Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

Hello does anyone have any food recommendations for the soft food diet.. i had bypass 6/21 and I got sick during the puree phase and now that I have recovered I am now on soft foods. Is it weird to have cravings?

Hi Meshia,

I had bypass on 6/21 too! I’m so sorry to hear you got sick on the purée phase. How are you feeling now?

I’m vegetarian, so I’ve been sticking to cottage cheese, string cheese, low-fat yogurt and refried Beans (soupy).

No, it’s not weird to have cravings at all! I definitely have them, although I’m not really hungry. I’m dreaming of the day I can have a small slice of cheesecake again and a piece of pizza, probably on different days.

Every time I really start thinking about food that I want but can’t have yet, I try to refocus on how much weight I’ve lost and how my clothes are getting baggier on me. I find this helps redirect my focus. I’ve lost 17 pounds since surgery so far. I hope this helps and gives a little insight to someone else’s experience who’s on the exact same timeline. 😊

Here’s what my doctor allows at this stage:
• Thinly sliced deli meats such as turkey, chicken, ham
• Low fat string cheese, Skim ricotta cheese, feta
• Soft fish – not dry or overcooked
• Canned chicken and tuna (you may mix it up with a bit of plain yogurt,
mustard or low fat mayonnaise)
• Boiled shrimp (try a little cocktail sauce but be careful of taking too much
because the sugar in it might make you dump – see “Dumping Syndrome”)
• Pan-seared scallops (lime or lemon juice is okay)
• Real or imitation lobster and crab (no real butter, but try imitation flakes)
• Egg salad (use plain yogurt, mustard or lowfat Mayonnaise, or even salsa –
the finely pureed kind)
• Tofu
• Low fat hot-dog (no bun)
• Well cooked beans and legumes

I am so excited. Day 15 and started the puree stage. Make scrambled eggs with egg substitute and fat free cheese and so far so good!

So glad i found this group! I am 4 weeks post op today. I am down 18 pounds. Didn't lose anything for about a week and a half but seems to be moving again! I am on soft foods now and going camping this weekend before I start back to work Monday!

Any tips for meal prepping for work? I will have a little cooler with me and lots of Water.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 6 weeks post-op and I'm in Jamaica for a family reunion and we are staying at an all-inclusivehotel for a few days. Some parts of this trip as been hard because I am constantly surrounded by the foods I enjoyed growing up but I am unable to enjoy them now. It also feels awkward to be out eating with the family and having to find the right food to eat only to be full in a few bites. Luckily my family understands and are supportive. It also helps when I can make myself busy with other things like being in the pool.

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey all! I had DJB-S on June 29. Recovery has been a little rough. I can’t stand most Protein shakes/drinks since surgery and I’m having some trouble getting my Clear Liquids in everyday. That means I’ve been in the infusion center a few times for IV fluids, so that I don’t dehydrate.

I can tolerate some foods just fine (yogurt, oatmeal, cottage cheese) and others don’t agree with me at all (tuna and salmon).

I’ve not been as active as I think I should be, but I’m pretty weak. I’m hoping this week I will be able to turn a corner.

Shoot me some tips and tricks about Proteins. I hope you’re all doing well!

Puree foods are so filling. I’m supposed to have 6 meals a day, 65g Protein, and 600-800 calories. This seems impossible this early. They also don’t recommend Protein Shakes but I’m needing to use them to meet my protein goals. I’m 20 days post op. I’m mostly getting my protein goal and Water goal, but I cannot even imagine getting to 800 calories. I usually average around 450 now.

On 07/16/2022 at 18:37, Adria.Martin said:

Hey all! I had DJB-S on June 29. Recovery has been a little rough. I can’t stand most Protein shakes/drinks since surgery and I’m having some trouble getting my Clear Liquids in everyday. That means I’ve been in the infusion center a few times for IV fluids, so that I don’t dehydrate.

I can tolerate some foods just fine (yogurt, oatmeal, cottage cheese) and others don’t agree with me at all (tuna and salmon).

I’ve not been as active as I think I should be, but I’m pretty weak. I’m hoping this week I will be able to turn a corner.

Shoot me some tips and tricks about Proteins. I hope you’re all doing well!

What is DJB-S?

8 minutes ago, JS said:

Puree foods are so filling. I’m supposed to have 6 meals a day, 65g Protein, and 600-800 calories. This seems impossible this early. They also don’t recommend Protein Shakes but I’m needing to use them to meet my Protein goals. I’m 20 days post op. I’m mostly getting my protein goal and Water goal, but I cannot even imagine getting to 800 calories. I usually average around 450 now.

I’m 5 weeks post op from RNY, and I can’t imagine getting to 600 a day. 800 is not even in the realm of possibility as far as I’m concerned..

I’ve decided I’m not going to be worried or concerned about it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

My doctor wasn't concerned at all about not getting in all my calories as long as I meet my Fluid and Protein goals.

Have you tried the Protein2O drinks? They have been a godsend for me. They taste pretty good and have 15-20 grams of protein each. Try the watermelon! I order from Amazon.

I think everyone adjusts differently. I’m now off the puree diet and onto the sort diet and feel like I’m eating lots of potato and cheese. It’s weird because usually this would be foods I would avoid on diets. I get between 600-800 calories a day with the help of baby Bells (high in protein), a Protein Shake and a Protein yoghurt. I’m meant to be working to 50gs of protein for dinner but am finding a meal difficult because it’s always protein first and that means I don’t get to the greens and veg.

I’ve been quite active, swimming 3 times a week, 40-60 lengths a time so my nutritionist said I can eat more to ensure I have energy.

I’ve just come out of the slump 5th week slump, and am loosing again which means it’s gone from Water weight to burning actual fat which is great. I was a bit worried about the pause in weight loss.

is anyone else struggling to get to eating lots of greens and salads? So over eating yoghurts, smoothies and high protein cheese with potato. I want to feel like it’s a healthier plate. Can anyone eat a salad yet? My op was on the 9th of June

I had my sleeve on the 22nd June and now I can eat anything I want apart from tough meats. My dr told me to eat between 900- 1,200 cals a day. I usually have around 900. I’ve lost 20lb so far but this week my weight loss has really slowed down.