Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Osangriared - congrats on completing your first 5K, it is always such a great accomplishment! Think of how far you have come! Yeah!

Well, I ran today. Did the 5K course for my triathlon that is coming up next weekend (19th) and I ran the whole course with a good push at the end for the last 1/4 mile or so toward the "finish line".

Last night I attended a class for trail running and I am starting a trail running class after the tri. It will be getting us ready for a 10K trail race in Sept. This is really good timing - I wanted to get up to the 10K distance and was going to start working on it this fall, so I guess I will start early! My DH is doing the 1/2 marathon distance, so we will be running some of the same trails, he will just go longer. Should be fun!

Hope everyone had a great weekend and gets in some good runs!

Osangriared - Welcome, and congrats on the 5k!

Malissa - you're doing great!

Krtork - good luck on your Tri next week! The trail run sounds great.

I started running with my friend. She's on week 1 of C25k, and will move up on the next run. The route we run is about 3.6k and goes by both of our houses. So on Thur I ran the route to her house, we then did the C25k run, then I finished the route again, so I did a total of 7.2k. It was hot and buggy, so I felt all iky afterwards, but happy with the accomplishment.

I am achy now though. In my joints and bones. I don't think my body can take too much distance, probably my arthritis. 5 - 6k is fine, but when I go farther, I really pay for it. I do want to run a 10k at least once, but I think I'll be happy with 5k distance.

Kathy~ Is the pain from the distance or just running on the hard surface? Have you tried running on a softer surface at a longer distance to see if it makes a difference? I am sure you have thought of this before, but just thought I would ask:)

I like the 5K distance too. I am always needing another challenge and I thought to myself, "self, you can go 10K it is not that much farther". I don't know why I do that! LOL! I was planning on working toward it this winter, thinking it would be good motivation for a spring run, but no. I went to the trail running intro class with DH as support and ended up signing up for the program. LOL!

No I haven't thought of the soft vs. hard surface thing! I always run on ashphalt or concreat and sometimes on my treadmill. I do like the treadmill cause we have a shock absorbing one, and it is much better on me, but I hate the boardom!!!

What would you suggest for a soft surface? Trails, grass???

I'm going to run on the treadmill tonight as its too humid!

-So... here's an update. I haven't been able to run since last week because it's hurt my knee so bad.

-I bartended a party tonight, and there was an E.R. doc as a guest, so I asked if he could check out my knee.

-He said i pulled my ligaments because I have flat feet that pull too hard on them.

-He said that I'm out of commision (as far as running goes) for 3-6 weeks.

-I'm REALLY sad because now I'll have to push back my training that much.

-I was really loving being able to move...

-Now i'm getting really discouraged because the scale doesn't seem to be moving enough for the work that I was doing, and now that I can't to treadmil work, I feel totally unmotivated, and have cheated for the past couple days...

-I need help to get back on track... :frown:

-I'm very disappointed for letting myself get so discouraged so quickly.....

Kathy~ I would try trails or packed dirt roads, they seem to be easy to run on. Not sure about where you live, but we can get a decent length workout on dirt roads pretty easily. I have found that I am a little slower when I am "off road", but it is easy on the knees and joints. My DH trys to get all of his longer runs (10-15 miles) on packed dirt, he just feels better when he is done.

Lufferly~ Could you do some Water workouts? I know when I strained my low back I was able to get back in the water earlier than back on the road. You might check with your doctor and see what he/she says.

Have you been fit for a shoe? If not, you might want to go to a running store and have your feet analyzed and the right type of shoe recommended for your foot type.

Be tough in this down time, I know how hard it can be. I remember feeling frustrated and wanting to get back on the road again. You may very will lose your motivation over the next few weeks. Try to find some alternative form of exercise so you can keep moving - it will make you feel better!

Kristen... thanks for the suggestion, I'll look around the area for a dirt road. We live on the edge of the city, so there's probably a few roads close by.

Luferly... I agree with Kristen. When you go back to running, get fitted for the right shoes. This is really essential to your running health. I tore several ligaments in my left knee a few months before I got banded 2 years ago. It took quite awhile for me to get back to being active, and the Ortho doc told me I would likely have limited ability in that knee. Of course I was 100+ lbs heavier at the time.

