Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sure am happy to see all the positive posts about Dr. Kim.

My surgery is next Thursday

I am having a tough time with Optifast diet, a box of milk only goes so far, I want to chew on something

The Optifast diet is not easy, but I did ok with it, and you will too. I am still on it. Tomorrow will be my last day, I still have some so I will be drinking them while I am on Mushies. Have you had your appointment with Dr Kim yet. He is the greatest.

Dianne

Good luck Cowboy!!

You will do great next week!! Dr Kim is fantastic! I was banded on 1/17/08....so almost 3 weeks ago. I feel great...my glue has finally come off and my incisions are healing beautifully. The Optifast is a LONG 2 week pre-op but well worth it. It gives your body a nice store of Protein that will help you the first couple days post-op when you're not really drinking much in the clear liquid stage. The first 2 days post-op I lived on crystal light....and had to force myself to drink ....just wasn't hungry or interested at all. I'm a week into the mushie stage and kind of in a lull....I'm bored with it and also want to chew something. Hang in there.....being in bandland, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. No more yo-yo dieting....it feels so good to say that!!

Best wishes for your surgery and can't wait to hear how you're doing along the way.

take care~

Stacey

Hi y'all,

I'm considering Dr. Kim and because of my schedule I have not been able to go to any seminar. Can you briefly tell me what is included in the aftercare and for how long?

Thanks.

Good Luck Cowboy! My surgery is scheduled for the 25th. Received my Optifast yesterday and starting it on Monday. Dropinthisyear, here is what I understand about what is included; 6 months of support which means all your fills for 6 months. There is a limited amt of fills you can get in that time since you shouldn't get your first until 6 mos post op. I haven't met with my surgeon yet so if there is more, I don't know yet. the seminar is good. Try to get one.

Had my Post-Op visit with Dr Kim yesterday afternoon. I am schedule for my first fill on March 6th. I did not even think to ask where we are to show up. Stacy do you know? Last couple of days, I have felt much better. Today I get to start my mushies. I think this is going to be harder that the Optifast. What have you been eating?

I'm going to the Grapevine location for my first fill on 2/28. Although they had several locations to choose from......Irving, back to Prestonwood, etc... If you are going to Grapevine, I'll send you the address they gave to me. I'm nervous about it and considered just paying for it myself and going to Dr Kim's office. BUT, with all that I have already paid (self-pay surgery) I thought I better go with them for my 6 months of free fills.

Dianne...I can't tell you how much I am ready for this fill! The mushie stage is brutal (for me) compared to the Optifast. I've been living on mainly Soups b/c otherwise I over-eat. I feel hungry all the time. I've tried having 2 scrambled eggs for a meal.....tried cottage cheese with diced peaches (canned)....soft string cheese sticks....yogurt....but almost daily I have some kind of Campbells select Soup. My fav is the Minestrone (soft veggies and beans). I still have one Optifast shake each day b/c I'm worried that I'm not getting in enough Protein. Hope this helps. I've gained back a pound this past week on mushies. I'm trying no to freak out over it b/c I've read som many times that until i start getting fills, the restriction just isn't there now that all the swelling is gone. There is a seminar at Dr. Kim's on the 28th and I think another at TLC the week before. Are you planning to attend either of there?

That's what I was thinking. So far on the Optifast I really have not been hungry. But I know once on the mushies it's going to be harder. I think I am going to call the center back they told me to come to the Plano center. But there might be one not so far from me. Have you started to excercise yet. Dr Kim reminded me yesterday that the excercise is a must. I have not started yet, but I get with the program. Love to hear how you are doing, it helps me know whats next.

I haven't gone back to the gym yet....I hate it, even though I know it's a must. My exercise routine has consisted of walking our dog for 30-60 minutes depending on how cold it is. I feel great walking but didn't want to get back to the gym until all my glue came off the incisions. It was really itchy and uncomfortable on the port site. I've pretty much taken all the remainding glue off and everything is healing nicely. I need to go do the elyptical (sp?) though....that is my favorite. No stress or pounding on my knees.

I wasn't hungry at all either doing the Optifast. I still have a little over a case left, so maybe I should have two each day and then pick one of the mushies for my evening meal with my family.

I agree....it's nice to follow each others progress having the same surgeon and just one week apart:) Let me know if you come up with a wonderful "mushie" to try. I have one more week! thanks and good luck!!

I also have some Optifast left, so i'm going to drink 2 everyday and one meal of mushies to start with and see how it goes. I explained to Dr Kim yesterday I have not lost any weight since surgery and he said that is common. If I still am swollen from surgery the weight is hard to come off. But he was so nice and supportive. I can not say enough good things about Dr Kim.

Has anyone's dr really explained why the weight stops coming off after surgery. After doing all my reading on this board, it seems very common. Doesn't matter how few calories you eat, weight loss stops for awhile. I know that it will start again once you get to the right restriction. Just wondering how you can not lose weight when you are eating so little.

Good question. I was really disapointed, but now I am 3 weeks out and I did drop another 2 lbs. Even though the have the ok from the doctor to start the mushie stage, I really do not feel like eating.

I had a little set-to with Dr. Gonzales. We were so upset that we just pulled out of the whole deal.

I have to say, I'm amazed that they haven't said anything about having to pay them for the stuff they did. I'm sure Gonzales will hit us for the consult, but we haven't heard anything about this so far.

Anyhow, farewell for a while, and I hope all of you have the BEST of luck!

Angie in Texas, US

Oh No.....I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you have the option to choose a different surgeon? Are you going to try somewhere else to be banded or have you changed your mind? I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. If you can change surgeons....Dr. Kim is wonderful. He is based at North Hills Hospital. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Stacey

Has anyone's dr really explained why the weight stops coming off after surgery. After doing all my reading on this board, it seems very common. Doesn't matter how few calories you eat, weight loss stops for awhile. I know that it will start again once you get to the right restriction. Just wondering how you can not lose weight when you are eating so little.

very good question....I wish I knew the answer. I've been on mushies for a week and have gained a pound. It's kind of frustrating b/c I'm really hungry but trying so hard to stick with Soups and my Optifast once a day. I haven't really ventured too much with different foods b/c I feel like I can't trust myself to not over-eat at this point. I will have my first fill on the 28th and can't wait. I want to feel MAJOR restriction and only be able to eat 1/2 like I'm supposed to now.