Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

A carrot, an egg, and a cup of coffee...You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up; she was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with Water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee Beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, ' Tell me what you see.'

'Carrots, eggs, and coffee,' she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hardboiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma. The daughter then asked, 'What does it mean, mother?'

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

'Which are you?' she asked her daughter. 'When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a Fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity?

Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

12_4_38.gif 12_4_38.gif 12_4_38.gif

Hi all,

I am Karen. I had my Lap on Oct 30 2009. I am 61 years old. I had to go through the 6 months diet before getting approved by my insurance,(Aetna). I feel good about the experience. I have lost 38 pounds since April. I guess I lost 3 pounds since the Lap. I hoep to follow your aite and get to know others in my age group. Karen

Hi all,

I am Karen. I had my Lap on Oct 30 2009. I am 61 years old. I had to go through the 6 months diet before getting approved by my insurance,(Aetna). I feel good about the experience. I have lost 38 pounds since April. I guess I lost 3 pounds since the Lap. I hoep to follow your aite and get to know others in my age group. Karen

Welcome, Karen!

Good to have you join us.

I used to work for Aetna health insurance as a precert nurse. That was in Oklahoma City. It was Prudential when I started working, then they sold out to Aetna and they eliminated most of the RN jobs in OKC.

There is also a 60+ thread... not quite as active as this one, but you might want to check it out.

You had a GREAT pre-op loss! You'll probably lose slowly at first. But it will pick up after you have a fill, or two, or three! LOL!

When considering plastic surgery ladies, don't forget Monterrey Mexico! I am very happy with the work I had done there, (face lift and arms), and will be glad to provide contact information. I had great care and great results for about 1/3 of the cost in US even considering travel and hotel expenses. I think Costa Rica with the experience they have there would also be a viable choice, but prices seemed a good bit more expensive, plus I had my lap bands done in Monterrey and was familiar with the agents that refer to Monterrey. I love the city also, though I missed the former driver a lot. I had a lovely sitter for the first few days when I was healing. She took great care of me and I hired her to be my travel guide more or less the last few days I was there. :drool: If anyone wants more info just let me know and my pics are posted in my profile.

I may go back for a touch up next summer, I am not sure at this point.

Corliss

Phyllser,

You look great. I just looked at your photos. You have really come a long way. I hope to be as successful. I think that I have a great network, too. Karen:thumbup:

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I'm 55, and was banded on Sept. 18, 2009. Reading this forum has been so inspirational! I really thank all the long-term bandsters for posting here; it really helps me to read about your journeys.

My first fill is just a few days away, and I'm hoping I'll start losing faster. I've lost 22 lbs so far, but mostly that was from the post-op liquid diet. It seems that at times I can eat just about anything, but other times I have some restriction. At first I was discouraged, but now I'm feeling better about the whole thing and realize that this is a long-term solution.

Exercise has been the hardest thing for me to add in, but I started on a walking and elliptical program yesterday and hope I can keep it up. I have some knee problems and walking aggravates them a bit.

Cheers!

Hi Deb,

Sounds like you are doing great. I am still on the Clear Liquids diet. I will be real happy at the end of the week, when I can start regular liquids, too. Good luck, and keep the faith!

I would like to join your group. I just turned 50 last week. I was banded in May and love it. I have been on a plateau for several weeks now, but will have my 2nd fill on Monday and looking forward to it. GB

Hi, just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Judy and I am a Tulsa realtor also! I haven't been banded, but am in the process of the six month diet required by my insurance company. Looks like it will be March before I can have my surgery. I plan to use Dr Fisher with Surgical Associates. I read some of your posts and it looks like you are doing great. :thumbup: Is there any kind of support group that you attend? I haven't even gone to a seminar yet, so I guess I will learn all about it when I do. Anyway, it sure is nice to know there is someone near me who has undergone the surgery.

Judy

I have a support group with my Drs. ofc. I haven't been yet, as I am just in my 1st week. If you read my post, I also, went through the 6th month dieting. It was kind of tough, but knowing that I had to weigh in, and wanted this in the long run made it easier. I think, at least. My doctor helped me with a 1/2 diet pill a day, Phentermine.

Also, going to a nutritionist who gave me guidelines and a diet to follow, helped at lot. Good luck, Karen

I would appreciate any advice. I was banded 7-22-09 with a realize band that holds 12 cc; have had two fills and am at 7cc. I am now loosing a pound a week, (total 40)which I am happy with because excerzing is now only about twice a week due to a back injury. The doctor schedules fills once a month. I try not to test my band so I can't really say it is the band stopping me from eating, It's more mental. Question? should I have another fill? How do people figure out their sweet spot? about how much weight needs to be lost before it should be tighten just to keep the restruction the same? I would appreciate any of you thoughts.

Here's a great site to get healthy recipes !!

"Healthified" chicken Pot Pie - Special Occasions - Eat Better America

(click this and it will take you to the site)

Just think how doable healthy eating really is even in your weight loss phase

Day #1

3 meals @ 300 calories = 900 cal

3 Snacks @ 100 cal each = 300

300 + 900 = 1200 cal

Day #2

2 meals @ 200 Each and 1 meal @ 300 = 700

3 snacks @ 100 cal each = 300

700 + 300 = 1000

Day #3

BF 150 cal - lunch 200 - dinner 300 = 650

2 snacks @ 100 Each = 200

650 + 200 = 850

varie your calories daily - make sure you get 4-5 days of exercise (physical activity)

#1 rule

REMOVE THE WORD HOPE FROM YOUR VOCABULARY

REPLACE IT WITH" I WILL !!!"

Healthy Eating

+

Exercise

+

Band

=

Success

Edited by IndioGirl55

Hi everyone, I'm yet another newbie! I was also banded on 10/29/09 and am still on clear liquids, though am hoping after I see my surgeon tomorrow to have stitches out that I'll get the go-ahead to at least have full liquids and finally a Protein Shake. It's amazing how much something so small seems so big.

I'm 55 years old, live in CT and lost 48 lbs on Weight Watchers before actually having surgery, so I know I won't be losing as much as fast post-op, but it's still coming off. It's hard not to hop on the scale twice a day to see if there are changes!

So glad to have found the spot for those my own age, and look forward to getting to know you all.

Hi everyone, I'm yet another newbie! I was also banded on 10/29/09 and am still on clear liquids, though am hoping after I see my surgeon tomorrow to have stitches out that I'll get the go-ahead to at least have full liquids and finally a Protein Shake. It's amazing how much something so small seems so big.

I'm 55 years old, live in CT and lost 48 lbs on Weight Watchers before actually having surgery, so I know I won't be losing as much as fast post-op, but it's still coming off. It's hard not to hop on the scale twice a day to see if there are changes!

So glad to have found the spot for those my own age, and look forward to getting to know you all.

:wink2::thumbup:WELCOME TO THIS THREAD:thumbup::unsure:

I do not think that I am losing enough but yesterday my jeans fell down...my DH laughed his a$$ off:rolleyes2::w00t::rolleyes2:

Yet the scale is not so kind... and he even mentioned (who never mentions a thing// that my face is so much thinner)

so who cares about the scale

New Motto

:crying::wub::crying::wub:Let the clothes fall off:wub::wink2::wub::blink:

:yikes::wub::woot::wub:they will hide the results on the scale:wub::eek::wub::frown:

:sad::wub::eek::wub:or:w00t:Moon over NY:scared2::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Good for you. Yeah! It's pretty good when you can take clothes off without unbuttoning and unzipping. I did that several times yesterday, too.

Good for you. Yeah! It's pretty good when you can take clothes off without unbuttoning and unzipping. I did that several times yesterday, too.

That's been happening to me a lot. Or elastic waist with drawstring and you have to pull the drawstring as tight as you can so the pants will stay up. That's when it's time to go shopping!