Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op hair loss... SO WADJYA DO?!?!

I read about it before, everyone said it would happen... I didn't think it would be such a big deal, but OMG, hello???? Fistfuls of hair in the shower drain?! Like, what EVEN??????

So any solutions? What did you do about it???? (And don't tell me to buy a better shower drain...😵) HHHHEEEEEELLLPPPP!!!!!!

Be patient, take your Vitamins and eat your Protein. The vitamins and protein won't stop the Hair loss, but it is good for when it comes back. Which it will. I lost so much hair but it is now growing out.

3 hours ago, idk4w said:

What did you do about it????

Other than chop off all my hair to a pixie cut around 3 months post, absolutely nothing.

New growth started sprouting around 6 months post, and by 2 years post all those chicken hairs were the same length as the rest of my hair which i was regularly trimming (my hair was just below chin length by then)

Good Luck!❤️

I think the reason my Hair loss wasn't that noticeable is that I have VERY short hair. Hard to have handfulls falling out when the hair is only an inch or so long... get a haircut?

I take Biotin every day

Get a flattering haircut, check out YouTube videos on flattering for you styles. Use a tinted matte eye shadow to disguise any scalp shine if necessary. Then wait it out. My Hair loss started around 5 months and ended at 10 months. It doesn’t last forever!

It’s just one of those frustrating things that are part of the weight loss journey. Mine started at around 4 months. Most people notice the Hair loss persists for about three months +/- regardless of taking supplements like Biotin. The hair on your head is already dead & you can’t save dead hair. The thing to remember is the hair you are losing is hair you would have lost anyway as part of your natural shedding cycle - it was destined to fall out. It’s just that this cycle has been temporarily accelerated. You still have new hair growing but it’s at it’s usual rate. Supplements may benefit this new growth.

Best thing to do is not stress, take your recommended Vitamins & meet your Protein goals.

I remember my surgeon told me my body had better things to do with the nutrients I was eating then save my hair. A bit harsh but true. When I hit my goal & was eating more & a wider variety of food the rate of the hair loss slowed until it was like it was pre surgery so at about month 7. I took no additional supplements.

A lot of us cut our hair so the loss isn’t as noticeable & it takes less time for the new growth to catch up & be the same length. I cut mine from almost my waist to just above my shoulders. The shorter length of hair doesn’t look as bad in the bottom of the shower either 😁😁.

Edited by Arabesque

I took hair Vitamins and collagen support supplements well before surgery to try to prevent Hair loss and meticulously hit my Protein and Water goals, but HELLO it happened anyway. Perhaps not as badly if I wasn't supplement-strict, but I'll never know because I don't have a clone of me who isn't taking them to compare! I already have fine hair, and it started coming out around month 4. Joy!

But it stops. And I got my hair cut into a short pixie and am loving it. It hasn't grown back yet, but it will at some point, but until then the pixie cut rules.

Be sure you are getting your Protein and taking your Vitamins. I take Biotin and extra zinc along with my Multivitamin with Iron. It helps if you get vitamins that are specific to bariatric patients since they are formulated better for us. I order BariMelts and they are chewable so easier to take. I’ve been taking my vitamins religiously every day and even though I’ve still had some Hair loss it hasn’t been too bad. Just know that the hair loss will slow once your body adjusts after surgery. Hang in there! 💕

My Hair loss started late unlike many who gets hair loss right away. My blood tests came out perfect so my surgeon said it wasn't Vitamin deficiency. I was losing so much hair that I got desperate lol. I started taking viviscal. I thought of rogaine for women but I felt the 2 pills a day would be easier than applying the stuff on my hair. Those are the two things that were suggested to me. I had read it worked for some and others it doesn't. So far, it is working for me. Thank goodness. I just don't know when I can stop it though. If I do stop will it fall out again? I wonder.

On 06/30/2022 at 20:08, Supafly82 said:

Did you still lose hair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m only 11 days postop so I’m not sure

There is nothing you can do but ride it out, I had super long hair and cut it but wish I didn't. But I most likely did the right thing. I have lots of new Hair growth now and it's CURLY lol so that's new.