Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for those who started with BMI 35 or less

OK today I had.....

Breakfast: shake 220 cal 50g Protein

Lunch: Piece of bread with teaspoon of Peanut Butter

DO NOT DO THAT! I got so stuck on one bite that I threw away the rest I thought I was going to die! It took about a 1/2 hour to recover from one bite.

Dinner: Piece of steamed orange roughy & scallops, broccoli & some mushroom orzo

And may I ask this.....whats up with my yuckie stuck thing and YET I still ate a big ol dinner and left the table hungry. I dont think I have enough in my band .... I have 3.5cc's in my 10cc band.

I dunno, maybe too big of a bite? or not chewing? I can eat bread and peanut butter, but then I can eat everything right now....I hope I will be able to come on here next wednesday and start complaining about not being able to eat something, at least then I will know I really do have a band inside! :)

Love to join you guys.

BMI of 31, banded on 14 Jan.

A little disappointed that I still feel so hungry and have to wait 6 weeks for my first fill. I know I am being very careful, only eating liquids and mushys, but feel it is will power and not the band at the moment.

Not sure if the will power will last 6 weeks. Not tried the Protein Drinks yet - so that might help.

Just feel so good to be in control, or trying to be, with my weight.

Would love to take a bath instead of a shower too - but have to wait till the stitches are out.

Did you all have to have Heparin injections for 2 weeks after banding?

Thanks Nawlinz for pointing me in the direction of this thread.

@longbaygirl

I didn't have to take heparin shots, why do you have to? I too enjoy the feeling of being in control. For me it has taken a lot of thought into what I am eating and drinking. So get ready for that stage, it will be here quicker than you think.

Love to join you guys.

BMI of 31, banded on 14 Jan.

A little disappointed that I still feel so hungry and have to wait 6 weeks for my first fill. I know I am being very careful, only eating liquids and mushys, but feel it is will power and not the band at the moment.

Not sure if the will power will last 6 weeks. Not tried the Protein drinks yet - so that might help.

Just feel so good to be in control, or trying to be, with my weight.

Would love to take a bath instead of a shower too - but have to wait till the stitches are out.

Did you all have to have Heparin injections for 2 weeks after banding?

Thanks Nawlinz for pointing me in the direction of this thread.

If you have one of the larger 10 or bigger cc bands you are not likely to have restriction for quite a while. Maybe even a year. Solid foods are much easier to control so it will be better after you get to solids. I used all protein before and after the band. Even on liquids I did protein. It makes a huge difference in how satisfied you are. Staying away from carbs is part of this. I still don't use them at all. I just feel so much better if I stay away from them including much more energy. I did not get injections after the surgery, and I had disolveable stitches so I didn't have to get them out. Hang in there the future will be life changing!!

Mzlb - re: Heparin - well, in France (where I got banded) my doctor said that was the protocol, but in the UK, where I live, it's not, so I only had it for a few days. Just wanted to check I'm not missing something I should have.

Jo - think I have a 5cc band, but not sure - will check the paper-work.

Don't think I can last on mushy food for a month. When is it safe to try something solid?

Fed-up with people telling me, I did not need to get banded and looking at me as if I'm some kind of psychiatric case. Why do people think banding automatically implies something negative rather than positive?

I'm done with 20 years of yo- yo dieting, done with feeling embarrassed about my body, done with the fat girl clothes. I plan on being fit, slim, healthy and sexy - in about 6 month time!

I've decided, I'm keeping it quiet, and only telling those closest to me. Just don't see why I should justify myself to the world and his wife.

Mzlb - re: Heparin - well, in France (where I got banded) my doctor said that was the protocol, but in the UK, where I live, it's not, so I only had it for a few days. Just wanted to check I'm not missing something I should have..

I was only given Heparin the day of my surgery, None afterwards.

think I have a 5cc band, but not sure - will check the paper-work.

Don't think I can last on mushy food for a month. When is it safe to try something solid?..

Every doctor has a different post op scheduled, Mine allowed me to start adding soft solids after 2 wks. I try to stay under 1200 calories a day, I keep a food log tracking calories and Protein.< /p>

Fed-up with people telling me, I did not need to get banded and looking at me as if I'm some kind of psychiatric case. Why do people think banding automatically implies something negative rather than positive?

