Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hey gang:

I have a question for those of you who still get the TOM. I was banded on 12/1/09 I am age 50 and doing so well, exercising eating healthy then bam....got my period again after 3 months of freedom and all havoc broke loose. My appetite came back full force (as it always did when i was pmsing) craving were uncontrollable but my poor band was super sensitive so consequently I was in bad shape. Throwing up and getting stuck alot. I have an appt. to see the fill doc. At this point though still have it...I don't know what to do . The thought of another fill (I'm on second) (2nd was a charm up till now) scares me but I've already gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks.

Also anyone get a diagnosis of LOW Iron and Low Vit D? I am on Iron pills and Vit D supplements and sure enough the Constipation is a hardship too. I don't eat meat but used to eat Chicken...now my band doesn't like it....doesn't like Salmon either. Any ideas on Iron rich foods>> ??? anyone?

Hey gang:

I have a question for those of you who still get the TOM. I was banded on 12/1/09 I am age 50 and doing so well, exercising eating healthy then bam....got my period again after 3 months of freedom and all havoc broke loose. My appetite came back full force (as it always did when i was pmsing) craving were uncontrollable but my poor band was super sensitive so consequently I was in bad shape. Throwing up and getting stuck alot. I have an appt. to see the fill doc. At this point though still have it...I don't know what to do . The thought of another fill (I'm on second) (2nd was a charm up till now) scares me but I've already gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks.

Also anyone get a diagnosis of LOW Iron and Low Vit D? I am on Iron pills and Vit D supplements and sure enough the Constipation is a hardship too. I don't eat meat but used to eat Chicken...now my band doesn't like it....doesn't like Salmon either. Any ideas on Iron rich foods>> ??? anyone?

Sooverit...sorry to hear of the troubles you are having. Sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now. I would call your doc and get in to see him.

Here's some iron rich foods that might work for you:

Oysters, clams, mussels, sardines, shrimp, cooked Beans or lentils, pumpkin seeds, blackstrap molasses, dried prunes/raisins, artichokes, watermelon, prune juice. I have heard that eating Vitamin C enriched foods along with iron rich foods will allow iron rich to better absorb.

Hope this helps and hoping things settle down for you soon.

Hello. I am wanting to have the Lapband. Have had seminar, psych, nutrition, 6 mths waiting, now waiting....

I am 55 and 260" 41 BMI. Have been "heavy" all my life. Just tired of carrying the extra load. Everything hurts. I am sure none of you have heard that before huh?

But one of the things I am scared to death about is that hanging skin. I saw a picture of someone that looked worse after the Lapband than before due to the hanging skin. I don't want to get my hopes up about looking better if that is not going to happen due to hanging rolls of skin everywhere.

Any input/feedback would be appreciated.

Anxious in Indiana.

Cat:confused:

Hello. I am wanting to have the Lapband. Have had seminar, psych, nutrition, 6 mths waiting, now waiting....

I am 55 and 260" 41 BMI. Have been "heavy" all my life. Just tired of carrying the extra load. Everything hurts. I am sure none of you have heard that before huh?

But one of the things I am scared to death about is that hanging skin. I saw a picture of someone that looked worse after the Lapband than before due to the hanging skin. I don't want to get my hopes up about looking better if that is not going to happen due to hanging rolls of skin everywhere.

Anxious in Indiana.

Cat

The saggy skin isn't going to kill you but being obese it..

Heck we are 50+ you think any of us look like we're 25 and got hot bodies - heck I know that for me weighing 250 with a bmi of 42.9 in a bathing suit wasnt a pretty sight nor in clothes...

So ya i'm not a bathing beauty in a bathing suit - but I wasn't before - Gotta say I look pretty damn good if I do say so myself dressed and that's how pple see you anyway...

IMHO don't worry about the skin issues - that's what they make plastic surgery for and it some times will be covered my insurance if medically necessary..

Orea, good luck to hubby on the job!

Charlene, sounding good on DH's surgery, got my fingers crossed

Okay so I have discovered something weird. I got 2 email notifications for the 50's thread of new posts, BUT they are different threads. One is this one that says www.lapbandtalk.com.... and the other says instead of www, it has beta.lapbandtalk.com The one that says Beta says I haven't visited in a while and is missing posts. What's up with that? And they are not the same, Orea and Charlene posted there and JAnet here and their posts are not in both threads. Which do I use??? Is it just me??

Anxious in Indiana.

