Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

So, I'm really displeased with my body. My knees have been killing me when I'm exercising. And my legs are in a seemingly constant state of soreness... Does this go away?

hey lufferly,

sorry to hear that. i'm obviously not a doctor, but speaking from experience, i would say just slow down your exercising a little until you get stronger/weight less. your knees are really important and you DONT want to screw them up, ever. if you can, i would suggest talking to a doctor or working out in front of a certified trainer/physical therapist so that they can make sure your form is best as well. as you begin to weigh less, it should get somewhat easier on the bones which makes it easier for you to run as much as you already are (which, by the way, is awesome... so good job!) when i was at my heaviest i had a problem with my feet going numb after a period of time, and i have not had that happen in months. i also used to get really sore after every workout, like i couldnt even stand up from my bed in the morning type of sore, and now, even though i am working even harder, it is only once in awhile. i love that sore feeling though... not having it means my body is working more efficiently and therefore im not burning off as much as i used to! oh well, guess i'll just have to keep working harder!

MacMadam... what's the new picture? Is that you on the finish line of your recent Tri???

That was Wildflower. I've done one since then but it was a little one. Wildflower is my accomplishment for the year (so far).

I think some walkers passed me! :tongue_smilie:

Heh, when I did my first 5K, I got beaten by a mom pushing a stroller. And a dog!

i just registered for my race on the 18th!

Congrats!

So, I'm really displeased with my body. My knees have been killing me when I'm exercising. And my legs are in a seemingly constant state of soreness... Does this go away?

Are you overtraining? It's important to have rest days because that's when you actually get your fitness gains. If you don't let your muscles repair themselves, they don't get stronger.

Hey Everyone! Its so great to read about your successes. Kee up the good work.

Jane - Thanks for the encouragement. I will try to find something that I can do until the foot heals.

Lyn - Welcome back. I'm envious, but hearing your story encourages me. I walked for 30 mins today, it was rough, the foot was very sore.

Malissa - Way to go! You're well on your way. When I started my DD could walk faster than my run, but I kept at it and it does get easier and faster! Good for you!

Kathy - Thanks for your vote of confidence. Also, congrats on the loose jeans and great job on the cake. I can't wait to hear if you win the contest for the torch. Based on what you told us, I'd say you have a great chance.

Mac - You're amazing! And still losing I see. You give me something to strive for.

Everyone else, keep on keeping on! I hope to join you soon!

** I've promised myself a very fancy treadmill if I can get this foot to heal. Trying to make sure I keep my head in the game and keep my motivation up too.

So, I think you're right. I'm overtraining. I just read the program again, and it says I'm only supposed to train 3 times a week. I've been training every day. So, I'm taking today off... hopefully I'll feel good enough to run by tomorrow, if not, then I guess 2 days off.

It makes me feel REALLY guilty when I don't run. Now that I'm in the habit, I feel like I'm cheating when I don't exercise. I don't want to get too comfortable sitting around again.

Oh yeah. I thought I'd let you all know. I joined the PPRR (Pikes Peak Road Runners.) And I have picked out about 11 races I want to run/walk by the end of the year. **I know, I'm ambitious** And there's a local group, the Jack Quinn Running Group, that I think I'm going to run with. They do a 5k every tuesday. They call it a Run / Walk / Trot / Stagger / Crawl to the finish. So everyone's welcome, and it'll get me involved with locals.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by lufferly

Lufferly... you are driven! That's for sure! This is very important advice... in learning to run and building up endourance, your body needs to rest. Without the rest it won't build the muscles and cardio endourance to keep going. So general rule for now is run every 2nd day. If you are insistant about being active on your non-run days, then I suggest strength training. Read up on it and build a good schedule. I do the following: upper body/ run/ lower body/ run/ upper body/ run/ rest/ for the week.

ok friends, i need some advice. im getting sick. hubby and daughter have been sick. son not yet, seems im next. sinus infection is my usual. im trying to fight it off. my question is: how do i keep my momentum going? if i can adequately fight it off till tomorrow, should i run or if i just feel like crap, just stay home. im really sad especially since i havent been sick since b4 the komen in january. that was b4 i started the c25k. my race is in 12 days and im trying to be in denial. never know it might work.

TC

Carol

It makes me feel REALLY guilty when I don't run. Now that I'm in the habit, I feel like I'm cheating when I don't exercise. I don't want to get too comfortable sitting around again.

That's where cross-training comes in. Do something else on the days off -- something low impact and/or that uses different muscles. Make sure you take at least 1 day off a week though!

Alright. Totally overtraining! I took the day off yesterday, and the legs felt a bit better today, but not good enough to run on... learned that the hard way. So i walked, and I'm going to start weight training tomorrow. I like Kathybad's idea. Mon-Wed-Fri I'll do weights, and Tues-Thurs-Sat I'll run, and rest on Sundays. Hopefully that'll help melt the pounds too... Still got 24 more to lose by 8/30/09! WHOO!

Ok, I tried the cake and it wasn't too bad. DD helped, so that was nice, she is much more artistic than I!

Here are some pictures, thanks for the inspiration Kathy!

5620_1081863212352_1399477438_30208318_8311584_s.jpg5620_1081863292354_1399477438_30208320_7784106_s.jpg

Kristen... the cake is beautiful!

My girlfriend has been such a great cheerleader for me throughout my weight loss and running journey. Well the other day we got together for lunch (we used to work together at another company) and she mentioned she wanted to learn to run! So last night we met and I ran with her through the C25k week 1 run! It was a definite challenge for her, but she did it. Now we're going to try to run together at least 1x/week. It felt really good to be the inpiration for positive change!

K well I overdid it a bit Saturday did a 13.5 mile hike that was marked as very strenuous. It was great beautiful and I couldn't barely walk for two days after. I am still sore. I want to wait until the soreness heals for another day or two before I pick it up again. I am going to restart at week two. I am missing the runs though even though technically I'm only running for about 10 minutes I feel very accomplished after. I think I am going to add the calinetics video after the days I run. Its very deep streches and works the muscle some as well.

Hello All,

This is my first time posting on the C5K board. I've been working out with a personal trainer since March 21, 2009 and he is such an inspiration. I started jogging on the treadmill in April and was only able to do 1 minute at a time. I followed the training program on the cool running website. Early June I told my trainer I wanted to do a series of runs in CT and the first one was a 5K on 7/4/09, I thought training on the treadmill would be enough (NOT), he instructed me to jog outside and do it at least 3 times a week. Well I completed my first 5K on the 4th, my time was 48:52, I am still on cloud nine. My trainer came out to support and ran the last mile with me backwards (LOL....showoff). It was awesome. I have another 5K this weekend on 7/11/09. This series of runs are in Westport, CT and the last one is on my birthday 9/5 with 10 miles, I hope to be able to do some of that. Thanks for all of your posts, they inspired me to take the challenge on.

osangriared: CONGRATS!!!

I just completed my 2nd 5k this week - and I improved my time!! Yeah!

7/4 1:00:06

7/8 55:22

I'm going to Michigan to see my grandparents and registered to do one up there.

Wish me luck!:confused: