Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want My Band Removed Now!!!!!

Um, I think your doctor is rude! How on earth can he say it's not a big deal when you haven't even had your band very long? Most legitimate doctors who know anything about the human body know for a fact that each pound lost is a huge big deal. Whatever.

I've only lost 14 pounds and I was banded 01/04/08. My doc would never say such a thing to me. In fact, I have a hard time convincing him that mine are the lowest weight loss stats I've ever seen for the lap band this far out after being banded. My girlfriend got banded just 6 weeks before me and she's lost 35 pounds. Yep. We had the same surgeon and she eats horribly. I just don't get it...but my doc still thinks 14 pounds gone is a big deal and he's proud of me. He DOES agree that I need another fill, which I go in for next Wednesday, March 19. I CAN'T WAIT!

Regardless, my advice to you would be to leave your band in. Honestly, I can't even tell it's there, and I definitely couldn't tell it was there before my first fill. Sometimes I even doubt I have anything in there at all! I got a little restriction from my first fill and I was so happy. That restriction is gone already and I'm frustrated, but I would never opt to have this band removed. After all, it causes me no problems, and there are NO foods that I have had to give up. None. Maybe that will change eventually and that won't bother me one bit...because I hopped on this journey with full knowledge that this was gonna be tough.

Also, I've heard that band removal is more difficult and a little more rough and harder to heal from. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I've heard. I would never have my band removed just for the peace of mind that it's out...especially when you seriously won't even know it's there as long as you just don't get any fills.

Another thing to consider is once you get past this depressive point, you may kick yourself in the booty for ever thinking you wanted to get it out. It may begin to work for you in ways that you could have never imagined. Once you begin eating normally again (and you CAN eat normally as a Bandster...even with fills...you just eat less), you may find yourself loving this tool and thanking ALL of us here in this thread that advised you to just leave it in and don't mess with it. You may be surprised and you may want to "try" a fill at one point and realize that it's not bad AT ALL! In fact, I love getting my fills...it's exciting and fascinating all at the same time.

I have a feeling those 3 months will go by and your feelings will have changed a bit by that point. At any rate, best of luck to you!

.....I've only lost 14 pounds and I was banded 01/04/08. ...... In fact, I have a hard time convincing him that mine are the lowest weight loss stats I've ever seen for the lap band this far out after being banded. My girlfriend got banded just 6 weeks before me and she's lost 35 pounds. Yep. We had the same surgeon and she eats horribly. I just don't get it...but my doc still thinks 14 pounds gone is a big deal and he's proud of me. He DOES agree that I need another fill, which I go in for next Wednesday, March 19. I CAN'T WAIT!

Krista: Congratulations on your 14 pounds!:huh2: I got banded before you did and have only lost 14 pounds. Check out the slow losers club. There are plenty of us out there. I finally got good restriction on my 3rd fill two weeks ago, but I am still dropping at only .5 pound a week. And who knows how long that will last. At least I am not gaining. I will say, this is the best I have done since the good ole PhenPhen days. This turtle is in it till the finish line.

So, I finally went to my doctors office yesterday. He started me out on solids :huh2:. He also told me that he can't remove my band until about 3 months. I ate yesterday for the first time in 14 days and I felt great!! But I still feel a little down since my doctor pretty much told me that the 14 lb I had lot was not a big deal.........but whatever I guess I rater lose 14 lb than to gain them.:party:

Well done Yaz. I hope that you will feel a little better now that you are able to eat some food. :cool2:

So, I finally went to my doctors office yesterday. He started me out on solids :huh2:. He also told me that he can't remove my band until about 3 months. I ate yesterday for the first time in 14 days and I felt great!! But I still feel a little down since my doctor pretty much told me that the 14 lb I had lot was not a big deal.........but whatever I guess I rater lose 14 lb than to gain them.:cool2:

Yaz, I just saw my doctor on Monday and he said that the average weightloss people have after surgery and for the first two weeks is 5-8 pounds. He said most lose about 6 pounds and that I was right on track. 14 pounds is amazing and don't listen to what your doctor is saying. That was rude and as I've been told, any weight you lose before a fill is a plus and amazing.

Also, I know you've heard a lot already, but for the first week after my surgery I was in some weird limbo world.. Don't know if it was the meds, or the anestesia, but I had one slime the second day and was like, "what the hell have I done?" I haven't had another episode since and I'm eating many foods I use to enjoy before. I think with a mixture of the meds, anestesia, and fearing to lose your foods its quite normal to feel this way.... But, I'll tell you what.. this past Thanksgiving, when I knew my lapband would be approaching and I'd never get to pig out at Thanksgiving again, I ate and ate and ate and ate.. and made myself so sick. All night I was belching, in the tiolet and miserable. I didn't enjoy thanksgiving at all, because I felt I had to splurge for my last big "holiday".... after that day I told myself I wouldn't miss that feeling ever again. And I don't. The feeling I have now is wonderful even if I am in "bandster hell", I still can't eat near as I use to, nor would I want to.

