Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Lap-Band buddies in Florida!!!

I live in Key West But will be in Tampa untill January 2. I have a fill appointment in St Pete on tue at 1:30 if you want to see what happens.

Hi NickNack,

I was banded on April 12th of 2006 by Dr Jawad, no problems. I have lost 55 pounds and counting. (I want to lose 100 more.) and a Dr from that office called me within 15 minutes of me leaving a message but it was a minor problem unrelated to the band and I have been so impressed with everyone there. This is the best decision I have made for myself. I know people have lost weight alot quicker than I have but that is because I still have a problem drinking with meals (I eat a lot of spicy foods). SO that is my fault and no one elses. You are making a great decision for yourself and good luck

Jukebox....thank you!! Very good!! Dr Grossbard does my followups!!! Very good info!! HOpefully, people that are searching can find this!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -97lbs :lost1.5lbs:

JUKEBOX! Dr Gross bard is who did my procedure and I left that hsopital walking tall with 3 band aids on. He was tncredible! I have a history of pulmonary emobolisim and he said he wounl have me done in less thav 45 minutes! He's a man of his word 38.23! He is a brilliant surgeon but hu lauhgs and cuts up all the time whic I love. See if you can get him as your surgone he is getting pretty famose another year you will not be able to get near him!! Good luck to you my lady whever you go be is where you are supposes to!

Hi everyone. I am over in Polk county. I actually live just south of Lakeland.

I have been doing research on LB.. I would love to have it done. I have not went to an orientation. I will attend on Jan 23rd.

I am really excited to get more info. I did get a brochure in the mail from Dr. Rehnke's office. I have it all filled out. Will take it with me to the meeting. What all happens at the orientation/informational meetings?

After the initial meeting is that when you schedule your 1st meeting with the Dr. to discuss the surgery & ins. and the whole shabang?

I called my ins. co and they told me they cover 80% of surgery. And I think she said I had a $1,000 deductible. I am having them send me a copy of our benefits booklet. Want to get it in writing...

One of my biggest things I am concerned about. What if my PCP doesn't agree with this surgery. I am sure there are many Dr's out there that will not approve having LB done.... ?!?!?!

I haven't talked to him yet. But will soon. I have a followup on my bloodwork on tues. Have to get it done every year because I have an underactive thyroid..

Have any of you had a PCP not approve surgery? If so, how did you handle it? Did you get another Dr? :nervous

Also tell me about the Optifast? Is that a drink? What is the taste?

And on the fills, what is the "with flouro"? I have seen this in several posts but nothing explaining what it was.

Thanks in advance....

:wave:

Coolbrze:

First of all....WELCOME!!

IF your insurance pays 80% that is a gift....many of us are/were self pay!! So having insurance that pays so much is a gift I'm sure!!! :)

I did not do an informational seminar....so can't say much. I lived too far from the doc doing my surgery to go twice! I'm sure they give you "information" :D about how to prepare and what's necessary. I went right into the first meeting. They had me watch a video....did a lot of teaching and discussing of nutrition.

I am a PA....so I am the right hand of the dr....anyway....MOST docs realize the long term implications of obesity and realize that the weight loss is so important....speak to your PCP from your heart.

Optifast is a drink....at least it was when I did it years ago....

Flouro is explained beautifully by kwhenrykerr above.

This has been one of the best decisions I've made for myself ever!! I am happy with my band....it is NOT easy...still a head battle and my band has such a personality that I've dubbed her "Lucy"....she can be very controlling!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -97lbs :)

Hi Melody,

Thanks for the input. I am very glad ins is doing 80% Because I don't have the $$ for self pay. But then, I need to find a Dr that will agree to it.

So I am sure if I don't get a yes, then I will have to go as a self/pay... grrr....I know when I called ins. They told me I would have to get all documentation from Dr claiming medically neccessary, HBP or obesity related items etc., then once approved I would have 80% of eligible expenses. After $100 deductible.. Still waiting on my benefits booklet. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks,

:wave:

Coolbrze,

If you are forced to self-pay you might want to look into a new surgery center that just opened up in the Tampa area. They are called Journey Lite of West Florida. I called today to find out the cost and it is $15,800. They don't take insurance, so it is cash only.

Hi Jukebox,

Thanks so much for the info. I will check it out. If any of you know a PCP that has patients who did the lapband, please let me know. I am looking for someone here in Lakeland or maybe Plant City. I would hate to change PCP's but will if I have too. I am gonna try to talk to my PCP again when I go back for my blood work follow up in 6 weeks. Hopefully I can get him to say that he would refer me for the LB.. Keeping my fingers crossed. And I am still waiting on my benefits booklet as a clarification on the coverage. Guess I will send hubby to HR on his day off next week.

Thanks again,

Rosanna

*waves*

Hi everyone. I live up on the "Emerald Coast" and my in laws are down in Homestead and we go visit them often. Maybe one of those times you will be having a little get together and I can join.

I have been waiting a long time for this surgery and I cant wait! I hae my first meeting with Dr. Nye of Pensacola on Monday the 26th. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I hope to be one of the newest members of the March club!

I'm glad I found this thread. I live in central Florida, but had my surgery in Mexico.

Struggling at the moment, but feel like I'm going to get my head on straight now-feeling more positive again. That's truly the key!