Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Bonnie, the DDR sounds so fun! We just got a Wii last weekend and we are trying to decide which games to get. That sounds like a good one.

I just noticed you are doing C25K before your surgery too! I'm so proud of y'all for getting started before surgery. I can tell y'all are going to be huge successes!!

g-girl, you will love your Wii. My kids have 3 different systems and I only play the Wii. I really want to get Wii Fit but its sold out just about everywhere I check. I told my husband I would like it for Christmas but I have already started shopping for it. It looks like a lot of fun. I just hope the workout is as intense as DDR.

Yes, I started C25K before being banded and started changing my eating habits because I wanted to prove to myself that THIS is the time. I am tired of life passing me by. We travel a lot and I have a great life, but I am tired of my every thought being consumed with weight. I want to really LIVE and LOVE the life I have and I am going to do it with or without the band. I have never really had a problem with losing the weight, but I had a huge problem with binge eating in the past and I kept gaining everything back. I think the band will prevent me from binging like I have done in the past. The first week was tough and I kept thinking that someone my size should NOT be running. This week I am feeling great and I can actually visualize myself in the future be a real runner...and I haven't really lost much weight in the past week, but this C25K program I believe is really going to work!

The first week was tough and I kept thinking that someone my size should NOT be running.

That is exactly how I felt (and still feel a little). I'm doing more waddling than running, lol. It's strange because I woke up this morning wanting to try running again but I know I need to wait and give my body a break. I did NOT think I would be WANTING to run after the first one.

Georgia Girl and Bonnie - you both rock!!! Pre band the only exercise I did was walking to the fridge to get ice cream!

Lyn- hope surgery went well today!

Bonnie- re speed- maybe do a longer warm up and then go up a tad on your speed?? I found I was "overrunning" the treadmill and had to go up a bit at times.

Had to delay run 2 week 4 until tomorrow. Had a work meeting at 730 am and I met with my trainer today and didn't have time.

Has anyone noticed that running is in some ways a mental challenge even more than physical? yes it kicks my butt physically but I find that I have to talk myself into another minute, another 30 sec, whatever and when I finally do, I physically can do it.

I know what you mean about waddling...its kind of funny because when I am "running" at 4.0 and thinking woo hoo...look at me running and then I get a glimpse in the mirror that runs the whole side of the gym and actually see my running it is totally laughable! It doesn't look like running from THAT view....but I keep up with my stride and I am not struggling to keep up with the belt on the treadmill. When I first started I found that I kept riding back a little on the treadmill and then would have to do some sprint kind of runs to get back up to front of the treadmill. Within a week I could stay steady at the front of the treadmill. THAT was an accomplishment!

I know bandsters are not supposed to chew gum but I find I breathe smoother when I have gum in my mouth. Without the gum I tend to "forget" to breathe...not really, but I seem to hold my breath more. Am I the only one?!?!

Edited by BonnieMcC

McGreen

I think I will definately speed up my walk more and maybe my run a little more. I don't want to kill myself or get discouraged, but I noticed that my heart rate isn't as high as it was a week ago because the workout feels a little "easier"---and by easier I don't mean EASY!

I will let everyone know what I do on friday when I do my next run!

I know what you mean about waddling...its kind of funny because when I am "running" at 4.0 and thinking woo hoo...look at me running.

On my treadmill 4.0 is jogging. That is the speed Im at for the "run" portion too. I found myself thinking today soon this will be my slow speed for intervals in a few months. I hope.

I know bandsters are not supposed to chew gum but I find I breathe smoother when I have gum in my mouth. Without the gum I tend to "forget" to breathe...not really, but I seem to hold my breath more. Am I the only one?!?!

Gum while running? My trainer gave me holy hell when I did that once. He said he flat out refused to do rescue breathing on me when I choke on it. That did it for me. No gum.

Edited by ajoneen

I think not only is exercise more mental for my that physical but the whole weightloss procedure is more of a mental thing for me.

