Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2020 sleevers

9 minutes ago, Hellie1028 said:

Omg, this is me today! Surgery tomorrow first thing. I’ve made it through the week of Protein Shakes and clears. I had to do bowel prep last night and I feel terrible today. I can only have clears. I tried to have some chicken broth but then it came back up so I haven’t eaten much. Can’t wait to be through tomorrow! Good luck!!

Same, I tried broth today and I was nauseated 🤢, I'm just drinking Water only today. Mines first thing tomorrow too!!! We got this!!!

Tomorrow is day 15 post. One week of puree finally. My wife and i went shopping today for food for this week. Can't wait for breakfast!!!

3 hours ago, MommaJay said:

I had the Orbera (didn't work for me), so I remember the days of nausea. I don't look forward to that. I knew this entire month would be tough, I just keep reminding myself it will end and "why" I'm doing it. Hang in there, this will pass soon!

What is Obera? I’ve never heard of that. THANK YOU for that!! It is so nice to hear that from someone who knows!! I think that’s been part of my difficulty, I don’t know anyone whose gone thru this, so I really appreciate you and your kind words! Let’s start a check-in with each other! That way none of us feel forgotten or alone. 🥳 Let me know whose interested?

15 minutes ago, PrettyBrown said:

What is Obera? I’ve never heard of that. THANK YOU for that!! It is so nice to hear that from someone who knows!! I think that’s been part of my difficulty, I don’t know anyone whose gone thru this, so I really appreciate you and your kind words! Let’s start a check-in with each other! That way none of us feel forgotten or alone. 🥳 Let me know whose interested?

Orbera is the gastric balloon. My husband is the only one that knows about my surgery so I'm here for advice and support as well. I'll definitely check in!

I’m on day 6 and still feeling pretty rough. I’m sure it’s because I’ve been consuming so few calories. Yesterday I slept almost all day. I’m really struggling with getting anything other than Water down. My fridge is full of opened Protein Drinks. I say “maybe I’ll try this again later”, but I don’t. I’m grateful to have this thread. It makes me feel a little less alone.

Good morning everyone! I'll try not to write a novel but my sleeve experience was difficult to say the least. I don't travel well so the flights to the hospital (our self pay facility was in another state) was stressful to begin with. That was nothing compared to the crap that was about to happen. We get a call from the surgeon the night before telling us that he hospital he has a contract with, will not allow elective surgery patients to stay overnight. They wanted their beds free and available for COVID patients. Mind you part of our self pay package included overnight care, My surgeon was embarrassed and livid to tell me that I would be doing my surgery as out patient and recovering in my hotel by the afternoon. My hotel? Like....no nurse care and its unsterile? Sure! Why not! I decided to be a champ and express empathy toward his obvious embarrassment. It gets worse though. 5:30 am after Uber drops us off, the hospital tells my husband (who was previously told as my care aide, he could accompany me inside) he is not allowed in the building. The lobby is empty, so it wasn't a numbers issue. Mind you, its 50 some odd degrees and raining. We explained that we are out of state and he cant "go sit in the car" as suggested. No go. So, he walked to a nearby store, bought a backpack and started touring the city, alone and picking up gifts for me. Such a sweetheart. After checking in and going through pre op alone, I was ready for surgery. The nurse told me that he had something to relax me but wanted me to "get on the other table".....ok. So there I am in the surgical suite.....being strapped down fully awake as they talk about tourism in my hometown. First my legs, then my right followed by my left arm. I started to panic but just let the tears run down quietly. I saw my husband when I woke up but the nausea was so bad, I opted to go back to sleep. Two more nausea meds and a suppository later (yes a nurse gave me one, I could have died) I was finally able to sit up and walk. Recovery in the hotel was awful. Getting out of bed came with sharp pain, tears and screams. I made it though....Went home two days after surgery and I am 6 days post op and feeling so much better. No bowel movement but I am so very thankful to be home.

20 hours ago, mono stereo said:

I’m on day 6 and still feeling pretty rough. I’m sure it’s because I’ve been consuming so few calories. Yesterday I slept almost all day. I’m really struggling with getting anything other than Water down. My fridge is full of opened Protein Drinks. I say “maybe I’ll try this again later”, but I don’t. I’m grateful to have this thread. It makes me feel a little less alone.

My sleeve was on the 25th. I am right there where you are with the liquids. I am so worried about dehydration. I know you dont want to hear this because you are exhausted but small walks after each serving of Water (drinking until full) will help it go down to make room for more. Keep trying. You are worth it.

I am so sorry for your experience. I had my surgery on 11/11 and thought that my husband wouldn't be able to come in, but the hospital allowed him, with the exception of my room that I stayed in for the night.

They also gave me a sedative as I was on the table for the procedure. I am just a bit more at ease - especially with your circumstances -- so I thought the timing was good.

I hope your pain reduces quickly and that you are successful with your journey.

I was by myself the whole time as well- Covid has really made things crazy.

I ran into someone today who’s husband got sleeved in August. She told me his weight loss has stopped-because he has started drinking soda again, and eating snack foods it sounds like. It just really highlighted for me how vital it is to not try to find ways to go back to how I was eating before. This surgery is not a slam dunk, and it requires a huge change in our relationship with food.

2 hours ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I was by myself the whole time as well- Covid has really made things crazy.

I ran into someone today who’s husband got sleeved in August. She told me his weight loss has stopped-because he has started drinking soda again, and eating snack foods it sounds like. It just really highlighted for me how vital it is to not try to find ways to go back to how I was eating before. This surgery is not a slam dunk, and it requires a huge change in our relationship with food.

It is deeply psychologically rooted in me to comfort eat. My family still does it individually. Death, illness, bad news, good news....all of it comes with tons of food from our grandmother straight to our doors. I have literally had a love affair with food for decades. This is like a divorce. Yes I can still have the foods I love but as a treat and in small amounts on occasion. Not daily contact like a close friend. I cant go back.

Hello all

Just wanted to thank everyone for this forum. I had my surgery 11/30 so I'm 1day post op it went extremely well and I had no pain. It was done as outpatient due to Covid. So happy its over and I can handle liquids no problems.

I appreciate having this site to read about others journey. Wishing all the best

Just joined today. I had my surgery 11/18 and was happy to see this thread!

I have had an easy recovery and am following all my instructions. Am trying to not worry about it but I have only lost about 5 pounds since surgery.

I had my surgery on 11/30, and I'm quite uncomfortable. I have tubes in a couple incisions administering pain meds to the area, so the fanny pack I have to carry around isn't fun. The Protein Water made me dry heave, but plain water is fine. I'm tired and very sore, but I know it will pass. I also got blurry vision, but is returning to normal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello I also had the sleeve done 11/30. All went well take your pain meds before the pain starts I hope you get better soon. It will pass

We did it y'all! Congratulations! Our surgeries are behind us.... time to double down on our efforts as we go through the ups and downs that come with this drastic change in our lives. It's well worth it and we're going to be fine. It's not easy for everyone, but the veterans on this site tell us that it does get better.

My experience has been relatively easy. I've had some moments where the food didn't settle well and caused me heartburn, but fortunately no major issues. The incision sites do bother me from time to time, but I feel that soon enough I'll be able to lay on my tummy. I've been cleared for exercise, but haven't yet started. My arms are looking rather flabby, so am going to do arm weights! I'm in the soft food stage and am looking forward to getting to solid. I have noticed though that food isn't calling me like before. The family had pizza, but I didn't feel deprived. I didn't feel bummed out.

Although I did get annoyed and frustrated at all the changes (e.g. wanted to gulp down my water), I didn't have buyer's remorse. In the short term, it's already helped me with my health issues, so am grateful for that. I think we're all so blessed that we got to have our surgery this month considering that Covid cases are in the up everywhere.

@CelinaLambeth Sorry that you had such a crappy experience. Hopefully the rest will be much more smoothly.

@MommaJay Was your surgery outpatient? My surgeon didn't have me do a fanny pack. He just had me on pain meds, but fortunately by the second day didn't need any so never touched the ones at home.

Does anyone have a specific take on how often to weigh yourself? Do you do it daily, weekly, monthly?