Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUNE 2009 Lap Band Surgery

I had my surgery on June 11th with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico. Everything was wonderful and I have been doing following their dietary rules with no problems. It has been scary though how much I can eat now! I will be four weeks out this Thursday and am on soft foods, but as long as I chew well and drink with the food (which I was instructed to do at this stage) it all goes down so easily. Before I started tracking my calories and getting into my exercise routine though (last week), I was weighed and weighed the same as I did pre-op! I was stunned....although I think I really overdid it when I started on the soft foods and just took in too many calories so I only have myself to blame. Now that I am writing down what I eat and have been exercising daily I hope I will start losing. I was just shocked and pissed off at myself too see that I had not lost more. I think another aspect is that I was given the larger VG band with the 10cc balloon, so I think that large, lack of restriction is what has allowed me eat too much with no problems. Generally I am not too concerned though since I made an appointment today for my first fill exactly 6 weeks post-op and then the weight should start to come off. Anyone else able to eat a lot a few weeks post-op and think it may be partially due to the larger VG band? I am not complaining, I was just expecting more weight loss earlier and to feel fuller faster.

Ifyourstomach, I don't think that having gas pains 3 weeks out is the gas pain from surgery. When do you get the shoulder and neck pain? Is it related at all to when you're hungry? To when you're full? The reason I ask this is because a week after surgery I continued to have a sharp pain in my back between my shoulder blades. It only happened at night when I was sleeping. I thought maybe it was gas from the surgery. But, after trying many different things to get rid of the pain, I noticed that I was also waking up very, very hungry. So I tried eating a little something and like magic, the pain in my back went away. I am almost 5 weeks post-op and it is still happening. I told my doctor about it at my first fill. He said that the pain was "unusual but not unexpected." So, if I were you, I would try and see if you can find a pattern to your pain. But I think it's too long since surgery for that gas to be hanging out with you still. Good luck. :)

I had my surgery on June 11th with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico. Everything was wonderful and I have been doing following their dietary rules with no problems. It has been scary though how much I can eat now! I will be four weeks out this Thursday and am on soft foods, but as long as I chew well and drink with the food (which I was instructed to do at this stage) it all goes down so easily. Before I started tracking my calories and getting into my exercise routine though (last week), I was weighed and weighed the same as I did pre-op! I was stunned....although I think I really overdid it when I started on the soft foods and just took in too many calories so I only have myself to blame. Now that I am writing down what I eat and have been exercising daily I hope I will start losing. I was just shocked and pissed off at myself too see that I had not lost more. I think another aspect is that I was given the larger VG band with the 10cc balloon, so I think that large, lack of restriction is what has allowed me eat too much with no problems. Generally I am not too concerned though since I made an appointment today for my first fill exactly 6 weeks post-op and then the weight should start to come off. Anyone else able to eat a lot a few weeks post-op and think it may be partially due to the larger VG band? I am not complaining, I was just expecting more weight loss earlier and to feel fuller faster.

I have the larger band, but I didn't know at first that they actually leave the band "EMPTY" after surgery. You may have a small amount of restriction after surgery, but that is mainly due to the swelling. You will find after your first fill, YOUR LIFE WILL CHANGE DRAMATICALLY! Enjoy while you can! Good luck!

willowcat, thanks for the thoughts. I usually forget to eat a snack in the afternoon which is when the pain comes--when I'm standing or walking, not when I'm sitting leaning slightly back. The problem is I've had major sugery on my neck before and have reherniated the neck once requiring an epidural to make it behave. I also injured my shoulder last winter and I know from past experience that you can get referred pain going back to neck from an injured shoulder. What's funny is I don't get this particular neck pain in the morning when I go for my walk--I just get my usual neck problems which I use stretches while I walk to control.

I was banded June 2nd so I am 1 month and 5 days out! I never thought I would get to this point so this is great!

I am going to respond to a few things over the past 3 or so pages on here because I haven't jumped on in a while.

I think it was spud mama that was talking about port pain and bending over. I have noticed that when I bend over to pick something up or I am doing some stretching that I get an uncomfortable feeling at my port site like I am bending right on top of it. It does not hurt and it does not hurt after I stop bending but its kind of weird. I was wondering if anyone knows if this will continue or if the weird sensation will go away later?

