Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want My Band Removed Now!!!!!

you know, i guess i am just a little more optimistic when i read responses. sure, there are a few responses here that read with a bit of a sharp tongue, but overall, i read support and encouragement...i don't think the majority of responders are trying to make her keep the band, nor do i think anyone wants her to get rid of it. we all just want her to think it through and do what is right for herself!

Yaz:

if getting the band was wrong for you, and you did not foresee that, even gained weight to GET the band, then perhaps your ability to think things through is a little uninspired. the important thing here is that you ARE in the predicament that you are in...and you cannot change that right now. find a way to deal with the hand you have dealt yourself, and consider your option to remove...while keeping our words in mind. i don't think anyone here will judge you in your final decision, however, i cringe at the thought of you possibly making another wrong decision for yourself.

the band can be a great ally...don't cheat yourself of that because you miss your favorite foods already. i am 2 years in and i have not had to completely give up any of my favorite foods! those first few weeks are rough. i wish i could bottle up some strenghth to send to you, just to help you get through this part.

now that i re-read, the word 'uninspired' seems a little harsh.

i think that you are a person that would benefit from discussing this with others, and i think that is why you are here posting. subconsciously, you want to hear every thing we all have to say. i hope you are still sticking around reading.

Dear Yaz:

How are you doing? Are you still banded? If so, just want to let you know that I had the SAME thoughts you did 3 weeks after my surgery.;) I woke up one morning, and I was HUNGRY with a capitol H!!!!. And I stayed hungry all day. Stayed Hungry All week, because I was trying to eat these damn small volumes, in 3 meals a day, and it just wasn't working for me. I tearfully told my husband that I had made the biggest mistake of my life, had just wasted 15K, was going to be a total band failure, blah blah blah. :)

I even googled band failures to see if there were any other people like me, and I found this forum. (Sure wish they had told me about this forum at the lap band clinic) This forum was a lifesaver for me because I found out other people here went through my same issues, and survived. THese wonderful people helped put things in perspective, because they are "me." They are you too.

I STILL think that having this done is incredibly barbaric, and that 20 years from now, there will be a pill that will make the surgery obsolete. And people will be amazed that us fatties went to such extreme measures as to get ourselves banded, or bypassed, or whatever WLS flavor of the day is. But for now, this is the best medical science has to offer.

Is it easy? No, and Hell NO. And it may even get worse once you begin the fills. After my first golf-ball-slime episode in public, as I leaned over a filthy toilet in a nasty public restroom trying to barf up 4 measley bites of scrambled eggs, I again wondered what in the world I had done to myself.:eek: But then I remembered that the PB meant that the band was working to keep me from eating too much too fast, and, barbaric or not, I now had a tool that I never had in the past. And I am slowly losing. REEEEEALLY slowly, but something is better than nothing. And hopefully, I will keep it off, once and for all if I keep working at it. And once I added between meal healthy Snacks, my hunger monster is at least bearable.

Keep reading the posts, and you will see that most of us work very hard to reach our goals. THis band is not for sissies or lazy people. It is hard work, but at least, it has our back, so to speak.

What ever you decide, I wish you the best. I hope you decide to give it a chance. We will be with you all the way. Please post again so we know how you are doing, band or no band.

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to attack Yaz. We all want her to wait a bit before she makes her decision to have another surgery.

She already said she made an appointment with her doctor. We are all waiting to see what her doctor has to say about all of this.

She said she doesn't want to be talked out of this. I don't think by sharing our stories and experiences we are trying to talk her out of

it. Most everyone thinks she needs to wait awhile, and that most of

us had a hard time in the beginning.

I don't want to ruffle feathers...but here is the info I found about that statistic debate from a couple of posts earlier.

