Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Do you see my signature pic? Those other ladies in the photo are Lapband FRIENDS that I have met on THIS site... we get together yearly (since 2007) now on our Bandiversaries to encourage each other and share fellowship..:redface:

Vancouver Island is beautiful... you are SO lucky! I used to live in Victoria 31 years ago (married to a Sailor!)

Yes, keep those skinny clothes... you'll get into them but reward yourself with some NEW along the way too!!

Clothes can then become your NEW addiction LOL:redface:

Hi Peaches are you happy that you got banded and have you got any advice for a new guy about to start the journey?

Do you see my signature pic? Those other ladies in the photo are LAP-BAND® FRIENDS that I have met on THIS site... we get together yearly (since 2007) now on our Bandiversaries to encourage each other and share fellowship..:redface:

This is a wonderful thing that you have all found each other. Keep up the encouragement with each other.

I was banded on 6/17/09 and it has been going pretty slow the last couple of months, I am not discouraged just would like it to move on a little faster, but I will get there.

Hi everyone. I'm within 13 or 14 lbs of goal and my weight loss is slowing. I am getting comments about looking not just beautiful but sexy, and my husband told me I'm walking with some 'tude. LOL. I'm also walking at least 3 miles in an hour almost each day. Blood pressure is 110 over 168. I can climb up 47 steps at work without getting winded. I'm down to size 14 pants and a size L top. I was a size 20 and 2X. I'm down from 237 to 181. At 5'9" and 57 yrs old I look and feel normal.

All of you can do it. Follow the food protocol. Get advice on this and other threads. Journal or start a blog to deal with all related issues.

Cheri

Hi Take Charge Time,

Welcome to our group. Who's your doctor?

Banding is that added help that takes us from a lifetime of gaining/losing/gaining/losing. You can lose it for the last time :redface:

I love Vancouver.:smile2: We've been there twice in the last 5 years.

My sister-in-law lives in bellingham, wa.

Good Journey to you,

Maggie

Hi,

I would like to join the group. I am 51 Nd just had surgery on Nov 12,2009. I would like to talk w/other people my own age because we do have different issues. I look forward to the help and encouragement!

You are right Phyl - we use to post here more often and I guess we should make the effort - but sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day :0) - I know that there is no one left who was here on this tread when I 1st joined in 07..

Welcome newbies !!! Phyl & Candice & I are all Lucky #7 (banded 7/07) and we are also in the 50+ age bracket :redface:)

Yes our issue are diff than the younger ones - we have been at this a lot longer - we have lost and regained for the most of our lives.. Also for us I think we want to improve the quality of our lives as we want to extend the years we have left and if we stay morbidity obese - we are cutting the chance of that..

I was banded at 52 - reason - wanted to improve the quality of my life - I want to be around to see my grandkids grow up and maybe in a few more years see some great grandkids.

Our bands are only tools - they don't make our food choices

My #1 suggestion to all is always keep a food diary - this is a great learning tool - you need to know the amount of calories that you are consuming in a day - you don't have to do this for the rest of your life (some do - I quit after I got to goal)

#2 is exercise or some kind of physical activity..

I think also that us in the 50+ understand that this is really a lifetime lifestyle change in our eating - we have heard this a million times before - but for me it really sunk in once I was banded - I finally figured out that my normal eating is what got me fat in the 1st place - This is truly about eating healthy and yes you can still have treats but not every day and not a bag of candy or 1/2 cake - but one candy bar or 1 slice of cake - it's not that 1 candy bar or slice of cake that got us fat in the first place - it cuz we ate the whole darn bag or whole cake :0)..

Also it's important to eat your hard Protein first so that you do fill up faster - be aware of slider foods - they are the biggest enemy against our bands as they slide right on thru and within 15 minutes we are hungry again...

Well I gotta get my butt in gear - I'm at work so I better get busy..

CBL

Hi, Salty and welcome. Welcome to Take Charge Time, too! I'm relatively new here too; am 55 and was banded on Sept. 18. I've had my ups and downs, but the overwhelming part of LB surgery has been positive.

I come onto these forums so I can get help and encouragement, and I love reading the success stories.

The hardest part of this thing has been adding exercise to my life! I do a lot of things, but mostly everything I love to do is sedentary---reading, knitting, sewing, quilting. So I'm trying to add some movement in there. I've been walking, and trying to use my elliptical (gawd, that thing is hard!). But I'm not consistent at it yet. I did buy some exercise tapes, the T-Tapp system, but I've done the workout a giant whopping one time! :redface: So I'm fessing up to you guys what a couch potatoe I am, but I'm making a new commitment to exercising for at least a 1/2 hour every day.

Cheers!

Hi Salti

Welcome

Two years ago we went on a summer vacation to Vermont and this summer we were supposed to do the New Hampshire route but things do not always work out

That is a nice part of the country except in winter, as in New York it is COLD

Everyone..I am a little (alot) of stress but wouldn't it be wild if we all emailed each other from the boards or posted our favorite EASY Thanksgiving recipe...or memory

Butternut Squash

Cut in half - scoop out the seeds - put in glass container add some Water - cover w/plastic wrap - cook in microwave for 20 (depending on size) - remove - scoop out squash into a bowel - spray with I can't beleive it's not butter - wala side dish :0) - Family tradtional side for me :0)

I used to post here a lot too, I left when there began to be so much band bashing awhile ago.

I love my band, was banded 6/5/08, I reached goal in 1 yr. and have been there since. I'd never have made it this far w/o my band. I lost weight in the past but no more than 60 or 70 lbs and always to regain it. What I like about the band is that I can keep my restriction and it's helping keep me at goal. I still get cravings and have treats on occassion. I went from a size 26 to an 8/10 depending on the cut and what it is. I used to hate shopping and now it's my favorite pass time!

Welcome to the new folks!

Butternut Squash

Cut in half - scoop out the seeds - put in glass container add some Water - cover w/plastic wrap - cook in microwave for 20 (depending on size) - remove - scoop out squash into a bowel - spray with I can't beleive it's not butter - wala side dish :0) - Family tradtional side for me :0)

perfect timning. i bought a butterniut squash the other day and was not sure how i was going to fix it...

Hi Peaches are you happy that you got banded and have you got any advice for a new guy about to start the journey?

Yes fellow CANUK, I am VERY happy that I got banded... If i had any regrets is that I didn't find out about it sooner!!! I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on weight loss schemes... without any permanent success.

With Lapband, you will be successful... providing you EAT like a BANDSTER and follow the rules prescribed by your LB doctor..

Many here can give you good sound advise as we are two to three years out.

What Janet says is very important. THE BAND DOES NOT CHOOSE OUR FOOD... we still are responsible for that! Your quantities will be much smaller, you just cant eat the volume that you used to... you may grieve its loss once in a while (we all miss our food, drug of choice) but once you start feeling better, exercise more and look GREAT in your OLD wardrobe it will all be worth it.

Did you also consider the Gastric Sleeve??? Just curious:sleep:

hey guys i am over 50 getting banded on dec, 7,2009. nervous and happy at the same time , How hard is the liquid diet for 2 weeks post op. larry:confused:

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to this board too and am glad to see some 'old timers' still here for advice. We do have different issues and motivations than the younger crowd.

Deb- I blogged here this week about getting started with exercise, so I'm right where you are.

lpg- Sorry, I can't help much as my doc didn't have a pre-op diet, but he made up for it with the hardest post-op one I've ever seen here. I've heard from many that the hunger gets easier after about day 4 so stick with it...it's so worth it...you are so worth it.

-BG