As to average loss ( cant remember who posted that one) I am 35 days out and I have lost almost 15 lbs. 12lbs of that was in the 1st 2 weeks after and then the loss died lol. I am really really hoping to get a fill at my next post opp appt on next monday the 13th.

And as a slide into this I have absolutly no restriction right now! I can eat anything at this point including bread Pasta rice meat etc with no issues what so ever. If I did not know the band was there I would not know I had it! The first 2 weeks I had restriction because of the swelling and that went away so did my restriction! I am hoping that a fill will fix that because my loseing has died and I am having to menatly throw everything I have at food to keep on track because I can eat way more than I should at this point. Is anyone eles feeling this that is about a month out? :biggrin:

And as a slide into this I have absolutly no restriction right now! I can eat anything at this point including bread Pasta rice meat etc with no issues what so ever. If I did not know the band was there I would not know I had it! The first 2 weeks I had restriction because of the swelling and that went away so did my restriction! I am hoping that a fill will fix that because my loseing has died and I am having to menatly throw everything I have at food to keep on track because I can eat way more than I should at this point. Is anyone eles feeling this that is about a month out? :biggrin:

I remember this feeling..like you might have done all this for nothing.. I also remember when I went to the doc for my fill.. He said, "Your life is about to change.".. and BOY DID IT EVER! Don't worry, you will KNOW YOU HAVE A BAND after you get a fill! Enjoy it while you can! lol! Good luck!

Astera,

Debbie is absolutely right. I had my surgery June 4 and after the purees I was eating big mouthfuls of whatever I wanted. I asked the nutritionist about all this small bites nonsense, and she said "You'll see." Had my first fill a week ago and now I have to be careful. Things feel like they back up, particularly yogurt for some reason.

I remember this feeling..like you might have done all this for nothing.. I also remember when I went to the doc for my fill.. He said, "Your life is about to change.".. and BOY DID IT EVER! Don't worry, you will KNOW YOU HAVE A BAND after you get a fill! Enjoy it while you can! lol! Good luck!

Thanks for this info... I had my surgery on the 18th of June. Since I have been back on regular food, I am not feeling any restriction. I know that I am eating less, but only because I am trying to eat less. I definately feel like I can eat more. I was hoping to feel more restriction and from you post it sounds like I will. My first fill will be next week on July 15th.

Thanks for this info... I had my surgery on the 18th of June. Since I have been back on regular food, I am not feeling any restriction. I know that I am eating less, but only because I am trying to eat less. I definately feel like I can eat more. I was hoping to feel more restriction and from you post it sounds like I will. My first fill will be next week on July 15th.

Hi! I'm a June 18th bandate too. I still have some restriction--particularly Breakfast, and also if I just have meat. My stomach definitely does not take to overstuffing it with dry meat. Or with egg whites. Also, when I just eat Protein, and follow the no-liquid protocol, I don't get hungry. I do sip 20 oz. of iced Decaf latte (3/4 cup milk) with Splenda in the morning and again in the afternoon. I think the protein in the milk keeps me from getting hungry. If my meals are more liquidy then I definitely can get more down. Im not that fond of the Snacks I have in the house (like sf ff choc. pudding or yoghurt so I don't overeat those. I'm more likely to grap a Propel. I do have a small can of V8 and I try to drink some diet V8 splash to help me get fruit and veggies. Real veggies with my meal tend to add liquid to the meat and I get more food in me. Don't know if that's good or bad. I wonder if the Dr. actually gave me a bit of a fill when he installed the band. I still have to stick to small swallows and bites and chew well or I can feel very uncomfortable.

Hi! I'm a June 18th bandate too. I still have some restriction--particularly breakfast, and also if I just have meat. My stomach definitely does not take to overstuffing it with dry meat. Or with egg whites. Also, when I just eat Protein, and follow the no-liquid protocol, I don't get hungry. I do sip 20 oz. of iced Decaf latte (3/4 cup milk) with Splenda in the morning and again in the afternoon. I think the protein in the milk keeps me from getting hungry. If my meals are more liquidy then I definitely can get more down. Im not that fond of the Snacks I have in the house (like sf ff choc. pudding or yoghurt so I don't overeat those. I'm more likely to grap a Propel. I do have a small can of V8 and I try to drink some diet V8 splash to help me get fruit and veggies. Real veggies with my meal tend to add liquid to the meat and I get more food in me. Don't know if that's good or bad. I wonder if the Dr. actually gave me a bit of a fill when he installed the band. I still have to stick to small swallows and bites and chew well or I can feel very uncomfortable.