I'm done with 20 years of yo- yo dieting, done with feeling embarrassed about my body, done with the fat girl clothes. I plan on being fit, slim, healthy and sexy - in about 6 month time!

I've decided, I'm keeping it quiet, and only telling those closest to me. Just don't see why I should justify myself to the world and his wife.

I have only confided in my sister and my husband but I have a whole group of blog buddies who are banded who exchange ideas, recipes, band experiences or questions etc., feel free to read some if you like :)

Edited by nawlinzlady

Mzlb - re: Heparin - well, in France (where I got banded) my doctor said that was the protocol, but in the UK, where I live, it's not, so I only had it for a few days. Just wanted to check I'm not missing something I should have.

Don't think I can last on mushy food for a month. When is it safe to try something solid?

I went to Mexico so I have a 4cc band. My doc said he determined the size of the band after he was inside and saw the size of the stomach etc. I asked him first thing after surgery because I really wanted to know. I am currently filled to 2cc and it feels perfect. I lost 2 lbs this week.

Do not worry about other people. We can never please everyone else so it only makes sense to please us. I haven't told people unless they notice that I am thinner, then I share because I hope to help some others to decide on the band in the future. I am in a loose size 14 now after being a tight 18W so people are starting to notice. The state-side bandsters have larger bands. I am not sure about the reason other than they are being more conservative in hopes to make them last longer. I plan on keeping mine for the rest of my life, even if I need to replace it someday. Hugs!!!!

I am in a loose size 14 now after being a tight 18W so people are starting to notice. The state-side bandsters have larger bands. I am not sure about the reason other than they are being more conservative in hopes to make them last longer. I plan on keeping mine for the rest of my life, even if I need to replace it someday. Hugs!!!!

JoJo, I feel the same as you. I was in a 16 but really should have been wearing 18's they were so tight! lol Anyway, I am now in 14. The other day I tried on a pair of 12 jeans I had in back of my closet. I am not quite there yet, I couldn't button them, but I was shocked to discover I could get them over my hips. :thumbup:

I agree, I am older (50) but I do plan on keeping my band as well :)

Made the mistake of eating a very small piece of bread yesterday. Chewed it very well, but, my goodness, the gas was very unpleasant.

Have been much better with my food choices today.

I sometimes eat bread, but it has to be toasted and I buy whole wheat. I had cinnamon toast this morning. But I think the more restriction I get, the less I will be able to eat such things :biggrin:

I just had surgery last week, 1-14-2010. I'm not hungry but I'm sticking to mostly Protein drinks and Greek yogurt so I'm quite satisfied and getting enough protein. Isopure is good for both fluids and protein.

I'm still quite sore and tired. I know that'll get better with time.

My BMI was 35 at surgery (I'd lost about 15 lbs prior to surgery) and I've gotten flack from people about even having the surgery. They don't get it, they also don't have my Type 2 diabetes, hypertension or hyperlipidemia. I reviewed this with the doctor pre-op and he said "We get it here". He understands the yo-yo dieting and the co-morbidities.

So, when I get flack, I just tell them I'm doing it for "health reasons" end of story-----it's my issue---not theirs :biggrin:

People have told me I didn't need lapband also but I currently don't have any health issues and that was one of the reasons I had the surgery now instead of waiting until I did develop health issues. When people say you don't need it just tell them you need to do it for yourself, you're not doing it for anyone else. I suppose many people also think it's the easy way to lose weight but it's anything but. Keep up the good work. I was banded on January 5th and have lost 14 pounds since the surgery so I have to say other than being tired I'm doing very well.

Thanks for your response----I agree! I'm doing this for me. Congratulations on your weight loss!! That's great!!:biggrin:

I totally agree with you, I too was tired of the yo-yo diets for far too many years.

I also didn't feel I was going to feel restriction, but boy do i now. I am actually a little too tight.

I have a 5cc band.

Good Luck!

Can I ask you lower BMI'ers how much you all have in your bands? I have 4.5 in a 10cc band and go this Monday for fill #3 ...... I can still eat everything, bread, rice, you name it I can get it in! So I am hoping another fill will help.