Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUNE 2009 Lap Band Surgery

kdpgal, did you get the ok to go back to your Water aerobics class yet? I tried last Tuesday to go back to Water aerobics but I didn't feel good (everything was bouncing around inside too much and I could feel my one-piece suit rubbing against my stitches) and I couldn't move fast enough to stay warm. So I left after 1/2 hour. My regular water aerobics class is tomorrow and I'm kind of afraid to try it again. My stitches are almost 100% healed (I was banded on the 4th) so I thought maybe I'd try it again. Just wondered what your experience with water aerobics was like (if you were cleared to return that is)?

Yes, I did, about 16 days post-op, he checked my incisions and said I was good to go... I haven't really had any problem, but I did FIND a new problem!!! Apparently my surgery/antibiotics really weakened my immune system and a got a nasty fungal infection on my inner thighs after my first class!!!!!!! Doc said it was bound to happen, the stuff is just out there in the air waiting for a nice warm host!! Ya me!! So I'm on antifungal for 2 weeks and sidelined until it goes away...:blushing:

ALSO-- Go to the store and get water-proof band-aids, that's what I did to keep my incisions from scratching on my suit, worked like a charm!!! And I did definetly kick it down a notch the first time back to class, I figured just moving around for an hour in the water was good enough!

Edited by kpdgal
add

I am a little disappointed so far, my band starts out at 4 cc's according to the docs office...I was not even hungry until 5 days post op and then I was ravenous...loaded up on sf pops (bad to the tummy btw) and then found out the wonder that is "soup to go"...still have a sour feeling tummy but what I am disappointed about is I HAVE NOT LOST ANY FREAKING WEIGHT post op...I dropped 35 pounds before surgery and am worried that my body is in starvation mode and is holding on to the weight...

Jtoler:

*** I know you hate Protein shakes at this point, I certainly do, so I went to GNC and got some Protein bullets, its a 3 oz tube that you drink, (8 swallows exactly!) and it has 45 grams of protein in it, so you don't have to suffer with the thick milky stuff so much!!! It has made a huge difference on my weightloss AND keeping my hunger at bay..*** ALSO, are you taking 2 10mg Pepcid tablets a day? My doctor requires it.. Check with yours, may help your sour tummy!

I am still in the mushy phase, my Dr.'s plan may differ from yours, but I will post my DailyPlate log, maybe it'll give you some ideas..!!

Edited by kpdgal
add

I HAVE NOT LOST ANY FREAKING WEIGHT post op...

I am there with you!!!!!!! I was 255 right before surgery, went down to a wavering 247ish within 4 or 5 days and then NOTHING!!! Now I have to admit that ice cream is a liquid :confused: but I've only had that twice, and I've only really walked a couple of times. But DUDE if I'm eating less than 1000 cals, sumtimes way less, a day then shouldn't I be losing??!! Grrr!! I know it will happen and that I need to get my butt a walkin! AND I am happy to announce that I am wearing shorts that I haven't worn in 3 YEARS!! :blushing:

kdpgal, did you get the ok to go back to your Water aerobics class yet? I tried last Tuesday to go back to Water aerobics but I didn't feel good (everything was bouncing around inside too much and I could feel my one-piece suit rubbing against my stitches) and I couldn't move fast enough to stay warm. So I left after 1/2 hour. My regular water aerobics class is tomorrow and I'm kind of afraid to try it again. My stitches are almost 100% healed (I was banded on the 4th) so I thought maybe I'd try it again. Just wondered what your experience with water aerobics was like (if you were cleared to return that is)?

In our pre-op session, we were told no swimming or water exercise until 6 weeks post-op. I think the reason is to give your incisions time to heal and to avoid any possible bacteria that can exist in pools. So be sure you ask about the water before you get in!

In our pre-op session, we were told no swimming or Water exercise until 6 weeks post-op. I think the reason is to give your incisions time to heal and to avoid any possible bacteria that can exist in pools. So be sure you ask about the Water before you get in!

Ya I met with the surgeon post op and my incisions were basically all healed over already so he gave me the blessing, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I got this nasty fungal infection (not in my incisions, but groin area) was from my gym's pool. I actually stopped and checked the health rating from the health dept. posted at the door, and they had a 100%, but I still think the pool was the culprit!!

:blushing:

Edited by kpdgal
sp

kpdgal, Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about the fungul infection. I like the idea of the waterproof bandaids. My stitches aren't totally 100% closed yet. Based on your experience, I think I might wait a little longer before returning to Water aerobics (the Y I go to gets a lot grosser in the summer--from the increased usage) . I'm up to 30 minutes on my exercise bike at home--hopefully that will be enough for now. Hope you're better soon!

I had my post op appt today and asked the surgeon about this. He said he thinks is the diaphragm spasming due to the change and swelling and he thinks it will diminish or go away completly with time. So waho for that hehe. Hope all is going well with you.

My surgeon also said I am healing well and said I could start solid foods slowly and one at a time with the exception of meat and bread still cant have those for a while. So we will see how that goes. I am nervous and excited at the same time. So far I have had no issues with anything I have eaten so I will see how things go! My scars are healing well and I cant wait for a fill next month because I dont feel I have any restriction at this point. How is everyone else doing thats around 3weeks out? I hope everyone is well!