FALSE. Congressional hearings, diet books and the media have for many years bred hopelessness among dieters by quoting the statistic that 95% of people who lose weight regain it—and then some—within a few months or years. But that figure is based on a 1959 study of only 100 people and, say obesity experts, cannot be considered a universal truth. The National Weight Loss Registry, launched in 1994 to get a more accurate picture of long-term dieters, offers signs of encouragement. Researchers Rena Wing, Ph.D., of the University of Pittsburgh and the Brown University School of Medicine, and James Hill, M.D., of the University of Colorado, were surprised at how easy it was to find people who have achieved major weight loss goals. The project's 2,800 respondents have maintained an average 67-pound weight loss for five years, with up to 14% of them staving off a more than 100-pound weight loss. Wing and Hill are now compiling profiles of successful dieters to learn just how they did it.

info can be read on: Psychology Today: Weight Loss Myths Blasted

Yeah...Sucessful dieters band or no band..

I would have to say it takes....lifelong committment....diet and exercise balance hand in hand...

A lifestyle change!

Now isn't that what our band is here for? To make us successful dieters!

Yes I have woken up some days...hating this band...and other days loving this band....For the most part.....I am loving it...it just took some positive thinking...and some getting used to. It is a learning process.

One that is a unique journey for each of us.

First, let me say I totally understand where you're coming from: Having a lap band is a HUGE change in our lives. Let's be honest--we can't eat or drink the way "everyone" else does.

I've had my band for 5 years, and at times, I feel cheated and angry...I mean, heck, how come my sister gets to eat, drink, and be merry, and I have to contend with sliming and PBing if I get one step out of line?! Totally not fair!

Yet, I know that EVERYTHING else has failed for me in my attempts to lose weight over the course of my life (I'm 50 now, I've been at this "dieting" gig since I was 7). So I guess I look at it as trading some things (i.e. eating what I want and when I want it) for other things (health and longevity).

I would supposed that if you truly want your band out, you can talk to your surgeon and have it removed, although I suspect it would be at your own expense. Also, you don't have to have it filled--you'd probably have very little restriction, if any, if you went that route.

Ultimtately, I guess I'm still trying to figure out how you passed your psych evaluation...as a mental health professional, I would hope that I would have "caught" this well before you went into surgery.

All the best in whatever decision you make.

I don't want to ruffle feathers...but here is the info I found about that statistic debate from a couple of posts earlier.

FALSE. Congressional hearings, diet books and the media have for many years bred hopelessness among dieters by quoting the statistic that 95% of people who lose weight regain it—and then some—within a few months or years. But that figure is based on a 1959 study of only 100 people and, say obesity experts, cannot be considered a universal truth. The National Weight Loss Registry, launched in 1994 to get a more accurate picture of long-term dieters, offers signs of encouragement. Researchers Rena Wing, Ph.D., of the University of Pittsburgh and the Brown University School of Medicine, and James Hill, M.D., of the University of Colorado, were surprised at how easy it was to find people who have achieved major weight loss goals. The project's 2,800 respondents have maintained an average 67-pound weight loss for five years, with up to 14% of them staving off a more than 100-pound weight loss. Wing and Hill are now compiling profiles of successful dieters to learn just how they did it.

info can be read on: Psychology Today: Weight Loss Myths Blasted

The statistic quoted is certainly daunting, but the National Weight Loss Registry, unfortunately, cannot be used to decisively prove that it is wrong. This Registry is based upon individuals "self-reporting" all information. For individuals to participate they need to have lost 30 pounds and kept it off for one year or more. The follow-up questionnaires, etc. all rely on the participants providing accurate truthful information. Unfortunately, human nature provides that these answers (especially considering weight loss and maintenance) may all too often include a "fudge factor". That is, not necessarily telling out and out lies, but maybe just altering the truth "a little bit". Over time, to avoid exposing the "little lie" another slightly bigger lie needs to be told... and on and on.

I own a small company that provides consulting services in the area of clinical trials. You would be surprised that even in the serious area of cancer trials what the patient-completed drug and side effect diaries contain. We call them "parking lot diaries", because more often than not the patients forget to complete them on a daily basis and end up scribbling in the blanks when they are in the parking lot of the doctor's office. It is not at all uncommon to have a patient report that they took a total number of chemotherapy tablets that are in excess of what they were actually prescribed and given. The progress notes from the doctor usually read something like, "patient reported taking 32 doses of trial medication. Patient was only prescribed and given 28 doses. Despite this, patient continued to assert that he took 32 doses."

