Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

There is only one Center of Excellence Bariatric program in the state of Maine. This is requirement with my insurance company. Secondly, with this particular program, you never see the surgeon until a few weeks prior to your surgery. This is after a year of jumping through the program's hoops. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of traveling to other states due to finances and insurance limitations. I am 71 years old, with progressively worsening diabetes and needed to get on top of this weight issue. I was very disappointed when I did meet with the surgeon due to his attitude but I felt that I had no other option given my circumstances. I don't live in a state where there are surgeons anxiously waiting to hear from me. Hope that explains my situation. I am grateful that I have had the surgery and hope that the nurses that will monitor the fills will be more appropriately responsive than the surgeon. In his defense, I feel that this surgeon was voicing his opinion, even though it left me conflicted and concerned. I think some of his issues were that: I am older, my BMI is 37.5.

Ok, that makes sense. And it is good that he DID voice his opinion....some don't, they just want to "make the sale".

Congrats on taking the initiative and dealing with this before your diabetes worsens. I know some people think they are "too old" to go through this, but is simply not true these days. When I had my band put in, the Maximum age was 60, so i'm glad to see that has changed. It is NEVER too late to make positive changes in your life, and to take control of your health. Taking this step, you have probably extended your life, and will ultimately improve the QUALITY of your life as well. You should be (and probably are) excited about the potential!

I could be wrong, but i think that you are one of the older people here, that have had bands placed. Please keep us all posted on your progress. It will be interesting to see how (and with what speed) it works for you.

It's especially important that you get your nutrients, so make sure you keep a close eye on taking your supplements.

I look forward to hearing about your experience! :(

HH

Hi everyone, I am so glad to have found this thread. I was beginning to worry that I was too old to worry so much about my weight. That maybe I was just being vain.

I just got the go ahead from my insurance company and my next appointment will be to get started on the preop diet. Your posts have given me an opportunity to see others walking the same road. I love reading your posts!

Welcome, Nawlinzlady! It's a good group around here. Congratulations on you insurance approval. Please remind yourself age is just a number, it's your attitude and your confidence that determines your mental and emotional age. There are several on this thread who are over 60 (myself included), and the younger chicks have not kicked us off yet. The healthy food and increased exercise is making me younger, I swear! I feel so much better, my severe arthritis is under better control, and I can enjoy camping and hiking activities my hubby and I have always loved. The years ahead of you will be more worthwhile and more fun if you work toward a healthier body now. Good luck to you.

Wow, I spent a great deal of time today on this thread reading all these posts....going back quite a ways and it is very interesting. Finding so many over 50's going through this is very helpful and inspiring.

I'm 53 and scheduled for surgery on July 2nd. I've just started pre-op and am not looking forward to the next 12 days, but it's just the beginning step to changing my bad food habits. I know it can be done because I've already made some changes that have stuck.

Looking forward to posting here.

Ocotillo, you will be only a few weeks ahead of each other. I hope we can cheer for one another.:(

Welcome, Nawlinzlady! It's a good group around here. Congratulations on you insurance approval. Please remind yourself age is just a number, it's your attitude and your confidence that determines your mental and emotional age. There are several on this thread who are over 60 (myself included), and the younger chicks have not kicked us off yet. The healthy food and increased exercise is making me younger, I swear! I feel so much better, my severe arthritis is under better control, and I can enjoy camping and hiking activities my hubby and I have always loved. The years ahead of you will be more worthwhile and more fun if you work toward a healthier body now. Good luck to you.

I have read so many wonderful posts regarding your exercise routines after banding. How long before you are allowed to do any exercises? Can you walk or do weights right away? My husband and I enjoy our evening walks, but they are strolls, I hope to make them more brisk after my banding but I was just wondering how long that will be?

Dee

Most doctors recommend 4-6 weeks before weights are used, but that's something you should check with your doctor about. Mine said 6 weeks. Walking is recommended right away - as tolerated - after surgery. You will feel better and heal faster if you get some mild exercise in the days following your surgery - here again, go with doctor's recommendations. Those evening strolls with hubby will be great for the first few weeks, and then you will probably want to increase the pace gradually. Before long you will have a good exercise routine established. As you lose pounds the exercise will become easier and a lot more enjoyable.

I bought a WiiFit over the weekend and I've been enjoying those games. It's the kind of thing you can do at home during the most convenient times for you - and several times a day if you want to. It's a good addition to more strenuous workouts, keeps you up and active, and that's always good.

Hi everyone, I am so glad to have found this thread. I was beginning to worry that I was too old to worry so much about my weight. That maybe I was just being vain.

I just got the go ahead from my insurance company and my next appointment will be to get started on the preop diet. Your posts have given me an opportunity to see others walking the same road. I love reading your posts!

Welcome Nawlinzady - Hell No you aren't to old - what are you talking about girl - heck you are in your prime and us 50+ chicks are 10 x smarter than the 20 - 30 yr olds !!! We have already been there done that :0)

We understand that this is about our health and yes the new look (thin) is icing on the cake...

Glad to have you aboard !!!

Aw GF we are all in the same age bracket and when I 1st joined LBT there was just this thread for the 50+ and then when they redisigned it - they made threads for each age but heck by then we had made freinds with everyone from 49 to 60+ so we just stayed together -:0)

Speak of - I think Phyl & I and Oregondaisy are the only posters left from 2 yrs ago when I joined - but I have some sad news to report today. Some of you my have read this persons post when looking thru the other threads.

I just found out from Bjean that Green passed away on 6/12.