Yes it was your post! I'm glad it's not just me. :confused: I am 100% positive about my answer that the muscles are spasming cuz it's been moved, but of course ask your doc.

I feel better and better every day! I am so energetic I want to walk but my fam it SO supportive of helping me (note the sarcasm) that it was an overwhelming NO. So we went to the movies (and then snuck into another one :blushing:). Now it's warm and very bright outside so I will wait for a bit.

Hey, I met one of my mini-goals!! I have a beautiful amethyst ring that my fingers got too big to where comfortably, so I told myself I can't wear it regularly until I am below 250. YEA!! I can wear it now!!

Now I gotta think of my next mini-goal and reward. I'd like to do a 5k in a few months. But weight wise I guess 235 is a goal cuz I was that weight the longest of my adult life.

I go in tomorrow for my banding. I'm so excited yet so scared at the same time. Good luck to myself and everyone getting banded tomorrow! :thumbup:

I go in tomorrow for my banding. I'm so excited yet so scared at the same time. Good luck to myself and everyone getting banded tomorrow! :thumbup:

You guys will do great, you will be home kicked back on the couch before you know it! Surgery was the simple part, it really is a breeze. Be prepared for a few uncomfy days, but lots of rest/walking and drinking your fluids will help you along quicker!

Get your heating pad and ice packs set up tonight and maybe an extra fluffy pillow for your stomach!

Cant wait to hear how you did!

hello surgery was 6/8/09

So far I have had no issues with anything I have eaten so I will see how things go! My scars are healing well and I cant wait for a fill next month because I dont feel I have any restriction at this point. How is everyone else doing thats around 3weeks out? I hope everyone is well!

astera, I'm 19 days post op and I also have had no problems with anything I've eaten. I've noticed as the days have gone by that I'm able to eat more and more at one sitting--I just keep eating until I feel full--I have an empty band and obviously have no restriction. But I think eating until I feel full is not really working for me right now. Today, contrary to my "weigh only once a week" rule for myself, I weighed myself and was terribly upset to find that I'd gained nearly 2 lbs. I go see my doctor next Wednesday for my first fill. I've decided that I'm going to have to approach the next seven days like I did my pre-op diet. I've got to go back to measuring my food and only eating very small portions. I'm going to have to make friends with Hunger again--I really hate Hunger--but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I can do anything for seven days! Good luck to you. :thumbup:

I don't eat until full, I eat a half of a cup at a time and when it's gone, I am done, I do feel satisfied, but not full, have not felt full since surgery, The rule is 1/2 cup or until full really for my Dr. I eat every 3 or so hours now, mostly high Protein (cottage cheese, protein shakes etc). I think especially for the Realize banders who haven't had their first fill that we can't eat til full, its too much food because we don't have much restriction at all, I caught myself GULPING down Water today because I was so hot, had my band been full, that probably really would have tripped me up. I am actually worried about my first fill because I don't know that I will no exactly how much to chew etc not to PB, My first fill is almost at the 6th week where I start eating meat again, and that to me is SCARY!:thumbup:

hello surgery was 6/8/09

Hi, you are at the right place!!! How is it going for you?!

I'm having issues!!!!

Might possibly be emotional eating issue but still...I WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING!!!! And I am a little.:) Not eating 'everything' but working my way to it!! I am suppose to start pureed and mushies tomorrow but have been pretty much eating those for a while, but eat spaghetti, ice cream, and just ate an English muffin! Now I know I'm not suppose to eat those, but I think the post surgery depression is kicking in for me. :frown: I gained 4 lbs over night a few days ago and when I thought I was doing good. Now I am a little stressed cuz we decided last week that we are going to move into a house with my husband (we have been seperated to 4 years) but have to find a house that doesn't do credit check or criminal check. And I have to move before I get evicted cuz I have a job now that pays, not peanuts, but only the shells. LOL hence why I have to move. Haven't been exercising just stressing. Boo Hoo Whoa is Me!! Thanks for listening.:(

I'm having issues!!!!

Might possibly be emotional eating issue but still...I WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING!!!! And I am a little.:) Not eating 'everything' but working my way to it!! I am suppose to start pureed and mushies tomorrow but have been pretty much eating those for a while, but eat spaghetti, ice cream, and just ate an English muffin! Now I know I'm not suppose to eat those, but I think the post surgery depression is kicking in for me. :frown: I gained 4 lbs over night a few days ago and when I thought I was doing good. Now I am a little stressed cuz we decided last week that we are going to move into a house with my husband (we have been seperated to 4 years) but have to find a house that doesn't do credit check or criminal check. And I have to move before I get evicted cuz I have a job now that pays, not peanuts, but only the shells. LOL hence why I have to move. Haven't been exercising just stressing. Boo Hoo Whoa is Me!! Thanks for listening.:(

Oh Spud Mama I'm so sorry you are going through a rough time right now! I too am having a bit of post surgery depression. I was banded on 6/16 and I am hungry all the time. Not just mind hunger, but straight up growling, gurgling hunger pains!! 2 days after I got my band I was having some issues at home and I was so sad I was asking God "what have I done to myself"? You are not alone!! Please keep in touch and we will get through this together!!

Cheryl :wub: