Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

OK, ladies. I have been on this site for a year since my surgery. I have had a steady wt. loss and have not faltered from my new eating. Now,I get to what my weight has been for the past 10 years and I stop losing weight, I start eating things I haven't eaten in a whole year. I'm beginning to think I am afraid to go lower then my weight of the past 10 years! I can't figure out why I am sabotaging my progress. I haven't lost any weight since March. I really need to lose another 30-40 lbs. Has this happened to anyone else?

Volunteering is something my hubby and I were talking about for me today. He does not want me to go back to work, he told me that. But he would agree to me spending some time volunteering at something that is worthwhile. I am thinking the local rec center. They have children's programs that would be fun to work at.

I agree with the posts that exercise is very important. I don't think I would have the positive results I have had without exercising every day. I plan to keep it up too because I think that is the secret to maintenance also.

I find I get really bored really fast with exercising though. I have to change it up quite often or I lose motivation. I have been going to the gym and running every day but am so bored with that. I started going to the outdoor track/football field today and doing laps there and doing the stairs on the bleachers. It was nice to be outside.

I find also that I have to keep making goals and rewards to keep motivated also. It gets easy to get lazy both with exercise and diet. I can see it will be very easy to slip back into the same old habits that got me in the overweight fix in the first place.

Being banded is certainly different than I thought it was going to be. But I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact I have nightmares about being without my band. It is not a pleasant thought.

Have a great rest of the day!

Dottie R.

OK, ladies. I have been on this site for a year since my surgery. I have had a steady wt. loss and have not faltered from my new eating. Now,I get to what my weight has been for the past 10 years and I stop losing weight, I start eating things I haven't eaten in a whole year. I'm beginning to think I am afraid to go lower then my weight of the past 10 years! I can't figure out why I am sabotaging my progress. I haven't lost any weight since March. I really need to lose another 30-40 lbs. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yep, I have only lost one lb since April. I don't know what the problem is. I did have a cortisone shot in April, but I don't think that is the problem. I just can't seem to get back on track. I have even thought I need to join WW. I need someone to answer to every week. Got any ideas?:biggrin:

Statistics say that in most cases, people only lose 50% of their excess weight with the band. There are people who have proved that to be wrong though.

Statistics say that in most cases, people only lose 50% of their excess weight with the band. There are people who have proved that to be wrong though.

I am happy with my weight loss, even though I did not lose what I had originally decided upon.. All set for getting my body lift the end of the month. Too much saggy skin all the way around!! getting very excited

Being banded is certainly different than I thought it was going to be. But I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact I have nightmares about being without my band. It is not a pleasant thought.

Have a great rest of the day!

Dottie R.

How is being banded different than you thought it would be? Did it meet your expectations or did those change after the band? This is such a potentially life changing event and I am curious on how it affects people.

I wonder if our bodies insist on being at a specific weight for a while to give it a rest before resuming the weight loss. I know that sounds a little crazy, but maybe the mind/body needs the time to adjust. Just a thought.

Don't get me wrong, I would have surgery again in a second. It has done nothing but enhance my life and I am very, very happy with my band.

However, with that said..............I thought I was fully educated on the Lap Band procedure and how life would be post surgery. However I must have bought into more of the "magic bullet" frame of mind than I thought.

It has been a lot of work to lose this weight. I am working harder at maintaining this way of life than I ever did before surgery. Almost every aspect of my thought process has changed about food and exercise. I know to maintain my weight loss I have to maintain those changes. I have to eat sensibly and exercise consistently, there is no easy way around weight loss, no matter how you do it.

I get really frustrated with people who tell me I cheated and took the easy way out. From where I stand this is the hardest thing I have undertaken. It is a way of thinking with the general public that needs to be changed, which is why I decided to go totally public with my journey, become a support group leader and be a self appointed educator on the Lap Band Journey, :biggrin:

Dottie R.

Dridlen,

I'm betting those people who say you took the easy way out either are not dealing with their weight issues or have no weight issue. Some of us just can't lose and/or maintain without a tool to help us. I have friends who eat 3-4 times what I do and don't weigh what I do. We eat together and exercise together. Our lives aren't different, our bodies are. My sister did lose her excess weight through diet and exercise but three years later she is in hell. She is so hungry all the time it is only a matter of time till she starts gaining. Perhaps a band would have been a better choice, perhaps she would be a mite less hungry! Let them walk in our/shoes before they tell us it's the easy way.

Liz

Yep, I have only lost one lb since April. I don't know what the problem is. I did have a cortisone shot in April, but I don't think that is the problem. I just can't seem to get back on track. I have even thought I need to join WW. I need someone to answer to every week. Got any ideas?:biggrin:

Dont bother with WW, Find accountability HERE...

Pick an online buddy and SUBMIT your food JOURNAL to that person - daily.... it'll keep you focused and answerable to a like minded individual..

I belong to another thread, and that is what we do there... the Maintainers... goal is to stay the same over the course of a month, the wanna- lose -some -more -gals post their daily calories eaten and calories burned by working out...

We even get a small challenge going now and then... say 5 lbs per month... the LOSERS get to post their victory and the others have to BOW DOWN TO THEM...

its kinda fun, more fun thanWW ever was!!!

Good luck!

sample....

CALORIES/CARBS/FAT/PROTEINnt3_totals2.jpg890/86/34/62 nt3_dailygoal2.gif 1,000 - 1,100/163 - 236/32 - 56/60 - 127 nt3_remaining_today2.gif 110 - 21077 - 1500 - 220 - 65

Dont bother with WW, Find accountability HERE...

Pick an online buddy and SUBMIT your food JOURNAL to that person - daily.... it'll keep you focused and answerable to a like minded individual..

I belong to another thread, and that is what we do there... the Maintainers... goal is to stay the same over the course of a month, the wanna- lose -some -more -gals post their daily calories eaten and calories burned by working out...

We even get a small challenge going now and then... say 5 lbs per month... the LOSERS get to post their victory and the others have to BOW DOWN TO THEM...

its kinda fun, more fun thanWW ever was!!!

Good luck!

sample....

CALORIES/CARBS/FAT/PROTEINnt3_totals2.jpg890/86/34/62 nt3_dailygoal2.gif 1,000 - 1,100/163 - 236/32 - 56/60 - 127 nt3_remaining_today2.gif 110 - 21077 - 1500 - 220 - 65

Thanks, Peaches.

Susan, do you remember the "set-point" theory people were talking about a few years ago? The premise is: our bodies respond to lower calories/increased exercise by losing weight. At a certain point, the body plateaus - hangs on to every single fat molecule we have. then begins to lose again - oops, another plateau (this time longer), etc., etc. A study was done (don't remember by whom) in which the researcher looked at those plateaus and compared them with the life/obesity stories of the patients. They found that in most cases, the plateaus occured at approximately the point where the patient weighed that specific weight for a long period of time. In other words, if the person weighed 185 for a period of 3-4 years, then began to gain, in the diet process 185 seemed to be the point where that person reached a plateau. It was considered a set-point, as if the body became comfortable at that weight, and it was considering staying there for a while. The length of time the plateau took to break varied according to the length of time the person was at that weight originally. In other words, if you were at 185 for 4 years it might take a month or two to get going again - but if you were there for 10 years it might take longer before you were able to move on. Of course, I can't remember the part of the study where it made suggestions as to what to do about this!!! Try googling "set-point diet" and see if anything comes up about this research - maybe it was a book - I just don't remember. Meanwhile - suggestion - up your Protein even more, and increase/change your exercise routine. Try some new stuff at the gym or outside when the weather is nice. Add weight training, join a spin class (my dd highly recommends that - says the pace is set entirely by YOU), try jogging if your joints permit that, swim - just add something to your regular routine that will get you out of the rut. Many people have tried the 5-Day Pouch Test - which basically takes you back to the beginning days of banding. Try googling 5 Day Pouch Test, I've heard from several people that kinda jumpstarted things again. Maybe your body just needs a little jolt to get it moving again...

I think I am in a weekly plateau situation. I seem stuck every week!:smile2:

Good luck!

Susan, do you remember the "set-point" theory people were talking about a few years ago? The premise is: our bodies respond to lower calories/increased exercise by losing weight. At a certain point, the body plateaus - hangs on to every single fat molecule we have. then begins to lose again - oops, another plateau (this time longer), etc., etc. A study was done (don't remember by whom) in which the researcher looked at those plateaus and compared them with the life/obesity stories of the patients. They found that in most cases, the plateaus occured at approximately the point where the patient weighed that specific weight for a long period of time. In other words, if the person weighed 185 for a period of 3-4 years, then began to gain, in the diet process 185 seemed to be the point where that person reached a plateau. It was considered a set-point, as if the body became comfortable at that weight, and it was considering staying there for a while. The length of time the plateau took to break varied according to the length of time the person was at that weight originally. In other words, if you were at 185 for 4 years it might take a month or two to get going again - but if you were there for 10 years it might take longer before you were able to move on. Of course, I can't remember the part of the study where it made suggestions as to what to do about this!!! Try googling "set-point diet" and see if anything comes up about this research - maybe it was a book - I just don't remember. Meanwhile - suggestion - up your Protein even more, and increase/change your exercise routine. Try some new stuff at the gym or outside when the weather is nice. Add weight training, join a spin class (my dd highly recommends that - says the pace is set entirely by YOU), try jogging if your joints permit that, swim - just add something to your regular routine that will get you out of the rut. Many people have tried the 5-Day Pouch Test - which basically takes you back to the beginning days of banding. Try googling 5 Day Pouch Test, I've heard from several people that kinda jumpstarted things again. Maybe your body just needs a little jolt to get it moving again...

I think I am in a weekly plateau situation. I seem stuck every week!:smile2:

Good luck!

Thanks Joann for the info. I had never heard about the set point theory. Very Interesting. I will google the set point diet. I was at this weight for about five years , so maybe I will be here for a few more weeks. I hope it is a plateau I am on.

I am beginning to think I should have gone with the gastric by-pass and that this lap band system has failed me. I have been playing with 10 pounds up and down for many months. The doc says no more snacking, no sweets, count calories, South Beach type dieting, and lots of exercise. I never knew that I would have to do those things after lab band surgery and it was only a tool.

On the positive side though. I have lost at least 80 pounds total and was a BMI of over 53 when I started, I am now at 43.8. Most of the weight came off with the 4 week liquid pre-surgery diet and the soft 6 week post surgery diet. I am feeling healthier, medical tests show better results on liver, sugar, and other health levels. I'm taking less medicines. I'm down 2 sizes and able to walk distances without pain. I can now wear regular shoes again with regular ladies socks. My left ankle is still swelling but my feet are not turning purple anymore. I am happy that I feel better but I still need to loose 100 pounds. I want to see that come off after going through all of this. I am back here after not visiting this site for 6 months for support and a reminder to stick with it.

JoannMarie, you got me curious here. What is that 5 day Pouch test?:smile2:

I was banded August 08. So far lost 60 lbs and I am happy with what I am today.

I am on a plateau since June (172 lbs +- 1 lbs) If I could break it without killing myself with exercises that would be a plus... So what is 5-Day Pouch test thing?

** For all of you reading my message, I really appreciate ALL your comments. I am here by myself (no body to talk about Lapband except my HB). Thank God for the Internet. No matter the distance, I feel warmth from you, my sisters Lapbanders :)

** sorry for my English, I am French :wink2:**

Suzanne

I am beginning to think I should have gone with the gastric by-pass and that this lap band system has failed me. I have been playing with 10 pounds up and down for many months. The doc says no more snacking, no sweets, count calories, South Beach type dieting, and lots of exercise. I never knew that I would have to do those things after lab band surgery and it was only a tool.

On the positive side though. I have lost at least 80 pounds total and was a BMI of over 53 when I started, I am now at 43.8. Most of the weight came off with the 4 week liquid pre-surgery diet and the soft 6 week post surgery diet. I am feeling healthier, medical tests show better results on liver, sugar, and other health levels. I'm taking less medicines. I'm down 2 sizes and able to walk distances without pain. I can now wear regular shoes again with regular ladies socks. My left ankle is still swelling but my feet are not turning purple anymore. I am happy that I feel better but I still need to loose 100 pounds. I want to see that come off after going through all of this. I am back here after not visiting this site for 6 months for support and a reminder to stick with it.

I am glad you are back!