Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

sueangel--I read it. This is terrible. These types of situations are very traumatic for all the survivors. I'm sorry this has happened.

Thanks - I have remained very close to my ex's family - so good luck with your work - and lets talk soon!

I hope everyone had a nice holiday. We had fun sailing on the Puget Sound - it looked like the weather might be what you would expect for Seattle, but it turned out great. We had enough sun to need to apply lots of sunscreen on our pale Irish skin. I even let my husband take a few photos of me with the kids and dog on this trip - I still didn't like it, but I did allow it.

Nothing like a few dorritos and a brownie for dinner while watching the fireworks on a sailboat (except trying the get the big dog on the dinghy to take her to shore to try to go to the bathroom)...

Sue, that's so horrible. Somehow, murder in the country seems so much more awful than murder in the city. I'm glad you stayed close to your ex's family.

Having a hard time with the head stuff lately. DH and I have some issues and it seems when things get bad I start having a hard time holding it together with the healthy eating. I get stressed and it's hard to get the real solid Proteins down (because my band seems to get really tight with stress) and then I get HUNGRY and eat some high carb mushie stuff to fill the hunger. Then the head stuff hits and I eat of all things....ice cream.

I will not buy anymore ice cream! I will get on the treadmill when the head stuff gets to me. I must continue ....40 pounds is not goal...even though it is getting mighty comfortable.

Christine

By the way...how can people not notice my 40 pound weight loss? My SIL asked me the other day "so have you lost any weight since the surgery?" I almost fell off my seat...but I just responded with "yea, about 40 pounds" She said "well, I guess I can see it in your face." I think she needs glasses! I was shocked! I am wearing a size 18 down from a tight 24. Amazing, simply amazing. So mushe asier when people just keep their mouths shut.

Christine

The head stuff is hard. I think you have to say to yourself, for example, "I'm not going to let my a$$hole office mate have the satisfaction of making me put on weight. Every piece of chocolate I eat is a defeat for me, and a victory for her."

The first step is recognizing that you're in jeopardy, and the cause of it. If things are going badly at home, at least 50% of that is out of your control; what you put in your mouth is something that you control completely.

My surgeon warned me when I first saw him that the real band killers were ice cream and chocolate; I've assiduously avoided the two ever since. This doesn't mean that I don't have a silent internal cheer when I see a little scoop of ice cream on my plate, but i haven't bought ice cream since I got banded.

Oh! I am SUCH a liar! I bought some vanilla ice cream when I had a date over to my house who I was trying to impress with a fancy dinner ending with a fancy dessert! But the date was a disaster - she had cat allergies (once again those two little bastids are playing havoc with my life), and we were forced to go out to a restaurant instead. But I only bought a single serving container, and ate it over the next two days, in a controlled way, to get rid of it.

Christine, it might not make you feel any better, but people don't automatically notice that I'm down 100 pounds (yeah yeah - 100 pounds give or take!). I think when you have a lot to lose, it takes a while to become obvious - with my thin friends, I notice if they've lost 10 pounds, but at my size, well, we shall see.

I do think that, over time, the weight loss looks more and more striking.

And weight loss is just a hard thing for some people to talk about. There are so many factors that go into it.

I know I still have trouble telling people when I have noticed that they lose weight. It feels like I am commenting on how they weren't "OK" before. I try so hard to notice more than what someone looks like that I will have a hard time talking about weight and beauty related issues.

And sometimes you will have people who might not be "feeling the love" for you. They might find a way to let you know specifically that they aren't noticing. Especially if they are a bit overweight or someone that has gone through losing/gaining - or just can't be happy for someone.

I have lost a little over 40 pounds and have between 20 & 40 more to go (depending on how ambitious I feel). I know I have I have a few friends that are very loud with praise and notice just about every time I see them - and I have a hard time not being embarrassed. I have other friends that just won't say anything even though I catch them sort of doing a double take when they first see me. I know they don't mean anything by it, it is just not something they are comfortable talking about.

Hi all. Its sad to have my long holiday weekend rolling to a close here but I bought a new "toy" -- don't know if its up there in the league with Wii Fit but its a new exercise challenge for me. I got a ladies 10 speed bike that was in very good condition (used) for $40 off Craig's List. So far I can ride it for 5 minutes without being too tired. Wow - I really thought I'd be able to start with at least 15 minutes of riding. Now I have a new measure to see progress. It probably doesn't help me to have had knee surgery in mid-April where I need to keep strengthening that but I don't want to give myself excuses. I know I've got to add more exercise. So Water aerobics 2 nights and now at least a few minutes on the bike each day plus some walking is my July exercise plan.

I thought I'd pass along the idea of getting a used bike off at a garage sale or off Craig's List or something similar to others who want to give it a try without putting much money into it.

And weight loss is just a hard thing for some people to talk about. There are so many factors that go into it..

That is sooooooooooo true.....the other day my boss mentioned it and he stumbled all over himself apologizing because he says he didn't want me to think he thought I looked bad before....it was funny, I felt sorry for the guy.....

I finally just stopped him and said...."Thank you, I've been working very hard at it, it's nice that you noticed...."

Weight is such a touchy subject I think some people are leary of saying something until it is just completely obvious......

Christine Im with you on that. I even asked a friend if she had noticed I was losing weight. She said she thought I was looking healthy but she always thought I looked good. Either that is a lot of BS or a good friend. I think sometimes people who see you all the time kind of stop seeing you. If you know what I mean.

I agree with all of you.I have some friends who are great and tell me they can see the weight coming off,then there are others who don't comment I think they are just jealous.I am a slow looser only 31 lbs so far.I have had many nsv so I am happy with that.Don't let others bring you down,be proud of the hard work you are doing to become a healthier you.

Fenton,My Dr. told me the sameabout icecream and choc.I buy it for the children it doesn't bother me,sweets are not my thing I am a fast food junkie.:thumbup: Pat