Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Exercise - HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

I'm wondering if there is a bigger possiblity of injury with heavier weights vs more reps? Any thoughts on this? Today, I did the ellipitical for 25 minutes, rowing machine for 30 minutes and had a one hour private pilates session. I will try and do the treadmill for 30 minutes this evening. The scale finally gave and I lost 2 more pounds! Very exciting stuff!

The scale finally gave and I lost 2 more pounds! Very exciting stuff!

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

I do Zumba....I really like it. The more I do it the more I love it..I am just hoping to see more results around the waist..They say that zumba works everything....I do it a little lower impact...but it works. It is really big in Ohio gyms right now. A lot of people are doing it. It's considered a cardio class. They move fast paced and it's latin dancing, they use the four step, miranga, and samba..It's a great class it you ever get to try it.

Okay so I was buying some new clothes and I think they may only fit for a week. They are already way to baggy. It's like I am between sizes...Don't it figure...Going to thorugh more clothes next week. I am getting the old ones out of my closet! Well I am hitting the gym this evening so I will report in when I get done! Have a great workout everbody.

Could I get in on this a little late? Anything that I can use to help hold me accountable, the better I stand at accomplishing my goals.

I'm wondering if there is a bigger possiblity of injury with heavier weights vs more reps? Any thoughts on this? Today, I did the ellipitical for 25 minutes, rowing machine for 30 minutes and had a one hour private pilates session. I will try and do the treadmill for 30 minutes this evening. The scale finally gave and I lost 2 more pounds! Very exciting stuff!

Karey-according to my trainer and the book that I got, slow movements with heavy weights is the key. You go until your muscles are fatigued. I usually only get about 6 reps in, if I can do more, it's time to increase the weights. When I say slow I mean 15 seconds to contract, then another 15 to relax. It's a little hard at first to go so slow, but after a while you get used to it. I think with lighter weights and more reps you're actually at a higher risk for injury. I see people on the weight machines going so fast, that's when you can pull or strain something. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Got my 60 minutes of cardio in today. 30 minutes of hard running and 30 minutes of warm up and cool down walking. I drooled at all of the spinning people today but I will be in there tomorrow. I can't wait.

Good luck babygrl....just got out of spin class!

10 minute warm up, 60 minute spin class.

OK, I have to say this. I am soooo effing proud of myself today. I walked into spin thinking ok, this is going to suck. I haven't been in over a month and I was thinking it would take me a few classes to get back to the level I was when I stopped going. Well, the beginning of the class starts out with an 8 minute hill. I could NEVER do that damn hill. I could do about 2 minutes, then I would flop back into the saddle huffing and puffing. Get this....today I did the entire 8 minute hill!!!!!!:whoo::whoo::whoo:

Sorry if it seems like I'm tooting my own horn, but I never thought I'd be able to do it and I'm just sooo excited!:rolleyes:

Good for you on the workout, girlie! You are going to go into that surgery at your absolute BEST! I can't wait to see how your next few months go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding the question about increased chance of injury with heavier weights? I would say, catagorically, NO. I will also add to that...no matter what weight you are lifting, you should ALWAYS use proper form, as improper form is a major factor in injuries. Of course, the heavier the weight, the harder you have to concentrate on your form...but that is why it is called "resistance" training, right? :rolleyes: Here's a couple blurbs from this fantastic book I'm reading:

At a certain point, just about every woman who's ever picked up a dumbbell or walked into a gym reaches the same conclusion: "I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, and it isn't working."

The reason:

What you've been told to do
isn't
what you're supposed to do. In the quarter-century since the idea that women could benefit from strength training kicked in, a powerfully counterproductive notion rose in tandem. That's the idea that women should use exercises and techniques different from those used by men.

It's a ridiculous premise, bordering on fraudulence.

I love that! :whoo:

Could I get in on this a little late? Anything that I can use to help hold me accountable, the better I stand at accomplishing my goals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Absolutely! PM me your starting weight, goal weight, weekly goal minutes for cardio and weekly goal minutes for resistance. I'll getcha added to the spreadsheet. (The link to the spreadsheet is in a couple places in this thread, and in the very first post on page one.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me just say that I am THRILLED with all the new folks in here and wanting to join our challenge! (Thanks for suggesting it, Punky!) And to all of you, new or not, I heart you and...

welcome.gif

OK, I have to say this. I am soooo effing proud of myself today. I walked into spin thinking ok, this is going to suck. I haven't been in over a month and I was thinking it would take me a few classes to get back to the level I was when I stopped going. Well, the beginning of the class starts out with an 8 minute hill. I could NEVER do that damn hill. I could do about 2 minutes, then I would flop back into the saddle huffing and puffing. Get this....today I did the entire 8 minute hill!!!!!!:whoo::whoo::whoo:

Sorry if it seems like I'm tooting my own horn, but I never thought I'd be able to do it and I'm just sooo excited!:P

OMG! That's SO GREAT, JM! I'm so proud of you for conquering that hill! Eight minutes is a LONG-ASS time!

Hi all

I would like to be a part of this challenge too! it sounds exciting and just like something i was looking for :P

Stephanie, I read in another post and here are my details:

Current weight: 230

Goal weight: 138

Weekly cardio: 240

Weekly strenght training: 135

Sorry, newbies! The goal weight you send me is the weight you want to be when this particular challenge ends on March 30th...let me know where you want to be in about ten weeks or so.

Sorry I didn't explain better earlier!

Sorry if it seems like I'm tooting my own horn, but I never thought I'd be able to do it and I'm just sooo excited!:P

Of course it is ok to toot around here. We love tooting. And good for you!

Let me jsut say that now my arms are killling me. Yesterday not so bad. Today, hell on earth. So obviously they must have gotten somewhat of a workout in last night while I was running.

To the pain!!!!!!