Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hello (and a quick bye-bye - I'm going back to bed)

I had my surgery Monday morning.

All went well and the hospital experience was very comforting and I felt very well taken care of.

I think I'll heal quit fast although I'm still quit sore.

I don't feel any restriction - but of course I'm not going to test it at this point. I'm still on my Clear Liquids and sipping so slowly.

I'd love to suck on a Ritz cracker though!

Unfortunately I weighed myself on the first walk down the hospital corridor and was appalled to see my weight bounce up about 8 pounds.

Of course it's the post-surgery fluids and IVs and the weighty EKG monitor I had to wear.

I needed several insulin shots (which surprised me).

They said it was because of trauma to the body but mostly the dextrose drip.

Staples come out in two weeks and my "holes" are larger than I expected.

But - I assume they'll heal to little white lines eventually.

I'll try to visit tomorrow.

My bed is calling me.

All went well and the hospital experience was very comforting and I felt very well taken care of.

I don't feel any restriction - but of course I'm not going to test it at this point. I'm still on my clear liquids and sipping so slowly.

Unfortunately I weighed myself on the first walk down the hospital corridor and was appalled to see my weight bounce up about 8 pounds.

Of course it's the post-surgery fluids and IVs and the weighty EKG monitor I had to wear.

My bed is calling me.

Congrats on your successful banding. Walking really helps with the gas. You will do great!

Welcome to the banded life! Glad everything went well. I think it's normal to gain after surgery, I know I did all those fluids, swelling etc. Don't sweat too much about losing the first 6 weeks, it's time for healing. The losses will come. Congrats!

Hi to All,

So many new friends here and so many posts I have missed since I have had limited computer access! I posted earlier that we had arrived and were awaiting the birth of little grandson. He was born on April 13th - 8 lbs 6 oz - Josiah Charles - beautiful little boy with lots of dark hair. His big brother has been so much fun for us. Josiah's middle name is after DH, so he is quite happy and honored. DD is doing fine, we are back at her home now and beginning to get a handle on a new schedule for the family. I have been walking a lot, also chasing a 2 year old (!) and doing pretty well on my food in spite of a week in a hotel w/every meal out. Stepped on the scale this morning and I've lost 2 pounds since arriving a week ago today. I am pretty happy about that. I have 3 weeks to go here, and my jeans are already baggy... aaawwww...

Elayne, congratulations on your new adventure! You have had to wait a long time, but the extra time you have had will help you in the long run - after all, you have had the advice and counsel of all these wonderful folks on this thread!

DD's computer has been in for repairs (after it was dropped!) so I have been w/o my cyber friends for a whole week. That has been tough! Now we have 4 of us sharing SIL's computer so my time is a little limited. I'll keep up as much as I can, but y'all will probably run way ahead of me!

Edited by JoannMarie

I don't feel any restriction - but of course I'm not going to test it at this point. I'm still on my Clear Liquids and sipping so slowly.

My bed is calling me.

Congratulations on your new journey. I will leave you with the following thought: "Patience would be a lot easier if it didn't take so long to get." :sneaky:

Hi all,

Had surgery a week ago monday........just a few hours ago I started feeling very bloated, hadn't had gas to this point, so I took gasX couple hrs ago, I now have a tightness in the middle of my chest - any ideas, suggestions, etc??? Seems like the band might be tight but I haven't eaten any solid food, just liquids and no cheating at all. Anyone experince something similar? is this kind of normal or not?? thanks, pb

Hey, PB, DB here!! I was banded on 4-06-09 and it took a couple of days for the gas pains to hit, and I don't know if anyone else has had lower back pain, but my Nurse said that was normal also, I got that about 3 days after, but anyway, I still have an occasionally pain in the chest area but it is getting better. Moving as much as possible is the best thing for the gas pains. As far as the band being tight, keep in mind you just had surgery so you are still swollen. I also had the tight feeling but the Dr. said that was from being swollen. But believe me, it does get better! I know sometimes it doesn't feel like it but it does! So hang in there!!

I'm popping in for a few minutes.

Thank you for all the good wishes.

I'm a "different" sore today - but no biggie.

Weather here in Northeastern PA is finally more spring-like.

