Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

2 hours ago, ManicPixie said:

Hi there! I'm in the same boat as you, with similar stats as well. Highest weight was around 300, but I'm down to around 276 after over a YEAR of jumping through hoops to get insurance approval (I started the process in February of 2021!). The weight loss I've experienced so far can be attributed to giving up soda (even diet) and alcohol, which I did last summer.

My surgery is June 24th, so today is the first day of my two week liquid diet, and someone at work has already offered me candy...uuuuuuugh. I've only told my closest colleagues about my surgery (I work at a school and today is the last day for students, so my surgery will be over summer break when I don't work anyway) but I might end up telling more of my co-workers at the end-of-year faculty luncheon later today, because some people might wonder why I'm sipping a Protein Shake staring longingly at everyone else's plates.

How has your pre-op diet been going? What is your surgery date?

Edit: Oh derp, I just saw you said your surgery is on the 20th. >_<

My pre-op isnt fun lol. I'm on day 6 and I can only have 2 shakes a day and a Protein heavy, low carb meal. I am having a really hard time with the diet. I feel like I'm always hungry. My stomach is always growling and it makes me cranky. I have seen many people here saying they get 4 or 5 shakes a day and i am VERY JEALOUS!! I would love to throw in an extra shake or 2 during the day to try to curb the hunger.

What is your pre-op diet?

Hospital just called my surgery time is 12:45pm EST on Monday...is it bad that now it's hitting me that this is no longer a hope it will happen but an actual it will happen thing? Oh boy...

3 minutes ago, amyyy817 said:

My date is June 29! Used to be my wedding anniversary so I’m glad to be replacing it with a much better memory ♥️

We are surgery twins 😃 I am also June 29th. How are you feeling?

13 minutes ago, Tatt said:

Hospital just called my surgery time is 12:45pm EST on Monday...is it bad that now it's hitting me that this is no longer a hope it will happen but an actual it will happen thing? Oh boy...

Woo hoo! I’ll be coming out as you are going in! I am so ready to get this over with and start living a new and better life!

On 06/10/2022 at 12:28, nickinicole0718 said:

We are surgery twins 😃 I am also June 29th. How are you feeling?

I feel good! I start the pre-op diet this week so I might say different later on 🤣

June 7th!

52 minutes ago, lvetere83 said:

My pre-op isnt fun lol. I'm on day 6 and I can only have 2 shakes a day and a Protein heavy, low carb meal. I am having a really hard time with the diet. I feel like I'm always hungry. My stomach is always growling and it makes me cranky. I have seen many people here saying they get 4 or 5 shakes a day and i am VERY JEALOUS!! I would love to throw in an extra shake or 2 during the day to try to curb the hunger.

What is your pre-op diet?

Ugh, that's a pretty strict pre-op. Mine isn't quite as strict, but close. I can either do 3 Protein Shakes or two Protein shakes and a lean meat and veg dinner. However, if hungry between meals I am allowed to eat some low carb veggies, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free pudding, eggs, or fat free cottage cheese. So far today I've had two protein shakes and some sugar-free jello. I'm trying to be somewhat strict with myself, because I want my liver to shrink as much as possible, to avoid complications. So I will likely be sticking with three protein shakes a day, and sugar-free jello as a snack. If I get desperate for something more filling I might boil an egg.

Does your plan not allow you to have any Snacks at all?

2 hours ago, ManicPixie said:

Ugh, that's a pretty strict pre-op. Mine isn't quite as strict, but close. I can either do 3 Protein Shakes or two Protein shakes and a lean meat and veg dinner. However, if hungry between meals I am allowed to eat some low carb veggies, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free pudding, eggs, or fat free cottage cheese. So far today I've had two Protein Shakes and some sugar-free Jello. I'm trying to be somewhat strict with myself, because I want my liver to shrink as much as possible, to avoid complications. So I will likely be sticking with three Protein shakes a day, and sugar-free jello as a snack. If I get desperate for something more filling I might boil an egg.

Does your plan not allow you to have any Snacks at all?

I was told not to snack, but instead to drink a lot of water/crystal light. I spoke with another woman who had the same dr and he allowed her a cheese stick or something. It's just not enough

My gastric bypass, hernia repair, gallbladder removal were Wednesday June 8. I got to my room on Wednesday at 3:15pm. Surgeon told my husband it was a textbook case, and I was an easy patient.
My hospital does ERAS and it was fantastic. I had Tylenol, gabapentin and a nerve block on both sides of my abdomen. And an anti nausea patch. I do not metabolize anesthesia well and I was incredibly nauseous afterwards. Phenergen helped, but not the way I needed help. My surgeon switched to a steroid/ zofran cocktail and it works.
I’m getting ready to go home as I write this. Will update. Ask me anything you want to know.

Hey everyone, day 3 of my pre op surgery diet! Anyone else loosing like crazy on their pre op? Makes me wonder If I really need to be having this surgery, then I think back to all my failed attempts to do it on my own and my weekness for all things bad, So I'm counting down the days till surgery and trying not to think about food. 😛 still getting a little anxious the closer I get to the big day but I have a wonderful husband who I've been married to for 20 yrs and he's been supportive in my decision. And this group has been amazing.

14 minutes ago, Mariann812 said:

My gastric bypass, hernia repair, gallbladder removal were Wednesday June 8. I got to my room on Wednesday at 3:15pm. Surgeon told my husband it was a textbook case, and I was an easy patient.
My hospital does ERAS and it was fantastic. I had Tylenol, gabapentin and a nerve block on both sides of my abdomen. And an anti nausea patch. I do not metabolize anesthesia well and I was incredibly nauseous afterwards. Phenergen helped, but not the way I needed help. My surgeon switched to a steroid/ zofran cocktail and it works.
I’m getting ready to go home as I write this. Will update. Ask me anything you want to know.

How is your gas pain??? Please keep us updated on your recovery...good bad and inbetween! I want to hear it all 😉

Edited by Rebekahlynn9

How are the chest pains when swallowing as a result of the h hernia repair? That's the biggest pain/ discomfort I have.

I also had h hernia repair as well as g sleeve. Everything went smoothly for me. My surgery was at 8am and I was back home before 12pm.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:20 AM, SummerC said:

Hi guys! I did my surgery yesterday. All went well, no complications so far. I was back home in 3 hours! The only problem I have so far is horrible heart burn. It is so horrible that it hurts to take my crushed meds and even drink Water. Has anyone has this feeling?

I didn't have heartburn because they gave me this liquid to neutralize the stomach acid before surgery. It made me have a coughing fit behand. I did have pain in my chest area that I think maybe hunger pain idk. Everyday gets a little bit easier.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:54 PM, heroverthere said:

Super late to this one but I’m scheduled for 17 June
Yikes that’s close!

If you're on a full liquid or clear research YouTube for creative ways to do. I didn't know until too late and I really struggled. Best wishes

4 hours ago, amyyy817 said:

I feel good! I start the pre-op diet this week so I might say different later on 🤣

Mine starts the 15th, It's a 2 week but I have already been through back in Jan when i was 2 days away from surgery and they cancelled due to the covid rates going up. grr.