Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for those who started with BMI 35 or less

Hi all: My BMI is at 35 and I have high blood pressure. My doc thought I was a good candidate for this surgery. Did all the tests, saw all the drs required by my ins...even got a date in Aug for surgery then BCBS said my BMI is not high enough and they do not consider Hi Blood Pressure a comorbidity??? My Dr. called in support of doing the surgery but BCBS denied it. After seven months of preparing for this I am disheartened. I did send an appeal letter to them but don't have too much faith in it.cat lady

My bmi was not high enough for my insurance to pay either. I wound up paying cash to get my band. Worth every penny!

You can get a loan to get a Lap-Band. Consider a mexican band, lots less money and very good care. I borrowed the money and feel like my life is completely different. Well worth it!!! Hugs!!!

My BMI was less than 35 (34.5) and I didn't have any medical problems so I paid out of pocket. It was expensive but well worth every penny If you were over 35 and had the high blood pressure most BC/BS plans would pay for it. My original price includes follow up and fills for 2 years so it was the right thing for me to do. Good luck and continue with the appeal.

I had family history of diabetes that my doctors office used to convince my insurance company to cover with my low bmi.

Thanks girls for your honest support. I don't know what the cost would be from my dr. and if it includes after care and fills which is also important. Also what if there are any complications??? Does the insurance then pick up the fee? These are the reasons I am hesitant about getting it done without the insurance coverage. My doc did call them to try to convince them I would be a good candidate but they refused to approve it. Don't want to come back and try again after I've gained alot of weight and have a BMI of 40 which they then would consider. Seems counter productive to my goal of better health and losing weight. cat:mad:

I had a bmi of 29.1. I had diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension. I decided to get the lap band, my insurance would not pay, so i am paying for my surgery. This is post op day 2. The scale shows that i have gained weight despite the liquid diet of 1 week. I guess it is mostly post op bloating. Plus i had some very salty broths when i was on clear liquid. I will keep you posted.

I don't know what the cost would be from my dr. and if it includes after care and fills which is also important. Also what if there are any complications??? Does the insurance then pick up the fee? These are the reasons I am hesitant about getting it done without the insurance coverage.

Hi, Cat! You can call your insurance company and find out what they will cover if you do the surgery private pay. I had my surgery in Mexico (Dr. Rumbaut) and had a great experience. As it turned out, my insurance (BCBS) actually paid for my post-op care, and I only have to pay a co-pay when I go in for fills. It's realy worked out well, and the $9K I spent for my surgery (including flights for myself and my mother, hotel and expenses while in MX) is some of the very best money I've ever spent. It was worth every penny.

Best wishes,

Catherine

When I first went into the dr's office they told me my bmi was too low I needed at least a bmi of 42 to even submit to my insurance and my advocate told me to go to academy to "gain" some "weights" and come back to get weighed again. I was approved within 3 weeks!

This is our lives we are fighting for, do whatever it takes.

Getting banded on Oct 1st with a BMI of 35 (5'3 and 200 lbs) and besides my weight I'm completely healthy.. however like most of you say I wish I had done it sooner than later .. so at single and 27.. I'm doing it sooner!!

I just got banded on 9/17/10. My BMI was 35.1 at time of surgery but was 36.6 at the time I got my insurance approval. I was lucky to get the approval. My insurance tried to deny me even with 2 co-morbidities. They finally agreed that a third condition I had would count as #3 and here I am - in bandland.

I'm only 4 days post op so I have a way to go compared with all of you! I did lose weight on the 10 day liquid pre op diet so I sort of jumped started the process - down 9 lbs! I have not updated my weight since surgery although I have probably lost more weight. I'm not eating that much since surgery. food seems to go down ever so SLOWLY.

I truly hope I have the success of this group!

I just got banded on 9/17/10. My BMI was 35.1 at time of surgery but was 36.6 at the time I got my insurance approval. I was lucky to get the approval. My insurance tried to deny me even with 2 co-morbidities. They finally agreed that a third condition I had would count as #3 and here I am - in bandland.

I'm only 4 days post op so I have a way to go compared with all of you! I did lose weight on the 10 day liquid pre op diet so I sort of jumped started the process - down 9 lbs! I have not updated my weight since surgery although I have probably lost more weight. I'm not eating that much since surgery. food seems to go down ever so SLOWLY.

I truly hope I have the success of this group!

Good luck, I was in your boat back in late 08. I'm approaching my 2 year anniversary and have been staying between 25 and 27 BMI for more than a year now.

BillOh:

Thanks for your reply. You are an inspiration to me! It is wonderful that you have stayed so consistently slim in over 2 years! That is my hope and my dream!

I had a 31 BMI and am dropping weight quickly. In one month I have lost almost 20 pounds. I got a fill yesterday and now have 6ccs and hope it will come off fast since I am not hungry after this fill. I was self pay and out of pocket $14,000 but being able to shop and buy pretty clothes and go lay on the beach again was worth every penny.