Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2020 sleevers

I had my sleeve on 11/30. All went well and on surgery day I felt great with no pain. Then the next day I vomited all day long. I also had a problem where my IV came out and it took a surgical team to get it back in.

Now I'm doing much better. No pain and I am doing fine with liquids. I haven't lost a single pound yet but I'm assuming that will change soon.

1 hour ago, kalí̱ ygeía said:

We did it y'all! Congratulations! Our surgeries are behind us.... time to double down on our efforts as we go through the ups and downs that come with this drastic change in our lives. It's well worth it and we're going to be fine. It's not easy for everyone, but the veterans on this site tell us that it does get better.

My experience has been relatively easy. I've had some moments where the food didn't settle well and caused me heartburn, but fortunately no major issues. The incision sites do bother me from time to time, but I feel that soon enough I'll be able to lay on my tummy. I've been cleared for exercise, but haven't yet started. My arms are looking rather flabby, so am going to do arm weights! I'm in the soft food stage and am looking forward to getting to solid. I have noticed though that food isn't calling me like before. The family had pizza, but I didn't feel deprived. I didn't feel bummed out.

Although I did get annoyed and frustrated at all the changes (e.g. wanted to gulp down my water), I didn't have buyer's remorse. In the short term, it's already helped me with my health issues, so am grateful for that. I think we're all so blessed that we got to have our surgery this month considering that Covid cases are in the up everywhere.

@CelinaLambeth Sorry that you had such a crappy experience. Hopefully the rest will be much more smoothly.

@MommaJay Was your surgery outpatient? My surgeon didn't have me do a fanny pack. He just had me on pain meds, but fortunately by the second day didn't need any so never touched the ones at home.

Does anyone have a specific take on how often to weigh yourself? Do you do it daily, weekly, monthly?

THANK YOU for the advice for the long-term!! It definitely helps to know this tightness in my tummy won’t last forever!

I decided after surgery to weigh myself only weekly. Sundays are the day I’ve chosen. They say not to do it so often, but I don’t want to wait. At least for right now where I should be losing lbs pretty regularly, hopefully. 🤞🏽

1 hour ago, LaoDaBeirut said:

I had my sleeve on 11/30. All went well and on surgery day I felt great with no pain. Then the next day I vomited all day long. I also had a problem where my IV came out and it took a surgical team to get it back in.

Now I'm doing much better. No pain and I am doing fine with liquids. I haven't lost a single pound yet but I'm assuming that will change soon.

Kudos! I had nausea in the hospital really bad, I stayed one day after surgery (required). When I got home I haven’t really had that except for the first night. I blamed it on the purée of turkey and green Beans. I haven’t really had purée since. I’ve just been chewing my food really well. The pounds will come off, just be patient with yourself and the process! Best of luck that you see the numbers coming down soon!

2 hours ago, LaoDaBeirut said:

I had mine 11/30. I'm just trying to stay hydrated, I can't even tolerate Jello - it makes my stomach cramp. I'm drinking Water and Powerade. I haven't lost any weight either but I am SO swollen. So I know it's Fluid. I haven't gained any, so I know once the swelling goes away, the lbs will too.

Edited by MommaJay

2 hours ago, kalí̱ ygeía said:

@CelinaLambeth

@MommaJay Was your surgery outpatient? My surgeon didn't have me do a fanny pack. He just had me on pain meds, but fortunately by the second day didn't need any so never touched the ones at home.

Does anyone have a specific take on how often to weigh yourself? Do you do it daily, weekly, monthly?

No, I was inpatient. Almost for 2 days because of dizziness and blurred vision caused by the anesthesia. But fortunately, I got to go home! We pulled the tubes out last night and it was a game changer. I still take my pain meds at bedtime, I'm more sore than hurting.

I plan to weigh on Monday mornings. I started me pre op on a Monday, my surgery was on a Monday, just makes sense to me!

On 12/3/2020 at 12:06 PM, MommaJay said:

I had mine 11/30. I'm just trying to stay hydrated, I can't even tolerate Jello - it makes my stomach cramp. I'm drinking Water and Powerade. I haven't lost any weight either but I am SO swollen. So I know it's Fluid. I haven't gained any, so I know once the swelling goes away, the lbs will too.

Try different temperatures of Water. Shortly after surgery, I HAD to have ice water, or I would have severe, painful hiccups. It'll get better, though -- I am a bit over a month out (surgery 11/2) and can have pretty much anything now :)

I GAINED 8lb in the hospital from all the fluids and stuff they pumped into me. It all shed a couple days later, thankfully.

