Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers Unite!

My flight was 2 hours. I had heard that the altitude messes with the band. the last time I came here, I threw up in the airport, when I tried to eat in between flights.

I recommend if you fly, to go easy on what your first meal is after getting off the plane. The first night I was here, I had to sleep sitting up. I had horrible heartburn and when I tried to sleep, I felt like I was going to throw up. I stayed on Liquid Protein the first 2 days I was here.

I am fine now. I will let you know how it goes on the flight home. I am pretty sure I have learned my lesson now though.

Hello ladies and gents. Can I be the poster child for this thread? Almost six months out and only 10lb down! Ouch!!!! I finally sucked it up and decided to start Weight Watchers. It's so easy to follow and it's working well for me. I suppose the "magic" of the band is that I can get full of one Lean Cusine whereas before, it was more of an appetizer.

I know what you mean, Liz! It's much easier to be full on a small meal when we have the band. I sometimes eat those smart ones and before the band, it was like having a little snack. So unfulfilling. I started weight watchers too. I have done well on it before. I love WW because you don't have to deprive yourself. It teaches you to watch your portions. Don't worry! You will begin to lose more each week. Just exercise and stick with the program. I should really be giving myself that advice! LOL! :biggrin:

Do you ladies think it would be unfair to ask my fiancee and my son to sacrifice junk food and keep it completely out of the house? Josh, my fiancee, comes home from work and likes to have a snack of chips or Cookies and Shane, my son, is a junk food-a-holic! I know we ALL need to eat better but I feel guilty asking them to completely give it up when they're not the ones who need to lose weight. I just can't seem to have enough willpower to stay away from the junk when it's in the house. :biggrin:

I have my husband hide it all. He loves junk food and I told him he can buy it but he has to hide it and when he eats it I go for a walk or somewhere where I cannot see him. I have gotten to the point where I can see him and the girls eating it and it does not bother me because if I eat any junk food I get sick, I get headache and dizzy and feel lethargic and cannot think straight and no cookie is worth that.

Hello ladies I am new to this thread. I am a very slow loser; I got my band in June 2007 and I have lost 20 lbs, 10 of which I have lost in the last 2 months.

NJ Gal, Can you put all the junk food in one cabinet and lock it? Give your fiancee one key and son another key and be sure you don;t have the key! Isn't it terrible we have to resort to this?

I don't have kids at home, but anytime there is ice cream or chips in the house, I cannot resist. they just sit in the cabinet and call out to me. We don't have that in the house often because I know I'm weak around them and for Halloween, I insisted we buy candy I hate (Skittles and starburst) and the leftovers are still in the cabinet.

If your cabinet handles aren't the kind you can lock, then maybe a small locking box somewhere for the treats.

My son is getting married Late Sept and I'm worried about finding a dress that fits, which I'll have to buy several months before the wedding for alterations, so really I have five months, about the same time left as you before the event. If I get some restriction soon then I might feel more hopeful I can acheive that goal. But even if I ( or you) can get within 10 pounds of the 50 pound goal, we'll look good! If we aim for fifty and fall a little short, it's better than aiming for thirty pounds and falling short!

I'm pretty good with tracking calories and Protein, but if the scale doesn't move for five days, I do one or two lower calorie days (today I'm doing all liquid protein). Even weight watchers gives suggestions for low calorie days to save points for a weekend event or celebration.

My liquid protein today will be 8am: Atkins shake, 11 am: 1/2 bottle Isopure clear, 2pm: Atkins shake, 5pm: 1/2 bottle Isopure clear, 8pm Atkins shake. 85 gms of protein. 640 calories. If I really feel I need it, I'll have something to bring my calories up to 800.

Cut out photos of beautiful wedding dresses and hang them on the frig and locked (treat) cabinet or bring your scale to the kitchen and get on it before you eat anything! Just as reminders of your goal!

Good Luck and all brides are beautiful! The wonderful family you'll have is just as important as the size of your dress.

Hi Liz. Of course you can. You have seen the light. Joining weight watchers is great but now you have the added tool called the gastric band. I think all of us know we can loose weight, just starve but over a period of time, we put it all back on time and time again. So WW changes your eating habits and the band keeps you honest. Watch the weight start coming off now. Exercise is good, but start off in moderation. There is a fellow from our clinic that cannot exercise due to Spinal Bif(?sp), yet he took of a huge amount of weight and is keeping it off, thanks to the band. So welcome aboard to slow loosers, we need encouragement. I have been exercising and no more than 1 cup of food per meal and yet I have lost nothing since Feb. 01 but I keep trying. Not much else I can do. Good luck Doddie

Hi everyone,

NJ Gal - go for it! Make smaller goals along the way to get you there. If you don't make it, it won't matter because I am sure you will have lost weight and that is the ULTIMATE goal!! You should ask your fiance to hide or not bring home all the goodies. Try and find alternative ones for them to have too that are healthier. I tried it with my sons, 14 and 17. It took awhile but now they will eat cooked chicken breast instead of a sleeve of Cookies.< /p>

I had my 2nd fill yesterday. He added 1.8cc in my 14cc band for a total of 5.8cc. Oh my:eek::smile: What a difference!! I had tuna fish give me such pain today. I need to slow down. How does everyone pace themselves???

NJ Gal, Can you put all the junk food in one cabinet and lock it? Give your fiancee one key and son another key and be sure you don;t have the key! Isn't it terrible we have to resort to this?

I don't have kids at home, but anytime there is ice cream or chips in the house, I cannot resist. they just sit in the cabinet and call out to me. We don't have that in the house often because I know I'm weak around them and for Halloween, I insisted we buy candy I hate (Skittles and starburst) and the leftovers are still in the cabinet.

If your cabinet handles aren't the kind you can lock, then maybe a small locking box somewhere for the treats.

My son is getting married Late Sept and I'm worried about finding a dress that fits, which I'll have to buy several months before the wedding for alterations, so really I have five months, about the same time left as you before the event. If I get some restriction soon then I might feel more hopeful I can acheive that goal. But even if I ( or you) can get within 10 pounds of the 50 pound goal, we'll look good! If we aim for fifty and fall a little short, it's better than aiming for thirty pounds and falling short!

I'm pretty good with tracking calories and Protein, but if the scale doesn't move for five days, I do one or two lower calorie days (today I'm doing all liquid protein). Even weight watchers gives suggestions for low calorie days to save points for a weekend event or celebration.

My liquid protein today will be 8am: Atkins shake, 11 am: 1/2 bottle Isopure clear, 2pm: Atkins shake, 5pm: 1/2 bottle Isopure clear, 8pm Atkins shake. 85 gms of protein. 640 calories. If I really feel I need it, I'll have something to bring my calories up to 800.

Cut out photos of beautiful wedding dresses and hang them on the frig and locked (treat) cabinet or bring your scale to the kitchen and get on it before you eat anything! Just as reminders of your goal!

Good Luck and all brides are beautiful! The wonderful family you'll have is just as important as the size of your dress.

Thanks for the advice shortgal! I know what you mean! It's so bad that I have to have things "locked" away from me...lol! You're right about the weight goal. If I could just be 200 lbs. I would be much happier. Since we both have similar goals and a similar event in a few months, we can be a great support for each other! You must be so excited about your son's wedding!

Thanks to everyone else too for your advice. It ALWAYS helps! :cursing:

I can relate. I have to keep my distance from the treats too. My daughter bought a box of famous amos Cookies. and, since my last fill almost everything I eat gets hung in my throat, but of course, not cookies. I can eat them just fine. Ate way too many of course. It would be so much easier if you didn't have to know it was there. But, willpower has never been a strongpoint for me.

Hello ladies and gents. Can I be the poster child for this thread? Almost six months out and only 10lb down! Ouch!!!!

Sorry Liz, but I'm gonna have to take that poster child spot from you LOL.

In March 2005 I was banded. Within the next year, I lost from 264 lbs to 163 lbs. I was thrilled. I followed that up w/ a Tummy Tuck for the saggy skin and a breast reduction (from G to C) in April 2006.

In Sept 2006 I found out that my band had slipped. I had put on a couple of pounds. No biggie - I was rebanded in Oct 2006.

Its now Feb 2008 and I have steadily gained right back up to 251 lbs.

So since I was banded three years ago, I've lost 13 lbs.

I'm starting over now, so I think this is the group I belong in for sure!

Hi All,

I almost had a shot at poster child with 18mths and no weight loss

I have been missing from the boards as it's a little hard to stay motivated when you are doing the right things and not losing weight. Yeah Yeah, we all hear it, you must be doing something wrong, blah blah...sorry I got tired of it. I went into quiet mode trying to work out what the heck happened & living.

A few people know my history here. Short version, I was banded for 18mths and I didnt lose weight. I didnt lose weight on Optifast either. I have never had the yo yo weight, remaining the same no matter if exercising for daily for months or eating junk. I decided the band was for me. Unfortunitly, it wasnt.

I had pains from the port. I was always sick. I had over 20 adjustments, was always feeling hungry. At times I was hungry but couldnt eat. Yet if I exercised, I suffered the next day from pains, etc. I ate small meals but the weight didnt shift. I felt happy that I tried thought.

Before my first year was up, my surgeon spoke to me about options. I was not ready to listen. Another 6mths down the track he arranged another meeting. This time I was ready to listen, before attending that appointment I started on lite and easy, (dietician meals delivered weekly to your door) the 1200 cal, skipping their breads etc. 3 months on that, no weight loss either.

By now I was frastrated and dis-hearted. Then it was time for that appointment, paying attention knowing I had tried. I was told of the options and had to make a decision, which I didnt rush. 4mths later I had the band removed and the sleeve performed. I am still in recovery and sometimes it pulls but I am so glad I did this. (although last weekend I pull the tummy muscles and its like starting recovery all over again - great as I had just started exercise too - doctor say it may be a cyst too)

I know the band is a great tool for most. I watch friends do very well and I am pleased for them. The band was not for me, and I am pleased with making the change.

I am now over 2mths post op. I dont feel hungry. I am 15kgs down. Just as with the band, its a tool. Its still up to me not to eat poor choices etc.

I did struggle with going ahead with yet another operation. What if there was more failure? etc etc (I will be corrected by my surgeon for calling it failure - but to me I was and I hate that).

I didnt cheat the band, I know that, it wasnt for me. The lite and easy was the final check for me that I wasnt doing the wrong thing. I gave the band a good try now that its out I wish I did this much earlier but life is too short for regrets.

Good luck on your journeys, looks like mine has finally started. I might still be slow losing 15kgs in almost 2 years, but hey I am now losing. I can even start a ticker now. Woohoo

Lisa

Me thinks 2 things....that I posted on here once before and that I am one of THE slowest losers ever. I was banded in 8/07. The first week after surgery I lost 14lbs. Since then (well as of 2/8) I've lost another 12.5lbs. :angry::eek: It's soooo frustrating to me!!! Don't mean to sound like a baby.....but I'm glad I'm not alone and that I have you guys to lean on. :wink2: I do look at the before and afters......I LOVE THEM.....you (they) all look sooo great. :wink_smile: Have a great day everybody!!!

Hi everyone!

Slow loser here too! I try not to let it get to me, but a lot of days it does. I lost only 5 pounds in 5 weeks! I lost more on weight watchers then that. My body is adjusting to the less food and holding the weight! I weighed 298 Dec 19th and now I weigh 286 over 9 weeks later! I started going to a pool and exercising 2-3 times a week for a min of 1 1/2 -2 hours each time. I am trying not to get frustrated but it is very hard. I had one fill so far on Dec 19th and it was soooo painful, I am not looking forward to that again. I go back to the Dr March 5th. I can eat much more then I could right after the surgery, but it's still a small amount. I do have restriction because if I eat too fast or eat something that my pouch doesn't like I throw it up. I just thought I would lose faster with what I am able to eat.

Thanks for listening

Before I was bandedI considered myself a slow loser. I followed weight watchers a couple years ago and it took me 10 months to lose 30 pounds. And of course, half of it came back on very quickly. I got banded before I could gain it all back!

Since I've been banded, I now considered myself an average loser. The band has helped me be more consistent in my daily calorie intake.

I learned a lot at weight watchers about tracking my calories and I use those skills now, until I reach a better level of restriction. I rarely get stuck on food and I eat eggs, chicken, salad, beef, tuna, salmon, apples, popcorn, cooked veggies, fish, yogurt, Cereal, Protein Bars and occassionally whole wheat bread toasted.

Here's what I've learned since being banded. I track my calories and if the scale doesn't go down, I vary my intake. I'll do an 800 calorie day, followed by two or three 1000 or 1100 calorie days. I track my Protein to be sure I get enough.

While we sometimes think being very restricted so we can't eat much is the answer, that can work against us. We'll then eat soft "slider" foods that go through the pouch easier and won't keep us full long enough.

The more solid the food the better.

I have not begun to exercise since surgery (I hope I will get out and walk this spring, like I did last fall before surgery). I'm not perfect and I'm not saying I have all the answers, but for an older, inactive female, I am thrilled with my weight loss since the band and I hope one of the things listed that has helped me, will help one of you.

Hey fellow slow losers!!!

I went for another fill on valentine's day and had gained 2 pounds!!!! UGH:mad: I am soooo frustrated. I have got to get my head back in the game here, but I don't know what I did wrong. I know I didn't have very much restriction and evidently didn't make the right choices But hopefully this last fill might be the trick because I definately have restriction now!!! I've had 1 scrambled egg, 1-8 oz Protein Shake, 1/4 cp smoked pork and 1/4 cp Beans for today and I am so stuffed...My doc said that I would either lose a ton of weight or be back for an unfill. I hope sure he's right about losing the weight.... Just had to vent a little:sad: