Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Hello to all my fellow Novembers. I am doing fabulously well as far as the lap band goes. I am down around 22 pounds now and I have awesome restriction. No problems (so far) with getting anything stuck or PBing/sliming and I hope to keep it that way as long as possible. I'm slowly adding solid foods back into my diet and I must say Fiber is a godsend! :tt1:

On the downside, what with my already weak immune system and then having the surgery, I got a nasty cold that seems to have turned into bronchitis as they so often do for me. I have an appointment with my doctor in a few hours so hopefully she will give me meds to take care of that.

I have definitely noticed that the weight loss is much steadier when I make sure to get my walking in. Otherwise, the weight seems to stand steady until I walk more.

Overall, so far I am very pleased and so glad I did this!

I was banded on 11/6/08 and lost 13lbs almost immideately. Now Im losing nothing and its very frustrating. I work out 5 to 6 times per week and I think I am doing pretty well with the diet stuff. Portions are good and the choices are almost good! Is anyone else having the same issues or am I being impatient?

I was also banded 11/6/08, and I am starting to have the same feeling of being stuck. I can't say that I've been working out as I should. I find that when I work out, the weight leaves, but the day I miss, it comes right back. My fat is fighting against leaving this body. LOL! I am going to have to get back on my routine. Not working out for a month as been really hard. I am trying to get back into my routine.

I just got approval to eat solids, so that makes me happy and scared all at the same time. I will be on the eliptical tonight :tt1:

Hi Novembers..... So am I the only one who got my surgery in November and haven't started losing yet? I got my surgery 11/11/08 and just today got my first fill. I did not lose a pound yet. I have not felt the slightest bit different as far as hunger goes yet. Hopefully the fill today will help that. I have a 10cc band and at the surgery had 1 cc. Today they added 4 more for a total of 5. Please tell me I am not the only one who hasn't started losing. I am so excited for everyone who is losing but at the same time I am getting really discouraged I haven't lost anything yet. What am I doing wrong? I haven't gained either but I just haven't lost. Help!! Any good words?

Hi Hoosatiger: We were banded on the same date. I have mysecond follow up appointment this morning. And I am hungry. After I eat, I am satisified for about two to three hours top. But before I would be satisified for about 4-5 hours. I am going to be for a fill today, but I doubt they will give it to me.

I was told the first fill at my doctor's office is 6-weeks post op, but the doctors are taking vacations so the actual first fill will not be until 1/14/09. I cannot wait that long.:tt1:

Hi Hoosatiger: We were banded on the same date. I have mysecond follow up appointment this morning. And I am hungry. After I eat, I am satisified for about two to three hours top. But before I would be satisified for about 4-5 hours. I am going to be for a fill today, but I doubt they will give it to me.

I was told the first fill at my doctor's office is 6-weeks post op, but the doctors are taking vacations so the actual first fill will not be until 1/14/09. I cannot wait that long.:(

Thanks. It's good to know I am not alone. I have been going to the gym and swimming laps as well as walking but my appetite has not been reduced one bit. I just got my first fill yesterday so today and tomorrow I have to eat mushies again. So can't tell how much it has helped but I haven't been very hungry today. I ate some chichen/noodle Soup for lunch and that is all I have had today and I am not hungry at all. So hopefully the weight will start coming off now. How much have you lost since the surgery? I just get really frustrated when I see people who have lost 20 and 30 lbs already and had the surgery after me and I have now officially lost 3 lbs.

Thanks. It's good to know I am not alone. I have been going to the gym and swimming laps as well as walking but my appetite has not been reduced one bit. I just got my first fill yesterday so today and tomorrow I have to eat mushies again. So can't tell how much it has helped but I haven't been very hungry today. I ate some chichen/noodle Soup for lunch and that is all I have had today and I am not hungry at all. So hopefully the weight will start coming off now. How much have you lost since the surgery? I just get really frustrated when I see people who have lost 20 and 30 lbs already and had the surgery after me and I have now officially lost 3 lbs.

Don't take people's weight loss tickers to heart. Almost everyone includes their pre-op weight loss in their tickers. So it might say 30lbs lost and surgery was on 11/15 (or whatever) but I guarantee you it's not all post-op weight loss.

Personally I think your ticker should show how much you've lost since surgery, but a lot of people like to show how much they've lost overall, and for some people who had a really strict or really long pre-op diet, it can be very misleading!!!

Hi Novembers,

I was banded on Nov. 12th and at my two week post-op I had lost six pounds. I'm going to stop back on Friday and weigh myself again. (My scale weighs about four pounds heavier than the clinic scale. :()

I am happy for the people with the greater weight loss, but I also console myself with the fact that my clothes are still getting looser and even if the scale is moving slowly, my exercise is sure helping the size, if not the weight loss. Fast or slow, we are all going to get to the finish line.

You will get there. It takes time, but we all get there eventually.

I did get my fill today. I definitely feel a difference. I had 3cc at surgery and some how lost .5cc. The doctor pull the Fluid out today to see what was in there. Shen then put that back and inserted another 1.5cc. I now have 4cc. I am on fluids today and tomorrow.

After a seminar, we all sat down and had a discussion on all phases of the diet. On the soft food issue, we were told it would be more texture food but easily to chew slowly and not hard on your new tummy. I made a personal list because I would like my family to eat similar of what I eat. I showed my nutritionist my list on consultation day and she was ok with it. I had no added sugar fresh fruit bowl with different melons, steamed veggies with broc, carrots and cauliflower, and a squash casserole with lean chicken. But this wont be my diet for another 2 months. I'm soo hungry for this now but tomorrow would be the end of my first week. Let's see what he says.

How are you feeling now

Hi Novembers,

I was banded on Nov. 12th and at my two week post-op I had lost six pounds. I'm going to stop back on Friday and weigh myself again. (My scale weighs about four pounds heavier than the clinic scale. :))

I am happy for the people with the greater weight loss, but I also console myself with the fact that my clothes are still getting looser and even if the scale is moving slowly, my exercise is sure helping the size, if not the weight loss. Fast or slow, we are all going to get to the finish line.

Hi Cl I lost my weight quickly after surgery but has slowed down very quick once I started reall food. I'm happy with knowing clothes are fitting much looser. I'm excited to get back to the gym and tone. I do also have to tell myself that it's better for our new bodies if we loose it slowly .:lol: My doc said a 1lb a week.

I really understand where people are coming from. The weight was really coming off when I was on the Soups, but now that I'm eating, I am not seeing the same results. I haven't been filled yet, due to the holiday it was decided that I wait until after the New Year. I know I will have to work hard to make sure that I don't gain any weight. I am getting hungry a lot faster than I would want to, I can't eat as I use to (and that's with no fill). I know things will get better for me. I am just going to workout and pray.

That is all I can do.

Everyone stay encouraged

Hello Notorious Novembers!

It was a tough week - I started putting more solid food into my eating plan based on what my doctor told me, and I only lost a pound. Total now is 25, 10 pre-band and 15 post-band.

I know I need to work out - and I've gotten back in the gym this week. Walking is okay, but because I've been doing it pretty steadily, my body doesn't respond the same way that it used to. I guess I've gotten stronger and more aerobically fit, though I know my strength level is down somewhat because I'm not lifting weights.

I understand and sympathize with those whose weight loss has slowed down - mine too. I also have not had my first fill (I don't think they put any Fluid in my band at insertion) and won't until early-to-mid January. The head hunger is still here and sometimes it's really hard to make good choices.

I find journaling helps - writing down everything that passes through my mouth helps keep me honest. Trying to get in my Protein and limit carbs, etc. I am drinking my Water - thankfully - but still drink a bit during meals, which I know is not the best for me.

I'll keep plugging along and try to keep the small losses coming until I get my first fill. My goal is to lose 10 lbs a month, which would put me at my goal by September 2009. That would be awesome - I want to be one of the banders that reach their weight loss goal in one year.

Everyone stay encouraged, and know that as our bodies adjust, we may hit plateaus with weight loss, but we are doing infinitely better than if we had done nothing different...:wink:

I'm doing wonderful...I had my first fill today -- 4cc, exactly 4 weeks after surgery. I lost 10 lbs since surgery and the doc was happy with that. He said he'd add 2 more cc next month when I come in. The last week I've been so hungry between meals, but I definitely see a difference today -- had to eat very slow for lunch and am not the least bit hungry 3 hours later. Good luck to everyone!

My first fill (3 cc) did not go well. I had a lot of swelling and had to have part of it removed. I am just now recovering from the dehydration. My doc feels my stomach is just very sensitive.

I have just over 1 cc in my band but am doing well with that so far. I have good restriction and can not eat much.

I am still losing weight so I am not complaining! :wink: I go for my next attempt at a fill right around the beginning of the New Year.

My first fill (3 cc) did not go well. I had a lot of swelling and had to have part of it removed. I am just now recovering from the dehydration. My doc feels my stomach is just very sensitive.

I have just over 1 cc in my band but am doing well with that so far. I have good restriction and can not eat much.

I am still losing weight so I am not complaining! :wink: I go for my next attempt at a fill right around the beginning of the New Year.

sista how did you know that you had to much in your band?

sista how did you know that you had to much in your band?

I'm going to answer this even though you asked someone else. :)

For my first fill, my doctor put in 2.4cc first, and then had another needle with 1.4cc in it. Once the 2.4cc was in, he slowly injected the saline in the other needle, and after most of that was in, he stopped. He then had me sit up (with the needle still in) and take 2 sips of Water. Mind you, I felt the saline go into the band (it was cold) and I felt the band tighten around my stomach - it was really freaking weird, haha.

So, I took one sip of water and was about to take another when I literally felt the water stop in my pouch - and it didn't go down. It was sitting there, partially backed up into my esophagus - it was so cool! So I told him the water wasn't going down and I couldn't take another sip. He removed a little saline with the needle and I felt the water slowly go down.

AAAGGGGHHHHHH, creepy I tell ya. I could feel everything. But anyways, we went back and forth like that, testing the restriction I had on 2 sips of water, until he felt I was in a good spot. I ended up with 3.4cc in my band for my first fill. :wink: