Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

what in the world is a swiss chard????

Swiss chard is a veggie similar to spinach. I sauteed it with olive oil, onion, garlic, and then added a splash of apple cider vinegar. Didn't think I would be tempted but my family didn't finish it and I couldn't bring myself to throw away the last few bites. Thought I would be craving sweets but have been wanting things that are not sweet or salty. Guess that is because the shakes are so sweet and then the broth I am allowed is really salty.

I'm just venting about having so many addictions, food, Alcohol, and cigarettes. One addition at a time. I got the lap band on 2-18-2008 and lost 20 lbs. I'm so glad about that, could not have done it without the band and I will be successful needing to loss about 100 more. When I get to my sweet spot I will do my best to quit alcohol, then cigarettes. I quit smoking for about 5 years and raising teenagers I started again(stupid I know.)Just venting on how strong additions are and doing my best beating them one day at time.

Okay, not saying this is okay, but I have not cheated on my pre-op diet as of yet, but my surgery date is Wed, March 26, and tomorrow night (Monday), I plan on having sushi with my husband as a kind of farewell to it (I have read that I may not be able to tolerate it after surgery, but who knows?). After that, I am going back to being 100% on track, but I'll only have 1 full day left. I am allowed a few solids such as cottage cheese, raw veggies, and fruit. But I just read from a few of you that an all liquid diet will help most with the fatty liver, so I plan on going all-liquid Monday (except for the sushi dinner) and all day Tuesday. I hope that will counteract the sushi. Am I horrible for wanting to do this??????

I'm still on my 2 week pre-op with Optifast. No I have not cheated. There have been times I came very close, but I am happy to say I stuck with it. I am self pay and I guess I just want to make sure I do everything to the book.

So far I have't cheated - but it's only day 1. I must say that I'm very hungry. I'm hoping it gets better soon. I had to sign papers acknowledging that they could get into the surgery and decide that I hadn't been compliant and close me back up with no band. I'm not about to let that happen. The only thing I've had that isn't extremely low or zero cal. is my coffee - I put in fat free halfnhalf. Two tbls. is only 15 cal. That's enough for me to have two cups in the morning!

Wish me luck! :thumbs_down:

I am on day 3 of a 9 day pre-op diet. Yes, I have cheated, but am telling myself that it is so much less than my normal eating. I have had 6 animal crackers, and added 8 oyster crackers into my Soup today. I also had about an ounce of roasted chicken last night and today. I need substance, even if it is just a bite! So much less than usual, my liver has to be shrinking!!

I keep "planning" in my head some major cheating, then talking myself out of it. Today I told myself that I could have a last meal of a cheeseburger (no bun) and that seems to give me a goal for the next 8 days. Weather or not I'll do it, I can't say.

I am very proud of the people that did not cheat and those that only cheated a little, but i flat out cheated. I went into panic mode thinking i could never eat my favorite foods again.

I had spaghetti and meatballs one night, hamburger and fries another night, mexican food, etc, etc. Yes, I cheated big time. Now I have a week until my surgery.

Hopefully things will go smoothly, but if for some reason they can't do surgery, then I will just suck it up and torture myself for another two weeks.

-Ashamed

readytolive. I also freaked out when I thought about never having my favorite foods. I calmed myself by reminding myself that I had paid big dollars to help me control my eating and no way did I want my liver damaged because I had not followed the diet. I was on a cottage cheese and yogurt diet for 30 days. Since I have been banded, I am still able to eat my favorite food just not as much. So don't panic follow the diet for your own health and safety. Doddie

Mid-week during the first week, I cheated. I just got hungry. After that I guess I adjusted and didn't feel as hungry so I've been okay since. I'm not losing much weight though, maybe 5 lbs. so I hope my liver is okay. My surgery is this week Apr 30th.

A tiny bit. I was on two weeks of three Optifast shakes plus 64oz of clears. They told me that if I was starving, I could have salad, hardboiled egg whites, lean turkey/chicken. I did cave and have some of the food. I was just too freaking hungry.

