Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I did great today... it felt good. I did 3mph for my walk and 5mph for my jog, but i felt like I could go just a bit faster, so tomorrow, I might try for 3.2 and 5.2. We'll see :P

thats awesome lufferly! and you can TOTALLY do it! whenever i kick up the speed a notch and i feel like i just cant go any farther, i just change my music to some song where they're singing about some hot girl... and then pretend they are singing about me -- or, at least, what i COULD be if i finished one more lap! usually gets me a few more minutes running when otherwise i probably would have slowed down to a fast walk. i dont know if it will work for you... but find something that motivates you or distracts you while you are jogging and you will forget how tired you are until... eventually (hopefully).. you start to think you could go on forever!

also, kathy you reminded me with your post. im sure some of you have heard of HIIT training... a lot of big tough body builders do it at my gym for their cardio, but its something you guys may want to try once in awhile too (maybe you'll like it! and it is the BEST for maximum fat loss and getting the most out of your workouts) you can google it (I found this: HIIT: Supercharge your Fitness and Fat Loss), but basically its like EXTREME interval training. just run at like... COMPLETELY full speed, like your legs are about to fall off-- think biggest loser where they have the contestants run at 10mph for 30 seconds and they fall off the treadmill -- you look absolutely crazy at the gym doing it, but the only people that think you look weird are the people who are reading a magazine or talking on the phone on the treadmill anyways.... not even getting in a good workout. why would i want to do that? seems like a waste of my precious time now that i know what my body is capable of, and i want to push myself to the absolute LIMIT! i dont want to be on the treadmill for an hour to get a workout i could do in five minutes! ive found this type of hardcore interval training has helped to bump up my speed overall too. i know im still relatively new at this running thing, but hopefully this helps someone who is even newer or who is in a rut and wants to try something new...

Carol - Thanks for thinking of me. You should be really proud of yourself! You've stuck to your program and are making excellent progress! I'm so miserable with this bum foot. I'll find out on the 17th if I'm going to require more surgery. If I do, it'll be 6 months from now! I never thought I'd see the day, but I'm dying not being able to run or exericise. I desperately want to get back on the treadmill. I start physical therapy next week, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Kathy - OMG that is so amazing. I so hope you get to carry the torch. And if you do, think of us and you can carry it for all of us here on LBT!!! I'd love to read your essay. You willing to share?

I miss you guys. I'm feeling like a marshmallow, feels very much like my fat days and I'm losing my confidence that running had given me. Really hoping for a miracle with the foot....

Wow, what a difference only .2 mph makes! I thought i was going to die today!:P

Lufferly... good for you.. keep pushing yourself and progressing.

Jane... you're such a dedicated fitness person! I love your posts.

Suzanne... hang in there, you'll be back at it soon enough. I'm glad you continue to post all the time... keeps me thinking you're going to bounce back right away! Sorry, I can't share the essay yet. If I don't win, I'll share it when I find out. But if I win, I'll have to wait until I'm allowed. It cannot be published in any form... thread, blog or anything.

I wrote about always being morbidly obese, and how I finally chose to be healthy. How I started with healthy eating and Portion Control. Then added running. That I ran my first 5k last Sept and now am training for a 10k (October). I also mentioned how I joined an online support group and how I hope to inspire and motivate people, and finally how much weight I've lost and how it will help me be a better parent for my 2 special needs kids. All of that in 220 words! It was fun... and I hope it will sway the judges to choose me!

I ran again today, outside. I went 5.34k and beat my DH!!! We create these challenges for each other on Nike+, so the July Challenge started today and I beat him on our first run! Yeah... I'm competitive. The run was great... oh and Jane... it said I did 5k in 35:44.... Yeah baby!

BTW, its Canada Day today, our nations birthday. We had a really nice family day today and if the rain holds off we get fireworks tonight.

woohoooo kathy thats awesome-- both for beating your DH and for your running time! i know you worked hard to get that 35:44! i wish i had a running partner to challenge me in real life! (oh and happy canada day!)

and thanks for saying i am dedicated.... i'm leaving tomorrow for a trip to NY and dont know how i am going to get in any exercise.. its so much harder when you are away from home! im thinking i am going to try to convince my friend to run with me because i want to give the 5k a go in central park, but i might have some trouble getting her to go with me... shes definitely skinny, but not athletic! haha but i am sooo dreading not working out for possibly 4-5 days straight... its funny how addicted i have become the past few months!

suzanne- so sorry about your foot. let it heal and hopefully it will not need surgery.. but if you do, make sure you get plenty of rest. besides, if you are feeling extra marshmallow-ey (? haha) you'll still be able to do upper body workouts right? i bet there are plenty of fun classes or DVDs you can do that are core workouts for your middle and arm workouts.

lufferly-- don't die! haha but doesnt it feel AWESOME when you are done from a workout when you feel like your heart is going to jump out of your chest?? and that also means you got a LOT out of your run so good for you! pretty soon that speed will be easy for you and you will be ready to kick it up another .2 :redface:

That is really exciting Kathy! How soon before the results are published?