Fortunately, the patient diary is only one small part of the clinical trials documentation process or we would never have any drugs approved by the FDA.

The National Weight Control Registry does provide good information even though it is not necessarily clinically sound. Because of the large number of participants, data can be extracted regarding eating/dieting trends, exercise trends, etc. The data is not necessarily conclusive, but it can provide excellent starting points for clinical researchers to focus on when developing clinical trials.

You CAN'T give up....be encouraged and hang in there. Remember that nothing tastes as good and thin feels. You are talking about your health. This is a wonderful opportunity for you be in control of your weight, rather than your weight controlling you. I believe that once you have a fill and are able to have a real portion-controlled meal you will feel much better. I don't know if you have children, but if you do..keep the band for them, but most of all keep the band for YOU!!! Remember the band is just a tool...it will only work if you want it to work. Think about the reasons you sought out to have the surgery in the first place...you were sick of being overweight. Give it a chance...at least 6 months before throwing in the towel. YOU CAN DO IT! NEVER GIVE UP!!! YOU WILL BE VICTORIOUS!

vshuford

Yazmin

I have been reading all the posts regarding your delima. Have you seen your doc yet ? And are you still feeling you want the band removed? There are so many people , young, older, guys & gals concerned about you and anxious to support you in whatever you decide to do. One consideration I wanted to present to you is this: I myself have not been banded yet, but I have been doing a lot of my research here on this board, and I HAVE noticed that you young ones respond so quickly to the band. Wham! You lose it, and lucky lucky ducklings, your bodies shrink into such beautiful tight little packages again.

I will definatley not try to talk you out of removing your band if are really set on it, but I have a feeling that if you do wait at least until you have gone through these first few months, while you are fretting and fussing, you will turn around one day, look in your mirror and see a new thinner person and remember WHY you did this to yourself! I hope you do what's right for you. Either way you will have support here. God Bless.

The statistic quoted is certainly daunting, but the National Weight Loss Registry, unfortunately, cannot be used to decisively prove that it is wrong. This Registry is based upon individuals "self-reporting" all information. For individuals to participate they need to have lost 30 pounds and kept it off for one year or more. The follow-up questionnaires, etc. all rely on the participants providing accurate truthful information. Unfortunately, human nature provides that these answers (especially considering weight loss and maintenance) may all too often include a "fudge factor". That is, not necessarily telling out and out lies, but maybe just altering the truth "a little bit". Over time, to avoid exposing the "little lie" another slightly bigger lie needs to be told... and on and on.

I own a small company that provides consulting services in the area of clinical trials. You would be surprised that even in the serious area of cancer trials what the patient-completed drug and side effect diaries contain. We call them "parking lot diaries", because more often than not the patients forget to complete them on a daily basis and end up scribbling in the blanks when they are in the parking lot of the doctor's office. It is not at all uncommon to have a patient report that they took a total number of chemotherapy tablets that are in excess of what they were actually prescribed and given. The progress notes from the doctor usually read something like, "patient reported taking 32 doses of trial medication. Patient was only prescribed and given 28 doses. Despite this, patient continued to assert that he took 32 doses."

Fortunately, the patient diary is only one small part of the clinical trials documentation process or we would never have any drugs approved by the FDA.

The National Weight Control Registry does provide good information even though it is not necessarily clinically sound. Because of the large number of participants, data can be extracted regarding eating/dieting trends, exercise trends, etc. The data is not necessarily conclusive, but it can provide excellent starting points for clinical researchers to focus on when developing clinical trials.

My point exactly....you can't rely on what someone wrote down to sell an article..and believe it like it was the bible....or like in the case you described...to sell the drug to the FDA so eventually they can make even more $$.