Hey Cat,

I am 50 and was just banded 2 weeks ago. I was worried about that a little bit too but if you do some weight training to tone the skin as you loose it will help a tremedous amount. I used to work out all the time and one of my trainers told me that my muscles are still in good shape so I joined curves to weight train and tone while I am losing. Good Luck. Hope this helped.:tongue2:

Well, I am puzzled. Two forums? I hope they get that straightened out so we don't miss posts.

And BTW we are still waiting for that "tomorrow" call that was supposed to come yesterday. GRRR

I have a physical this afternoon. Yuck.

Orea, I know where you are coming from with the "no-call" situation. Business HR departments leave a lot to be desired these days. It has been like that for years. When DH was looking in the late-90's it was the same thing. Now with internet applications that are insisted upon but never acknowledged, and interviews that seem like they never happened - WTH??? It is shameful.

Hopes and prayers continue from all of your friends...

it's weird. I have the box checked to receive email notifications for lapbandtalk and I don't get emails.

I unchecked the box so I don't get emails on sleeve talk and there, I get them. the whole thing is so strange.

Just wanted to say hi! I was banded in Mar 08. I am below goal and learning maintenance with the band. It is a whole different ball game and I am still trying to wrap my head around not seeing the scale move down most days.

I think this forum is great, I love reading posts from bansters that are my age.

Dottie R.

Just wanted to say hi! I was banded in Mar 08. I am below goal and learning maintenance with the band. It is a whole different ball game and I am still trying to wrap my head around not seeing the scale move down most days.

I think this forum is great, I love reading posts from bansters that are my age.

Dottie R.

Congrats on exceeding your goal! You are an inspiration to those of us who are still trying to get there!

Happy 4th of July:thumbup:

Hi Dridlen,

I think all of us are wondering how maintenance will be... Looking forward to it, though! I am such a slow loser I don't know if it will seem all that strange to me - not seeing the scale go down a little every day. I have yet to see that! Up, down, up, down, up, down, down - then the process starts again. I am grateful for the extra "down" in there - that's what keeps me going!

Welcome - and come back to share your experience and knowledge!

Hi ,My name is Janet and I was banded June 1st ,2009.My nutrition support told me to not take Calcium and Multivitamins together.Your body will only absorb 500 mg of calcium at one time so take a few and spread them out.

Also, if you take multivitamins with calcium it decreases the calcium absorbtion.

I have diabetes and am doing better now.I just had my first fill July 1st.they put in 4ccs (judged how much by the resistance on the band).I could not swallow Water and so she took out .5cc.I am still on soft foods but, find the morning is the tightest.I could only eat three tater tots this am.(not my usual breakfast) and probably will not try it again, BAD !

I was wondering about how much food I should be able to eat once I am restricted?

Hi Dridlen, I think all of us are wondering how maintenance will be... Looking forward to it, though! I am such a slow loser I don't know if it will seem all that strange to me - not seeing the scale go down a little every day. I have yet to see that! Up, down, up, down, up, down, down - then the process starts again. I am grateful for the extra "down" in there - that's what keeps me going!

Welcome - and come back to share your experience and knowledge!

Maintenance..... some days it seems like that will never come. I don't know that I'll ever be able to eat any differently than I am right now. But that's okay. I am not losing right now but I'm sure that will change after I have my knee replacement next month. I just hope the rest of this year is not a wash. I'm struggling right now.

Hi ,My name is Janet and I was banded June 1st ,2009.My nutrition support told me to not take Calcium and multivitamins together.Your body will only absorb 500 mg of calcium at one time so take a few and spread them out. Also, if you take multivitamins with calcium it decreases the calcium absorption.

I have diabetes and am doing better now.I just had my first fill July 1st.they put in 4ccs (judged how much by the resistance on the band).I could not swallow Water and so she took out .5cc.I am still on soft foods but, find the morning is the tightest.I could only eat three tater tots this am.(not my usual breakfast) and probably will not try it again, BAD !

I was wondering about how much food I should be able to eat once I am restricted?

My doctor's orders are 1/2 cup 6X a day... but that's not practical. I eat 3X a day... small Breakfast because I'm fairly tight in the morning, small salad at lunch time, approx 4 oz of Protein at night and some veggies... probably eat 1 - 1 1/2 cups at dinner. Small snack in the afternoon, small snack in the evening (jello pudding, 60-70 cal. cup).

Tater tots.... probably NOT a good choice. Have you tried eggbeaters?