia...but I usually do. Out of the three of us here, I ended up with a tight band. I guess my stomach was bigger at the band site or something. Apparently I won't need an actual fill for 10-12 weeks. I have had a lot of referred pain, and it usually is triggered by having something. I have had to be extrememly careful with how much I consume. I get full really quickly...which I think is strange because I am only having thin fluids. Everyone else id doing fine with fluids though. haha.

I go home today, so I'll check back in in a week or so. Happy banding to all of you!!

~Mya

hey girl congrads, is oatmeal considered a liquid, if dr. told u to it is ok, my surgery is tomorow the 7tth, i was told liquids only for 2 weeks then i go to mushies,,,, for 2 weeks . how are you doing i am nervous now but happy...where did u get it done larry

Guest austrolatrishy

Just got off the phone with the on-call nurse. She said that my runny nose and feeling like I am coming down with a cold are normal for some patients. She said to be worried about the people who have had the surgery and then lay in bed for days and days... I've been up walking since the beginning, so she said that I am doing what I am supposed to. No fever either. She said that it hurts to cough because I haven't been taking my pain meds. I've been trying to go without them, and that's why it's been hard to breathe deeply.

I was also having mild charlie horses on both legs when first walking around. She said that is also a sign of being dehydrated. She was not concerned about what I shared with her. Thank goodness!!! I am going to take some pain meds and will check in later. Thanks!

All good information to know! Those of us being banded later this month are listening and learning!!! Thanks!:thumbup:

Well I am doing ok... I would be a lot better if I had not have gone to a movie with with my family... I also walked around Walmart longer then I should have. DId not use any pain meds until I did all of this... So instead of popcorn I had a bowl of cream of brocoli Soup from subway. I can only eat a bit at a time so had about 1/2 of the small bowl.. 3.5 hrs later i had 1/2 of a small iced capachino... Came home and my hubby made me a chocolate shake with a banana... It is yummmy... So secret to this post is do not over due on the 4 day out of surgery... I learned my lesson.. Just wanted to spend some time with my family...

I was banded Friday, 12/4 and I'm doing good. It took me a bit to find a comfortable position to sleep the first night, but found one thankfully. Two pillows under my head and one under my knees. And thank goodness for Vicodin! I had a little left shoulder pain on Saturday, but mostly just soreness on my tummy. Today has been a bit of a challenge, as I've had the gas pains in my chest. Feels like I have to burp. My hubby went out and got me gas pills, which help a little. I've been overdoing it a little too (cleaning, decorating), cuz I feel pretty good. It catches up to you for sure. I've been taking long naps, and watching lots of TV. As for eating, it's Soups and Protein Drinks. I bought the Isopure fruit punch, but I don't like it at all. Sticking to EAS with 17gms of Protein, yum! The surgery was a breeze, and the incisions are so small! I too had a hiatal hernia repair, which I didn't know I had. I'm staying home tomorrow, but my plan is to go back to work Tuesday....we'll see. Now my journey really begins! :thumbup:

Forgot one thing.......A few coworkers who have been banded told me that I wouldn't be hungry or even care about eating right after the surgery. WRONG! Seriously, as soon as I got home I felt like eating Mcdonalds. Didn't of course, but I still get hungry. Hopefully when I get to solids, I won't feel this way. I'm not digging the liquid diet at all.

Hello all my fellow bandsters! I was banded on Dec. 2 by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. Everything went very well and the only real problem was the bloated feeling for a couple of days. We have taken the first step on our journey and now have the tool to accomplish our goals. I have lost 16 pounds in the last 3 weeks and I already notice a difference in how my clothes fit. I highly recommend the sugar free Jello with non flavored Protein Powder mixed in the cold Water portion for a great snack. I also like the sugar free hot chocolate. I am tempted to try a little "real food" because that is what my body after 59 years tells me I need but I just fight the urge and project my mind forward to the days when my friends are all telling me how great I look. One day at a time and once we are through this phase and eating smaller portions of that real food it will all be worth it. Being a Mexican bandit I really appreciate all the support we give each other as this is all I have with my Dr. being 1500 miles away. I am planning on getting my fill in Tijuana around Jan. 15. Anyone want to meet up? Good luck to all those whose surgery is coming up. It is definitely worth it!:thumbup:

Hello all, I leave for my surgery in an hour. I am waiting on my ride to the hostpital. Last night was a very rough night for sleep because it could not find me. I am so many emotions, excited, anxious, and nervous. Surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am. Pray for me and updates when I return.:thumbup:

I'm feeling the same as most of you. Sounds like all of these issues are normal. I had some Yogurt this morning and it went down fine. Also had some mashed potatos last night with no trouble. Very small bites and very small portions. I don't feel full but I don't want to over do it either. I wonder what it feels like to be full and if you will know before it's too late? I don't want to have trouble with PB'ing!

Just got off the phone with the on-call nurse. She said that my runny nose and feeling like I am coming down with a cold are normal for some patients. She said to be worried about the people who have had the surgery and then lay in bed for days and days... I've been up walking since the beginning, so she said that I am doing what I am supposed to. No fever either. She said that it hurts to cough because I haven't been taking my pain meds. I've been trying to go without them, and that's why it's been hard to breathe deeply.

I was also having mild charlie horses on both legs when first walking around. She said that is also a sign of being dehydrated. She was not concerned about what I shared with her. Thank goodness!!! I am going to take some pain meds and will check in later. Thanks!

HI I fell the same but I dont have any gas pain . I have copd so I know to take deep breathe Did they tell you to drink hot tea ? MY sister had lots she sent me home with. It helps the sore thoat and keeps you hydrated.She also got me Halls Breezers the one for throat irritations they help with throat pain from the tube.I am the only one after that didnt have gas pain and nausa . Get well soon ! I am going shoping today.Also I was runing around sat too. only fell sore. :thumbup:

it is so nice to hear all these stories---gives me a better idea of what to expect when i go in. thanks for keeping us all updated!

Stop me if I've shared this one with you, but on Saturday morning (surgery was Friday at noon), I got out of bed determined not to lay there all day. I didn't feel all that great, but I didn't feel all that bad either (not yet anyway). I thought it would be a good day to take out Christmas decorations and start sprucing-up the place for the holidays (very ambitious). So... my husband and eight-year-old son took-off to a get a tree while I stayed home to rest and go throught the bins looking for tree lights, etc. It occurred to me that I needed to get some walking-in, so I went out to the garage where my rarely used treadmill is, and turned it on. My husband came back in for something (gloves?)... and asked me what I was planning on doing. I said, "Honey, it's okay, remember the doctor said that walking would help with the gas pain?" He thought it was a bad idea. I kept talking, convincing him that it was good thing and eventually he just shook his head and told me to walk reeeeally slow and to get off of it if I didn't feel good cause he wouldn't be home to help me. I agreed. About one minute after I had gotten on the thing (and he had driven away), I had to jump off of it and run to the kitchen sink. I got sick. And getting sick with nothing in your stomach isn't a fun experience. I ended-up having to lay down for much of the afternoon and our eight-year-old had a field day with the Christmas decorations. I'm still cleaning-up the mess. So... I haven't been on the treadmill since (it's not time yet). And of course, when he got home I had to tell him that "he was right.... yadda yadda." If there's a moral to this story, I guess it's this: Sometimes being overly enthusiastic isn't a good thing. And sometimes I don't know everything.