What ever happened to our mentality as a society that a record can be broken. The challenge of doing so....the challenge of working out of your comfort zone...and striving (gosh this will sound corny but) striving to be the best you can be!

My question is...the media keeps mentioning how bad our obesity has gotten and it is an epidemic...but America what are we doing together as a nation to control it.....oh yeah..I know....putting chips and chocolate machines in breakrooms!...oh and using data from the early 1950's to give people as a guideline to address obesity..

WestCoastFatGuy You ROCK!!

I hated the band the first few days, too. As a matter of fact, I told my fiance that if I had known it would be like this, I wouldn't have done it.

Now, that was after surgery, full of gas and the shoulder pain that came with it, sore from the surgery after thinking I'd bounce back like I did after the c-section 10 years ago - and just plain old depressed because I couldn't EAT. Eating was a passion and now I had to sip on some stupid 2 ounce cup every damn 15 minutes??? Are you kidding me?

But, then...I lost weight...I got to eat real food again...I was full...I lost weight and lost weight....and all these litte great things started to happen. I completely forgot how much I hated it at first, and how I told fiance that I didn't want it.

The other day, he was talking to someone and they asked him about it. He said, "Oh, I think she regretted getting it and doesn't recommend it."

I said, "WHAT? No!!! I totally recommend it, I LOVE IT!" He looked confused - "But you said...." :tongue: God love him, he's just a guy and it's hard for them to keep up sometimes.

Long story short - try to hang in there. Getting over a life change and surgery and then not being able to turn to what's comforted us for so long (food) is HARD. But, the rest is downhill, easy and wonderful!

Please let us know how it goes for you. I hope it all works out for the best.

I mourned my loss of normal food ....

......I only wish you well, with or without the band. Ultimately, you make the decision that's best for you... but please... plan for the worst and hope for the best. In the end, that's all any of us, as human beings, can really do.

WestCoastFatGuy - You almost made me cry. That was beautiful. I love you man! :tongue:

Congrats on your weight loss, you're doing great!

Yaz, keep us posted. From everything I read on here, I think the idea to just not have your band filled is the best one. I have 4.5cc in my 10cc band and I can tell you that right now I can eat anything I want. Personally, that upsets me and I'm getting another fill this Friday, but just to give you an idea.... This past weekend my DH and I were working on remodeling projects around the house and ended up eating "quick food". With 4.5cc, I was able to eat pizza (the food I was most worried about missing, but don't crave it anymore) and a hotdog with the bun!

So if you just want to be able to eat what you want, just wait a coulple of weeks (which you probably will have to anyway before getting additional surgery) and you will be just like you were before surgery. I've read SO many posts where people are upset saying that they can't even tell they have a band before they get a fill.

At least that way, if you want it later on, it would only require a simple fill and not yet another surgery.

I wish you well, whatever your decision.

Hi Shortgal,

I, too, was denied for not having proof of morbid obesity for 5 years. Aetna recently changed their guidelines and reduced the 5-year requirement to 2 years. I initially met with the surgeon in early 2007 and now that it's 2008, I have a weight history for 2 years.

I got approved last week and my surgery is March 13th.

If you don't have Aetna as your insurance carrier, you may wish to consider changing when your employer offers open-enrollment.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks Mike, but way too late and no better ins. option available. I already pre-paid and had surgery in Nov. didn;t like to pay when I knew I had coverage and met the guidelines and I was not hiding info, as I had really been overweight for many more years than 5. My circumstances were just unusual in why I didn't have the proof. I offered explanations on why I didn;t have the proof, but they didn;t care. I had fought with them for over 6 months and just wasn;t going to wait anylonger.

So, I finally went to my doctors office yesterday. He started me out on solids :huh2:. He also told me that he can't remove my band until about 3 months. I ate yesterday for the first time in 14 days and I felt great!! But I still feel a little down since my doctor pretty much told me that the 14 lb I had lot was not a big deal.........but whatever I guess I rater lose 14 lb than to gain them.:cool2: