Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

*TMI* WARNING *TMI*

I didn't know about the serve Constipation. I've been struggling so bad trying to pass this lumpy stool. NOTHING seems to be working, had to leave work early. I'm in sooooo much pain.

I'm in the 2nd week of my 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet.

Do anyone have any suggestions? I might not survive this.

Edited by Stuart90
Missed an important fact

*TMI* WARNING *TMI*
I didn't know about the serve constipation. I've been struggling so bad trying to pass this lumpy stool. NOTHING seems to be working, had to leave work early. I'm in sooooo much pain.

My dad's a nurse and shares by magnesium citric for stubborn or sever Constipation, talk to your doctor about it, he said he always suggests it when someone is at your stage, but hasn't delt with a person post stomach surgery like ours so he wants ypu to double check with your doctor before taking it

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, Sd14810 said:

My dad's a nurse and shares by magnesium citric for stubborn or sever constipation, talk to your doctor about it, he said he always suggests it when someone is at your stage, but hasn't delt with a person post stomach surgery like ours so he wants ypu to double check with your doctor before taking it

Thanks, I have tried this from the brand swan. It helped but the complete stool didn't pass. My doc recommended a suppository from Dulcolax. I guess it's working but not good enough. I honestly don't know if I can survive this. I usually can manage pain , but this is a no.

Thanks, I have tried this from the brand swan. It helped but the complete stool didn't pass. My doc recommended a suppository from Dulcolax. I guess it's working but not good enough. I honestly don't know if I can survive this. I usually can manage pain , but this is a no.
Ask your doctor how often you can take it, if they say you can take it at least once a day, do that for 3 days or so and that should help, if not and it's been quite a while, a warm enema might be what it takes to get you unblocked

Had my two week check in with the surgeon! It was over the phone so very basic, he just asked how my incisions were healing, what my weight was, if I was taking my Vitamins, and how fast I could consume 4oz of liquid. He said everything sounded like I was on track. I asked him if I could try thicker Soups like split pea or butternut squash, he said yes but they had to be a runny cream consistency and I have to wait for eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta till the puree phase, which I was kind of hoping he'd let me start a week early, but that made me feel like the answer would be "no" lol.

It's probably for the best though, because I went straight to the store and bought some creamy split pea Soup and wow after maybe three small bites I was like "yeah, this feels different" and it took me an hour to get through 4oz. I'm both surprised and not surprised; on one hand it is an actual food as opposed to liquid, but on the other hand, Greek yogurt and pudding is allowed on my liquid diet and they are heavy but take me about 30mins to get through 4oz. Funny how my body knows the difference between a vegetable and a liquid, even at a similar consistency. My dietitian didn't have me follow the 30min before 30min after rule with yogurts, but I'm definitely doing it with the peas soup.

My next check in with the surgeon is in 4 weeks, hopefully it'll be a good one too.

I'm back from my bypass. They were going to let me go after the 1st night but I was having trouble eating any food. Everything I tried to swallow except for Water felt like I was trying to swallow acid. Luckily it did get better by the second night and today is even better. I have not hit my water or Protein goals but I wasn't expecting to be able to do that so soon. I am surprised at how much I can drink though. I don't have to take tiny sips, my normal pre surgery swallowing amount still works. I am not hungry but I also can't tell when I'm full either. From what I have read and seen, 2 oz should be the size of my stomach but I can hold more. I asked my dr about it and he said it was a good thing and that it will help me reach my water and protein goals better. I asked him if maybe my stomach was left too big and he says he makes everyone's stomach the same size because they use a guide instrument. He says I will start feeling the restriction much more after I can start eating more solid foods. He also thinks that I can move to pureed food after my drs appointment next week. I thought I was on liquids for 2 weeks but I'll take only one week as long as things go well. In the meantime I'm still limiting myself to 2 oz to make sure that I don't stretch anything.

As far as recovery is going, I'm doing better than I thought I would. The only really bad pain was when I was waking up after the surgery. I was still so groggy that I couldn't open my eyes but I could hear the nurse and she kept giving me doses of pain meds until I was comfortable. After that I was moved to my room. I was soooo happy to find out that they were letting my husband stay with me. Poor guy had to sleep in a reclining chair but at least he got to stay. He was amazing help when trying to get out of bed to go to the bathroom and to walk the halls. I did not get bad gas pains but I still have a lot of bloating but I can tell its inside because I can hear it travelling the loops of my intestine (sorry of that tmi) I have been taking gas x but its not being too effective yet. Its a tolerable pain though so I just have to get through it. Another tmi is that I still haven't had any bowel movements but the nurse wasn't worried and I honestly haven't eaten that much so maybe there isn't anything to go. The weekend before surgery while on the liquid diet I had the worst Constipation and that finally broke the night before surgery. So maybe I was cleaned out enough that I have nothing to go atm. I have laxatives if needed and I my dr approved Fiber powder to add to my liquids if I wanted to. I did request a belly binder is what I've called it, but its got a better name that I can't think of atm lol. It is amazing with how much it lessens the pain of moving. Getting out and into bed has been the hardest but once I got that on, I haven't taken it off.

So now I just have to get all my liquids in and figure out what full feels like. I'm very happy not to feel hungry and also happy that so far I'm still ok with the taste of my Premier Protein shakes. I was going to be sad if I couldn't drink anymore of my pumpkin spice shakes.

Sorry for the book but I am a talker lol :)

24 minutes ago, Hope4NewMe said:

I'm back from my bypass.

I'm sorry to hear about the first night but I'm glad it got better!!!

Ignore please

Edited by SpartanMaker

38 minutes ago, Hope4NewMe said:

I am surprised at how much I can drink though. I don't have to take tiny sips, my normal pre surgery swallowing amount still works. I am not hungry but I also can't tell when I'm full either. From what I have read and seen, 2 oz should be the size of my stomach but I can hold more.

This is normal. part of your small intestines are connected directly to your new pouch. Liquids can pass through pretty easily. Like your doc said, once you get to solids, you'll notice the restriction.

3 hours ago, Stuart90 said:

*TMI* WARNING *TMI*

I didn't know about the serve constipation. I've been struggling so bad trying to pass this lumpy stool. NOTHING seems to be working, had to leave work early. I'm in sooooo much pain.

I'm in the 2nd week of my 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet.

I have heard great things about magnesium citrate as well and also Smooth Move tea with senna.

Mine is the 19th!

For those who have had the surgery already, what does full feel like? I'm so scared of eating/drinking too much and ruining all this hard work. I'm still taking the pain meds so I don't know if that is masking the signal but I'm not sure what I'm exactly looking for. Before surgery I don't know if I really ever felt full without it being over full. Like thanksgiving stuffed equaled full. I don't want to over stuff myself ever again but its hard to know when to stop.