Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So 9 months post-op and I'm considered underweight. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this would happen and in fact, used to worry I wouldn't lose enough!

My aftercare has been lacking and I emailed the hospital director last week to let her know my BMI is too low and none of the team replied to my Nov/Dec emails. She sent a snotty email back saying that coz of COVID no one had replied. Of course, I'll be setting her straight tomorrow.

She did, however, get the surgeon to ring me but I missed his call :rolleyes:

I just can't get enough food in, which I told the dietician in Dec and she never rang back as arranged, so I've been bumbling along on my own. Still feeling very unwell and have been since the surgery, but it's a bit like I got put in the 'too hard' basket!

Any other bypassers have this eating weight loss issue?

6 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

Yup.

After fighting for a good 5 months that there is something wrong in the esophagus, telling them it is a stricture, getting told I am not a medic, and countless exams, I have gotten the memo that I have; hold on to your knickers: A stricture in the esophagus. How knew..😤

You need to have exams to rule out strictures, sibo, kinks, twists, hernias and whatever else internal rotation that can be wrong. I am not saying something IS wrong, but it needs to be ruled out. You also would benefit of a dietitian who can help you increase calories in the food without actually increase volume to much.

Love how they poo poo you when you know your own body, I have lots of bile coming up too, in fact, 1 night I inhaled bile in my sleep which obviously woke me, the pain of it in my airway was horrendous and I REALLY thought I was dying. They try to make out that I couldn't have but hubby and I are both acute care nurses and we both know what happened and that for 2 weeks after I had a wet chunky cough.

I think I am going to have to kick some butt with this hospital bloody dietician is useless too.

Edited by Bastian

Yup. At 9-12 months, I could not keep weight on, no matter how much I ate. I was literally stuffing myself. And now at 15 months out, I have started to gain. Others Feb 2019 ers have also started to experience this. I would say, "enjoy the ride while you can," When the honeymoon is over, it is over. Now I am going back to the basics to get those 7 pounds back off, and it is not easier the 2nd time around.

How about trying some of the higher calorie Ensure drinks? So you can increase your calories, but still get lots of nutirients?

Why do you think you’re underweight? A bmi of between 18 & 25 is considered healthy. My dietician told me she would be concerned with my bmi if I had deep hollows under my collar bones and around my shoulders because these were signs of being undernourished & underweight. In saying that, we all have different builds and weights at which we feel comfortable and you have to feel comfortable at your weight.

I hope you get somewhere with your medical team soon. They should be there to calm your fears & answer your questions not increase your concerns & frustrations.

11 hours ago, Bastian said:

1 night I inhaled bile in my sleep which obviously woke me, the pain of it in my airway was horrendous and I REALLY thought I was dying. They try to make out that I couldn't have but hubby and I are both acute care nurses and we both know what happened and that for 2 weeks after I had a wet chunky cough.

From your side banner your weight seems in healthy range on the BMI scale. But if you are feeling unwell then that’s something else.

Have you had your gallbladder checked out? You might need a HIDA scan with CCK and also check the bile ducts you could have bile reflux from the gallbladder. Rapid weight loss leads to gallbladder surgery for a large percentage of people. I had mine out during my surgery due to chronic inflammation.

I haven’t considered my weight too low yet, I’m still within BMI range for my height of 5’ though I did go past my goal. I probably shouldn’t go further. Some parts of me are just bony and we’re before losing weight. I’m not worried about it at the moment unless it effects my chronic illness. I feel like I eat as much as I can.

