Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

I am happy to say that I stayed on plan yesterday! Actually I wasn't tempted one single time! I'll let you in on a little secret....I am the cook of the family. The queen of mac and cheese, potato salad, and all the other holiday faves. So, if i don't cook it, no one eats it! Thank God we didn't have a big family reunion type of thing. I would have eaten like a pot bellied pig!

Come to think of it, though...when I made a run to the grocery store, I saw a table full of layered strawberry short cakes in front of the bakery. I ate an entire cake a few months ago and it was divine. I did circle the table a few times, talking to myself or maybe I was talking to the cake. It was a pretty sad sight! Thank God there were no free samples, because it would have be ON!!

So, I can only pat myself on the back for not cooking or buying the things we didn't need to eat, because I know that if they had been prepared by someone else, I would not have stayed on plan!:tt2:

Im still in chicago but I thought I would check in and let you know about my diet in the Windy City. For the most part I was able to low carb it for the last 2 days. On Thurs I did have one slice of Chicago style pizza but I didn't eat the outside crust (I did eat the underneath crust though) That was the only carbs I had on Thursday. Friday I did great for all 3 meals until we ordered the volcano bday cake for my son at the rainforest cafe. I had one skinny small piece of choc cake and 1/4 cup (maybe even smaller) of vanilla ice cream. That was my first REAL sugar in 3 weeks. I got on the scales this morning and I was up half a pound!!! I wasn't beating myself up too much. I just kept thinking about how much I WOULD have eaten a month ago before low-carb diet. I think I did pretty well.

Now we are going to a place called Ed DeBevicks for lunch today. This has me worried. I was the one who talked my family into it because of the atmosphere. If you are ever in Chicago you have to go there. Its a 50's themed greasy spoon restaurant where the employees dress up as 50's stars or in clothing from that era. There is graffitti all over the walls (atleast thats what it looked like when I went there 15 years ago) and the staff is really off the wall rude in a fun way. If you don't know that before you get there, you could easily get offended. They have no problem pointing out mullets over the intercom and calling you out in front of everyone. They also give out prizes for having certain things in your purse or wallet. A lot of loud music and attitude. I love it! Im taking my kids (ages 7 and 12) and my hubby (who is from Brooklyn, NY) and says that he can out rude any waiter from chicago...his sarcasm is hillarious. We will have a great time! I just wonder what I will eat when I get there!?!? Maybe a burger with no bun? We will see!

MSnika3--I'm impressed! To stay on plan on the 4th is a real accomplishment. Thanks for the feedback on my food suggestions. Another thing I have recently discovered is putting about a tablespoon of sugar-free preserves or jam into cottage cheese for Breakfast or lunch. They make peach, blueberry, strawberry, rasberry, and cherry. I also eat smoked salmon or chicken salad for lunch. I put celery, a little blanched almond and just a few raisins or dried cranberry into the salad. Gives it a great flavor. Some people put a little chopped apple in instead of the dried raisins. You can also make up a tuna, salmon, chicken salad and use celery sticks to scoop for lunch. Some people like celery stuffed with sardines or anchovie. If you’re in a hurry for dinner grab some stuffed pepper or those hamburgers they make up at the deli that have either bacon and cheese or portobello mushroom burgers that a lot of supermarkets have made up in the deli. Just make sure they aren’t adding bread filling to any of it. If you get into a situation where you really just feel like if you don’t get a little carb or “treat” in --- try splurging by adding some frozen petite peas (fewer carbs) to your meal as a starch instead of breaking down and eating potato or rice. If you are cooking for the family and really need to make a Pasta salad or make a hot Pasta dish – use Dreamsfield pasta. They will NOT be able to tell the difference and you can eat some too. Just make SURE you don’t cook it beyond the box directions or it will breakdown into more than 5 net carbs. Diabetics are finding that it really does not raise their blood sugar. If you are trying to strict Atkins induction level, don’t use it but it’s much better than falling off the low carb wagon. Try not to eat it more than once a week. The same thing with bread. If you just have to have a sandwich use Joseph’s whole wheat pita (5 net carbs). You can also cut it into wedges and bake it to make pita chips. Again – be careful with it because it’s still bread.

I have learned and read a LOT about low carbing over the many years including the medical reasons and benefits of it. I know that it works well for me and I know that newly developed (500 years) foods raise Cain with my genetic make-up. I lose weight, get better blood readings, and feel much better when I stay away from all those carbs. My downfall has always been when I get hooked back in to the sugars/carbs. I just pack the weight right back on. The band has made a huge diff and I find I can stay on healthy food much easier.

I actually stayed on plan yesterday, but don't be too impressed. I have a horrible stomach bug and the thought of any food makes my stomach sick. Yuck!! It will probably be only liquids for me today. I feel really yucky.

I hope you feel better. Yikes!

Today I stayed on plan all day but I was up 4lbs from yesterday. How can you gain 4lbs in one day...I don't get it. I am thinking it will be gone in a few days but dang it...I hate that.

B: Low Carb Slim Fast Shake-eating on the run this morning.

L: 1 cup of chicken salad made with Helman's & celery. 1/2 cup of Spinach Dip (sour cream, spinach, Water chestnuts, mayo & Knorr's Vegetable Soup mix).

S: 24 Almonds

D: 1/2 cup of taco meat, 1 cup of shredded lettuce, 1/4 cup of tomatoes, 1/4 cup of cukes, 3 tbps of salsa, 2 tbsp of sour cream & 1/2 cheddar cheese

S: Atkins Crustless Cheesecake

Water about 48 oz. today...can't seem to get to 64oz. No exercise had to work all day.

Have a good evening everyone.