She had cancer - but the last time I had chatted w/her she was doing well and I thought that she had it beat .

Both Green & BJean were posters on the 50+ thread - they were my mentors - they are why I am still here - Green was the 1st person I knew to make it to goal -then had her face lift and she and I both liked jewelry and she loved linen clothes even at goal.

So gang if you are so inclined - please say a little prayer tonite - Green was a great person and she will be sorely missed...

Oh, I'm so sad about Green, Indio. Thanks for the update. I think of her often but can't get on the boards as much as I would like to and haven't been able to spend time finding her. She really was an inspiration and has such a great outlook on life--even after her diagnosis. She was amazing.

I'm still here from two years ago but mostly lurk. I haven't been as successful as the others so it's hard to post sometimes but I'm happy with my loss and look and feel SO much better that I can't complain. The last two years have been incredibly challenging for me--the hardest two years of my life. I can only imagine how much I'd weigh now without the band.

Congrats on your success, everyone, and congrats to you new bandsters. It's a great decision at any age, I believe.

Oh, I'm so sad about Green, Indio. Thanks for the update. I think of her often but can't get on the boards as much as I would like to and haven't been able to spend time finding her. She really was an inspiration and has such a great outlook on life--even after her diagnosis. She was amazing.

I'm still here from two years ago but mostly lurk. I haven't been as successful as the others so it's hard to post sometimes but I'm happy with my loss and look and feel SO much better that I can't complain. The last two years have been incredibly challenging for me--the hardest two years of my life. I can only imagine how much I'd weigh now without the band.

Congrats on your success, everyone, and congrats to you new bandsters. It's a great decision at any age, I believe.

GF - 9.5 to go -you are doing great - I remember you posting about your trials - I hope they are getting better..

Yes I cried when BJean pm'd me today - Green was so funny and like I said the last time we pm'd she said it was all good that it wasn't terminal - well - I guess it was...

She will be missed - I know that she stayed mosting to the rant/rave section and hadn't posted here in a long long time

- I think she liked the mental stimulation of debating - where as I'm not much in to comfortation - I am more the passisive agressive type :blushing:- unless you really piss me off :0)..

Janet, Green must have been posting here before I started with this group, so I did not know her. I am so sorry for your loss - it is so hard to lose a friend. Cancer is such a terrible disease and seems to strike the brightest and the best. Continue to pray for a cure...

Janet, Green must have been posting here before I started with this group, so I did not know her. I am so sorry for your loss - it is so hard to lose a friend. Cancer is such a terrible disease and seems to strike the brightest and the best. Continue to pray for a cure...

Thank you Joann !!

LBT changed their format last June I think it was and that's when I started this thread as there were specific age groups in the change

Our original 50+ thread was called

How's weight loss for those over 50

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f120/how-weight-loss-people-over-50-a-21117/index59.html

Green, BJean were to me what I am to you guys - they were both the experienced banders - Green & BJean are the nices ladies - all the advice I spout here is what I learned from these ladies plus my experiences since I was banded - but they were always honest - always nice - never nasty - we never had nastiness on this thread..

They both quit posting on the 50 thread and really mostly just post in the debate threads (both are highly intellegent pple and great debators without being nasty) and I will run across them occassional when I venture outside the 50's/Mentor/#7 threads -and we would occassionally pm each other..

The last time I had pm'd Green she was doing well and out look was good - but alas that wasn't how it turned out to be.. At least she's not suffering anymore - she got to goal - had her face lift and was enjoying life so her last few yrs were good ones..

Yes I am very sad about her passing and greatly appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers..

Momlambert is from our original thread and so is Phyl and Oregondaisy - but that's about it from the pple who posted when I joined LBT 5/07...

OMG....went and read the old 50's thread. I bet (Janet and Phyll) it brings back lots of memories for you. Was paging through....caught a statement by Janet saying she would be more than satisfied with size 10 slacks. Now look at her! Little Miss Size 4! And, look at Phyll....has come so far. And to think...you were newbies at one time. Hard to wrap my head around that.

OMG....went and read the old 50's thread. I bet (Janet and Phyll) it brings back lots of memories for you. Was paging through....caught a statement by Janet saying she would be more than satisfied with size 10 slacks. Now look at her! Little Miss Size 4! And, look at Phyll....has come so far. And to think...you were newbies at one time. Hard to wrap my head around that.

OMW - I guess I will have to go ck that out - it seems like a lifetime ago - but again it seems like yesterday - I am comming up on my 2 yr anniversary..

Yep we all were newbies once :0)... Now I'm just an old broad :0)..

I am so sorry to hear about Green. WasA told me a couple of months ago that she was not doing well. That's just so sad.

I haven't been coming to LBT very often now that Alex opened Sleeve Talk.

I am glad to read that everyone is doing well. I can't remember the person's name that was wondering if she was too tight. Being too tight is dangerous and is not the road to weight loss. I hope she went for an unfill.

Momlambert, hang in there! If you have lost weight, you ARE successful! going down beats going up no matter how much you've lost.

I went in for my third fill yesterday. They did an xray and discovered my esophagus is stretched. I had not been in for a fill in two months because I have to drive 5 hours and just had not had time. I have had lots of problems with PBs, but never have felt that "full" feeling everyone talks about. The PBs were with first or second bites of food. I know have 4.2 ccs in my band and can definitely feel some restriction, but am worried about this esophagus situation. Has anyone had this happen and what was the fix? Does it allow you to keep eating and let the food go into the esophagus?