I Do still have issues and know how it’s a pain dealing with doctors. I had been told some months back now, that I had stricture, Schatzki’s ring, sliding hiatal hernia. My surgeon did one balloon dilation but it was so narrowed it likely needed several. But I made the mistake of having my gastroenterologist do my second endoscopy since I was told I needed a colonoscopy which I regretted afterwards. I won’t get into why.

i kept telling the dr I’ve been having such intense pain and spasms under my ribs on the left side where the remnant stomach is. I had history of ulcers there. I’m having a double balloon enteroscopy June 10th. It was postponed we’ll actually canceled since I discussed it with my surgeon in February, didn’t see the special gastroenterologist until March and couldn’t schedule the test until April and then it got canceled ... that wasn’t even the only medical test to be canceled indefinitely.

had to try to edit myself I write too much and I realize, I’m sorry I’m no help. It can be hard to pinpoint what the problem might be. The surgeon needs to know in case they need to run any tests. Try increasing your Protein intake. Mixing plain Fage Greek yogurt (Or TwoGood yogurt) with PEScience select Protein Powder tastes really good.

protein I use: http://rwrd.io/c6uus2e

Edited by Darktowerdream

Going thru this now also - I have found WLS doctors to be not the go to - See a throat guy, My issue is also the throat from the Surgery. Seems the hose down your throat and the acid reflux caused a restriction. I am set to got in and stretch the throat shortly! Due to covid 19 a Freakin mess.

Took me months to figure out why i could not eat alot, Thought it was a stricture but turned out to be a throat issue.

Not to beat a dead horse but i had to resort to insane ways to get in calories, ensure drinks and yes i use candy and Junk food to pile on 300 calories a day. Things like crackers and Bar cheese, Fritos and dips, Halloween size candy bars stopped the loss. Be careful they can develop bad habits, I have insane will power so for me it is just calories, but Easy calorie boasters. Not good choices but can cause a stall if used properly.

Go slow when i started i over did it and tossed it up! I mean really slow like two little candy bars a day Half at a time. the sugar will get you big time. Once i figure out how to get the surgery done will stop this bad behavior but for now buying me time

Do you think you could handle high calorie Protein Shakes? Like ones meant for weight lifting/muscle building? Obviously check with your doctor first, but that may be an easy way to get in more calories.

On 5/26/2020 at 1:50 AM, WInston223322 said:

Going thru this now also - I have found WLS doctors to be not the go to - See a throat guy, My issue is also the throat from the Surgery. Seems the hose down your throat and the acid reflux caused a restriction. I am set to got in and stretch the throat shortly! Due to covid 19 a Freakin mess.

Took me months to figure out why i could not eat alot, Thought it was a stricture but turned out to be a throat issue.

Not to beat a dead horse but i had to resort to insane ways to get in calories, ensure drinks and yes i use candy and Junk food to pile on 300 calories a day. Things like crackers and Bar cheese, Fritos and dips, Halloween size candy bars stopped the loss. Be careful they can develop bad habits, I have insane will power so for me it is just calories, but Easy calorie boasters. Not good choices but can cause a stall if used properly.

Go slow when i started i over did it and tossed it up! I mean really slow like two little candy bars a day Half at a time. the sugar will get you big time. Once i figure out how to get the surgery done will stop this bad behavior but for now buying me time

I was biting my tongue on this but it’s not smart to suggest candy bars or junk food. When there are plenty of healthy options out there. Like avocado, Protein Shakes like labrada lean body which are higher calorie and Protein range but still very low carb and sugar.

I’m a little confused I guess, I know you are 6’ 3” which is far off from my height of 5’ but even at your height a healthy weight range is considered 150-190lbs According to BMI charts which is BMI 19-24. You would have to weigh 140 or less with a BMI of 18 to be underweight for your height.

maybe you aren’t getting enough protein for your weight rage. Try calculating your daily protein based on your weight. 0.36 grams protein per 1lb body weight, minimum.

im not trying to offend anyone I apologize in advance. But sugar and junk food is a terrible idea to turn to after bariatric surgery. If you have stricture, I’d think these would be difficult to eat too.

I know there are healthy things but they did not work for me. I ate alvados and all the healthy ones and still was losing - It took the sugar boast to get my body from burning fat to burning sugar! Trust me I was shocked when my Nutra girl added M and M s to my daily feed plan. But it did work. You have to find something to cause a stall is all i was saying. There was a lady on here months back that had to drink a glass of wine to keep her stall. She tried everything but seemed that sugar boast at night stalled her. I have seen may posts on how to stop losing on here from wine to butter to shakes to sugar. Everyone is different

I TOTALLY AGREE DO NOT DO Sugar UNLESS YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO NOT GO BACK TO OLD HABBITS. Will power!

There is no way with this frame i can get to 160 pounds, I would look even more feabile then i do now. at 200 I am to thin according to those who are around me This pictures was taken at 208 No way i could lose another 48 pounds

Dog named boo.jpg

12 hours ago, WInston223322 said:

I know there are healthy things but they did not work for me. I ate alvados and all the healthy ones and still was losing - It took the sugar boast to get my body from burning fat to burning sugar! Trust me I was shocked when my Nutra girl added M and M s to my daily feed plan. But it did work. You have to find something to cause a stall is all i was saying. There was a lady on here months back that had to drink a glass of wine to keep her stall. She tried everything but seemed that sugar boast at night stalled her. I have seen may posts on how to stop losing on here from wine to butter to shakes to sugar. Everyone is different

I TOTALLY AGREE DO NOT DO Sugar UNLESS YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO NOT GO BACK TO OLD HABBITS. Will power!

There is no way with this frame i can get to 160 pounds, I would look even more feabile then i do now. at 200 I am to thin according to those who are around me This pictures was taken at 208 No way i could lose another 48 pounds

Dog named boo.jpg

I apologize I am thinking in terms of metabolic disorders and inability to process sugar more than willpower. I battled sugar addiction many years ago. Some people just can’t process sugar the same way. I am still shocked it was recommended to you since there are healthier ways to get sugar like high quality honey (nature nates) mix up drinks similar to what people do before exercise. Either loaded with healthy fats like bulletproof coffee or healthy forms of sugar.

i agree 160 on a larger 6’ 3” male frame is not realistic especially if you have muscle. 180-190 is healthy range. But you look awesome and congratulations on your success. I hope that you get the stricture resolved soon. I’m dealing with issues myself. Had two stricture dilations. And a double balloon enteroscopy scheduled June 10th that was postponed for months due to Covid.

I Don’t want you to think I’m being critical. I just studied nutrition and there’s other ways to manage weight. If you have a Vitamin Shoppe that’s open they can advise you as well. I think a good Protein Bar can help you a lot more than candy.

I’m no expert but The main thing is you want to sustain and You want to build muscle to maintain your weight. And Protein is one key to that. Try doing resistance exercise, not to lose but to build muscle. Actually Pilates is good since it gives you longer leaner muscles.

I wish I had the ability to do that. My Chronic health issues don’t allow for it.

you definitely don’t look like you need to lose 48lbs. You look healthy.

all the best :)

No offense taken, I have a cabinet full of Protein Bars and better ways then sugar blast, But as weird as it seems they do not work for me. A big problem is I am extremely active now, So burning off tons of calories. Once i hit the weight and got all the Vits and Minerals in line I have gone Bat Poop crazy - Riding the Harley, Fishing, Taking the Dog all over the place, Just way to active. Me and My Nutra girl tried everything, Honey and Avacodo was the go to. In fact I bought Hives and have bees at my office to make High end Honey. No go! I used to eat 3 oz of honey in oatmeal every day and put honey on steak, Her guess is I need to be blasted with all the Freakin Chemicals and Preservatives in Proccessed food. FYI that is what got me into this mess was the Food Industry chemicals and Sugars. The old Less fat more sugar scam. So far this week been holding pretty good without any Bad foods. Ok maybe some Beer Nut bar mix, and some Canned cheese Whiz. But Have not lost anything this week.

PM me when you get a chance i just Pm you

AJ

@ All you not-that-long-out-of-surgery-people: enjoy the situation of being able to eat what you want while being at a normal or near-normal BMI as long as it lasts. I for sure do. No pseudo-complaining. No humble-bragging. Carpe diem!

@Bastian You might want to get help for that bile reflux. It's awful to have.

On 5/26/2020 at 4:22 AM, Darktowerdream said:

From your side banner your weight seems in healthy range on the BMI scale. But if you are feeling unwell then that’s something else.

Have you had your gallbladder checked out? You might need a HIDA scan with CCK and also check the bile ducts you could have bile reflux from the gallbladder. Rapid weight loss leads to gallbladder surgery for a large percentage of people. I had mine out during my surgery due to chronic inflammation.

I haven’t considered my weight too low yet, I’m still within BMI range for my height of 5’ though I did go past my goal. I probably shouldn’t go further. Some parts of me are just bony and we’re before losing weight. I’m not worried about it at the moment unless it effects my chronic illness. I feel like I eat as much as I can.

I Do still have issues and know how it’s a pain dealing with doctors. I had been told some months back now, that I had stricture, Schatzki’s ring, sliding hiatal hernia. My surgeon did one balloon dilation but it was so narrowed it likely needed several. But I made the mistake of having my gastroenterologist do my second endoscopy since I was told I needed a colonoscopy which I regretted afterwards. I won’t get into why.

i kept telling the dr I’ve been having such intense pain and spasms under my ribs on the left side where the remnant stomach is. I had history of ulcers there. I’m having a double balloon enteroscopy June 10th. It was postponed we’ll actually canceled since I discussed it with my surgeon in February, didn’t see the special gastroenterologist until March and couldn’t schedule the test until April and then it got canceled ... that wasn’t even the only medical test to be canceled indefinitely.

had to try to edit myself I write too much and I realize, I’m sorry I’m no help. It can be hard to pinpoint what the problem might be. The surgeon needs to know in case they need to run any tests. Try increasing your Protein intake. Mixing plain Fage Greek yogurt (Or TwoGood yogurt) with PEScience select Protein powder tastes really good.

On 5/26/2020 at 4:08 AM, Arabesque said:

Why do you think you’re underweight? A bmi of between 18 & 25 is considered healthy. My dietician told me she would be concerned with my bmi if I had deep hollows under my collar bones and around my shoulders because these were signs of being undernourished & underweight. In saying that, we all have different builds and weights at which we feel comfortable and you have to feel comfortable at your weight.

I hope you get somewhere with your medical team soon. They should be there to calm your fears & answer your questions not increase your concerns & frustrations.

BMI charts are just a guide as they don't take in your frame or muscle mass. I AM underweight, I have bones sticking out everywhere and am getting pressure areas on my hips/shoulders and knees when in bed.

I have been seen now by the surgeon and dietician and am to have an urgent CT and swallow test. I've had urgent bloods and have protein malnutrition and am low in other nutrients so been prescribed super strength multi vits, high dose zinc and vit B12 injections, which I've started, the B12 injections have been stopped in the UK for most and they all had to go on to oral due to COVID, but I started the day they got my bloods back. So am set up for 2 per week until the end of the month.

Again due to COVID 'urgent' isn't very quick. Just hope I stop feeling so ill soon though because I currently have a very low quality of life.

I can't do dairy or whey, due to severe new dairy intolerance post op and the vegan ones taste fine but they are all I can get in during a day which means protein is still way too low but then everything else is too.

Hopefully not long though and I'll start feeling human again :)

On 5/26/2020 at 4:22 AM, Darktowerdream said:

had to try to edit myself I write too much and I realize, I’m sorry I’m no help. It can be hard to pinpoint what the problem might be. The surgeon needs to know in case they need to run any tests. Try increasing your Protein intake. Mixing plain Fage Greek yogurt (Or TwoGood yogurt) with PEScience select Protein powder tastes really good.

no gallbladder, had it out years ago. The surgeon thinks it's something mechanical, but my surgery wasn't straight fwd (sleeve to bypass in 2 weeks), so not surprising it's a mechanical issue (if it is). Gosh you've been through the wars too, bless you!