I'm glad you are on solids now and perhaps you will feel the happiness I do one day. Whatever your decision is, you will find supporters here.

I think 14 pounds is great. Your Dr. might have siad that from anger that you're not satisfied with the band and asking for removal.

Anyway, I'm sure we are all curious, now that some time has passed, you've lost 14 pounds are eating again, Have you changed your mind about band removal? Or do you still want it out?

yaz,

My Dr. explained that it is common to feel "buyers remorse" in the first 3 months following surgery. This happens to all WLS patients, not just lapband patients. He also assured me that the feeling would get better in the months to come, especially when you see the pounds start coming off. Do you think that may be what you are experiencing?

What I said was that im in this situation because i was being lazy and thought that getting the band would be an easy way out.

Seriously...were you self pay? Did you have to have a psych evaluation? You obviously were not mentally ready to have this procedure. Granted, I haven't read all 7 pages yet but this just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Most of us who have been banded did the research and learned that this was an effective weight loss TOOL.

Not an easy way out.

/edit on

I should edit this to say that I understand your frustration. I'm one week post-op and I'm having those feelings, too. It's hard being denied after indulging for so long. It's an emotional roller coaster but I know that in the long run, it'll be well worth it.

I know it probably wasn't the news you wanted to hear, but I'm glad your surgeon isn't able to remove the band quite yet. I'm thinking that after some time to adjust to your new lifestyle that you may have a different perspective on things.

You are indeed still young. It is so very important that you get a grip on your health now. I gained 100 pounds in a year when I was in my early 20's due to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrom). Looking back, it really did impact my life. I didn't really enjoy my 20's because I spent so much time being ashamed of my body. I don't wish for anyone to live like that. Life is too short to hide away from the world.

I think visiting a counselor of some sort would be beneficial to you. I don't know if you were mentally ready for the procedure but now that you have the band, it would behoove you to have someone to talk to. You mentioned depression and hurting yourself. These are serious things. Please don't let them go unchecked for too long.

My wish for you is to find renewed strength and perspective with each new day.

Seriously...were you self pay? Did you have to have a psych evaluation? You obviously were not mentally ready to have this procedure. Granted, I haven't read all 7 pages yet but this just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Most of us who have been banded did the research and learned that this was an effective weight loss TOOL.

Not an easy way out.

/edit on

You should read all pages.

The OP has since admitted that she may have posted in an emotional haze. She has visited her doctor and is proceeding along the same path we all follow. I don't see the purpose in trying to smack her down.

I definitely didn't intend to come down hard or "smack her down" and I apologize at how harsh my sentiments came across. That is absolutely not my intent and I'm ashamed that it has been perceived that way. I feel so very bad at this perception and I apologize whole heartedly.

My frustration stems from having to jump through hoops to have my surgery and what seems to be a lack of pre-op insight from her medical team. It's a shame she has to go through such turmoil and I truly hope she finds a resolution to her situation that works for her and keeps her in the best spirits possible.

This is the reason why I have a love/hate relationship with message boards. What we type cannot always convey our tone or intent. We all are here for one reason and I am one of those folks who truly believes in positive support and encouragement. One of my favorite quotes that I strive to live by is this:

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." --Plato

Again, I apologize for what can be misconstrued as negativity toward the OP. Please know that I meant nothing of the sort and unfortunately didn't express my thoughts as clearly as I should have.

The OP has since admitted that she may have posted in an emotional haze. She has visited her doctor and is proceeding along the same path we all follow. I don't see the purpose in trying to smack her down.

I haven't read the PO admit that at all. The only thing she stated was she saw her doc, he won't take it out for 3 months and that she is feeling a little better since beginning solids.

The OP also posted a similar thread before she was banded stating she had feelings that she fears she would regret getting the band when she is not able to eat the foods she loves to eat.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/scared-about-actual-surgery-52695/#post729320

I don't feel whimsy was trying to smack anyone down. She was stating a valid point. Getting any elective surgery comes with doing your research and the OP went into this knowing this was a lifestyle change, one that is not easliy reversed. Whimsy simply asked questions that many more were already asking.

Think of how much we have learned because of Yaz's experience! Yaz, I am sorry that you experienced what was a hard situation, but you have done such a service to those of us learning about this. You taught me what I may experience and now, I know that "buyer's remorse" or depression is normal and that this, too shall pass. I also know exactly where to come for help and support!

So, I feel compassion for Yaz's emotional roller-coaster--and I THANK HER for sharing and teaching me so much.

jb

I agree, Whimsy, that posts are sometimes hard to decipher. I think that the second thoughts that Jaz is/was having are pretty common.

YAZ!!! omiGOD!! 14 lbs is GR8!!! that is a huge percentage of your excess weight...i mean, if your goal is 130, then you had about 60 lbs or so to lose...14 lbs is almost 25% of your excess weight, if my math is correct!! you are already 1/4 of the way there!!

i think you will feel much better now that you can experiment with your old solid foods and find that the band helps you to be satisfied with a HEALTHY amount, instead of the old SUPERSIZED amount that we used to eat!!!!

best of luck to you sweetie!