Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I just did Week 2 day one and see what everyone is talking about! It wasn't as hard (atleast I didn't think so) as week 1. I really found my groove today and was running to the beat. I also went from watching the seconds go by (and thinking "please hurry up") to watching out the window and thinking motivating thoughts like "Im gonna make this months goal, Im gonna fit into that dress, Im gonna be skinny IF I JUST KEEP GOING" and it kept me moving! I like the songs better on podrunner week 2 better than week 1.

I'm using my treadmill too. I've had a crazy morning/afternoon I'm going to do my workout this evening.

Renewed my hat goes off to you! I have 3 kids and boy the keep me going....I can't imagine 5!

Can you say HARD!! Man week 3 really seems to have stepped it up. The man who talks at the beginning said that they increase the BPM of the songs by 2 on week 3. So....I increased my speeds by 2. I am walking at 3.7 and running at 5.2. The 3 minute runs are hard, but I ran and made it through!!!! Here's the crazy part. I don't know where my brain was when the cool down tones played because I sooo didn't hear them. I ended up running the last 4 1/2 minutes. I thought I would die. I didn't think the cool down would ever start. Then the music stopped all together. It was done. I'm such a goob.

I went to the doctor today. I got a slight fill of only .1cc. Anyway, I began the couch to 5k 3 weeks ago. In the 3 weeks prior to starting it I lost 9 pounds (all fat). In the last 3 weeks I have lost 3 pounds (all muscle). This is so not good. I eat low carb. I'm thinking witht he increase exercise I need to add more healthy carbs and more Protein. What do you guys think??

~Renewed~ Let me know what you do and if it works. My Dr. had a fit when I told him about the couch to 5K. I called back and spoke to him. (because I feel so confused and conflicted) He asked me to do it his way for a few weeks and see if I lose more weight. So far I am dropping much faster. I am only working out every other day (rather than every day) and I am only going 35 minutes rather than an hour and I have to stay in Fat Burn rather than Cardio.

I am still at a loss as to how exercising less helps with weightloss. It goes against everything I know. He said once I lose more weight, I can up my exercise. He said something about working out hard builds muscle and the body can't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. That I will lose faster if I am not building muscle. He mentioned some other things I didn't quite follow. Does anyone quite get what he is talking about? I know he tells all of his patients not to exercise too much until they have lost about 1/2 their weight, or plateaued.

All his staff have been banded and urged me to do it this way. They are all tiny little things now. Of course they all workout hard now, but say not before they lost a significant amount.

I feel that this is a bit controversial and I am NOT confrontational at all. I just feel comfortable asking you guys. You all have come a lot further than I have. I have agreed to do it his way through July. Last month, I only lost 2 lbs. I have lost 3 already in July. I almost don't want him to be right.

renewed--if you lost muscle wouldn't that be because you arent getting enough protein...which with low carb I am sure you are getting plenty of protein! I don't get it. How did he measure that it was muscle loss instead of fat? I know at Curves they had a machine that measured it. Sorry I don't have any answers for you. I am a paranoid person and I would be afraid if I started adding carbs I would start gaining. I guess you could start slowly by adding more veggies and a fruit a day...but there goes ketosis!

Wendy-

I would love to hear some explanations behind this as well. It doesn't make much since to me either. I do know sometimes after days of exercise and I take a day off, the next day I seem to drop a pound...whats up with that?

I have been exercising 5 days a week with 3 being c25k and the other 2 being either bike or something else.

Has your weightloss increased, stayed the same or decreased since you started?

My nephew and his wife are both personal trainers. They tried to explain some of it to me. The old, muscle weighs more than fat, blah, blah, blah. But I just think if I increase the calories burned, I would lose more. It doesn't seem like rocket science.

Though, I have been fat my entire life - so maybe it is rocket science :-)

The 3 weeks prior to the past 3 weeks i lost 9 pounds. However, I tend to lose in spurts. During this past 3 weeks where I have only lost 3 pounds I have had a stomach virus and TOM, so that may be all it is.

When I weigh I take off socks and shoes and stand on a metal surface. The machine reads my BMI, tells how much more I need to lose, etc. I know it is not fail proof, but it has always showed that I lost fat or Fluid not muscle. Muscle loss is just not acceptable to me. i am pretty concerned about this. Not exercising is not an option for me either. Minpin, according to your doctor I should be increasing my exercise at this point. I am over halfway.

I am wondering if I need to quit doing low carb. BUT.... low carb has always worked well for me in the past.

Maybe i jsut need to chill out, change nothing, and see if all levels out. I may be freaking over nothing.

Wendy - that makes no sense to me- I guess if you aren't working out as much, you lose muscle and fat so your overall weight drops. If you lose more fat than muscle- your weight won't drop as much but you will lose inches and keep your metabolism up. Psychologically it seems like the first route would be best for those struggling but I'd rather build muscle and have the fat go more slowly. My weight isn't dropping (and it should be based upon calories eaten) but my pants are looser. Its all confusing to me too :confused_smile:

Renewed- wow! re your family- that is fabulous that you are a foster mom!! I think that's such a selfless act to care for other's children, to give them a home and stability- thank you for doing that!!! The karma gods should totally get that fat off of you as thanks!

I am so bummed. Mother nature was not on my side tonight. It has rained, and rained, and rained. I really shouldn't be complaining because we need the rain but I was so excited about starting today. I ended up going to the gym and doing the elliptical for 30 minutes.

I started to run on the treadmill there, but there were a lot of people there and I just didn't feel comfortable. So, I guess I will be starting tomorrow, which is okay. I guess I'll shoot for Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Renewed~ That's so strange. It seems like you shouldn't have lost muscle since you've been working out more. I dunno? I hope you find out what's going on though.

It is very confusing to me as well. I will keep watching you guys for this month and see if I do lose more by not exercising as hard. No worries - I will be back - I really want to get where I can jog with my dogs. This is a huge goal for me.

You know back when in my thin days I always eat low carb, it just my way of life (when I starting eating like my husband is when my weight piled on FAST!)....I remember when I was trying to lose weight after my 1st child, I was eating low carb & working out and it wasn't really coming off not until after I stopped working out that I started lossing it quickly...I always thought that was weird. I did however had to start running to drop the last 15 lbs...I went for 129 to 114 in less then 3 weeks.

Yeah there is alot of crazy therioes.

I train with a Triathlete USA coach and i have talked to him about this.

Basically let it go...it VERY hard to over train. Lifting weights for women is AWESOME but so many are afraid of it. YOu wont bulk up..you will lose weight quicker also.

Its almost impossble for women to bulk up lifting weights unless they are taking steroids.

But when you have 'harder, stronger' muscle it takes more cals to burn them and you lose weight faster.

I would advice lifting weights to all women.

One thing my coach said is 'it is VERY difficult to overtrain' so dont worry about it.

The only way you can tell is to take your pulse when you just wake up before you even stand then take it again when your standing. Use the diff between those 2. If the diff starts to get smaller your overtraining. Its complicated...just KEEP exercising!!!

WHEW! I am tired! I just finished my first day of C25K and all I have to say is, "Man....I am out of shape"! I knew I was out of shape but I didn't know I was THAT out of shape. I am seriously seeing spots right now.

I was a little disappointed in myself because I was only able to go for 12 minutes. Then I realized that this is the first time I have ever attempted to jog and I am really proud of myself for doing those 12 minutes. Well, 17 minutes if you count the warm up, lol.

I think I am safe in saying that I will be repeating week 1 again before moving on to week 2. Kudos to all of you that have made it as far as you have! I didn't think it would be this hard but I feel really good now that I'm done, lol. I will attempt to do this again on Thursday.

I hope everyone has a great day!