Hi All - New to this site (wish I discovered it before I was sleeved). Anyway was sleeved on 11/30 and I have been relatively surprised with how easy it has been. I was able to walk within a few hours coming out of the surgery and I was discharged first thing the next morning. I am down close to 10 pounds from my surgery date (losing about 2 pounds a day) and I am easily able to take my shakes and Water. I am actually a bit nervous that I can too easily take the shake as I can finish the bottle within a one hour sitting. Going to reach out to my doctor Monday but did find that to be alarming based on what else I am reading from others.

5 hours ago, GivinItMyALL said:

Try different temperatures of Water. Shortly after surgery, I HAD to have ice Water, or I would have severe, painful hiccups. It'll get better, though -- I am a bit over a month out (surgery 11/2) and can have pretty much anything now :)

I GAINED 8lb in the hospital from all the fluids and stuff they pumped into me. It all shed a couple days later, thankfully.

That's promising! I came out with a bigger belly lol, but I snuck on the scales this morning and I'm down 16lbs from my pre op diet (7 days) so I feel better. And yes! The temperature of the water has made so much difference, thank you. It's trial and error!

2 hours ago, Jared G. said:

Hi All - New to this site (wish I discovered it before I was sleeved). Anyway was sleeved on 11/30 and I have been relatively surprised with how easy it has been. I was able to walk within a few hours coming out of the surgery and I was discharged first thing the next morning. I am down close to 10 pounds from my surgery date (losing about 2 pounds a day) and I am easily able to take my shakes and Water. I am actually a bit nervous that I can too easily take the shake as I can finish the bottle within a one hour sitting. Going to reach out to my doctor Monday but did find that to be alarming based on what else I am reading from others.

My experience has been like yours. When I got to puree, it changed some. pureed salmon salad, turkey salad, and egg salad are filling me up. One third cup per meal. Cottage cheese and yogurt don't seem to. I just had the Ricotta bake that is so famous here, and it was awesome,and filled me up. First hot food in a month! Beside broth. Folks here are getting by on 300-500 calories a year out, and im at 500-700, three weeks out. That worries me, but I'm going with my program, getting my hydration and protien every day.

Hello, I had my surgery on 11/30. Since then I’ve been good and bad from hours to hours, feeling a pressure under my breast and then it goes away. It’s very uncomfortable. But I’m here to ask about your diets. I’m on exclusively liquid diet. But I heard some people had purée right after surgery? I am feeling no hungry but I miss food. I crave food. Sorry about my English as I’m Brazilian.

Hello, I had my surgery on 11/30. Since then I’ve been good and bad from hours to hours, feeling a pressure under my breast and then it goes away. It’s very uncomfortable. But I’m here to ask about your diets. I’m on exclusively liquid diet. But I heard some people had purée right after surgery? I am feeling no hungry but I miss food. I crave food. Sorry about my English as I’m Brazilian.
My plan called for full liquid for the first week, then soft/puree, but my surgeon said a lot of his patients start soft after a few days. I waited, because I had complications and didn't even leave the hospital for 4 days...

All plans are different. Some have Clear Liquids only for a week, then full liquids for another week, etc...

12 hours ago, bufbills said:

My experience has been like yours. When I got to puree, it changed some. pureed salmon salad, turkey salad, and egg salad are filling me up. One third cup per meal. Cottage cheese and yogurt don't seem to. I just had the Ricotta bake that is so famous here, and it was awesome,and filled me up. First hot food in a month! Beside broth. Folks here are getting by on 300-500 calories a year out, and im at 500-700, three weeks out. That worries me, but I'm going with my program, getting my hydration and protien every day.

I'm in a similar position and having no trouble with the liquids I'm supposed to be having. I'm on a 600 calorie full liquid diet for 2 weeks then transition to puree.

I'm not too worried I'm consuming more calories than some others. I'm going to lose weight whether I eat 300 or 600 calories a day they both cause a massive deficit.

22 hours ago, Jared G. said:

That's fantastic! I found it the same way. I had a little bit of pain around my sternum for the first three days. Not bad at all. I do find it comforting to wear the band pretty much 24/7 though even now. I was sleeved 11/2. I have lost 31 pounds since I began pre-op diet. Feeling good.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:56 PM, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I am struggling mightily to get in my fluids, never mind the Protein. The pain is a lot less today but my stomach hurts with every single sip. I have a feeling I’m going to get lectured tomorrow at my post op appointment. My goal today was to finish a 20 oz Gatorade zero and a Protein Water but I’m not even half done with the Gatorade yet. Sigh.

Wow! You are killing it with your weight loss! I struggle with the liquids too.