Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for those who started with BMI 35 or less

I have an 11cc band with 8.7 in it. I went for a fill a few weeks ago and the doctor put in 1cc so I was at 9cc but after an hour I still couldnt drink Water so the doctor took out .3cc which made a huge difference.

I am still not at my sweet spot so I am going for another fill this Saturday. It will only be a small one maybe .3cc-5cc so I hope it will be ok.

I can still also eat bread. I dont tend to eat rice as I am sick of it but I did try it in Thailand a few weeks ago and it didnt go well ( I ate it too fast i think).

I am almost half way to my goal weight! I can't wait!

Mrs Bahuna - Good answer 'for health reasons'. I will use that next time someone tells me I did not need to get banded. Hopefully, that will shut them up.

Nawlinz - I'll try it toasted next time. Would be nice not to be scared of eating bread!

Amazed I have lost nearly 2 kilos in a week - and I thought I had not felt any restriction.

Can you guys tell me what you do about alcohol - when you go out - do you drink wine? How does it affect you being banded?

Mrs Bahuna - Good answer 'for health reasons'. I will use that next time someone tells me I did not need to get banded. Hopefully, that will shut them up.

Nawlinz - I'll try it toasted next time. Would be nice not to be scared of eating bread!

Amazed I have lost nearly 2 kilos in a week - and I thought I had not felt any restriction.

Can you guys tell me what you do about alcohol - when you go out - do you drink wine? How does it affect you being banded?

My doctor says an occasional glass of wine is allowed, I do log it in my food journal calorie count.

just had it done on the 19 and no weight loss yet. today im feeling better.

I find alcohol affects me more of less depending on what i eat during the day. I drink wine and hard liquors but all only in small amount. If I drink too fast I feel sick and not drunk and it is not a fun time. Usually 2 glasses of wine leave me as a write off. There are different drinks that sometimes I can and can not handle. Vodka I can't seem to manage but whiskey, gin and rum are ok. I rarely drink these those. Just remember to drink slowly because it takes a while for the drink to go through your band. The last thing you want to do is drink too much and then have to throw up and can't because of the band ( trust me NOT pleasant)

I used to be able to out drink everyone now I won't even try and always stop after 2 drinks. If I eat too much during the day and then go drinking I don't get as drunk as fast. Remember to drink even more Water as it makes you more dehydrated. Now I drink my whiskey with Water instead of coke and add some ice. It sounds gross but it isn't that bad.

I was banded 11/25/09 and have had 2 glasses of wine since. One on Chrstmas eve and one just a few weeks ago. I am not one to get "drunk" at all, those crazy college days have been over for a long time now. A glass of wine effects me the same way as it did before....just drink slowly and enjoy.

Thanks for the advice on drinking booze - I'd quite like a glass of wine now and again and like the idea of drawing the line after a glass or two. Cheap date!

Thanks for the advice on drinking booze - I'd quite like a glass of wine now and again and like the idea of drawing the line after a glass or two. Cheap date!

Last time I had a glass of wine at a bar, it was $8.50. Not very cheap even if you only have one!!! LOL!!!

I started at BMI of 34 and 195 lbs, I was banded 10/20/09. I have lost 29 lbs and have a BMI of 27.6.

I wasn't going to tell anyone that I was banded but my sister told everyone. The most common reaction was "your not big enough for that" however I feel obesity is as dangerous as cancer and I never heard anyone say "your tumor wasn't big enough a problem to take care of". I think everyone is different and should make the decision based on what they think. Not what others think you should do.

I was disappointed with the surgery before my first fill, I thought it didnt work and was just going to be another failed diet. However, after my first and second fills I have been losing between 1 and 3 lbs a week depending on how much exercise I get. I weigh 166 lbs now which is less than I have weighed in the last 5 years. I am happy about the surgery but it is a huge lifestyle change. I have to prepare for what I am going to eat every day. I cant just leave the house and think I'll get something later. Not being prepared creates the worst situations for me. First I don't eat because there is nothing I can have, then I get super hungry, then I get somewhere there is something I can eat and I eat too fast and too much, then I am sick. Don't fall into this trap. Prepare, Prepare, Prepare.

I also didn't realise how important it was to cut my food into small pieces, and by small I mean like the size of your smallest fingernail, small. Plus I have to eat maybe 3 or 4 bites then rest for a couple of minutes before I can continue.

