Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caltania, why was your provider suggesting the sleeve instead? My doctor is the opposite and feels that bypass is the better surgery...

23 minutes ago, Caltania said:

Congrats Kimmie, that's fantastic news! You got this! *cheers* And you're the same week as me - I'm the 11th 😄

Thanks so much! Cheers right back atcha!

3 minutes ago, amaynard said:

Caltania, why was your provider suggesting the sleeve instead? My doctor is the opposite and feels that bypass is the better surgery...

Her reasoning seemed fairly sound. There is a comparable amount of weight loss with the sleeve (from what I've seen it's slightly less, but still more than enough for what I'd need). There's a lower risk of complications from having the sleeve vs. RNY. Absorption is not overmuch affected by the sleeve vs. RNY. Dumping is less of an issue with the sleeve. But as odd as it sounds.. I'm OK with assuming the extra risks, and I'd prefer to have the risk of dumping syndrome, etc. I know me, and I want the extra tools in my toolkit to help me keep the weight off. Not to mention my insurance will only cover one procedure in the course of my lifetime, and while I may have a different insurance someday, it's unlikely...

Caltania, I totally get it... My provider gave me the option but was leaning more toward the bypass as he states it’s an 80% weight loss on average of excess weight whereas the sleeve is more like 65%. I need to lose about 110lbs so I decided I needed the extra tool as well.

1 minute ago, amaynard said:

Caltania, I totally get it... My provider gave me the option but was leaning more toward the bypass as he states it’s an 80% weight loss on average of excess weight whereas the sleeve is more like 65%. I need to lose about 110lbs so I decided I needed the extra tool as well.

I'm with you! I don't know if I'll ever hit a "normal" weight, but I know I should still lose at least about 100 lbs if I can swing it. I think the only thing that frustrated me was that originally my surgeon had said I could have either procedure, but then pushed extremely hard for the sleeve at both appointments about it. But I know she's just doing her job and making sure I understand the risks. I also tend to feel uncomfortable pushing back on medical advice of any kind, but... I really feel like the RNY is going to be the better long term tool for me.

Well tomorrow is my visit with my surgeon. My surgery date is June 3rd. So I see I have a few surgery buddies. I am a bit nervous but I have been going back and forth for a few years now with the decision of WLS. So now It's time to put up and get my "1985" back. That is what I will call my post op body.... The 1985 Leda🤣

Yay surgery sister!! I'm nervous too, but we can do this!!!!

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 05/16/2019 at 10:21, Caltania said:

I'm with you! I don't know if I'll ever hit a "normal" weight, but I know I should still lose at least about 100 lbs if I can swing it. I think the only thing that frustrated me was that originally my surgeon had said I could have either procedure, but then pushed extremely hard for the sleeve at both appointments about it. But I know she's just doing her job and making sure I understand the risks. I also tend to feel uncomfortable pushing back on medical advice of any kind, but... I really feel like the RNY is going to be the better long term tool for me.

I get it totally. Your surgery date is 6/11? Mine is tentatively 6/28 but may be sooner. Crossing my fingers for a little sooner!

Yea my surgeon made the comment that 50% of people who start the journey don’t make it to where we are. So if you’re doubting yourself right now, chew on that. It actually really boosted me from my doubts. I can do this. We can do this. We all want it and want success and a healthier life.

Yea my surgeon made the comment that 50% of people who start the journey don’t make it to where we are. So if you’re doubting yourself right now, chew on that. It actually really boosted me from my doubts. I can do this. We can do this. We all want it and want success and a healthier life.
50% wow, I never really thought of it that way. It did take me a while, I inquired about it in Aug of last year and my ins did not req pre reqs but it still took me till Feb to jump in. I had a bad mind set though and ate really bad. Just kept telling myself I better eat this and that because I'll never have it again. Then finally straightened my ass up yesterday. I dont want a fatty liver and then have to open me up. My pre op teaching appt is the 23rd so we'll see what surgeon puts me on then.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

13 hours ago, Batty2000 said:

Purpledva! I'm having mine a few days after on the 7th. My husband is originally from Midlothian, so I've spent some quality time down by you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm southwest suburbs & I might be interested as well. Could use a local support group of some kind!

I am back from my visit with the surgeon. Everything looks good and he gave me the all CLEAR🤨. I asked about the results of my "abnormal ecg/ekg". I told him that since I had the results (from all the scheduled tests blood, etc), I had been consulting Dr. Google.😲 He told me that since I have diabetes (Type 2 on Metformin), it may eventually lead to heart disease. So that may be the cause of the reading on the ekg/ecg. I had a previous ecg/ekg in August and there were no issues. So there I sat in the chair. It seemed all surreal. I have finally made it to the finish line. After about 8 years of stopping and going, I am there. I am both happy and sad. Only sad because there will be some foods that I will have to definitely give up. But I will be gaining so much more in the end. I recently reviewed by medical summary from 2017 to the present. In June 2017, I weighed 262 and today I weighed 228😮. I was amazed because I did that with a few changes in my eating patterns and I try to get in atleast 4-5 miles of waking each day (if possible). So after surgery, I can hopefully get rid of 80lbs or so. My goal weight is 140 but I will accept anything between 140 -155. I did ask about swapping out some of the Protein Shakes (during my pre-op diet) for the Protein Soups that I have seen @ the Bariatric Pal Store, My surgeon suggested that I follow their diet strictly by the book at least for the first 6 months then after that I can experiment with whatever I want. So, I am going to listen to my surgeon. Anywhoo, as Trinity said in one of my favorite movies, The Matrix............."I'm IN"

1 hour ago, JanJan19 said:

I'm southwest suburbs & I might be interested as well. Could use a local support group of some kind!

JanJan,

That would be wonderful. I am open to the idea of meeting up. Welcome to the JuneBunch........ You Got This!!!!

5 hours ago, amaynard said:
5 hours ago, Caltania said:

I get it totally. Your surgery date is 6/11? Mine is tentatively 6/28 but may be sooner. Crossing my fingers for a little sooner!

Yep! 6/11 is still tentative, but the last steps are in motion now, and I've been booked for all of my pre-op visits as though my surgery is on the 11th. I had to push to get mine as early as I did, but I'm flying my parents out to help keep me company while I'm recovering, so I had that working in my favor for an earlier appointment date!

I hope you can get an earlier date if you want one - if you're anything like me, you're rather eager to have this done and be moving on with life! 🙂