I think I'll sit on the porch with my needlepoint frame and hope that my 2 dogs enjoy the sun too.

(wow - I missed them)

I had those pressurized things on my legs in the hospital and every time the right leg thingie expanded I thought my black lab was snuggling up against my leg.

I'm not hungry - but I'm coaxing myself to at least sip a fruity Protein Drink.< /p>

Watery Farina never tasted so good although I added a teaspoon of brown sugar.

Heck! I need a treat once in a while.

First shower in a bit if I can get the "guts" to change my dressings right after.

My surgeon is extremely neat with his staples - perfectly straight and more evenly spaced than my orthopedic surgeon.

I hope that he left my "innards" just as he found them.

Bye until maybe tonight.

Hi to All,

So many new friends here and so many posts I have missed since I have had limited computer access! I posted earlier that we had arrived and were awaiting the birth of little grandson. He was born on April 13th - 8 lbs 6 oz - Josiah Charles - beautiful little boy with lots of dark hair. His big brother has been so much fun for us. Josiah's middle name is after DH, so he is quite happy and honored. DD is doing fine, we are back at her home now and beginning to get a handle on a new schedule for the family. I have been walking a lot, also chasing a 2 year old (!) and doing pretty well on my food in spite of a week in a hotel w/every meal out. Stepped on the scale this morning and I've lost 2 pounds since arriving a week ago today. I am pretty happy about that. I have 3 weeks to go here, and my jeans are already baggy... aaawwww...

Elayne, congratulations on your new adventure! You have had to wait a long time, but the extra time you have had will help you in the long run - after all, you have had the advice and counsel of all these wonderful folks on this thread!

DD's computer has been in for repairs (after it was dropped!) so I have been w/o my cyber friends for a whole week. That has been tough! Now we have 4 of us sharing SIL's computer so my time is a little limited. I'll keep up as much as I can, but y'all will probably run way ahead of me!

CONGRATUTLATIONS! Your grandson was born on my DH birthday. He sounds like a living doll.

We miss you! Have a great time and congrats on the weight loss!

Hello All ! How are you guys? I had the staples took out yesterday and ,my, my, my!! I am soo glad that is over!! I also lost 7 pds. so that makes me feel a lot better! I'm still having trouble getting all my Water down, I never was a big Water drinker, so I have to make a conscious effort to make sure I get it all down. Also, all those Vitamins, I have to crush some of them cause they are huge! Any ideas? I could use some help in these areas!! Thank you so much, Miss Leanne, for your post!!! As bad as you feel, and you will start to feel better if you keep hanging out here, you have really helped me for sure as well as anyone esle who reads your post! Bless your heart!! YOU CAN DO THIS !!! We are all here for you!!!

Look for your vitamins/supplements in liquid or chewables. I take Calcium chewables from costco, Centrum Silver Chewables, sub-lingual B-Complex... Wal-Mart has that, Omega 3 in a creamy form... comes in little foil packets... I think RiteAid has them, and sometimes costco (Coramega).

Help !! My hair is getting so thin.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Will it get thick again?

2. Why is it just because I was banded it gets thin. I am eating the same amount of Protein I ate before banding and my hair never thinned out.

I read about something Long2bthin took for Hair loss. Does it keep it from falling out or does it make it grow back.?

I'm not sure it stopped the hair loss as I still felt I lost a lot but it did slow down. And I have lots of new growth coming in I can see under my bangs. I took Biotin, I got it al Walmart and it was cheap. I took 2 a day (there were 2 strengths I got the smaller strength and took 2). I also got some special shampoo/conditioner triple pack at Sally's Beauty supply. I think it was called NutriOx it is their version of Nioxin only much cheaper. It was Shampoo, conditioner and then a leave in treatment. I'm out of all of it now and don't seem to be losing anymore hair so haven't restocked up. Even though I read a lot about hair loss it was still freaky when it happened to me and I saw all that hair in my bathroom.

I think Janet (Indio) said her hairdresser told her it was not enough fat in our diets that contribute to that, too!

3_2_21v.gif

I lost half my hair. I am afraid it's going to keep coming out when I get my revision to sleeve. I can't afford to lose anymore hair!

This is so weird-before i was banded I wrote down my measurements-i have now lost about 44 lbs and dropped two sizes but my measurements haven't changed but about 1 in in the bust and 2 in in the waist. I measured averywhere above the knee, upper thighs, upper arms...etc I jsut can't figure it out. Although i can look in the mirror and tell it in my face and my upper chest area and clothes don't lie either. I went from a 3x to a 1x. Can anybody tell me why??? Also i had my first REAL fill and i am having trouble getting food down-should i go and get some taken out?

Hi, all, I have not posted for sometime. I am working very hard right now. I am continuing to lose slowly (between .75 and 1 lb per week). I feel very good. Can even walk some on my very bad knees without constant pain. I take the lapband Vitamins. I like their convenience and my doctor gives a discount. It is so good to see so many new people. Please check in here often. These ladies and gentlemen have been my life line during darker times. I was stuck for awhile and several of you suggested upping my Protein and it worked. My hairdresser says it is the lack of protein that causes Hair loss.

Well again thank you all.

Dot

Banded 9/29/2009

Lost 63 lbs, 77 more to go!

Good Morning All, Thank you guys so much for the advice on the vitamins! I am going to look for the chewable and liquid and start taking them! Also, Organdaisey, why are you having a sleeve put in? Are you having problems with the band? Just curious.

This is so weird-before i was banded I wrote down my measurements-i have now lost about 44 lbs and dropped two sizes but my measurements haven't changed but about 1 in in the bust and 2 in in the waist. I measured averywhere above the knee, upper thighs, upper arms...etc I jsut can't figure it out. Although i can look in the mirror and tell it in my face and my upper chest area and clothes don't lie either. I went from a 3x to a 1x. Can anybody tell me why??? Also i had my first REAL fill and i am having trouble getting food down-should i go and get some taken out?
I didn't have staples i had super glue-it worked really well and didn't itch like staples do.

I had glue too.

I measured too and the #'s really didn't go down that much till I got close to goal - I don't have those #'s here at work but I remember being shocked that they weren't lower - plus with the loss of the fat - us older gals have the issue of skin so our measurement can differ - If I ordered pants by what my waist measurement is actually (I think a 30 or 31) I would be wearing 10's - I wear a 4 so if I measure those pants it's like a 26-27 waist...

You have gone from a 3 to a 1 so be happy concentrate on those numbers..

Hi, all, I have not posted for sometime. I am working very hard right now. I am continuing to lose slowly (between .75 and 1 lb per week). I feel very good. Can even walk some on my very bad knees without constant pain. I take the lapband Vitamins. I like their convenience and my doctor gives a discount. It is so good to see so many new people. Please check in here often. These ladies and gentlemen have been my life line during darker times. I was stuck for awhile and several of you suggested upping my Protein and it worked. My hairdresser says it is the lack of protein that causes Hair loss.

Well again thank you all.

Dot

Banded 9/29/2009

Lost 63 lbs, 77 more to go!

Hi Dot - You are doing great !!! Congrats on 63 lbs !!!

As to hair loss - I don't think anyone has a real answer and even my doc eluded to that - some say it's surgery - some protein - some biotin- some fat.. I think it's a very individual thing - even pple who get all their protein can lose their hair - I had a gf who did medifast no surgery and she lost tons of hair but got all her Proteins - so it's the luck of the draw imho....

Good Morning All, Thank you guys so much for the advice on the vitamins! I am going to look for the chewable and liquid and start taking them! Also, Organdaisey, why are you having a sleeve put in? Are you having problems with the band? Just curious.

Oregon - was too tight and didn't know it - could eat with no problems - but was getting reflux - she was either stretch her esophagus (sp) or something like that - don't remember the exact issue she had to get unfilled - she is going with sleeve cuz it's most like the band without the maintenance (fill issues) they don't reroute your innars - they just give you a smaller stomach like the band does but it's surgical (cut the majority of your tummy away) Alot of pple who have trouble with their bands are going for the sleeve and some are saying if they knew about it before they would have done it - I have heard that insurance doesn't cover it - but again I read where some do..

If I ever lost my band - I would get the sleeve - would go to mexico where Oregon is going (same doc - he comes highly recommended)