Cindy

Wow, Rugman, thanks again for the ideas and suggestions. Printing once again! ;-)

Holly -- I believe the 4lbs overnight is just Water weight, or rather glycogen (I think). The first few days of cutting carbs, that's what you lose. First day or so adding them, that's what you gain. I hope my memory served me correctly. If not, well, I tried! :thumbup: Anyone?

Thanks Msnika...I think that I will be down at least 2 of the 4 tomorrow but I hate that one day can really affect you so much.

I stayed on plan today. How about you all?

B: 2 eggs and 2 slices of bacon

S: Ice coffee with cream & 3 splenda

L: Taco meat and tossed salad and cheddar cheese

S: 24 almonds

D: Taco meat, tossed salad & cheddar cheese

S: Atkins Crustless Cheesecake (later)

92 Protein/33 Carbs

I have already had 32oz of Water and working on the next 16...

Hey guys!! I am really struggling here. I had a horrible stomach virus over the weekend. I ended up on just liquids most of Saturdaya dn Sunday. Without being to gross lets just say I had LOTS of diarrhea!! I drank lots of fluids so not to become dehydrated. Most were low in sugar, but I did drink a few lemon slushes from Sonic. I felt sure my scales would be down this morning, but no... I gained 4 pounds over the weekend. YUCK!! I am feeling better and have only had Protein today. No carbs at all, but after those slushes I am definately craving carbs again. I feel like I am starting all over, but I really felt like I needed the calories this weekend. I was beginning to feel pretty weak.

Anyway, that's my whine, and yes, I'm having cheese with it! LOL

I'm getting on the treadmill now. Gotta get back at it!!

Well that just bites! If there is one thing you can hope for with diarrhea, it is that you will lose a few pounds!

Don't worry - you will get back in the groove. I just started today and in a farewell to carbs I managed to gain 3 pounds this weekend. Ugh!

Are you guys counting calories, fat or anything else besides carbs? Just curious.

I haven't been doing as perfectly as I'd like to. I cave in to an occasional food choice that isn't so low carb. But the scale is still treating me fairly ok. I am down 2 pounds for the week.

Renewedhope... sorry you were feeling so bad over the weekend. Glad you are doing better.

Rugman - you are the bomb at this low carb thing! You give some awesome pointers.

Bonnie - wow you are my idol. I could never do that in Chicago. MMM I love the food in Chicago. Italian style beef, chicago hot dogs and the pizza!

Holly - good job getting back at it!

Rugman, thank you for taking the time to post for me. I admit, I know better, I know mostly what works and what doesn't; it's pretty basic overall. But, as I said before, just when I think I have a grasp... bam! 80-120g carbs in one day. I can't seem to break it.

I thought did OK over the holiday weekend, especially on a mini vacation... but really, it just OK. What did me in was not so much the food, but the Sangria by the pool. Ugh, as often as I tell people, "If you know it's bad, don't do it," I was doing the same damn thing.

THUR, 73 carbs: Hopped off the plane and went out to Chili's with my friends in Phoenix. Had the Guiltless Grill Salmon (about a quarter of the actual fish portion) plus half of the steamed broccoli with a touch of parmesan and half the black Beans.

FRI, 152 carbs: Seared tuna and squid for lunch, no sauces. Veal and prosciutto wraps with spinach and mozzerella and a touch of marsala sauce. Roasted veggies. KILLER - Sangria and mixed fruit dipped in Cool Whip, being fed by whomever was holding the bowl. LOL Fun, but a low-carb assassin.

SAT, 83 carbs: Dannon 0%plus yogurt. dinner out to Olive Garden and half an order of the Apricot chicken. Even the name is carb-heavy. TDP shows 0 carbs, but I know that's not right; there has to be something from the apricot sauce, even if I ate very little of it. Oh, and more Sangria as we talked into the night.

SUN, 72 carbs: Much better, or so I thought. Dannon 0%plus yogurt for B and L. dinner was baked chicken with a canned Pasta sauce and spinach salad and lowfat, low sugar dressing.

Maybe you don't want or need to see all that, but I use that and go back to compare, thinking I am usually so good, and then see that I am averaging 85 carbs a day for the past 30 days. Ugh! Frustrating.

So, I have printed an Induction Phase list from Atkins.com and intend to use that when I go shopping tonight. I know that the yogurt is a lot and that I will have to find something else. I am also a big fan of fresh fruit. What do people do instead? The alcohol is a problem for carbs, yes, but not to cut out; that's easy because I don't regularly have it.

I am really concerned about Calcium, D, and K; I don't metabolize most supplements very well and I do not like milk. Hence, my yogurt fascination. I would appreciate ideas there.

Another somewhat difficult part for me is that I am also a low saturated fat person; I don't eat much cheese, bacon, beef, etc. and instead focus on fish, chicken, and some leaner game when the mood strikes.

Maybe this should have been a PM. Sorry for the length. I want to do this, and I appreciate your input. Thanks, again, all of you.

Edited by FeliciaLevy75
punctuation

Well, I have not done so well the second part of today sticking with low carb. It is so hard to get back on once you are off.

OK, this worked well for me last time. Anyone want to join me???

MODERATE KETOSIS BY FRIDAY MORNING OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!

We can do it ladies!! Let's all get back on track together!!! Of course those of you who are doing soooo awesome (Bonnie, Rugman and Hollie) just cheer us on!!!!

My ketone stick has yet to show me in "moderate" ketosis.... but I am up for the challenge! Let's do it!

Today is my 6 month anniversary since surgery. 6 months out, 65 pounds lost. What a wonderful feeling! I posted a picture taken today along with my before picture in an album if anyone wants to see!

Mamato, You look great!! That's over 10 pounds a month!! You should be sooo very proud of yourself!!

Low carb works so well for me, but getting back on ship after falling off is soo hard. Let's do this!!