Last night I went out to dinner and had a veggie burger and fried zuccinni. I guess I do have some restriction, because I couldn't finish the burger. Before I could have eaten the whole thing... and then grabbed some fries from my husbands plate.. lol

I am really looking forward to getting my fill next week. I don't want the weight to come off too fast... I would be happy with 2-3 lbs a week in the beginning. And I expect that to slow down once I get closer to my goal. I have almost 130 lbs to lose... I would be happy if I could make my goal within 2 years.

Had a terrible day today. My mom and I were going to ride the train to downtown Chi-town and couldn't find parking that wasn't permit parking in time to make the train. We decided to wait to catch the next, but then were told we were not in a valid parking spot. My mom, in hurrying to find out where we could park didn't see that she was on a 3 sided stoop with no railings and fell on her knee. (She's 76) She opted not to go for an x-ray and I took her home and propped up her knee, got pain meds in her, and started icing the knee. She was able to limp on that leg. My dad came home and eventually she had to use the washroom. She couldn't get out of the chair and my dad tried to turn the lounge chair with her in it (he's 81) and we both yelled at him to stop. He took offense. We managed to get my mom out of the chair and she used a walker to get to the washroom but had trouble gettin up from the toilet. She came out and said she wanted to call my bro who is a physician who lives in Mich. My dad said why bother, he can't come here to see it. (They have free long distance and why he should deny her calling someone for advice made no sense.) My mom was still walking around which I was afraid would cause even more pain and swelling once she sat down so I said I thought she should sit down and not keep walking. My dad told me I should just shut up. I screamed at him that he should shut up, that he knew nothing about medicine and he was too bossy, Then I went to the phone and called my brother who told us to take my mom to the hospital. Even though she could walk people her age might not feel that the bone (end of the tibia) behind the patella (kneecap) could be broken. So he ended up taking her there even though he had said she should wait a few days and see how she was doing. My poor mom. It's partly her fault because she's incredibly indecisive and has never handled my dad's bossiness well. I generally present her with options and try not to make the decisions for her, but its hard. Anyway, the whole day was a bust. I feel terrible for yelling at my dad but I'm still angry. I'm writing about it because normally I'd really get into the food about now.

And I haven't even talked about my car. Let's just say its making more noise than my stomach and once I got my son to take it seriously he discovered major issues and now I've got to decide whether to fix it or replace it and I hate buying cars and I've got conflicting advice from my husband, my son, and my dad. aargh.

Hi everyone!

I'm a June 9th bander and new to this website. Thought it would be a good idea to get some additional support. I go for my first fill on July 30th. While I notice that I still don't eat as much as I did before the surgers, I can eat a little more and now for the last week, I didn't lose any weight. However, I have lost some inches because of the exercise. I'm going to start adding light weights next week.

Good luck to everyone!:thumbup:

weight.png

ifyourstomachoffendsyou, sorry about your bad day!

Welcome, BandGal50! I was banded on the 8th so I'm at the same place that you are... now that I can eat a little more, the weight loss has slowed a bit. I lost 14 lbs the first week, but now it's only about 2 pounds a week. But I have to keep reminding myself that I haven't even had a fill yet, so I can't expect things to be too dramatic just yet.

Speaking of fills, for all of you who have had fills already... once we have one, do we start over with the whole eating cycle? Like, go back to the progression of liquids, mushees, soft foods, etc. And if so, about how long does the progression take before you're back to regular foods?

I was at the doctor the other day and saw "the day of fill" instructions laying on the counter. From what I read it said mushy's for one day and then back to your normal routine. Which if you had a fill I would think your normal routine should be shifted a bit...lol

I can't believe this place and you people and the wonderful advice you're giving. I was banded on June 27 and my first fill will be on August 12. I now feel normal. I'm eating well considering I am 4 cups, as in coffee cup size, of food a day and free fluids. I am losing, 15 lbs so far but what a joy to find you all. I hope I can also contribute so positively before very long, Louise x