Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

lpglarry, I didn't have any trouble with the post-op liquid diet. I think the stomach is still healing from the surgery and I just wasn't hungry. The only downside to the two weeks diet was that I got really tired of sugary-tasting shakes and wanted some things that weren't sweet. (All the Protein powders I had were the sweet variety.) By the end of it, I was really ready for the mushie stage, though, and mushed up food never tasted so good!

You'll do fine!

Whoops, sorry Larry, I mis-read this. POST-op diet...I wasn't hungry at all for about a week...the important thing isn't nutrition, but staying hydrated immediately post-op. I had a 3 week post-op liquid diet of Clear Liquids and some skim milk ONLY (most resticted diet I've ever seen here). I made it through until the last few days I cheated with some Protein Shakes. This period is SO important not to cheat at it's the easiest time to cause band complications including slippage. Your internal stiches holding the stomach around the band need time to heal and this can take 6 weeks or more. That kept me in check. Best Wishes- BG

Larry - Depends on your doc's instructions - I had 10 days each phase - full liquids - mushie - soft & then regular

The full liquids included Soups - I would make a pot of Beans (either pinto or navy bean) and once they were done - I would take the beans out and puree them in the blender and then add that mixture back to the bean broth - Cream of Bean Soup - and it taste so much better than the can stuff -

So my biggest suggetion is to make your own soups and puree them..

My instructions in the beginning was to get 60 grms of Protein in a day - they have unflavored Protein Powder you can add to foods

It is important to get nutrition as you need it for healing and keeping up your strength.. I also had clear Liquid Protein like crystal lite to add to my bottled Water - it has 15 grms of pt - ck out bariaticchoice.com they carry it -

I too go sick of the sweet stuff (hard to imagine but it's true)

Full liquids for me was soups - pudding - pt shake - yogurt

I would say that my hunger wasn't bad the first week but as I healed it came back and after 10 day of liquids - I was ready for mushies..

Edited by IndioGirl55

I was determined to heal right and not cause myself any problems with my band. I also wanted to use the liquid and mushie diet as a time to continue the fast weight loss I'd started with the pre-op diet. Then I hung on by my fingernails and continued to slowly lose weight till my first fill. First fill did nothing so continued hanging on and got another one 2 weeks later which did the trick. I've had one more fill and I think I'm going to try to get another one before Christmas.

For those new, I've lost 57 lbs on my goal of 70 lbs. I was banded June 18.

Follow the advice given here, ask for God's help, blog or journal your food issues (not just your food). When you blow it (and you will) get right back on the horse.

Make sure you follow up and get your fills. Don't be afraid to pb(productive burp or puke back). The band is your friend. It will let you know when you're off track.

This is a journey and mine's not going to end till I die. But I don't want to die of obesity related diseases. Suicide by food.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes, go to whatever lengths, to recover from this addiction.

Hello All,

I'm 12 weeks post-op. I had a little trouble getting fills. So this Tuesday I got my second 1 cc( I have the 4cc band).

I am restricted now:biggrin:.

As ucky as PB is, I am happy I had my first time yesterday.

I was at a meeting with a meal served. Since my fill, I had been on liquids one day, mushies one day and yesterday I could have regular. My band decided otherwise.

I feel like I am finally banded.:bored: And lost 2 pounds since the fill.

Good Journey to all,

MaggieGT

Last night I was verbaly given the recipe for flan that my husbands cousin makes. WHen I write it down I will post it since it is easier and fabulous. I will try to make it without sugar...and give you both but will definitely post shortly her recipe..I take the craziest notes,

My MIl went thru her operation fine and will be going to rehab in a week or two. (After heart procedures in is done in NY)

Girls-

Guys skip over

I got up this morning and for some stupid reason changed my night gown to a pretty night shirt to sit around till leaving to go into the city to see MIL

I look into the full mirror...which I do NOT do...who needs the aggrevation and ugh... my belly is less..good thing but there is a line or indentation from my belly botton down...what does that mean, and the belly is definitely tighter and smaller

thanks

If it is something ugh or whatever you can email me off the boards

BTW- I did lose 11 lbs in two months without exercising..could that be it

TIA......Jolly

Hey, this thread's getting quiet again. I thought I'd drop in and try to get it going. I'm relatively new here---only two months since surgery---but I really like the support of the 50s group. I'm wondering how many of you have thyroid problems. I've been hypothyroid for a long time, and just had to be switched from the Armour thyroid replacment (dessicated pig thyroid) to Synthroid. I've having a terrible time! Want to sleep 12-14 hours a night, depressed, cold all the time. My doctor doesn't want to give me more meds because my lab numbers look ok, even though I feel terrible. I'm also REALLY worried that this will slow down or stop my weight loss.

Anyone else here think their thyroid affects their LB weight loss?

hey guys i am over 50 getting banded on dec, 7,2009. nervous and happy at the same time , How hard is the liquid diet for 2 weeks post op. larry:confused:

I had a 2 day pre-op liquid diet and a 10 day post-op liquid diet. The last week was sheer torture. I was banded on Jun 8, and haven't had a shake since. I went for Protein powder that had high amounts of protien grams so I wouldn't have to drink as many. I highly recommend getting some Unjury chicken broth protein powder. It has 21g protein per serving, provides a shake alternative, and is very comforting after surgery. Another alternative is Isopure Zero Carb Protein Drinks. A 20oz bottle has 42g protein.

Good luck!

...... I'm wondering how many of you have thyroid problems. I've been hypothyroid for a long time....... I've having a terrible time! Want to sleep 12-14 hours a night, depressed, cold all the time. My doctor doesn't want to give me more meds because my lab numbers look ok, even though I feel terrible. I'm also REALLY worried that this will slow down or stop my weight loss.

I'm also hypothyroid. Hypothyroidism does affect weight loss, and also fatigue. Calcium supplements, and sometimes soy, can affect the absorption of your medication, so if you are taking a calcium supplement, allow at least 4 hours before or after taking your medication.

I can't believe it's going to be a year on December 1st that I've been banded. Actually no I can believe it. It's been a ride but worth the weight loss, though only 40 pounds, for someone at this age (50) I would have gained weight this year also.

Best to everyone...

I can't believe it's going to be a year on December 1st that I've been banded. Actually no I can believe it. It's been a ride but worth the weight loss, though only 40 pounds, for someone at this age (50) I would have gained weight this year also.

Best to everyone...

Happy almost Anniversary !!! Yes 40 lbs loss is better than 40 gained ...

I'm wondering how many of you have thyroid problems. I've been hypothyroid for a long time, and just had to be switched from the Armour thyroid replacment (dessicated pig thyroid) to Synthroid. I've having a terrible time! Want to sleep 12-14 hours a night, depressed, cold all the time. My doctor doesn't want to give me more meds because my lab numbers look ok, even though I feel terrible. I'm also REALLY worried that this will slow down or stop my weight loss. Anyone else here think their thyroid affects their LB weight loss?

I've been taking Synthroid for about 2 years. Always cold, too, and was struggling with depression.. now on Sertraline (Zoloft) and much better with that. Still cold all the time though. Weight loss has been very slow but steady.

Hey, this thread's getting quiet again. I thought I'd drop in and try to get it going. I'm relatively new here---only two months since surgery---but I really like the support of the 50s group. I'm wondering how many of you have thyroid problems. I've been hypothyroid for a long time, and just had to be switched from the Armour thyroid replacment (dessicated pig thyroid) to Synthroid. I've having a terrible time! Want to sleep 12-14 hours a night, depressed, cold all the time. My doctor doesn't want to give me more meds because my lab numbers look ok, even though I feel terrible. I'm also REALLY worried that this will slow down or stop my weight loss.

Are you taking your Vitamins? ? D & B's are very important to moods and energy levels too...

Hi, I'd like to join this group too. I was banded on 8/31/09. Although my family and friends are very supportive, I sometimes feel like I will bore them to death talking about my band! Now this may seem silly but I have a heck of a time figuring out how much I have lost. Do you all count from the very beginning when you started all the presurgery appointments, or are you counting from your surgery date. Logically, I reason that my highest weight was at the very beginning but when I count from there I feel like I am cheating. So, bottom line, on your tickers, are you counting from post surgery?:thumbup:

Hi, I'd like to join this group too. I was banded on 8/31/09. Although my family and friends are very supportive, I sometimes feel like I will bore them to death talking about my band! Now this may seem silly but I have a heck of a time figuring out how much I have lost. Do you all count from the very beginning when you started all the presurgery appointments, or are you counting from your surgery date. Logically, I reason that my highest weight was at the very beginning but when I count from there I feel like I am cheating. So, bottom line, on your tickers, are you counting from post surgery?:thumbup:

I use the weight I was when I started the pre-op diet... like the weight from my first appointment with my surgeon. I don't consider that cheating because that's when the journey started... that's when my commitment began.