I did cheat with 6 Hershey Kisses the second day in, and had 4 Tootsie Rolls and 2 Starbursts the third day. Leftovers from Easter Egg hunt/Birthday Party loot. :biggrin: I knew I need to get it out of the house, so I figured it would be better to do it then rather than after the surgery (of course, could've given it to the kids, husband, or thrown it out. Couldn't do that in good fatty conscience, though!).

I was pretty devastated that I didn't do it and really felt like a failure. It took me a long time to come to terms with it. It was all good, though. The surgeon said my liver was 'textbook' when he did the surgery.

-m

I have my surgery on the 20th of May. This 2 week pre op diet is very hard for me, but I have not cheated and I will not. With my luck they would cancel my surgery if I did. I try not to be around food. I can't believe how many food commercials are on TV. I even stay away from magazines. There is too many recipes. I know I sound crazy, but I love food. I have to stay away from it or its just torturing myself. I am very determined to change my life style, but its not easy after all these years. I'll do it. I know I can. Good luck to all.

I Just Joined This Group Today An I Am From The Bronx. I Would Love To Talk To Different People But Dont Know How To Use The Site Yet. But I Am Very Happy For You. I Am 290 And I Just Started My Journey...

Can't help but saying this - but - just cuz I jump off a cliff does that mean it's ok for you to. This goes to the saying your Mother use to say to you.

Life is hard - Band life isn't easy - It's not a walk in the park by any means - besides the fact that most doctors put you on a pre-op diet is to shrink your liver it is also preparing you for your life as a bander.

You have to follow the rules if you want success. You are only cheating you if you cheat on your pre-op - you aren't cheating - Kathy - Jane or me - you are hurting you...

It's the same after you are banded - Oh I ate chips when I was suppose to be on liquids - or ate some Pasta - it went down fine - it didn't hurt.

Maybe not - but the reason for the rules to to help you succeed as a bander - not to damage your band.

I just love these types of polls - I guess it makes people feel better that they aren't the only ones who cheat - but heck all you have to do is walk outside your front door and go to the mall and look at all the obese people walking around - we are already in the majority - but does that make it alright???

I'm new here to this site. I'm glad to find it.

My surgery is scheduled for June 2 and I start Optifast on Monday the 19th. I have never done a liquid diet before so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm 6'4" 460 lbs. I was up to 500 when I started loosing back in Nov 2007. I hope this surgey will help change my eating habits for life. My diabetes has become hard to handle with medication and diet and my circulation in my legs has diminished. I am very active for my size but my body is taking alot of abuse carrying all this weight. I have two sons 11 and 12 that are going to need me around a bit longer.

My surgery is scheduled for June 2 and I start Optifast on Monday the 19th. I have never done a liquid diet before so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm 6'4" 460 lbs. I was up to 500 when I started loosing back in Nov 2007. I hope this surgey will help change my eating habits for life. My diabetes has become hard to handle with medication and diet and my circulation in my legs has diminished. I am very active for my size but my body is taking alot of abuse carrying all this weight. I have two sons 11 and 12 that are going to need me around a bit longer.

Welcome Jbrod

LBT is a great site for info and support.

liquid diets aren't easy - but do able - some doc have you do all liquids some allow a small high Protein meal (fish & veggies) for like dinner.

The surgery isn't going to change your eating habits - you are the one who has to do that - the band is a great tool - but your brain is a bigger one and it's what controls the foods your eat.

I totally get wanting to be around for your kids - I have grandkids that I want to see get married and would love to see a couple of great-grandkids.. I wanted to improve the quality of my life - which I have accomplished - I feel 10 yrs young - have 100% more energy...

Good Luck .....

Welcome jbrod.

I did have a llittle trouble staying on the optifast because I kept craving meat. I am a true carnivoe, but after talking with my doctor, he had me put more powdered protien(Beneprotien has no taste) in my drinks which helped alot and I did not crave meat so much. I ended up loosing 20 lbs before surgery which was good. I am down 30 since. It is easier as you go. The first few days are the hardest but remember in about 3 or 4 days it gets easier and easier. It prepares you for after surgery too since you cannot eat solids for a couple of weeks. I think it would have been hard to do if I had not done the liquid before surgery. I have heard great things about diabetes retreating after surgery. Good luck and hang in there it will be great.