Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi, I'd like to join this group too. I was banded on 8/31/09. Although my family and friends are very supportive, I sometimes feel like I will bore them to death talking about my band! Now this may seem silly but I have a heck of a time figuring out how much I have lost. Do you all count from the very beginning when you started all the presurgery appointments, or are you counting from your surgery date. Logically, I reason that my highest weight was at the very beginning but when I count from there I feel like I am cheating. So, bottom line, on your tickers, are you counting from post surgery?:thumbup:

I counted the weight from my pre-surgery office visit - which was 250 which was my very highest weight in my life

I was 244 when I first met w/my doc on 5/31 and by 7/6 the date of my pre-op visit I was 250 (last meal mentality) - surgery on 7/17 and if I remember correctly I was 242 when I got home from the hospital - I only had 1 week preop diet..

I also count my weight loss from when I started my 2 week pre-op diet.

Lot of new and returning people to this thread. I love the support I get on this and other threads, but I also have found blogging to be very effective in taking a good look at myself and why I eat, and how to deal with the disease. I started my blog pre-surgery. If you're interested you can check it out at IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

I recommend starting with the early posts. I was banded on June 18 and have lost 68lbs. I am 12 lbs from goal.

If you're not a writer, reading about someone else's journey can be an inspiration and make you look more deeply into yourself and your own journey.

Cheri

Cheri, thanks for letting us know about your blog. I've been reading it (since I got to work this morning) and I want to thank you for your positive attitude. It's inspiring!

Heppy Thanksgiving to everybody. I hope you all had a wonderful day.

It was an easy one for me; lazed around most of the day and then went out with my DH, my DS, and his girlfriend to a state park lodge for a buffet dinner. That way I didn't have to cook, and no leftovers to tempt me.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

I got up early and spent the day cooking and cleaning. I had a good dinner with my 2 sons, daughter, son in law and my two grandchildren. I am very grateful and blessed.

I had my second fill a week and a half ago(total 2cc in 4cc band). I am very restricted so only had about 2 bites of each of the dishes I made. It is great to enjoy the taste but not overeat.

Good Journey,

MaggieGT

PS My ticker includes my pre-op diet(20#)

Didn't cook this year. I had my surgery on 10/30 and my daughter had her's on 11/20. So, we did not want ot fix or eat a big meal. The 8 of us, Dh,DD & her Dh and 2 kids, Ds and his Dw all went out to dinner. We brought home 6 doggie bags of food and 8 deserts that came with the meal. I udsed teh bread plate to eat my dinner. I have not had a fill, so I had to keep myself eating small amounts. But..I was plenty full after the small palte of food, and have enough for at least 2 more meals!:thumbup:

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving to all. MAy we all have less to be thankful for nest year!

Hi, I'd like to join this group too. I was banded on 8/31/09. Although my family and friends are very supportive, I sometimes feel like I will bore them to death talking about my band! Now this may seem silly but I have a heck of a time figuring out how much I have lost. Do you all count from the very beginning when you started all the presurgery appointments, or are you counting from your surgery date. Logically, I reason that my highest weight was at the very beginning but when I count from there I feel like I am cheating. So, bottom line, on your tickers, are you counting from post surgery?:thumbup:

I am Bright

I am a woman

I live for my pants to fall off

and get new ones

for me When I walk out of the store with my new size then I am happy

FOR SOME reason..I forget or a blank out my weight....lol

Cheri

Welcome and I will read your blog

To all

MY SIL had a really nice Thanksgiving and I did my share of bringing my share of food

BUT I could not eat because the b,,itchy husband cousin looked at me and said OMG I can see you have really lost weight

do i have to say more

Have a great thanksgiving

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I had a few friends over and it was a lovely evening. I got to taste everything, and was smart enough to send the leftover pumpkin cheesecake home with someone. Lots of leftovers, but all healthy (except a small container of stuffing). The next month will be quite a challenge.

:biggrin::lol::) At my SIL, they asked me to take home the pies..well...:tt1::tt1:one mean cousins wife mentioned that I looked thinner........so would I take pie......noway.....so happy that it is over:wub::wub::wub::wub:

Hi All.... I have been following the other 50's thread but didn't post... Thanks IndioGirl for letting us know about this thread, I am looking forward to your continued encouragement and support you provide for us all... You are an inspriation to us....

I am going in on the 11th for my second fill and am hoping to get some restriction... I got my first fill the end of November and after about a week or so it feels like I haven't had any restriction and I have been able to pretty much eat anything I wanted to with out any problems...

On two occaisions I had food get stuck, but I took a couple of sips of room temperature pineapple juice and after about a minute, plop the food went through... I swear that pineapple juice is magic potion when it comes to food getting stuck..... I bought a six pack of 6 oz cans of Dole Pineapple Juice and keep it on hand... I wouldn't be without it... If I had a purse big enough I would carry a can in it to have when I go out to eat... :hungry:

The scale has not moved in about a month and I admit I have made some bad food choices during the holidays so I'm hoping the fill will help get the scale moving again.... The RV park that we are staying in has a work out room yet I only manage to get there once a week, which is not enough and I need to get my rear in gear and git r done more often..... :biggrin1:

Hopefully this thread will take off as well as the other one did....

Hello Thank you for your honesty. I have had my first fill and still feel like nothing is restricted. I too can eat practically anything. I do take small bites but seem to eat too much. I am not getting full, I just stop eating. Right now I feel like the band is not doing anything yet, I hope it will get better for me after more fills. I am nervous about the PB's and vomiting. I go to the Dr on Monday for another fill. When do you know when it's too tight?

I used to post here a lot too, I left when there began to be so much band bashing awhile ago.

I love my band, was banded 6/5/08, I reached goal in 1 yr. and have been there since. I'd never have made it this far w/o my band. I lost weight in the past but no more than 60 or 70 lbs and always to regain it. What I like about the band is that I can keep my restriction and it's helping keep me at goal. I still get cravings and have treats on occassion. I went from a size 26 to an 8/10 depending on the cut and what it is. I used to hate shopping and now it's my favorite pass time!

Welcome to the new folks!

Hi I am new to these threads but enjoy the information. I was banded on Oct 21st so just about a month. I feel like I can eat too much right now. I get my second fill on Monday so I hope it helps. I have gained about 4 pounds and feel depressed about it. Thank you for your long term information, I look forward to having my band help me feel fuller sooner. Thanks, Becky

Hello Thank you for your honesty. I have had my first fill and still feel like nothing is restricted. I too can eat practically anything. I do take small bites but seem to eat too much. I am not getting full, I just stop eating. Right now I feel like the band is not doing anything yet, I hope it will get better for me after more fills. I am nervous about the PB's and vomiting. I go to the Dr on Monday for another fill. When do you know when it's too tight?

I had several fills before I reached a point of good restriction. So don't be anxious about it yet. As for being too tight... they always have you drink a glass of Water before you leave to make sure you can at least get that down. But if you can't eat hard Protein after a couple of days, you're too tight. If you do happen to PB or vomit... and it will probably happen sooner or later.. it's not like normal vomiting.. The first time it happened to me I started laughing. I'd just eaten some chicken and it all of a sudden just came back up. I started laughing because my husband was freaking out and it just struck my funny bone! It's nothing to be afraid of, really, and you will learn what you can and cannot eat... to keep it from happening. Most importantly, you will learn that you MUST take very small bites and chew thoroughly!

hi, i'd like to join this group too. I was banded on 8/31/09. Although my family and friends are very supportive, i sometimes feel like i will bore them to death talking about my band! Now this may seem silly but i have a heck of a time figuring out how much i have lost. Do you all count from the very beginning when you started all the presurgery appointments, or are you counting from your surgery date. Logically, i reason that my highest weight was at the very beginning but when i count from there i feel like i am cheating. So, bottom line, on your tickers, are you counting from post surgery?:thumbup:

i had several fills before i reached a point of good restriction. So don't be anxious about it yet. As for being too tight... They always have you drink a glass of Water before you leave to make sure you can at least get that down. But if you can't eat hard Protein after a couple of days, you're too tight. If you do happen to pb or vomit... And it will probably happen sooner or later.. It's not like normal vomiting.. The first time it happened to me i started laughing. I'd just eaten some chicken and it all of a sudden just came back up. I started laughing because my husband was freaking out and it just struck my funny bone! It's nothing to be afraid of, really, and you will learn what you can and cannot eat... To keep it from happening. Most importantly, you will learn that you must take very small bites and chew thoroughly!

chew chew is the key

and soft proteins

Thanks for setting up this post for over 50 gang. I was banded 12/08, just had a fill to 8cc. I am half way to capacity.

Since this fill I am having significant reflux, burping liquids, burning in throat. I have lost 5 pounds in one week, can only eat about 5 bites, but I am constantly burping. Prilosec helps, but still having gurgling in my stomach.

Anyone else had this? My dr. wants me to take Carafate 4 x a day, but it causes burning in my throat. Don't know if I should be concerned enough to call Dr.

Up to this fill, I was eating anything and everything and had gained 4 pounds.