Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

It looks like we are really revving up here!!! Great!

FeliciaLevy75---ya---I know what you mean. It really is hard to stay at low a very very low carb. Atkins doesn't recommend staying at 20g for exactly this reason but I guess we tackle it becasue we want to get it off ASAP. Hopefully our bands will help us maintain the loss this time so we don't have to stay so low ever again.

mamato3---thanks but I have been at low carb for a LOONNGG time.

Atkins wrote his first book in 1981 and I found a copy of the grapefruit diet which he based his work on in 1971!! So my first 20 extra lbs came off that way. I was only 20 years old -- sigh---oooo where DOES the time go??!!! I was pretty darn CUTE --if I do say so myself---for about 6 or 7 years before my late night partying came back with a vengeance! Every few years for the last 36 years I have low carbed and then put it all back on -- and then some until I reached 100lbs overweight!

I agree with everyone here that -low carb rocks--but until the band -- I kept falling off the wagon. It always began again with bread! As soon as the carbs got a hold of me through bread --I'd be into chips, potato, pasta---then onto sweets. Now I'm hoping the band will keep me off--or limit --the bread and other crap.

I'm also a researcher and have studied the low-carb research EXTENSIVELY. Believe me--it is poised to really revolutionize nutrition and health care interventions.

So here's my report today -- a little higher on the Protein than I'd like. I'll try to do better tomorrow.

Atkins shake

2 chicken wings with spaghetti sauce 10 10almonds

1 zesty pickle spear

2 coffees

Pork tenderloin, cauliflower, pork broth

cheese stick

Guacamole and Pork rinds

carbs 17, protein 76, calories 1074

Glad you're feeling better, renewedhope. I know how hard it is to get back on the wagon after "falling off." And to "fall off" because of being so sick, totally not fun. :biggrin: You'll get there.

Rugman, thanks for the great post.

I'm really looking forward to joining you all once I get back onto food. I'm a little worried because I seem to really be struggling with milk now. I'm guess that is going to count out cheese for me when I get back onto food. I hope that part gets better.

pinktweety - I had alot of trouble at first with Constipation. I'm guessing that is probably common. I started using Miralax every other day and everything is great now.

SkinnieMinnie - I just adore your name! Too cute.

Hey Mamato3...love the new picture. You look great with those 65lbs gone. I can't believe the difference. Pictures make a great big difference so that we can see the results.

Renewedhope...glad you are feeling better. Here is to Moderate Ketosis by Friday...I am with you.

Tried to stay low carb today...

B: 2 eggs scrambled with 1 tbsp of light cream and 2 pieces of bacon

S: Ice coffee with light cream & 3 Splenda

L: 1/2 cup of chicken salad (chicken, celery & mayo) PB'd that up..

S: almonds, swiss cheese and pepperoni

D: Chipolte peanuts and way to many to count...was at my son's baseball game was eating my nerves away....he won by the way.

S: SF Raspberry Jello and whip cream (made with heavy cream/splenda/vanilla).

I did 1 hour of Water aerobics at the "Y" and went in my pool today and taught my mom some water aerobics moves. We had a good laugh.

I drank only 32 ozs of water and am going to try for another 16 tonight.

Have a great night everyone!

Cindy

grrrrrrr...I have not been hungry or had cravings since I started low carbing it 3 weeks ago until yesterday. I seriously could have ate everything in sight...but I didn't! I resisted! Even last night my family ordered pizza and as good as it smelled I had a chicken breast! I was so proud of myself...so whats my reward for resisting temptation...

A gain of one flippin pound!!! What is up with that??? I know, our weight changes all the time (especially if there is pms involved--which could be I got deppo shot 3 months ago and i have had no visit from Aunt Flo since the shot until a couple of days ago when her dog "Spots" came to visit--haha) So anyway, I am not going to get too down about it...but I am NOT changing my ticker to gain a pound either....so there!:) I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, but its an obsession and it really keeps me on track.

Still in moderate ketosis...

I don't change my ticker either Bonnie. I refuse to go backwards. I just stay put until my weight catches up!! Way to go on managing those cravings!!!!

Bonnie and Renewed --- I thought I was the only one. My ticker is also one directional! :biggrin2:

Monday:

B: Slimfast Low Carb

S: String cheese and 2 deviled eggs

L: 1 cup of 7 layer salad (lettuce, Tomato, broccoli, onion, bacon, cheese, mayo/splenda dressing) and chicken breast.

S: SF Jello

D: Cheeseburger Patty, Broccoli

I haven't gotten on the scale in two days. I'm too scared...I'm feeling a little bloated (maybe from Constipation? ). I need to get things moving.

Made a great chicken dish last night and thought I would share.

• 3-4oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, butterflied a bit (one per serving you want to make)
  • 2/3 oz lowfat mozzerella cheese (2/3 of a string cheese works great)
  • 1c spinach, raw (per serving you want to make)
  • 1/2c - 1c favorite Pasta Sauce (depending on size of baking dish and servings being made)

Pour Pasta sauce into a baking dish, just to cover the bottom and give moisture to the dish.

Stuff chicken with spinach and cheese. Use skewers or kitchen string to hold together.

Place chicken on sauce in the dish. Don't stack.

Cover dish with foil and bake at 325 until chicken is cooked (I think it took me about 30-40 mins for 3 breasts, just check it once in a while).

Remove chicken from dish, remove skewers or string, and serve.

If you want to add some of the sauce to the chicken, you can. I just had it in there for flavor and moisture.

When I added it all up, including more sauce than was on the chicken (call it osmosis, I wanted to be safe on my carb count).... only about 200 calories, 3-5 g fat, and 8 carbs.

AND it tasted good! I brought some to work for lunch and dinner, and can easily keep everything below 20 today!!

Very excited!

Annika---

Are the slimfast shakes a regular part of your diet? I have been drinking EAS or Atkins, but the store was out of both so I picked up some slimfast shakes. I noticed that I drink them a lot faster (they arent as thick as the others) and they tasted sweeter (which I wasn't crazy about after getting all the sugar out of my system) and it seemed that I was hungry quicker after drinking them. How do you feel after drinking them? Have you tried other brands?

Anyone else drinking low carb shakes?

My ticker is also one directional! :biggrin2:

Same here! :thumbup:

Made a great chicken dish last night and thought I would share.

Sounds good! Plan on trying it tonight (minus the spinach tho :biggrin:) Thanks for sharing!

I drink the Atkins shakes ... one for Breakfast most mornings and occasionally another as a snack later in the day.

I agree that "low-carb" is is great for many reasons and has great advantages...not only for banders, but for people with diabetes and for overall energy....when you eat too many starches, I feel it weighs you down, even if it's a healthy starch i.e. corn, potatoes....So, I was wondering is it really the way to go if you need to lose weight?

I was banded October 2007 and have lost 80lb and since gained 13...and recently lost 3 of the 10lb....and I've only been filled to 1.6cc from a 4cc band....and I won't be getting my fill until August....so, I was wondering in between fills, would the "low-carb" way be a good way to lose?

works for me!! Congrats on the weight loss. That is wonderful. I do best on low carb!! It is hard to stick with long term, but I am convinced it is the best way to lose weight!!

Momto3 your pictures are outstanding. You look fabulous.

Bonnie you are my hero

Renewedhope you are always right on target.

What would i do without my daily dose of all of you

My ticker only goes one diection as well.

Annika---

Are the slimfast shakes a regular part of your diet? I have been drinking EAS or Atkins, but the store was out of both so I picked up some slimfast shakes. I noticed that I drink them a lot faster (they arent as thick as the others) and they tasted sweeter (which I wasn't crazy about after getting all the sugar out of my system) and it seemed that I was hungry quicker after drinking them. How do you feel after drinking them? Have you tried other brands?

Bonnie, I do drink Slim Fast low carb shakes regularly. The first time I tried them, I found them much sweeter than I expected. Now, I have them just about every morning for breakfast on the go. I bought EAS (I think that was the brand, silver drink box?). I tried one and didn't care for it at all. It tasted like chocolate Water. It was definitely quitethin compared to the Slim Fast. Maybe I didn't shake it or something. If we are talking about the same shakes, are they supposed to be thicker?

If so, I'll try EAS, again or maybe Atkins. I'm down to my last Slim Fast, anyway. I guess I'll go for a taste test.

Greetings all,

New to LBT, and this forum. 14 days post surgery, with total loss in last 28 days of 30 lbs. I've had past successes with Atkins for weight loss, but not maintenance. Looking to the band for that help! Hoping my RN and MD don't freak out too badly when they find I've planned to go to Atkins all along. Keep up the great work and great posts. BTW, I'm 40 with a supportive Wife & family. I'm male -- which helps with metabolism -- but I leave it to the audience to decide if i'm a boy or a man.

Edited by razor1701
didn't like it