On the treadmill within a week I went from thinking "Oh please Lord let me get through this interval" to "Just keep going and you will get to goal...its a race to the goal!!!"

Weightloss is the same way. Its a constant battle between good and evil, bad decisions and good ones. It is battling my old way of thinking vs the "new me". Its knowing when to say "Enough is enough!" and to just say "NO!"

Gum while on the running? My trainer gave me holy hell when I did that once. He said he flat out refused to do rescue breathing on me when I choke on it. That did it for me. No gum.

:blush::eek::eek: I think in my whole adult life I have NEVER swallowed my gum, so I never thought of the risk of actually choking on it! Maybe I should try to ween myself from chewing it! YIKES!:eek::eek::eek:

I think not only is exercise more mental for me then physical but the whole weightloss procedure is more of a mental thing for me...Weightloss is the same way... It is battling my old way of thinking vs the "new me".

Exactually!!

I am my own worst enemy.

:blush::eek::eek: I think in my whole adult life I have NEVER swallowed my gum, so I never thought of the risk of actually choking on it! Maybe I should try to ween myself from chewing it! YIKES!:eek::eek::eek:

That might be a good idea, especially after you are banded. I've heard horror stories of people swallowing their gum and having to have it surgically removed because it won't go down.

Hey everyone. Haven't posted in a couple of days. I've been working a bunch of extra hours so that I could get some days off the rest of this week. My husband is going in for back surgery tomorrow morning. :cool2: Between the extra hours at work and all the things I needed to get done before his surgery, I didn't get to do day 1 of week 3 until today. I thought I might die! hahaha I did the last day of week 2 on Saturday, so maybe 3 days rest in between was just too much. The last interval kicked my butt! I did it though. I pushed myself and made it. So far I am keeping my speeds the same 3.5 for walk and 4.5 for jog. I hope I am able to get down to the gym again on Friday. We'll see.

Everyone is doing so great! I SO enjoy coming here to catch up on you all!

Way to go mamato. For me, week 3 is definately harder. I am going to do day 2 tonight. We have been gone all day. Wednesday is our parent visit day for our foster kids. We let at 8 this morning for visits and got home after 3. The kiddos are exhausted and grumpy, so I will wait until they go to bed!!

Everyone is doing sooo good!! Keep it up!!!!

Amanda, Bonnie and Mamato! yall are all doing great!

Renewed hope- hope you were able to get your run in last night!

Did week 4 run 2 today - walk at 3.7; run at 5.0-5.1. It was harder this time than on day 1. I had to extend my walks 30 seconds between runs. I think I'm going to repeat this week before moving on. It isn't necessarily that I'm out of breath although by the end of the 2nd 5 minute run I'm huffing a bit, my legs feel like they are weak. Weird.

does anyone enjoy running yet?? I'm not certain I do. I love how I feel after but during. Not so much.

Happy Thursday everyone!!!

Haven't posted in a few days, and haven't run or exercised since last Friday.:) Unless you count fishing all day and cleaning fish for 3 hours or laying foundation and building a shed all day.

Glad everyone is doing well and staying the course. Keep it up!

I must admit that I have been trying to find a good excuse to bow out of this challenge. School will be starting soon and I feel like I'm not going to stick with it if I have to run in the hot ass Mississippi afternoon heat or work around my husbands wacky work schedule. Unfortunately, my frame of mind has not changed enough regarding exercise. I can still talk myself out of it much too quickly.

I'm trying to talk myself into getting up to start Day 4 of week 2 right now. I'm repeating week 2, as I'm not quite brave enough to try week 3, yet.

I have given myself a list of excuses...I'm still sleepy, I need to clean up, I have clothes to fold, I have errands to run, I need to start preparing for the new school year. I know that they are all excuses. I will be honest and say that right now, I am just not motivated to exercise and I just don't feel like moving! Right now, I could give two flips about the rocky music! :confused: What is wrong with me????

Edited by MSnika3