When I started running I was really scared I would re-activate this injury plus I have arthritis in both knees and hips, so I probably shouldn't have started running by any conventional Dr's opinion. I made sure I had good shoes to start with. I wore walking shoes, but they had been fitted to my foot type, so I knew they would be good. Plus, my speed wasn't much more than a walk anyway. LOL!

Another suggestion... go for physiotherapy. They will really get your knee back in shape. It certainly helped me.

Thanks Malissa,

I completed my second 5K on 40:22, took 8 minutes off my time (can't believe it). My next run is 3.8 miles on 7/18/09. Good luck on your upcoming run.

I just finished a 7k run, 3k was week 2 of c25k with my friend and the rest was just me running. I feel really good. No aches in my joints tonight.

I bought a new pair of jeans tonight... size 14!

Thanks Malissa,

I completed my second 5K on 40:22, took 8 minutes off my time (can't believe it). My next run is 3.8 miles on 7/18/09. Good luck on your upcoming run.

8 minutes off your time! WOW! WTG! You must feel great about that. :thumbdown:

Thanks everyone for welcoming me...you guys are such an inspiration.

Kathybad - 7K OMG, I'm hoping to get there soon...congratulations.

Krtork - I might have been nervous on the first 5K, I'm thinking that's why my time was better on the second one, I'm still happy with that time.

I've been working with my trainer twice a week, and following the WW plan for points...incorporating for the last month now at least jogging 3x's a week, however my weight/inches has not changed in 4 weeks....shouldn't the scale be moving?

wow, it feels like forever since i posted here. with my new job ive had less access to this forum during the day and nite time has just been crunched.

ive also had some probs with my band lately too. ive been getting stuck a bit. and not just sliming and pbing, but lots of pain with it. i think i caught it in time and went on to mushies today. that i can handle just fine so it makes me think im not slipped again. whew.

Monday nite, i did a practice run at the park where saturday's 5k will be. i had been stuck most of the day, but wanted to give it a try. did ok. not phenomenal but ok. ran most of it. im hoping to keep it together the rest of the week so i dont get stuck again b4 the race. i am committed to running the whle thing even if it means doing slider foods that fill me up without getting stuck. i dont even mind if i gain a few lbs due to the sliders. i know that sounds weird, but after the race, i will concentrate on the wt loss and fitness combined.

another goal in addition to the wt loss and running on a regular basis, after my race on saturday, im gonna start working on strength training. i havent b4 now since i wanted to get to the point where i feel succesful with the running. "one step at a time." y'know? literally and figuratively.

will let y'all know how things turn out after sat nite since the race is at 7 pm. i know most of the foods i need to stay away from on race day like caffiene and dairy, but i'd appreciate any suggestions on what i SHOULD have considering my band issues and the fact that i'll have almost a full day of eating to get in b4 the race.

tc and thanks,

Carol

I never heard of staying away from caffiene. Why is that? A lady here at my work used to be a personal trainer, she told me to take excedrine before my race and it would give me energy without making me have to go the bathroom the way coffee would. I tried it and it really worked! Of course I don't normally drink caffiene so I am sensitive to it.

I have my last PT tonight before going to see my podiatrist tomorrow. He's going to decide if I need further surgery. I'm not sure what to think. PT is helping and I can pretty much walk without a limp now, but only in running shoes. I can almost do a two or three step jog, but with pain.

My biggest fear is getting caught in the middle....good enough to walk, not good enough to run and unsure whether to have more surgery.

I'll keep you posted. Keep your finger's crossed.

Carol, good luck on your race.

Kathy, when do we get to hear about the torch?

VERRRRRY pretty new pic Suzanne! and thanks for the good luck!

this is what im told about caffiene - coffee specifically. coffee is a heat producing food. extra heat in hot weather is not good. also caffiene in general is supposed to dehydrate. ive heard that since the first time i went to wt watchers many, many moons ago.

here's a copy/paste a friend emailed me when i griped about running in the 91 degree heat here last week: Coffee, red meats, processed grains, dairy. They tend to produce more heat during digestion than other foods. Likewise, some foods are cooling. Shellfish, for instance.

he and his wife are into whollistic stuff. she is a accupuncturist and studying to be a naturopath and he is a massage therapist with a lot of studying in macrobiotics.

if i get a headache, though i may have a little coffee if necessary.

tc,

carol

Edited by slinky
forgot something

I just dowloaded an awesome couch 2 5k app on my iphone that charts your days on the screen. It also allows you to listen to your own music and interrupts with verbal cues.