Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

14 hours ago, Tatt said:

Had surgery on Monday and was discharged by noon on Tues. Tbh no cramping, no nausea, not horrid pain, and had a bm without taking anything for it. The only weird thing is my taste buds have changed. Sweet Protein Shakes make gag now or maybe it's the flavors I buy idk. I got some Unjury Protein powders in savory flavors like chicken Soup and santa fe chili. I also got the unflavored to add strained Soup. I have no cravings or hunger. If I sip too fast I burp or hiccup it up...not a fun feeling.

Can Unjury only be bought through them? No retailers seem to carry it.

10 hours ago, whtnybrks said:

Hi everyone, my date is 6/23. I’m day 4 of Clear Liquids. I’m surviving but definitely not thriving. I’m basically existing on broth, Gatorade 0, and strained canned Soup because Jello makes me gag. Also, (and I know it’s TMI but I want to share my real experience) this pre-op diet diarrhea is no joke! But, I’m optimistic better things are ahead!

I'm not on clears beforehand, so that has to stink. How long after do you need to be on clear?

I have the opposite problem of your TMI issue. I finally broke down and took some of my post-op stool softners because I hadn't gone in a week.

7 minutes ago, acopas said:

Can Unjury only be bought through them? No retailers seem to carry it.

My Dr's ofc carries a wide range of products everyone from Unjury to Bariatric Advantage and gives out sample bags of everything they stock. I went thru them. However the unjury website has where you can get samples not too costly.

On 06/17/2022 at 08:14, acopas said:

I'm not on clears beforehand, so that has to stink. How long after do you need to be on clear?

I have the opposite problem of your TMI issue. I finally broke down and took some of my post-op stool softners because I hadn't gone in a week.

10 days. I know I’m going to survive and make it through but, man, it sure seems impossible right now.

On 4/4/2022 at 7:34 AM, Jessica1024 said:

Anyone willing to share there starting points ? I’m 45 yrs old
Ht. 5’6. Wt. 226. BMI is 36.5

I'm 43 and 5'5". My weight before starting the pre-op diet was 272.6. I am having surgery on the 21st and my current weight is 259. My BMI is in the 40's.

I’m late to the party, but my VSG was 6.15.2022 … any surgery twins out there?

Hi everyone! I had my gastric sleeve surgery as well as hiatal hernia repair done on June 8, 2022 and I must say, I have never felt healthier! The pounds are dropping and my energy keeps rising. Since my surgery, my BP readings have constantly been normal and I have even noticed a positive change with my vision. I have not had any complications since surgery. My abdominal gas discomfort is gone. My only discomfort, which is very rare, is at my shoulder as a result of some of the gas that is still lodged under my diaphragm. I have had no vomiting or diarrhea, in fact my bm is actually regular and normal. I can't wait to see my surgeon on Tuesday for my post op visit so he can give me clearance to go to the gym. I have been on liquid diet although I sneak in bits of soft food every now and then - my stomach tolerates it. I also walk for 45 minutes to an hour twice daily. I must say, this is the best decision I have made in my life!

1 hour ago, SummerC said:

Hi everyone! I had my gastric sleeve surgery as well as hiatal hernia repair done on June 8, 2022 and I must say, I have never felt healthier! The pounds are dropping and my energy keeps rising. Since my surgery, my BP readings have constantly been normal and I have even noticed a positive change with my vision. I have not had any complications since surgery. My abdominal gas discomfort is gone. My only discomfort, which is very rare, is at my shoulder as a result of some of the gas that is still lodged under my diaphragm. I have had no vomiting or diarrhea, in fact my bm is actually regular and normal. I can't wait to see my surgeon on Tuesday for my post op visit so he can give me clearance to go to the gym. I have been on liquid diet although I sneak in bits of soft food every now and then - my stomach tolerates it. I also walk for 45 minutes to an hour twice daily. I must say, this is the best decision I have made in my life!

