Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Lap-Band buddies in Florida!!!

Trisha..I would love to meet you guys! I am being banded tomarrow Oct the 3rd, and would still be on liquids on the 14th....but if I feel up to it I would like to join you....let me know more. Thanks!

Wow....good luck with your surgery...just a few hours away from the beginning of a new chapter in your life! Which surgeon are you using? Let us know how you are post-op. We'd love to meet you on the 14th...as of now we're meeting there at 6pm. Keep in touch and I'll say a prayer for you.

Trisha

Guest Flor_Bellas

Hi everyone, I'm sorta new on this site. I've been lurking in the background but I've been here. I was banded on 7/28/05 by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. I've not had a fill yet because I've been a little short on the funds. I live really close to Dr. Gomez, I see that some of you guys travel to see him for your fills. I'll end up going to him in a couple of weeks when I can come up with the money.

Anyway, I wanted to propose some of us getting together down here. The Bandster Bash sounds awesome but it is too far for me right now. I'm hoping we can get a pretty good group going on down here in Miami. Or is there one going on now that I can attend? I hope to get to know you all as I continue my journey.

Maria

Hi guys!! Looking forward to the dinner on friday!! I hope more people will come and join us!! Like Trisha said, anyone interested in meeting e mail one of us, (me, trisha, or Ca) for details!! Let's get together and have some fun and support!! Good luck Terrilen on your surgery!! Wishing you a speedy and painless recovery!!

Jo Ann

dinner where? Is it in Miami? I am in Cape Coral,,, next to Ft Myers...

I just got to mUshies, but as I found out my Dr said Mushies are anything you chew to mush... not food that are already mushy....

Yep, lets get a bandster meet going in this area. I am about 2 1/2 hrs from Miami on the west coast but I go get my fills w/ Dr. Gomez and I'm going to get an appt to get a fill in late Oct. So maybe we can meet for lunch? ? I couln't stay late out there for dinner, but I could meet you all for lunch?? Well let me know. I haven't called Emilio to make my appt. but I'm going to schedule it later this week. Talk to you soon.

Our get together is in Orlando!! Sorry! But your always welcome to come!!:( Maybe you guys further down south can get a get together going on over that way. It's a great way to meet people and great for support too!!

Guest Orlando-bando

TERRILEN!!!!!

How'd your surgery go? Are you feeling good? If not, honest you WILL!!! If you feel good enough to walk, DO IT! It'll make things and your recovery sooooooooo much better! Good good good luck to you!

ca

HELLO EVERYONE,

I PRETTY MUCH DECIDED LAST NIGHT AFTER ABOUT A YEAR OF DEBATE THAT LAPBAND IS MY CHOICE OF ACTION. NOW FOR THE HOMEWORK. I WOULD LOVE TO GET INFO ON PRICING FOR CASH PATIENTS FROM ANY DOCTORS LOCATED NEAR PENSACOLA FLORIDA. I WAS REFERRED TO DR JAWAD IN OCALA, BUT WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOMEONE CLOSER. DR LORD IN PENSACOLA IS $18,000+ AND BCBS OF FL DOESNT COVER ANYTHING. WOULD LOVE TO SPEND LESS, OBVIOUSLY. ANY AND ALL INFO WOULD HELP. YOU MAY ALSO EMAIL ME AT ANNAADAMS15@JUNO.COM

THANKS,

ANNA

Guest Orlando-bando

Anna

You're going to be soooooo glad you decided to do it!!!! However, I wouldnt shop for a surgeon by price, especially with this procedure. I was referred to Dr Jawad as well, he is 90 miles from my home and I would happily travel 3x the distance to see him. He is extremely well thought of by the psych and WLS community here in Orlando and I am so comfortable having him oversee my WLS and goals. There are a bunch of reasonable, clean hotels right off I-75 to stay in after or before your procedure so you dont have to travel right home and his staff is wonderful! I'm pretty whiny and they havent thrown me out yet Have you fought and kicked and screamed to your insurance co? Also, if the hospital and their staff is IN network they'll pay that part and then you'll just have to pay Dr J's fee. Seriously check him out! There are several of us here in Orlando who chose him even though there is another WLS office 10 minutes from my house. Feel free to check out his office's WL Forum. It's http://www.jawadmd.com/forum/ and I think you can sign on as a guest. There's tons of info on it. Good luck to you!!!!!

ca

Hello Anna,

Have you checked out ObesityLaw.com? Walter Lindstrom is an "obesity surgery" attorney and he has a high success rate in getting insurance co's to pay for surgery, even if it's excluded from you plan. He's also a weightloss patient, so he not in this solely for the money. You should email him and see what he says, as far as if he can help you. His fees are very reasonable. I was going to use him, but I handled my own appeal (not something I recommend unless you can handle many hours on the phone with the insurance company, getting transferred to dozens of people and having to repeat your story to them 100 times). Well, whatever you decide to do, good luck with your surgery and very soon you'll be "Loser". smile.gif

Trisha

Guest pcos&depressed

Hi everyone... I am not banded yet but I am meeting with my PCP on Wed to ask about it. We are military and I have Tricare Prime. I go to the doctor on Eglin AFB. I was told they cover the bypass surgery and last time I was in they mentioned it as an option for me but I am scared of it. I just heard of the lap band last week and I am hoping I qualify for it. I am assuming I do since I was told the bypass was my next step.

I have PCOS. It took 7 years to get pregnant and have my son. While pg I had pre-e. I am insuline resistant, high cholestrol, bursitis due to my weight and much more. I am at about 215 and should be around 130. I have tried WW, low carb, no carb and I was told by my doctor no diet will work for me because of the PCOS.

Anyways...I hope to make some new friends on here.

Thanks

Amy B

Florida

Hi Amy,

And welcome to the board!!! Glad to see you found us here! I think that your insurance does pays for the lap band, I've known a few people who have tricare and they got approved, but because they pay for one weight loss surgery doesn't mean they will pay for the other. A lot of insurance companies are still not paying for the lap band due to the fact that it's new still over here in the states and they are still considering it "experimental". But I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! Keep us posted on how you are doing!!

Good luck and once again welcome to the board!!

Hi there! Welcome, welcome. Regardless if your insurance would cover the band, I would seriously reconsider bypass surgery. There are some major major risks involved. I would really push for the band. Do your homework and speak directly with a higher-up in your insurance company about coverage and risk factors. Good luck to you.