Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUNE 2009 Lap Band Surgery

Thank you all for responding! Oh my goodness, I was starting to think I was the only one who was laid low for a few days. What a relief!

I was banded 6/08/09. I have had a few 'set-backs.' I am still on liquids, to swollen for mushies. I was doing good yesterday. Even went on a short wally-world shopping trip. Then at 3:30 am, I woke up to a 3-hour episode of stomach retching, burping and a wee-bit of vomiting towards the end of the 'episode.' Poor hubs was frantic. I was so weak I promptly crashed on the couch. I'm finally feeling good. I've been sipping chicken broth all day. They also repaired a hiatal hernia. So, I don't know if that plays into my not-so-speedy recovery.

Glad to know someone else had this! I keep reading, "it didnt hurt at all" or "I wouldnt have believed it was in except I had a scar".....I am also day 3, june 12th. I believe my surgeon did an excellent job but I was really sore! Today I did manage to get out of the bed on my own and actually can tell I am starting to feel better. Holy crap, I thought it hurt and I am not a baby! I have had lots of surgeries over the years and this was on my radar as kinda painful! I also have been getting chilled very easy and I am always the hot girl in the room (fat ones usually are) and I have this weird pain under my left rib cage that goes away when I put my arms over my head! oh well...its here and behind us now so a new tool to help us reach our goals! Good luck to you (and everyone).

Jill

Glad to have read this as I have experienced the same sensation today, 6 days post op. I can't say I have been totally in paoin, but also can't say it was a walk in the park. I did commit to staying on pain meds for the first 4 days which made moving around, getting up and walking around alot easier. But no pain meds for 2 days and it is kind of stiff and sore around the five sites but not unbearable.

And since I already posted a response I thought I'd introduce myself. I was just banded this past Monday, June 8, 2009 by Dr. Collier in Conroe, that's just north of Houston for all you non-Texan folks. It has already been a learning and growing experience for me. I was fully confident right up until they called me from the waiting room to go in for pre-op. I kept asking myself "are you sure this is right for you?" Even as they rolled me in to the OR and put a mask on I questioned my motives. Of course I know it was the right decision and all I could think about was all the time and effort and thought that went into planning and preparing for the procedure. No way was I backing out. I have followed the doctors orders and lost 10 pounds since surgery on top of 20 lbs before story. I think I will stick with it cuz it's working. Naysayers have said of course you have lost weight, you haven't eaten anything. My response is either a. shut up (non family or friends) or b. (most likely) I have had enough Proteins to keep me full, stuffed feeling at times. Any how....howdee from Houston, glad to be a part of the JUNE JAMBOREE. (Could't resist) :tongue_smilie:

David

Naysayers have said of course you have lost weight, you haven't eaten anything.

David

At this point in our journey this is probably true. But have you ever been able to go for so long without eating before? I certainly haven't and the fact that I've done it without cheating or being extremely hungry is a "miracle" in itself.

I started mushies today. Didn't manage much Breakfast but had some tuna and mashed avo for lunch which was great. dinner will be mashed spuds, mince and whatever other vegies I can find and mash. Yum I can't wait.

Hi Everyone,

I just had my surgery on June 9th and I have not had a real easy time for whatever reason. I was wondering if anyone else has a pain that starts at the band site and kinda radiates up into your throat... It kinda feels like a spasm in my chest and throat and is not comfortable at all. I also get sick to my stomach constantly and if I get hot, that is when its the worse(I live in Texas, so if I go outside, its hot:sad:). I have not been able to do much and I am getting really frustrated. I thought things would be much easier by now. Any information that anyone can give will be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Hi Everyone,

I just had my surgery on June 9th and I have not had a real easy time for whatever reason. I was wondering if anyone else has a pain that starts at the band site and kinda radiates up into your throat... It kinda feels like a spasm in my chest and throat and is not comfortable at all. I also get sick to my stomach constantly and if I get hot, that is when its the worse(I live in Texas, so if I go outside, its hot:sad:). I have not been able to do much and I am getting really frustrated. I thought things would be much easier by now. Any information that anyone can give will be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Hi, I had surgery June 8th. Today has been one of the best days, so far. That spasm feeling may be one of three things that I --> who is NOT a doctor <--- can think of:

1) Swelling of stomach and your stomach rebelling against the band

2) gas

3) My surgeon put a little Fluid in the band during surgery to prime the band and didn't pull it out. So I had a 'restricted feeling.'

After a night of nausea and vomiting, I went to the surgeons office and that was the first thing they wanted to check. Sure enough, they pulled out Fluid. It made a world of difference. It set my recovery back a few days, but now I am seeing the light. The surgeon suggested I drink luke warm fluids to help 'sooth' my spasms. It did help.

Hope some of this helps. If something like Gas-X and/or warm fluids don't help, CALL YOUR DOCTOR. Also, you may want to call the surgeons office and ask that they call in something for nausea!

Hope you get better soon!

Woo-Hoo!:) Finally, I slept through the night! Well, I did wake up once for a pee-run! But, no nausea, horrid gas or pain keeping me up! I an finally see the light.

