Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allowing for occasional treats

Hi.. I'm a little over six months out. I've been on a pretty strict diet over the past month or so after finding out I cant just eat less of all the bad stuff I used to eat and still lose weight.. heh.. but ya.. I had a cup of ice cream tonight.. the first dessert I've had in a decent amount of time. My calorie count for the day with the scoop included is still fairly ok a bit over 1400 for the 2 meals I ate. I'm just wondering how others deal with this kind of stuff. Did I make a huge error? Or is it ok to have a treat once or twice a month?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

There are two prevalent of thoughts on this subject. Some will say that you should not deprive yourself and if you have it in moderation you'll be good. Others will say that you should not eat the stuff that made you obese to begin with and now is the time to reset your food plan. It's different for everyone. Since I am a compulsive overeater and the type of person that cannot eat only one I chose to reset my food plan. There was a reason that I was obese with a heart condition, diabetes, acid reflux, gout, high blood pressure and other assorted maladies. I cannot not eat one so I eat none. It's not for everyone. I look at WLS as a golden ticket to good health. I know that I will only get this one golden ticket and I have to make the best of it. I cannot speak for others as I know only about myself and my past track record with dieting and managing food.

I was 100% successful at failing at every attempt at keeping off whatever weight I lost. I have to be strict with myself. This April made one year that I have kept to my goal weight. That year is over and now I am working on year number two, one day at a time. Will I be successful? From past experiences it doesn't look promising. I take it one day at time and use all the support and resources I can to get through the day. Then I work on the next day. Losing the weight after WLS for me was the easy part maintaining it is now my full time job.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I almost never went off my plan until I hit maintenance. The one time I remember eating ice cream while in the losing phase I literally had like two tablespoons of it. But then, I know myself too well. I'm at high risk of straying and sabotaging my weight loss. Happened millions of times prior to WLS.

I'm coming up on 5 months post-op and I'm scared to death to try a "treat" for fear of it becoming a habit again. I'm waiting until I've lost all the weight and hit the maintenance phase. I eat approx. 850 calories/day.

I myself made too may fun food detours early on so i began to rethink my plan and I fall firmly into the school of thought of having things super rarely occasionally during the losing phase and making sure its the best over all substitution

Like vacation foods while abroad, birthday allowances, Halotop vs Reg Icecream etc... (and really only at a special events/times not everyday/week)

Good Luck 💜

Edited by GreenTealael

I’m 6 months out. I’ve allowed myself to go “off plan” while on vacation - some from necessity because it’s hard to know exactly what you order when in a foreign country, some to allow myself to enjoy the local delicacies (like a mini pasty now and again). But I am 99.99% on plan at home. I had a small spoonful of my friend’s dessert and about 1/4 glass of wine on my birthday, but that’s it in 6 months. But, frankly, it kinda helped that I was sick as a dog for months 3-5 and could barely eat anything at all.

I typically do not go off plan, which is 800 to 100 cals and fewer than 30 carbs per day. However, Saturday night I went to a Cinco de mayo party and chose not to try to log my intake. I know I didn't overeat, but I had a margarita which contains like 3 days worth of sugar and carbs. It was yummy! No resulting weight gain and back on track the next am.

I fall into the moderation camp. I took many food detours along the way. I know that I don’t do well with deprivation. So it worked for me, but may not work for others.

I have no camp here---I understand the strict restriction club, because I have terrible control. I can have none or seven. If I am to succeed this is where I will need to live most days.

That being said, during my past year I was more in the moderation camp in practice. I lost weight (117 pounds in the year) however I could have done much much better if I cut out all the treats I allowed myself. So yes, you can have those treats once or twice a week but it will slow you down, and you won't get the full benefit of your WLS. I think staying strict until you hit maintenance is the best advice, it is actually the advice my nutritionist gave me (and I didn't take). She said the scoop of ice cream, the slice of pizza is ok once in a while but wait until you are at goal. I wish I listened because I know I would have been at goal by now if I did.

Good luck!

Honestly, what I'm planning on doing for "treats" is making things that kind of taste like treats but in reality have the necessary Protein and low carbishness for my plan. Or buying things off the BariatricPal Store.

I don't want to risk dumping if I can avoid it.

My doctor and NUT do not want me to be deprived.
They feel there is a place and time for everything, dessert included.

Their advice to me is to not make it an everyday thing and when I do have it, to include it with my meal.
I am to have my Protein first, my veggie and then instead of whatever carb I have with my dinner (half the time I can't even get to that point, I am so full) to have whatever that dessert is. 9 out of 10 times, I am only able to have a bite or 2 of it.

Sounds like a Plan, Stan!

I am 7 months and haven't really craved anything. I did buy the diet ice cream bars that have like 11g of carbs max in them. I am not a sweets person though; I am a carbs person. BUT, I have so thoroughly ingrained in my head that if I dare eat refined sugars or white flours or too many carbs, I will experience dumping (which I did once right out of surgery... could NOT tolerate condensed soup) and I never, ever want to feel that again. I eat pretty much the same food every single day and that works for me, personally. I don't feel deprived. Food is fuel, not for enjoyment anymore.

Edited by mousecat88