Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All MARCH '09 Bandsters - We need a name!

:rolleyes: Hello Everyone! For all of you who have been banded this March, how long would you say the recovery time is? I know everyone differs but I am trying to get an idea because my surgery will be in April and I want to make sure I take ample amount of time off...just want to hear from others experiences. :thumbup:

:laugh: Hello Everyone! For all of you who have been banded this March, how long would you say the recovery time is? I know everyone differs but I am trying to get an idea because my surgery will be in April and I want to make sure I take ample amount of time off...just want to hear from others experiences. :thumbup:

Hey Queen V, I know that everyone is completely different on healing time but I had my surgery on Thursday and two days later I'm doing ok. Still sore in the stomach area but I'm able to move around and do some small cleaning in the house. If you have a desk job, I don't see why taking more than 2 or 3 days off after surgery would be a problem. I took off a week just because I didn't know but I think by Monday I'll be up and runnin' (not literally, haha). Good Luck!

My surgery date is March 13th, and I've start the presurgery diet. I'm using Atkins shakes and EAS shakes to avoid the sugar & eating lean meat & green veggies at night. Most of my cravings are under control but food commercials are the devil!

>WHOOP WHOOP< STUPID QUESTION ALERT: I tried to change my current weight on my weight loss ticker. I just edited the number on the ticker code at my profile here. Nothing happened. How do I update my ticker?

Im March 16th too!!! Where are you having your surgery? Im so excited to get this ball rolling. Good luck to you.

Bernadette:blush:

Hi Everyone,

My surgery is set for March 24th!!!! I'm late in March but so looking forward to it, not so much looking forward to the needles that are involved but I can deal. I hope everyone thats gone is so far is doing well and hope everyone that has to do the liquid diet with me does well, I'm a little worried about trying to to cheat but I think I will do okay my diet starts tuesday and tomorrow I'm clearing out the food in my room and in my apartment so I'm not tempted and I already have some pretty tasty Protein Shakes so I don't see this being to awful of course ask me in a week and we'll see. I was wondering if anyone had any secrets to kill the hunger cravings?

Thanks so Much for the advice. I was super nervous when I went in yesterday and told the nurse so they tricked me. All I remember is them saying "We're just gonna start giving you oxygen..." and I was out. So I didn't have time to really panick. I made it home today (due to an overnight stay for insurance purposes) and I'm just trying to relax. But I thought I'd get on here and say that All went great and good luck to everyone who's getting it done soon. Walking sure does make the gas go away and all that's left is the soreness of your stomach like you've done an hour long Ab Attack Class at a gym. Literally - AB ATTACK! Loving it already though!:)

Miss Can-Do,

I'm SO glad to hear that your surgery went well, sounds like they gave you the liquid Versid early, good! Yeah, I'm 5 days out now and still feel a bit sore but nothing like I thought I'd feel. I do get indigestion, mostly in the mornings, I have to learn to drink my liquids more slowly. Yesterday was the first day I felt any hunger, had a 1/4 cup of Tomato Soup, boy was that yummy! It took away the hunger, hope it will always be this easy!

I am scheduled to be banded on 3/10. Is there a group of people that are going to be banded for that date? I am new to this site and I have not figured out how everything works.

WOW there are so many people being banded this week I can't remember all of the names. GOOD LUCK, and keep us posted on your journey. Im scheduled for the 16th and can't wait!!! Thanks to all that posted on their surgery, its good to hear about someone who has just been thru this.

Bernadette:thumbup:

PS why is it that there is such a difference in having the liquid diet, some do some don't and some it is 3 days some 2 weeks??? You would think it would be the same for everyone.

Bernadette,

Congrats on your surgery date, it will be here soon! As far as the pre-surgery diet, all doctors are different, who knows why. My doc, Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver CO has his patients go on a low carb diet for one or two weeks before surgery, the time frame depends on your starting BMI score. The goal is to get your liver less fatty before surgery, with laproscoptic surgery they need to move the liver out of the way and if it's too big they can't move it without doing an open procedure, which noboby wants. I think some surgeons don't think we have the will to stay on a low carb diet so they make them do the liquids instead. Hope that makes sense!

Cheryl

well the day is fast approaching, tomorrow is surgery.

I am nervous :scared2:and keep questioning whether I am doing the right thing:unsure:...but continuing to go on gaining weight will only cause me serious medical problems in the long run. I think I made the right decision.:)

I know there are several of us scheduled tomorrow, and I wish all of us the best and a smooth recovery.

(Good luck Rochel, have not seen you post in awhile but thoughts are also with you)

Good luck Gabi! Come back and tell us about it!

Thanks for the good wishes ljjluv. My surgery is tomorrow and I am wayyyy nervous. I cheated on my pre-op diet (was supposed to be full liquids but some days did 2 shakes plus one meal), but I still lost 11 pounds so I'm hoping I'll be fine.

sounds like you did well, AIT. 11 lbs is significant in a short amount of time

Gabi, please post about how your experience was when you are able.

I will do the same.

Some thoughts entering in...

I hope I am sedated very early on, I really do not want to know much. I am wondering how to fill the void that food will leave...

Edited by ljlluv