I think I am going to try a 'mushie' for lunch. I've been on liquids since my surgery on June 8th. :)

Hi I also had a June 1 2009 date. I had to have may gallbladder removed so my date has been moved to JULY 14, 2009. Anyone out there with a Jul 2009 Band date?

Waho post op 1 day shy of 2 weeks now and things are starting to kick back to normal.

I started soft foods yesterday and have been doing just fine with them so far. I am still having some weird spasmish pains from my stomach almost like I am hicuping with no hicup sound so thats an odd one I wil ask about at my post op appt.

My post op is not until next monday 3weeks post op which I thought was a bit od since most peoples were 2 weeks out but anyways. I am looking forward to getting to ask some questions I have come up with since.

I also took my steri strips off my port site today so that was nice to see the huge scar that is going to leave me as a reminder :-) It is still sore for sure but getting better every day.

I lost almost 12lbs the 1st week post op and this last week I lost nothing so I am not sure why that is since I was on liquids both weeks but ah well 12lbs is a crazy amount so I am still very happy.

How are all the other people that are a week or 2 out now doing?

Fine thank! I don't even feel like I've had an op. No pain or other problems. I get a slight pulling on my port if I turn too quickly but that's nothing. Am back at work and I managed to demonstrate CPR with no problems which was one of my concerns(I'm a First Aid trainer).

Started mushies yesterday. I'm a bit worried about PBing so I probably ate less than I am allowed but wanted to to be careful. I ate a lot slower than I normally do but still not sure if its as slow as I'm supposed to be eating.

I've only lost 3kg(6.6lb) since the op but I'm really happy with that.

Hope everyone else is doing fine too.

Im day 10 post-op, feeling great... im on the thick liquids portion of the post-op diet til thur, then I get to start cream of wheat and stuff like that. I can have creamed Soups that have been strained, and have been living off of cream of potato and cream of chick Soup and my Protein Drinks. I did get out with my fiance for a 1.5 mile walk... over did it totally, had to rush home for an emergency bathroom visit! I think this is about the point where the free ride of losing weight without exercise is over for me, gotta get my tail moving. I took 6 weeks off from work, so my only job is to make sure I do the maximum I can to get the best results before going back to work. Everyone knows I have had this procedure, so I am sure they will be evaluating my success (you know how women are!). Have my follow up tomorro afternoon, so looking forward to getting released to get back to my aqua-aerobics classes!!!!

Hello, I have a June 1st, 2009 Surgery Date. This is my first post on this site. Im excited, but also really nervous. Im having my surgery in New York City. Im looking forward to sharing my journey with everyone.:bored:

I also had my surgery done at NYU by Dr. George Fielding on 4/20. I am doing and feeling great. I hope by now you did have you surgery and you are on the road to recovery. I am down 231/2 lbs. and still have a lot more to go. Once I can figure out how to do the ticker on the bottom I will start it. any time you want to write or email me please do. Take care

ronnie

Hi all! New here...I was banded last Monday. It's been kind of a struggle the past week...more discomfort than I was expecting, but it's getting better every day. The gas pains are not as strong as they were last week, and I'm finally starting to sleep a little better. I had been having trouble getting into a sleeping position that didn't cause some stomach pain.

I'm reading that a lot of people really aren't hungry the first week, but I have been absolutely starving! The Water, jell-o and broth really aren't doing it for me. My dr recommends the Clear Liquids for 1 to 2 weeks... it's only been 1 week, but I'm praying that when I go for my follow-up with him tomorrow that I can move on to full liquids/purees. On the plus side, the weight's just been flying off this week!

Harvick -

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. No, I don't know what causes it, but I had severe pain radiating up into my chest making it hurt to breathe. Fortunately for me it happened the morning after surgery, and i was still in the hospital so they were able to increase my pain meds so I could breathe. They even sent me home with some pretty potent drugs. So, I would recommend you call your dr and see what they can do for you. No one should have to deal with that pain for long.

I had my surgery on June 9th, and things seem to be going ok for me. I am having trouble getting all my liquids down.. I have finally graduated from Clear Liquids to things like Protein drinks, yogurt, sf pudding, sf Jello, etc. I still have a feeling of pressure around my stomach. and I am having a lot of hiccups & gas that are all new for me. I hoped the gas would stop as the nurses in the hosp told me it was from the gas they pump into your abdomen to do the sx laproscopically. But all the gas pain is long gone, and I still have to pass gas.

I am having some trouble with energy. I went to the store today and almost passed out - cold, sweaty etc..and it was a very short list! I am doing ok on the exercise front... acutally walked around 1.5 miles today, just don't feel good while doing it. I had the same cold clammy feeling on the pre-op diet.. and my nutritionist added in 1/3c brown rice per day and it went away. Unfortunately I can't have that now. Just wanted some confirmation that someone else is having these problems.

35yo lab band 6/9/09, wt loss so far (including pre-op diet) 26lbs!!:bored:

I'm hoping I'll feel like doing more moving around in a few days, but so far (3 days post op), I'm still feeling weak and sore when I do too much. My big improvement today was that I've been able to get myself off the bed without help!