I hope these things help you. Good luck.

just had it done on the 19 and no weight loss yet. today im feeling better.

Congrats on getting banded, I would absolutely do it all over again. How are you feeling?

I started at BMI of 34 and 195 lbs, I was banded 10/20/09. I have lost 29 lbs and have a BMI of 27.6.

I wasn't going to tell anyone that I was banded but my sister told everyone. The most common reaction was "your not big enough for that" however I feel obesity is as dangerous as cancer and I never heard anyone say "your tumor wasn't big enough a problem to take care of". I think everyone is different and should make the decision based on what they think. Not what others think you should do.

I was disappointed with the surgery before my first fill, I thought it didnt work and was just going to be another failed diet. However, after my first and second fills I have been losing between 1 and 3 lbs a week depending on how much exercise I get. I weigh 166 lbs now which is less than I have weighed in the last 5 years. I am happy about the surgery but it is a huge lifestyle change. I have to prepare for what I am going to eat every day. I cant just leave the house and think I'll get something later. Not being prepared creates the worst situations for me. First I don't eat because there is nothing I can have, then I get super hungry, then I get somewhere there is something I can eat and I eat too fast and too much, then I am sick. Don't fall into this trap. Prepare, Prepare, Prepare.

I also didn't realise how important it was to cut my food into small pieces, and by small I mean like the size of your smallest fingernail, small. Plus I have to eat maybe 3 or 4 bites then rest for a couple of minutes before I can continue.

I hope these things help you. Good luck.

I do not have a desk job and used to eat unhealthy fast food. I pack my lunch everyday now. I put it in 1/2 cup containers. I eat one and wait 20 mins, if I am still hungry I will eat some of the other. Most of the time, I don't need the 2nd one. I am so much healthier now :cursing:

Thanks for the advice about being prepared. I'm back to work soon and I have a desk job and before being banded I ate in the staff canteen everyday. Now, I think I will start to bring my own food in - to keep me away from making all the wrong choices.

I've decided not to tell my workmates I've been banded, however, they know I've had a small operation and that's why I've been away from work.

Any suggestions of what 'white lie' I could tell - could I say I've had a hernia or something?

Thanks for the advice about being prepared. I'm back to work soon and I have a desk job and before being banded I ate in the staff canteen everyday. Now, I think I will start to bring my own food in - to keep me away from making all the wrong choices.

I've decided not to tell my workmates I've been banded, however, they know I've had a small operation and that's why I've been away from work.

Any suggestions of what 'white lie' I could tell - could I say I've had a hernia or something?

When I had the lap band surgery the doctor said I also had a Hiatal Hernia , you can google this and read about it. This would explain why you have to be on the liquid diet. This would be a good cover story for people that you dont want to tell.

Here is my oppinion.......why do we feel like we need to say a thing? Dont say anything, if you dont want to tell, dont. You dont need a white lie. it's no ones buisness but your own. BY LAW (here in California anyway) No employer can ask ANY personal health question... I think society in general "shares" too much personal information, like for some reason we have to. I have not told anyone but my family, I have chosen what is right for me....Why lie? Just be honest with yourself and if asked a personal question by some insensitive boob at the office....say "it's personal" and stop talking.

SoExcited - in theory, you are right, but I know if I just say 'it's personal' and walk off I'll just be the centre of all the office gossip and goodness knows what weird ideas people will come up with. They will probably convince themselves I'm dying of some dreadful disease!

In practice, I'll use the 'hernia' explanation (thanks Leigha) and everyone will be satisfied and sympathetic when they see what I'm eating and will be helpful if I'm in any discomfort.

It's the beginning of the year, everyone is on a diet right now, new years resolutions and all. I doubt anyone would give it a 2nd thought if you just said you made a resolution to lose weight ;) Weightloss is not rapid with the band like bypass, at least not for a couple months till we get our fills, everyone will see you eating healthy and exercising, they will assume that is why you are losing.

Another couple of tips that is working for me. I do not eat lunch in the break area. Sometimes I sit in my car with my ipod, if its nice I find someplace outdoors. I bring althletic shoes to work. I walk after eating lunch to make use of the rest of my lunch. My building has a really long hallway, I started walking in circles on my break back and forth, now about 10 of us are doing it. My afternoon break I started going up and down stairs for break.