How do you deal with pain in your shins? Its not bad yet just kind of a dull ache but I would like to do something to prevent shin splints?

Minzx... for shin splits you should make sure you stretch really really well. I looked up the proper stretches that you should do. There are 3, see them below. Also, make sure you have good running shoes that fit your running style. This could be causing the strain.

Calf Stretch

Because the calf muscle has a direct role with the shin area, you'll need to focus on making sure this muscle is not tight or tense.

To start this exercise, simply find a staircase or step that you can stand on. Once there, place feet so heels are hanging off the edge of it and slowly allow the body weight to bring the heels down below step level.

Hold this position for at least twenty seconds, then come up and repeat again after a short break.

Standing Anterior Tibialis Shin Splints Stretch

For this exercise, you'll want to stand somewhere nearby a handrail for balance. Once you've found your balance, then you should place the foot you're looking to stretch behind the other foot, keeping the toe of the stretching foot rested on the ground.

Once you're comfortable with this position, then you are to slowly bring the stretching leg forwards until you feel a good pull on the lower leg muscle. Note that while doing this you may want to bend both of your knees slightly to make it easier to execute the movement.

After you're finished with that leg, switch legs and repeat.

Sitting Shin Splints Stretch

Finally, the last stretch exercise you should perform is one where you are sitting and place both legs directly behind your chair as far as they can go.

Try and place the feet so that the front of the foot is touching the floor, toes pointed. This should have you feeling a good, deep stretch right in the front of the shin bone, effectively targeting the muscles that are involved with shin splints.

minxz - it took me a while but i finally found the exercise that saved my shins. i started getting shin splints when i began walking not even running. when i researched stretches for running and preventing shin splints, a lot of the exercises just felt like they were ineffective for me. I found this picture (scroll down to the pictures) and its helped me a lot. the only difference is that i do the third position sitting in a straight-backed chair, and my legs at 90 degree angles. hope this helps. let me know if it does.

tc

carol

About.com: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/deb_june2000.html

Woo Hoo. i just read Kathy's post, and it gives a great description of the one i do. its the same as the one in the 3rd pic.

Edited by slinky
new info to add

Thank you Kathy and Slinky I think that is the exact area that needs to be stretched I was getting the side and back of the calf with my stretching but couldn't figure out how to get the front area!

I really want to do this! I have been thinking about it since before my surgery. I am not even 2 weeks post op but feeling great! I think I am going to wait one more week and then give the program a try!

Breanne... Welcome and congrats on your banding. Best choice I ever made! Just make sure you are all healed up before starting. I'd suggest clearing it with your surgeon first. Running is such a great activity, and if you're like me, it becomes addicting. Funny, I hated running when I was younger, but by following the C25k program, I now love it.

I'm on vacation this week with my DS. School just ended for him last week, but I don't like to start him in day camps right away, kind of needs a break from routine. It's also his birthday tomorrow and it was our holiday yesterday, so camp didn't make sense this week. So its been fun hanging out with him. I think today we'll go see a movie and tomorrow the whole family is off to the Toronto Zoo... great zoo! I just wish the weather would cooperate... raining!

Kathy, I hope they pick you to carry the torch. That'd be awesome!

Man, this running thing doesn't feel like it's getting any easier. It does when I first start... then by my 4th jogging/running interval, I feel like I'm ready to quit... I don't, but I sure feel like it. It doesn't feel like I'll be ready to do the next set by wednesday... When does it get easier? Lol.:eek:

Starting today! My goal is to run a 5k by my birthday... exactly 2 months from today. :eek: Wish me luck.

Luck! :smile2:

I enterred a contest with Coke to carry the torch as it passes through my city.

That's terrific. I hope you win!

Man, this running thing doesn't feel like it's getting any easier. It does when I first start... then by my 4th jogging/running interval, I feel like I'm ready to quit... I don't, but I sure feel like it. It doesn't feel like I'll be ready to do the next set by wednesday... When does it get easier? Lol.:blink:

Something to keep in mind....

The first 10 min. or so of exercise, your body's oxygen needs to up immediately, but you aren't burning ATP fuel yet. That doesn't happen until about 10 min. out. So the first 10 min. often feel like you are going to die. Then it gets better.

Man, this running thing doesn't feel like it's getting any easier. It does when I first start... then by my 4th jogging/running interval, I feel like I'm ready to quit... I don't, but I sure feel like it. It doesn't feel like I'll be ready to do the next set by wednesday... When does it get easier? Lol.:eek:

I remember struggling through weeks 1-5 and then got stuck for about 4 weeks at week 5 cause I couldn't do 20 min straight. Once I started running outside and not on the treadmill I got over my block and started to progress quickly. I honestly don't remember when it got easier, but it wasn't for quite awhile... maybe once I was running about 25-30 min straight. Then it was a real joy. Don't get me wrong, I really loved how the running made me feel, but afterwards, not during. Now I love how I feel during and after (most days!) Hang in there and keep going. You'll get there, and when you do... enjoy it!

Today is my DS birthday! He turns 11. Hard to believe it! So we've celebrated all day... and yes, I'm enjoying his cake tonight without any guilt! I'll just run a bit longer!