Congratulations!🎉🎈🎊

I had gb, hernia repair and gb removal on 6/8 as well, and I could have written everything that you did!

my experience has been SO POSITIVE!

Best of luck and continued good health and success!

Edited by Mariann812

Officially sleeved 6/16 with a hiatal hernia repair. My personal experience so far is buyer's remorse. I still have pain and struggle getting up from sitting, out of bed, and twisting/turning. I had flatulence and some bowel movement for the first time since before surgery. I've also gained 4 pounds since surgery despite only having Clear Liquids (popsicle, Water, jello). I'm not at full-on regret, but really hope there's a light at the end of this tunnel very soon.

12 minutes ago, Abbielane26 said:

June 23!

31 minutes ago, KelsVSG said:

Officially sleeved 6/16 with a hiatal hernia repair. My personal experience so far is buyer's remorse. I still have pain and struggle getting up from sitting, out of bed, and twisting/turning. I had flatulence and some bowel movement for the first time since before surgery. I've also gained 4 pounds since surgery despite only having Clear Liquids (popsicle, Water, jello). I'm not at full-on regret, but really hope there's a light at the end of this tunnel very soon.

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Do not give up as everyone's experie b ce is different. Have you tried walking? Walking helped me a little in my early days after GS and hernia repair - especially those shoulder, chest and neck pains. Try to walk as much as possible. Start with 10 minute walks then increase it gradually. This helps, trust me. You will slso see the pounds falling. Drink Water, and walk.

Best wishes to anyone having surgery this week, and recovery wishes to those still in recovery…I think that may include me. 😂

Hey all! I’m freaking out! Tomorrow is the day and I’m scared. I keep wondering if I am doing the right thing. I keep worrying about them not being able to go in laparoscopic and having a huge scar. I’m scared something will go wrong and I won’t be there for my daughter. Lord please get me through this.

Well, tomorrow the 20th IS surgery. The 10 day pre op was not as bad as I had anticipated. Looking forward to the next step. It's finally happening!!

On 06/13/2022 at 23:43, Mariann812 said:

Hi, vabs:
My surgery was last Wednesday, 6/8. I have never felt better in my life…I had a massive hiatal hernia that was repaired via gastric bypass.
I found it helpful to have a pair of shoes that fit rather loosely to wear home from the hospital. It’s unavoidable to be bloated after surgery, and you will need comfy shoes till the Fluid dissipates
I had a supply of sugar free popsicles in the freezer. I had about 6 boxes of them because a few weeks ago they were impossible to find.
Broth…check the sodium levels. You won’t want to be retaining Fluid.
If you have a favorite Protein Shake, stock up. I was off Clear Liquids and on Protein Shakes from the day I arrived home which was 2 days post op.
I also stocked up on sugar free Jello, crystal light, unsweetened ice tea, and I had ice packs in case I wanted to ice my incisions.
I never needed a heating pad.
I had a box of tegaderm Patches even though my incisions were covered. I used the tegaderm as a safety precaution.
I had 45mg per bottle Fairlife Core shakes on hand because it’s a super easy way to get our Protein requirement.
My nutritionist also highly recommended Fairlife Skim or 1% milk so I stocked up on that. And Decaf coffee pods.
That’s all I can think of.
I packed really lite for the hospital. I wore the hospital gown and I was given compression stockings in the hospital when I was being prepped for surgery.
That’s all I can think of.
Best of luck to you. You will do great. ❤️

Ivetere83: PLEASE READ WHAT I POSTED ABOVE ⬆️
You will be great, and I’ll be praying for you. You have got this!

lvetere83 said:
Hey all! I’m freaking out! Tomorrow is the day and I’m scared. I keep wondering if I am doing the right thing. I keep worrying about them not being able to go in laparoscopic and having a huge scar. I’m scared something will go wrong and I won’t be there for my daughter. Lord please get me through this.